Cord Cutters | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
youtubetv just jumped from $40 to $49 because they added channels including HG and Food (wife channels). I just cancelled my Philo so the $9 increase offsets $16 Philo.

Reaction Score
Not cord cutting per se, but kinda. I have Triple play with Comcast: internet, cable, voice for my home office land line. I have a cell phone through ATT for $65/month. That charge kills me, my cell phone use is small and I use no data.

I just switched the cell to Xfinity mobile. Talk and text is free, pay by the gig for data. Your calls go through your modem wifi. On the road it searches for an Xfinity hot spot, lacking that it puts you on Verizon. From what I've been told it will around $9/month. I'll be setting up the new phone this weekend. We'll see.

I do feel a little dirty being all-in with Comcast.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
5 things to know about Disney+
3. A Disney streaming bundle may be the next step: Disney's streaming brand is bigger than just its new service. Disney also owns ESPN+ and a controlling stake in Hulu.

Kevin Mayer, the chairman of Disney's Direct-to-Consumer unit, told investors that it was "likely" that Disney will eventually bundle its streaming services together for a "discounted price."

Disney Plus is 6.99. That takes a lot of upside out of a bundle.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
youtubetv just jumped from $40 to $49 because they added channels including HG and Food (wife channels). I just cancelled my Philo so the $9 increase offsets $16 Philo.

I’d do the same but the kid likes Nick & Wife- Hallmark movies. Disappointing it went up $9. Once they switch you over from cable, they will all start walking up their prices..

Reaction Score
I have YouTube TV and love it. With new changes I am paying the additional $5 to pay through Apple. Have no idea why I pay through Apple. Must have set it up that way when I first joined. Would rather it just go to my debit/credit card. Anyone know how to change the way I get billed to avoid the additional charge? Tried to fix it yesterday with no success. Online help has not been helpful at all.

I'm not sure where to go, but I have my account set up through PayPal and just pay through there every month. Makes it easy cause it just self debits out of checking account.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying I do it **wink, nudge**, but Reddit links are useful sometimes during football season.

Make no mistake though it is stealing. Just like the Black Box was back in the day and more recently JustinTV, HomerTV, Wiziwig, etc. were. Heck, my entire entertainment package would be free if I had certain passwords for Hulu, Netflix, HBO, and a nearby wi-fi hot spot.

Alas, my wife complained about our cable recently, so I've put on my to-do to do a more serious analysis into cutting the cord. My kids are 6 and 3. The 6 year old will be able to pick up the new process with no issues (though we will need Nickelodeon, apparently.). The 3 year old mainly watches YouTube Kids on a tablet already.

I'll need HBO, Showtime, any channel that airs Boston Area sports, UConn Football and Basketball, and a DVR-type service. The biggest thing I'll miss (if we go this route) is the voice remote. I'll also probably have to get my own Netflix account, as I will be taking my Comcast password away from my friend who traded me Netflix. I'll also need a good VPN.
Yeah, not having kids helps and my wife is simple. Just likes movies(nexflix free through T-mobile) and watching her Brazilian soap operas re-runs on Youtube. I like watching some news, UCONN basketball, Liverpool and Red Sox(MLBTV app free from T-mobile) and movies. I did like Counterpart and Highlander on Starz but I'm not paying for it since the prior has now been cancelled. I guess I'm a good candidate for cord-cutting as I don't watch a lot of TV. The one thing I do miss with cable is 5.1 surround sound. Most the streaming tv don't have this so it sucks. I got over it though when factoring in the $65-$115/month(depending on the months UCONN is playing) I will save.

Reaction Score
I personally hate the You Tube TV change. They should have made those extra channels a $10 option instead of making everyone pay for it. Now I'm considering a change. Unfortunately I really like it, but I don't like paying $10 for something I don't want or need.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Curious, where do you go to stream for free?

Reddit. During cfb season I go to the reddit cfb streams page, same for college basketball. I get network tv right now so have access to all nfl games, but could do the same for nfl if I didn’t. It’s not technically legal, but who really cares about that?

Reaction Score
Reddit. During cfb season I go to the reddit cfb streams page, same for college basketball. I get network tv right now so have access to all nfl games, but could do the same for nfl if I didn’t. It’s not technically legal, but who really cares about that?
Yah, I go to reddit too and it is not technically legal as you said, but not many people care but I did get chastised (I feel unfairly) earlier in the thread for saying I watch games via streaming.

So yah, I guess reddit is the best free source then. Thanks.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

my kind of religious guru. do you sell indulgences?

Reaction Score
I personally hate the You Tube TV change. They should have made those extra channels a $10 option instead of making everyone pay for it. Now I'm considering a change. Unfortunately I really like it, but I don't like paying $10 for something I don't want or need.

They pretty clearly just wanted (or needed) to raise prices and just grabbed a few more channels to justify it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
my kind of religious guru. do you sell indulgences?

I just don’t think that my streaming a game for free really has a serious impact on the nfl or ncaa. Their model just sucks. I’d pay $10 per month to watch college football or the nfl, I don’t want 4000 channels at $250 per month so I can watch Tulane stomp us

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I just don’t think that my streaming a game for free really has a serious impact on the nfl or ncaa. Their model just sucks. I’d pay $10 per month to watch college football or the nfl, I don’t want 4000 channels at $250 per month so I can watch Tulane stomp us

i don’t care if people stream - I just am
excited to have my spritual advisor play it fast and loose with the rules. slippery slope baby

Reaction Score
Getting rid of my cable. What are the best non-cable options that would ensure I could at least watch UConn Basketball, the Knicks, and Yankees. All opinions would be greatly appreciated

Reaction Score
That’s too much to sift at this point. You keep your internet provider as I just did Comcast at $74 a month or whatever. Youtubetv. You need Roku device for each tv unless it’s a smart tv after 2016. I had to buy new Roku’s because The old ones were too old, and there are other brands. Youtubetv has a list of devices that work with their service. They just added some channels like HG and Food and Discovery but they have the local channels and all the sports pretty much. They sit now at $49 a month. So that’s $123 a month. If UCONN is streamed it will be another $5 or $6 for ESPN +? Yanks, RS, Mets, Fox 61 for football, ESPN’S. lots of sports.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Pay the fat donor fee and make your way to XL with your season tickets

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member