Cord Cutters | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
no YES either
Correct. At this point, only DirectTV Stream (formally AT&T TV) has YES.

My autopay for DirectTV Stream automates on 10/1, so I canceled my subscription w/ the Yankees regular season ending just a few days after.

I'll switch back to FuboTV on October 1st, which has MSG and all of the college basketball channels I need. It'll save me about $25/month. Will go back to whichever streaming has YES in April.

Reaction Score
DirecTV stream looks like the way to go, I'm paying $150 for regular DirecTV with 3 receivers and HBO. Would save me about $50 and that would be great, but will they ding me for equipment or is DirecTV Stream an app on Roku?

Reaction Score
DirecTV stream looks like the way to go, I'm paying $150 for regular DirecTV with 3 receivers and HBO. Would save me about $50 and that would be great, but will they ding me for equipment or is DirecTV Stream an app on Roku?
Regular DirectTV is slightly sharper than streaming signals.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I told YTTV to suck it today.

I had been pissed at the price point for past year and it kept going up and adding stuff I didn't want.

I'm overseas for a bit now and you can't watch YTTV from a foreign IP address. Can't get in via a VPN either (Or at least not through the VPN I use).

I"m out of streaming for a bit. I think when it's time to return I'll go with Hulu and their package of Live + the rest of their package.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?
In the New York metro area YouTube TV has SNY, Fox sports one and two, all the ESPN’s and CBS Sports net.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do you have a Samsung or LG smart TV? There may be an app directly from the unit.
Also if you have Google hub on the same network that will also play YouTube TV. It’s handy when you want to make a sandwich or something during a game.

CL82

Reaction Score
I cut the cord a month ago using You Tube (plus STARZ add on) for $50 and Netflix for $11. I will remove the STARZ add on after Outlander finishes in January.

I get all the UCONN games.

There really is no DVR per se. You tell YouTube TV that you want to record all UCONN husky games or all Blacklist shows. You will get a link to the show in the cloud. Yes you can select on a team instead of a show to record. You click once and all the shows are available with a click. They eventually age off but they are in the cloud for a long time. No need to concern yourself with space.

My cons:

You cannot record just one episode. You get all or nothing.
Using your phone instead of the remote control is different. You can not channel surf as easily with YouTube TV.
No last channel watched option.

Overall, I am saving about $80 a month from my cable bill. I am glad to have cut the cord.

The last time I cut the cord, I was helping deliver my two children in the hospital 25 years ago.
If you double click the back button on YouTube TV it will take you to the home screen in the home screen will list all the shows that you are recently watching. So you can go back-and-forth between two, or more games that way.

my knock against YouTube TV is that on my old 1080 P LG smart TV YouTube live through the TV comes out at less than optimal resolution even though I have FiOS gigabyte service. The work around is just casting through chrome or another attached device, but that’s a little cumbersome. For what it’s worth every other app I have, including regular YouTube is fine it’s just YouTube TV live that is the issue.

Reaction Score
I went to YTTV in my new house. For the most part - I really like it. And I was spending $250 a month on DTV.

We don't watch a ton of live TV - and most of the sports I want - it has.

But yesterday was a bummer - first time in 15 years without Sunday Ticket. But look at what I'd have to pay to get it - not worth it. At some point they have to allow you to buy NFL games to stream.

Was also super disappointed that DirecTV stream - you can't add NFL to that. You have to have the equipment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to YTTV in my new house. For the most part - I really like it. And I was spending $250 a month on DTV.

We don't watch a ton of live TV - and most of the sports I want - it has.

But yesterday was a bummer - first time in 15 years without Sunday Ticket. But look at what I'd have to pay to get it - not worth it. At some point they have to allow you to buy NFL games to stream.

Was also super disappointed that DirecTV stream - you can't add NFL to that. You have to have the equipment.
You know any college students? They can get it for only $100 and you can stream it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
LoCast was what we used on the other 2 basement TVs, DirecTV on the other.. Nothing like LoCast exists, but my next move is an OTA Antenna.. They are much stronger than they used to be, should be able to stream it right to the television - in theory.

OTA is not for everyone - it's very location-specific.

Try this - Go to RabbitEars.Info and pull up your address on the map. When you get the results, post the shareable URL (in a PM if preferred), and i can point you in some direction.

CL82

Reaction Score
Great information from everyone - thank you very much.

I haven't read anything about landline phone options. We currently have Comcast's Triple option with TV, Internet and Phone for $240/mo.Two years ago it was $160, which I was okay with. I've heard horror stories about Frontier's service, so I'm looking for options that include a landline phone (for at least a few more years).
Pretty much the only people who ever called me on my landline were solicitors. (And why British attorneys keep calling me, I’ll never know.) I don’t miss it.

Reaction Score
But yesterday was a bummer - first time in 15 years without Sunday Ticket.
Same, I've had Sunday Ticket for many years until this year (switched to YouTubeTV). Giants suck anyways, so I avoided getting aggravated yesterday afternoon. You can almost guarantee NFL will go to some streaming service in the near future...hopefully soon.

Reaction Score
With YTTV, if there is a particular NFL game you want to watch that's airing outside of your market on Sunday, you can use a gps faking app on your phone and set your location to that area and then update your playback area in the YTTV app. (Don't change your home area).

Might look sketchy to Google if you're constantly changing it all day long, but I do it for my GF. She's a Falcons fan and I don't care about football so I just set our playback area to Atlanta for the whole season.

Reaction Score
With YTTV, if there is a particular NFL game you want to watch that's airing outside of your market on Sunday, you can use a gps faking app on your phone and set your location to that area and then update your playback area in the YTTV app. (Don't change your home area).

Might look sketchy to Google if you're constantly changing it all day long, but I do it for my GF. She's a Falcons fan and I don't care about football so I just set our playback area to Atlanta for the whole season.

I haven't tried that - but might do so - I only care about Packers games. Glad I missed that one though :)

Reaction Score
If you double click the back button on YouTube TV it will take you to the home screen in the home screen will list all the shows that you are recently watching. So you can go back-and-forth between two, or more games that way.
Actually the Home screen is just top picks for you. If you arrow down to TV Networks that shows the last 4 networks you were on.

Reaction Score
Plus:
Good RSN coverage
Multi-view (it's friggin awesome on football saturdays!)
4K content (though notably missing the newest ESPN stuff)

Cons:
No Turner networks, which is a big pain for March Madness and NBA fans
Costs a bit high

I got super excited when you said multi-view on Saturday's. I looked it up, only available on Apple TV.

CL82

Reaction Score
Actually the Home screen is just top picks for you. If you arrow down to TV Networks that shows the last 4 networks you were on.
When I go to my home screen I get a recently watched line and it shows the most recent shows I’ve watched.

I didn’t know about the network thing. I’ll try that too.

Reaction Score
Is this review accurate? It seems that cloud based should be accessible from anywhere. I work for a cloud company so this makes no sense to me.

There aren't many cons of YouTube TV. Another drawback of YouTube TV is that it does not offer the option of offline viewing. ... Even their DVR is cloud-based, so if you want to watch your shows while travelling or without using mobile data on the go, YouTube TV is not for you.

Reaction Score
Is this review accurate? It seems that cloud based should be accessible from anywhere. I work for a cloud company so this makes no sense to me.

There aren't many cons of YouTube TV. Another drawback of YouTube TV is that it does not offer the option of offline viewing. ... Even their DVR is cloud-based, so if you want to watch your shows while travelling or without using mobile data on the go, YouTube TV is not for you.

I just re-read this and it appears to be off-line viewing only. I am assuming I can connect from anywhere and access content.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom