Cord Cutters | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
That’s too much to sift at this point. You keep your internet provider as I just did Comcast at $74 a month or whatever. Youtubetv. You need Roku device for each tv unless it’s a smart tv after 2016. I had to buy new Roku’s because The old ones were too old, and there are other brands. Youtubetv has a list of devices that work with their service. They just added some channels like HG and Food and Discovery but they have the local channels and all the sports pretty much. They sit now at $49 a month. So that’s $123 a month. If UCONN is streamed it will be another $5 or $6 for ESPN +? Yanks, RS, Mets, Fox 61 for football, ESPN’S. lots of sports.
This may be my best option. I’ll try the Reddit idea for the Knicks. Thanks for the advice!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe the best thing about Millenials is the constant crying about income, alongside the constant reminders they are perfectly comfortable stealing the value of other’s work product.

Ok it’s not the best thing - but it is funny.

Why would I pay for cable - I don’t like anything on tv (goes back to illegal reddit stream of cable programming).

I think I’ll stop at Dunkin (rip 2nd d) and tell them I don’t like the size cups they sell coffee in and just grab a couple of ounces and walk out without paying.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My millennial cousin-in-laws are funny. The younger left a job with oracle (sales but de facto telemarking) to work at a brewery. I asked him if the finances were going to work. He said “oh yeah, I did the math”. Fast forward 4 months- he hates the job and can’t afford his apartment. Wants his mom to kick a tenant out of her apartment so he can live there for 6 months and then move to NYC.
The older one borrowed some money from us to pay medical bills after breaking her foot in Thailand on vacation (she’s teaching in Shanghai). Three weeks later she’s complaining that she doesn’t have money for a summer vacation when she flies back to the US. Hasn’t paid us back yet either.

Reaction Score
Reddit is great for streams. I just moved and got cable for my apartment, and I'm 50/50 on the choice. For me it ended up being about $10 more for cable than going internet + YouTube TV.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?
I've got four letters for you: IPTV. Solves all your needs and for a lot less than the combo of options you've cobbled together.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They are on YouTube TV

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

True in theory but in practice everyone I know shares accounts. The issue will become worse as more and more streaming projects emerge, e.g. Apple but in reality, until they disallow using 6+ accounts per subscription it's still a good deal. If it gets too expensive/complicated, torrents will become popular again. For now, the price point is competitive enough but these companies are walking a fine line.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
"Paying five different streaming services a total of 50 or 60 dollars to get some of we want instead of a little more to get a lot of what we want - well, I think a lot of people would prefer the package deal," said Atlas Media founder Bruce David Klein, a veteran television producer and cable expert.

I'm not quite sure where this guy is getting his math. If you're not paying to stream live cable, then sure you're going to miss out on stuff you want, but choosing one of the skinny bundles (DirecTV NOW, PS Vue, Hulu Live, etc.) and then getting Netflix, Disney+, whatever streaming service you want that has your shows, you're still paying a lot less than traditional cable. The only cable package that will come close is if you get basic cable on a multi-year contract, and that's not going to get you premium channels, or even semi-premium (no extra sports channels, etc.).

Cutting the cord is still the best bang for your buck content-wise. The platform isn't going to be as intuitive, and streaming as opposed to having a physical wire means traditional cable will be a bit more reliable, but those are different concerns. And ones I can live with for saving $100+ monthly.

Reaction Score
How much does Hulu, Youtube tv charge for their live streaming? I'm reading 40 a month. Does that include all the BS fees that the cable companies charge you too?

Reaction Score
YTTV going to $50/mo next month. They're adding HGTV and similar channels. No options to keep current package and price. I'm a big fan of YTTV but not afraid to switch to a cheaper option so long as it carries Golf Channel

Reaction Score
How much does Hulu, Youtube tv charge for their live streaming? I'm reading 40 a month. Does that include all the BS fees that the cable companies charge you too?

It's $50 a month now. Just changed it, but added more channels. There are no add on fees. $50 is what you pay. Same with Hulu, not sure what they charge though.

Reaction Score
Its all about the internet costs too. So hard to find a dedicated internet only price that makes it worth it. Luckily the Hartford/West Hartford area is getting GoNetSpeed fiber in a lot of neighborhoods that makes it worth it.

50 bucks for 150 mb/s and then I have Hulu Live. Nice part about the streamable Sho and HBO is that you can just subscribe whenever you feel like it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Anyone have Verizon Highspeed internet. What taxes/fees are added. I looked at the fine print and saw a 12/mo modem charge.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe the best thing about Millenials is the constant crying about income, alongside the constant reminders they are perfectly comfortable stealing the value of other’s work product.

Ok it’s not the best thing - but it is funny.

Why would I pay for cable - I don’t like anything on tv (goes back to illegal reddit stream of cable programming).

I think I’ll stop at Dunkin (rip 2nd d) and tell them I don’t like the size cups they sell coffee in and just grab a couple of ounces and walk out without paying.

It didn’t start with them.

Remember when Napster came about and all of a sudden, the record companies were robber barons for charging $10 for a compact disk?

GemParty

Reaction Score
Its all about the internet costs too. So hard to find a dedicated internet only price that makes it worth it. Luckily the Hartford/West Hartford area is getting GoNetSpeed fiber in a lot of neighborhoods that makes it worth it.

50 bucks for 150 mb/s and then I have Hulu Live. Nice part about the streamable Sho and HBO is that you can just subscribe whenever you feel like it.

The guy who coordinated our cord cut/ new WiFi network has done 600 families in West Hartford. He tells me he just got approvals on the telephone pole to offer Internet. West Hartford is his proof of concept town for lower cost internet. LeBlanc Tech Services/GoNet. Smart kid. Going to be wealthy as he branches into other towns.

Reaction Score
The guy who coordinated our cord cut/ new WiFi network has done 600 families in West Hartford. He tells me he just got approvals on the telephone pole to offer Internet. West Hartford is his proof of concept town for lower cost internet. LeBlanc Tech Services/GoNet. Smart kid. Going to be wealthy as he branches into other towns.
Kick Comcast in the nuts, good. This town thing would be great.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Internet from satellite companies will come eventually. Cable companies will be out of business.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom