Cord Cutters | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Its a little bait and switch re ESPN+ and ESPN3. I have a DirectTVNow Go Big pacakge. It originally gave me ESPN3, but then it was cut. I pay for ESPN+. But I cannot get any ESPN3 content, such as the ACC Network so I am blacked out of the UCONN UVA game today. I expect the carriers to keep pulling moves like that, there will always be something you can't always get what you want for cord cutters

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Provide me with another alternative while abroad that is cost effective. I only want to watch Uconn bball.

That's fine. There are not many, but then your participation in an American cable cord cutting thread is kind of puzzling.

Reaction Score
That's fine. There are not many, but then your participation in an American cable cord cutting thread is kind of puzzling.
I lived in the states for most of my life, well 27 of my 34 years! The past 5 years I have been out. But ok, I will end my contribution to the thread here!

Reaction Score
I'm still a DirecTV guy until there is an easy way to watch Packers games without the Sunday Ticket package.
It boggles my mind that Direct is still allowed exclusive rights for NFL games. Their subscriber base would probably get cut in half if they lost that.

Reaction Score
Just went with AT&T fiber with their 300 mbps plan for $50 for 12 months. Will have to negotiate on Internet next year. Hopefully I can keep a good rate. I have PlayStation vue which I’m loving especially with multistreaming up to 5 TVs when people are at my house. So paying $99.99 right now with no extra fees. Will cut my psvue package from 49.99 to 44.99 now that UConn’s season is over until soccer season(Liverpool fan)is also done in May. I will get rid of PlayStation vue for June through August. Then I will just use over the air hd attena(local channels), free mlbtv through T-Mobile, free nextflix through T-Mobile and will buy starz for $8.99 to catch up on counterpart and outlander. So will only pay 58.99 for June through August and then start up PlayStation vue again in late August/sepetember to start watching soccer and then Uconn. I love the flexibility of controlling my prices compared to Comcast who was initially going to charge me 165 and then 149 all fees for preferred with blast internet.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
6 months in and I am totally satisfied with the combo of YouTube TV, Netflix and Prime Video.

Honestly, I'd even get rid of Netflix at this point (hardly ever use it), but I let my parents use my account and I don't have the heart to cut them off.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
6 months in and I am totally satisfied with the combo of YouTube TV, Netflix and Prime Video.

Honestly, I'd even get rid of Netflix at this point (hardly ever use it), but I let my parents use my account and I don't have the heart to cut them off.

So much good TV you're missing out on.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
So much good TV you're missing out on.
I'm sure there is. Maybe it's just the stage of life I'm in with a toddler running around, and I'll be back to binging on TV series in a few years. There are still a few shows I keep up with. But I find I spend much more time listening to podcasts these days, even around the house.

Reaction Score
The issue for me with cord cutting is that there’s no service for me to get all of the channels my wife and I watch. I’m a big sports guy so I need SNY, the ESPNs, YES, MSG, MLB Network, NBA TV, NFL network, CBS Sports, etc. My wife needs HGTV, Food network, Travel channel, FXX, HBO, Hallmark, etc. For us to cut the chord we’d have to go multiple providers to get all of the channels we need, so adding up multiple streaming services plus $45/month for internet plus the landline (we get little cell service in my house so we have to have a landline or we don’t sometimes get calls that go through on the cell) it’s just not worth it for me.

I had Fronteir triple play and was paying $210 or so a month for their second highest package, but the internet was awful (never got faster than 24 download and 9 upload). Made the switch in 3/1 to Charter Spectrum and while they don’t have whole home DVR (on demand makes up for this) I’m now getting refugular speeds of 230 down and 15 or so up, plus all of the channels I need.

As for pricing, I’m paying about $200 right now but for me it’s worth it. 4 TVs (only 2 are smart), landline and 200 minimum download speed. When price goes up I’ll switch to Frontier again for a few months then go back. I do this every other year or so. Always get the best rates and comes to about the same with streaming.

Other thing that worries me (bc this happened with frontier), if we streamed everything and the interner went down we’d be left with nothing. At least this way when the internet inevitably goes down (bc most do from time to time with an outtage) we’ll still have the TV.

Reaction Score

Too me prime is worst due to not having any worthwhile movies to see.

Reaction Score
YouTube TV (in Florida) gets all UC games - Except those on ESPN News. But you can watch those games later on the ESPN3.Com app on your TV.
You just can't watch it live.
ESPN3.com requires you to have a TV subscription to watch live.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The cords been cut!! Although, I have a concern. Cox 83.99 for Internet 1 terabyte.

No clue how much I’ll use with 2 TVs & devices streaming? I was told an average per month is 700 gb? I chose Roku, & I’m under the impression, when the tv is off it’s still drawing some data use. I’d like to avoid overages or buying 500gb for $30 or unlimited for $50. Any suggestions?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The cords been cut!! Although, I have a concern. Cox 83.99 for Internet 1 terabyte.

No clue how much I’ll use with 2 TVs & devices streaming? I was told an average per month is 700 gb? I chose Roku, & I’m under the impression, when the tv is off it’s still drawing some data use. I’d like to avoid overages or buying 500gb for $30 or unlimited for $50. Any suggestions?

What is the download speed of that 1TB cap/ month?

Reaction Score
YouTubeTV with an Android phone. Spoof the location to Green Bay then you get local channels from there. I do it all the time for wife's Packers games.
I use an iPhone but have a few older android phones around. I live in FL so would love this option. Is there an app or is it a programming option?

Reaction Score
I use an iPhone but have a few older android phones around. I live in FL so would love this option. Is there an app or is it a programming option?

Basically you download the app FakeGPS on your Android phone and then open it and move the location in the app to where you want to be. Them hit play. It will spoof your location while the app is running. Then open YouTubeTV and go into settings and change your local viewing to your new location. It will use that spoofed GPS location and all local channels will appear on your new guide

Reaction Score
1 month of cord cutting complete and there’s no suffering. Youtubetv, Philo and Netflix with Comcast internet $75 a month(only one available). For those who wonder and I’ve had Comcast and Directv in the past, it takes a bit longer to switch channels. Now and then the picture fuzzes but it’s rare. Had to have Roku because Firestick would not work. The important thing is that I can use it at my daughter’s house tv to watch sports and anywhere I travel. Comcast does not stream to TVs in other locations just mobile devices. I may go back someday but they will have to cut me a sweet deal because I’m saving $119 a month. Now I don’t get HBO but the only program I watched I can get online at Youtube next day. Philo will get your wives the channels they watch Like Hallmark and home fixitshows at $16 a month and it has History etc, it’s 45 channels alone. Question, how many Xmas love stories/decorating your house shows can a wife watch in one day because I think mine holds the record. I don’t get it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I’ve officially dumped DirecTV after something like 17 years and started with HULU Live. My $196 monthly bill is now $49.99. Don’t feel like I’m missing anything but I’m sure something will pop up eventually on HBO or Showtime that will get me to pay the extra $$$ for one/both of those. I’m also poaching Netflix and Amazon Prime from my mom and Sling (although I’m not sure that gets me anything I don’t have in HULU Live) from my girlfriend. Wish I would have done this sooner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom