Cord Cutters | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Exactly right. One of the things I noticed as I compared all the cable replacement plans, Hulu, YouTube, PlayStation etc. is that every single one of them was missing a channel or two that we watch. Whether a sports channel I wanted, HGTV, Discovery, the American History Channel my wife watches, they all picked off a pricey channel or two to drop.

And they certainly don't have the convenience my X1 remote provides of voice activated navigation across cable, on demand, Prime, Netflix, YouTube and ESPN3. Very clever of Comcast to turn their cable box into a streaming device, so that it provides all in one access. I say "UConn basketball" and whatever it is on, it comes up. That has value.

It sure does. I love all those things too. But I get why many dont care about it, or need it. And again, thats fine.

But thats the extension of this conversation. Is that just to do an a apples to apples channel comparison you are going to almost be at a equal price point. Once you start factoring in voice recognition, multiple room DVR's, OnDemand options, and mobility, if you wanted to pay for your own tech to simulate that integration you would be paying a lot more.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
x1 is expensive but it’s awesome. way better than any streaming service.

In what ways? The interface, channel surfing, dvr?

I dont care. More power to you.

But the point that gets lost, is yes, you pay less, but if you paid for all the services I have so we could compare apples to apples. you wouldnt pay less.

Im not saying its you specifically (im using your post as a jump off) but that is the always unspoken thing among cord cutters, that they fancy themselves as some kind of "I beat the system genius" for their willingness to save money using lesser products.

and thats fine. Every individual has different wants and needs when it comes to this stuff. But none of you are beating the system. You are settling for less as a compromise for saving some money. And there are millions of people this works for because they have narrow viewing needs tied to specific interests.

Anyone with half a brain who does an apple to apple across the board comparison knows you dont save money on this. And you know who knows that the most? The companies offering these services. Their price points are set exactly where they need to be to maximize enticement for subscriptions while getting every dime they can out of it. They know exactly what that threshold is.

All cord cutters are doing is choosing the a la carte option that many would like to (rightly) see cable companies offer.

That's it.

I get what you're saying and I definitely don't mean to come off as a know-it-all who beat the system. I just legitimately love the service and hated forking over big bucks for cable every month when I don't need or want 90% of the content.

So, in the limited view of this message board, the question is always "what streaming service can I order to watch every UConn game?". To me, that's YTTV. If it was a general entertainment question, then to your point it's not going to be apples to apples.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In what ways? The interface, channel surfing, dvr?

I get what you're saying and I definitely don't mean to come off as a know-it-all who beat the system. I just legitimately love the service and hated forking over big bucks for cable every month when I don't need or want 90% of the content.

So, in the limited view of this message board, the question is always "what streaming service can I order to watch every UConn game?". To me, that's YTTV. If it was a general entertainment question, then to your point it's not going to be apples to apples.

The integration of everything. Netflix, ESPN3, on demand, the guides.

My bill is ridiculous and the premium isn’t worth it to most people clearly but it is by far and away a better product.

August_West

Reaction Score

My bill is ridiculous and the premium isn’t worth it to most people clearly but it is by far and away a better product.

dont forget Amazon and YouTube

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dont care. More power to you.

But the point that gets lost, is yes, you pay less, but if you paid for all the services I have so we could compare apples to apples. you wouldnt pay less.

Im not saying its you specifically (im using your post as a jump off) but that is the always unspoken thing among cord cutters, that they fancy themselves as some kind of "I beat the system genius" for their willingness to save money using lesser products.

and thats fine. Every individual has different wants and needs when it comes to this stuff. But none of you are beating the system. You are settling for less as a compromise for saving some money. And there are millions of people this works for because they have narrow viewing needs tied to specific interests.

Anyone with half a brain who does an apple to apple across the board comparison knows you dont save money on this. And you know who knows that the most? The companies offering these services. Their price points are set exactly where they need to be to maximize enticement for subscriptions while getting every dime they can out of it. They know exactly what that threshold is.

All cord cutters are doing is choosing the a la carte option that many would like to (rightly) see cable companies offer.

That's it.

The streaming solutions and a la carte are long term bad for sports fans. Wait until you see what it costs when 60 million non ESPN viewers aren’t subsidizing.

August_West

Reaction Score

when was your last contract? I was paying (after all the fees and everything) like 335 a month for the full triple play enchilada. A few months ago I pullled the "cancel" bit to get to customer retention and knocked off about 100 a month off the bill, I did give up Cinemax, Movie Channel and the LOL ID Network. Cinemax stung a bit but the Movie Channel and ID , big whoop. Still have HBO Showtime and everything else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
when was your last contract? I was paying (after all the fees and everything) like 335 a month for the full triple play enchilada. A few months ago I pullled the "cancel" bit to get to customer retention and knocked off about 100 a month off the bill, I did give up Cinemax, Movie Channel and the LOL ID Network. Cinemax stung a bit but the Movie Channel and ID , big whoop. Still have HBO Showtime and everything else.

I’m off contract and 300 for triple and 5 hd tvs. I’ve been meaning to call but clearly perfer wasting my time here.

The only premium I care about keeping is HBO - they can have the rest of them. I found my wife watching blockers the other night and the amy schumer movie where she thinks she is pretty yesterday so she may need an intervention.

“it’s so bad I can’t stop watching”

Reaction Score
I’m off contract and 300 for triple and 5 hd tvs. I’ve been meaning to call but clearly perfer wasting my time here.

The only premium I care about keeping is HBO - they can have the rest of them. I found my wife watching blockers the other night and the amy schumer movie where she thinks she is pretty yesterday so she may need an intervention.

“it’s so bad I can’t stop watching”
Blockers wasn't that bad

August_West

Reaction Score
And the xfinity stream app. Also very good.

It really is.

I watch a lot of the HBO and Showtime stuff through phone and Pad Apps when Im traveling. And the xfinity stream App is so good I no longer deal separately with the HBOGo app or the Showtime anywhere App. Why? I can do it right out of the xfinity App. I never liked the setup on the HBOGo App for launching shows anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure if already been mentioned... YouTube TV can hold up to 3 devices with the same password, I believe. Has anyone "shared" log-in info with another family/friend? If so, how is the quality there?

Reaction Score
Not sure if already been mentioned... YouTube TV can hold up to 3 devices with the same password, I believe. Has anyone "shared" log-in info with another family/friend? If so, how is the quality there?

You don't share the same username and password. You set it up so your account is shared using their own username and password. The quality is the same as what you would get. Also they have their own DVR and it doesn't interfere with what you have recorded. Pretty nice set up actually.

Reaction Score
I just got YTTV. Nice app that will keep improving. Best part is not having to deal with Cox every time a promotion ends. 3 hour calls were not unusual. What a racket. Basically no competition. Still getting internet with them. Lost the home phone. Saving $725 a year.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Anybody use an IPTV company? Gives you live cable, movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, etc.) and the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB packages - all for under $40 a month.

I know somebody who uses one of the IPTV providers and it does work great. I think he paid just $200 for the year. With that said, I would not recommend the paid IPTV route. He has to send this IPTV provider IP adress for the service to work...no thanks. There are plenty of free ones that can be found using the force of the internet.

I am still looking for a good live sports option. I cancelled Xfinity a few years ago when my triple play reached about $200/mo and could not be happier. I pay $90 for the fastest internet I can get in my area (I own my modem and Wi-Fi router) and $5/mo for Ooma to cover the landline issue (Comcast wants $40/mo) and use Netflix and Prime Video for shows and movies. An over the air HD antenna gets me the NFL season at no cost.

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
When you cut the cord & stream with a Roku/Firestick are your channels in HD anymore?

Reaction Score
When you cut the cord & stream with a Roku/Firestick are your channels in HD anymore?
Absolutely.

I have a Roku that feeds into my year-round Fubo service (for Rangers, Yankees, lots of college bball) and use Sling during CBB season for ESPN. With the new AAC service, I might drop Sling altogether and just use ESPN+ for AAC and their other college basketball offerings.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Is the ESPN+ channel different than the ESPN3 that you get with a cable subscription? How much is it if it is different?

Yes it's different. ESPN3 aka watchespn gives you access to espn broadcasts that are not in your area. ESPN+ is bonus content, behinds the scenes of Duke basketball , etc. ESPN + also has live sports on it that do not appear on the major ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Never had cable in my adult life. I use my laptop and things like youtube, etc. with an hdmi cable to my tv to watch what I want. Ripped tons of dvds of seinfeld, curb, everybody loves raymond, futurama, king of the hill, etc. in the past and have them on my laptops as well as many other great tv shows. I have everything I need, cable offers nothing for me. Well, I have to use reddit streams for Uconn bball, but otherwise, I have everything I need.

yeah if you steal everything then yeah paying for it does seem stupid

August_West

Reaction Score
Never had cable in my adult life. I use my laptop and things like youtube, etc. with an hdmi cable to my tv to watch what I want. Ripped tons of dvds of seinfeld, curb, everybody loves raymond, futurama, king of the hill, etc. in the past and have them on my laptops as well as many other great tv shows. I have everything I need, cable offers nothing for me. Well, I have to use reddit streams for Uconn bball, but otherwise, I have everything I need.

sounds miserable, but more power to you if it works for you.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, but I live abroad. Not many options to watch Uconn bball here. It is all soccer here. Fball is gaining a following, but not many care about the nba and college ball is basically unheard of here.
Where do you live where American football is gaining a following and nobody really watches basketball?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom