Cord Cutters | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I just checked my cable bill and notice "Other charges" being $12. What the hell are "other charges?"
Who’s your provider Tom? Each cable company seems to have different fees. I know Comcast has a regional sports fee and a broadcast tv fee plus state taxes. Does your bill show either of those?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Who’s your provider Tom? Each cable company seems to have different fees. I know Comcast has a regional sports fee and a broadcast tv fee plus state taxes. Does your bill show either of those?

Charter.net. It's kind of bogus to be charged for something, but not told what it's for. I probably should check my bills more often.

Reaction Score
Charter.net. It's kind of bogus to be charged for something, but not told what it's for. I probably should check my bills more often.
You were told what they are for. What dont you understand about "other charges"?

Reaction Score
I feel that we are just in the infancy of streaming. It’s going to be more seamless and competitive as time goes on. I hope that 5 G will make it better and faster but the cable companies are dinosaurs who bank on a big part of the older population not wanting to bother trying something new, just flip it on but they will age out.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I looked at the 5 major providers. You Tube looked good but lacked food and Hallmark which my wife wants. So the penultimate Playstaion package looks best for us.
Am I missing something and what would be my one time costs?
We now pay $300 a month for Comcast with HBO, a land line which we will drop and internet. This would cut it in half minus whatever I need to buy to transition.
Youtube TV just added Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend. No Hallmark though. Bad news is their price is going up to $49 a month.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Youtube TV just added Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend. No Hallmark though. Bad news is their price is going up to $49 a month.
And it begins.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Thanks. Even with the bike in price, it is cheaper than the PlayStation package I would need. I would love to not have Hallmark but I answer to a higher authority.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Not a fan.

Yes, I'd like those additional channels and like I can wait at any time.

But, I'd like options to keep existing package. May have to vote with wallet and give Hulu Live another look.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Even with the bike in price, it is cheaper than the PlayStation package I would need. I would love to not have Hallmark but I answer to a higher authority.
For me with PlayStation vue I get all the same channels for 49.99 and when Uconn’s Season is over I can go to 44.99 package or just pick up sling for cheaper option. Don’t people switch streaming services throughout the year to save money?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For me with PlayStation vue I get all the same channels for 49.99 and when Uconn’s Season is over I can go to 44.99 package or just pick up sling for cheaper option. Don’t people switch streaming services throughout the year to save money?

I've been staying with the combo of Netflix, Amazon and You Tube TV for about a year now and really don't have the need to adjust throughout the year.
Do people shut off HBO streaming when GoT is off the air and sign up just to see new episodes? Asking honestly because I don't know.

Reaction Score
I've been staying with the combo of Netflix, Amazon and You Tube TV for about a year now and really don't have the need to adjust throughout the year.
Do people shut off HBO streaming when GoT is off the air and sign up just to see new episodes? Asking honestly because I don't know.
I would believe so. I know I would do that with starz if they didn’t cancel counterpart. I will definitely go to sling now that college basketball season is over. It is all about saving money when I’m not watching certain channels throughout the year. I’m not a huge tv watcher though. I like to get outside and enjoy my life.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Best option IMO is just getting Netflix or Hulu and internet. I only watch sports for TV, and you can stream almost any sporting event for free these days

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would believe so. I know I would do that with starz if they didn’t cancel counterpart. I will definitely go to sling now that college basketball season is over. It is all about saving money when I’m not watching certain channels throughout the year. I’m not a huge tv watcher though. I like to get outside and enjoy my life.

I live in an area where I don't get all the local networks with an OTA antenna. You Tube TV gets me all the local news stations.

Now that World Curling championships is over, I could drop down to a sling package. NBC Sports and Olympic channel have gotten way more viewing from me than I anticipated. I watched more luge, skeleton, bobsled, downhill and Super G the past 3 months than I had in a decade (No, I don't watch slalom. That's dweeb viewing right there).

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the time when I can pick my channels and pay accordingly. Providers have license fees per channel...they should just say for $50/month, you can pick based on the fee per channel...would solve a lot of issues for users

Reaction Score
Best option IMO is just getting Netflix or Hulu and internet. I only watch sports for TV, and you can stream almost any sporting event for free these days
Where do you stream almost any sporting even for free? Do you use reddit for the links? I always have issues with too many pop ups on my computer with those.

Reaction Score
I live in an area where I don't get all the local networks with an OTA antenna. You Tube TV gets me all the local news stations.

Now that World Curling championships is over, I could drop down to a sling package. NBC Sports and Olympic channel have gotten way more viewing from me than I anticipated. I watched more luge, skeleton, bobsled, downhill and Super G the past 3 months than I had in a decade (No, I don't watch slalom. That's dweeb viewing right there).
Yeah, Sling has the 3 month special going on right now for $15/month for Blue or the Orange package. They also have blue and orange combined package for $25/month. I might try that for 3 months as it will get me through my soccer season, Liverpool fan and watching some of the Gold Cup for USA. I will probably switch back to Playstation vue after that ends for the $45 package and then upgrade to the $50 once Uconn's season starts.

Reaction Score
5 things to know about Disney+
3. A Disney streaming bundle may be the next step: Disney's streaming brand is bigger than just its new service. Disney also owns ESPN+ and a controlling stake in Hulu.

Kevin Mayer, the chairman of Disney's Direct-to-Consumer unit, told investors that it was "likely" that Disney will eventually bundle its streaming services together for a "discounted price."

Reaction Score
I have YouTube TV and love it. With new changes I am paying the additional $5 to pay through Apple. Have no idea why I pay through Apple. Must have set it up that way when I first joined. Would rather it just go to my debit/credit card. Anyone know how to change the way I get billed to avoid the additional charge? Tried to fix it yesterday with no success. Online help has not been helpful at all.

Reaction Score
5 things to know about Disney+
3. A Disney streaming bundle may be the next step: Disney's streaming brand is bigger than just its new service. Disney also owns ESPN+ and a controlling stake in Hulu.

Kevin Mayer, the chairman of Disney's Direct-to-Consumer unit, told investors that it was "likely" that Disney will eventually bundle its streaming services together for a "discounted price."
There’s going to come a point in time where the market crashes for streaming tv. Over time people are going to get priced out.

To stream Disney content now you have to buy a Disney package on top of having Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Spotify, etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Where do you stream almost any sporting even for free? Do you use reddit for the links? I always have issues with too many pop ups on my computer with those.

I'm not saying I do it **wink, nudge**, but Reddit links are useful sometimes during football season.

Make no mistake though it is stealing. Just like the Black Box was back in the day and more recently JustinTV, HomerTV, Wiziwig, etc. were. Heck, my entire entertainment package would be free if I had certain passwords for Hulu, Netflix, HBO, and a nearby wi-fi hot spot.

Alas, my wife complained about our cable recently, so I've put on my to-do to do a more serious analysis into cutting the cord. My kids are 6 and 3. The 6 year old will be able to pick up the new process with no issues (though we will need Nickelodeon, apparently.). The 3 year old mainly watches YouTube Kids on a tablet already.

I'll need HBO, Showtime, any channel that airs Boston Area sports, UConn Football and Basketball, and a DVR-type service. The biggest thing I'll miss (if we go this route) is the voice remote. I'll also probably have to get my own Netflix account, as I will be taking my Comcast password away from my friend who traded me Netflix. I'll also need a good VPN.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom