Cord Cutters | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I love some of these comments. "I cut the cord xx months ago. Use Roku, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Playstation, Hulu, HD antenna and rabbit ears for $100 a month. Have Comcast internet for $80."

So you need 30 OTT providers and still haven't "cut the cord" because you need Comcast. Great success! You saved $120 a year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just cut the cord and couldn't be be happier. I was paying $190/month for DirecTV and I looked at both YouTube TV and DirecTV Now. I opted for the $65 package of DIRECTV Now so I could get the UConn games on CBSSN. I will switch to $55 package after the season. I'm saving about $130/month, which is great.

I also got rid of my home landline, which was costing me $60/month and ported my home number over to Google Voice, which is free. So now, I can get my home calls to my cell phone too, so that is another $60/month savings. That is almost $200/month savings combined for simply cutting the cord!

Finally, I negotiated a lower price and faster speed with Comcast / Xfinity and am saving another $25/month there too. I'm getting the Extreme 400 package and my total bill is $85/month for internet service. So I feel really good with all of the moves I just made to save some $'s.

But now my wife wants a new Washer and Dryer, so there goes my savings. :(

Just got back from buying new washer and dryer...there went all my savings for the next 18 months...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I love some of these comments. "I cut the cord xx months ago. Use Roku, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Playstation, Hulu. HD antenna and rabbit ears for $100 a month. Have Comcast internet for $80."

So you need 30 OTT providers and still haven't "cut the cord" because you need Comcast. Great success! You saved $120 a year.

Meh - people are already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime in addition to their cable subscription. The cable television service doesn't replace or replicate those two services.

Cable television portion of our cable/internet bill is $134.41, . I cannot call and reduce it because Cablevision has a complete and total monopoly on our area. Cost for the next year....$1,612.92.

So I cancelled it effective 2/1.

In its place, we're subscribed to YouTubeTV for $40 a month. (First month is free.) I also subscribed to Hulu for $12 a year. Cost for the next year....$452.

Savings - $1,160.92.

If you think you're not going to save money by changing your television service provider, you're bad at math.

Reaction Score
Meh - people are already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime in addition to their cable subscription. The cable television service doesn't replace or replicate those two services.

Cable television portion of our cable/internet bill is $134.41, . I cannot call and reduce it because Cablevision has a complete and total monopoly on our area. Cost for the next year....$1,612.92.

In its place, we're subscribed to YouTubeTV for $40 a month. (First month is free.) I also subscribed to Hulu for $12 a year. Cost for the next year....$452.

Savings - $1,160.92.

If you think you're not going to save money by changing your television service provider, you're bad at math.
The two products are not an apple to apple comparison.

Love when people say they don't have an option, but then list the options that they are moving to.

Also love when a post contains satire but you still respond like someone made fun of your ugly kid.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I love some of these comments. "I cut the cord xx months ago. Use Roku, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Playstation, Hulu. HD antenna and rabbit ears for $100 a month. Have Comcast internet for $80."

Right? Who could possibly want infinitely more content while paying less money.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The two products are not an apple to apple comparison.

Love when people say they don't have an option, but then list the options that they are moving to.

Also love when a post contains satire but you still respond like someone made fun of your ugly kid.

The two products are entirely apples to apples. One apple is just vastly more expensive.

Leave satire to people who are good at it.

Reaction Score
I got rid of cable, signed up for YouTube TV and am upset i didn't do it months ago. Haven't missed a UConn game yet and won't miss a Sox game either when the Spring comes around. Cloud-based DVR is great. Absolutely love it.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Figure it will be $150 + with box rental and taxes.
I couldn’t get Fios because their not in my area. I did find a good deal from Frontier for $97 per month . The Frontier package is service on two TVs , internet and phone. I sacrificed service on a third television , Alarm and monitoring and I’m saving about $225 per month. I’ll do alarm and monitoring with a small, separate company. Xfinity was charging me $350 per month for everything.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t get Fios because their not in my area. I did find a good deal from Frontier for $97 per month . The Frontier package is service on two TVs , internet and phone. I sacrificed service on a third television , Alarm and monitoring and I’m saving about $225 per month. I’ll do alarm and monitoring with a small, separate company. Xfinity was charging me $350 per month for everything.
I have X1 boxes on three TVs, 2 mini boxes and data (150mbps) for $180 a month. I am not in any sort of contract pricing either. You're getting taken to the cleaners.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I have X1 boxes on three TVs, 2 mini boxes and data (150mbps) for $180 a month. I am not in any sort of contract pricing either. You're getting taken to the cleaners.

Absolutely. I delegated the handling of the cable and alarm. It happens. Lesson learned. Lol

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Savings - $1,160.92.

Hulu for $12/year?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
More internet than cable, but ... I had Charter come to my house and install a new modem and router with higher speed internet. It's no faster. I called them three times, and was told by three separate customer service idiots that my WiFi will only be faster if the computer is directly wired to the router.

Seriously, they charge extra for this?

Reaction Score
More internet than cable, but ... I had Charter come to my house and install a new modem and router with higher speed internet. It's no faster. I called them three times, and was told by three separate customer service idiots that my WiFi will only be faster if the computer is directly wired to the router.

Wired connection is the most robust method of connectivity. Too many variables and interference possibilities with wireless. With this being said, I'm getting 175/13 with WiFi.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a d*ck, but what is the point of having a landline these days? Just generally have no clue why on earth someone would need it?

We have one. Have always had one. Will always have one. Everyone we know does too. When you have a family, it is helpful for there to be a household phone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Charter is a clown show.

Reaction Score

Savings - $1,160.92.

I don't have the patience to scroll through all this, but what are you doing and paying for internet. For us in central CT you are stuck with Comcast for fast internet and it is expensive as a stand alone (I tried the Frontier service and it did not cut it). What is the quick easy option for internet when you cut the cable cord?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Savings - $1,160.92.

It’s not that way everywhere. Here I have Comcast an Fios competing. And switching to Comcast was cheaper than cutting the cord for me. I ran the numbers. It included Netflix free for two years and Starz. 500mbs Internet, phone and the top tier cable package for $155 a month. Couldn’t get the same for less via cord cutting.

It’s all about competition in your market. Fortunately 5G is going to bring competition almost everywhere.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Infinitely more content? How about technical capabilities? I'll keep my X1, you keep your Firestick.

"Technical capabilities", lol.

We're still talking about watching TV here right?

It's pretty simple, I pay less and get more than you and many others. Not sure why people are so defensive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's pretty simple, I pay less and get more than you and many others. Not sure why people are so defensive.

x1 is expensive but it’s awesome. way better than any streaming service.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I think it's because the premise is not universal. I don't know what is so hard to understand but people don't seem to realize that this particular market is about as F*ed up as it gets. It's not regional, it's not state wide, it's town by town. I have Fios and Comcast and loads of options, which drives down prices. Believe me once Verizon runs fiber to your door, they want that investment back. My best friend in a different town in suburban Boston has just Charter, because Shrewsbury gave them a town wide monopoly. His options suck, and cord cutting is cheaper for him. It isn't for me, I get way more than I would if I cut the cord, for less money.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I dont care. More power to you.

But the point that gets lost, is yes, you pay less, but if you paid for all the services I have so we could compare apples to apples. you wouldnt pay less.

Im not saying its you specifically (im using your post as a jump off) but that is the always unspoken thing among cord cutters, that they fancy themselves as some kind of "I beat the system genius" for their willingness to save money using lesser products.

and thats fine. Every individual has different wants and needs when it comes to this stuff. But none of you are beating the system. You are settling for less as a compromise for saving some money. And there are millions of people this works for because they have narrow viewing needs tied to specific interests.

Anyone with half a brain who does an apple to apple across the board comparison knows you dont save money on this. And you know who knows that the most? The companies offering these services. Their price points are set exactly where they need to be to maximize enticement for subscriptions while getting every dime they can out of it. They know exactly what that threshold is.

All cord cutters are doing is choosing the a la carte option that many would like to (rightly) see cable companies offer.

That's it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Comcast set-top box for cord cutters may double as smart home hub

Fwiw, $120/year would allow wife and I to go out for Taco Tuesday or split a small pizza at our favorite take-out place once a month. That's better than not going out for Taco Tuesday.

If you find $120 lying on the sidewalk, do you pick it up or just walk past? If you pick it up, then it has value. So why stick your nose up at it? Alternatively, are you the kind who would take $10 out of your pocket every month and just throw it on the sidewalk as it's nothing to you?

Nice to be rich enough to not care about $10/month.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I dont care. More power to you.

But the point that gets lost, is yes, you pay less, but if you paid for all the services I have so we could compare apples to apples. you wouldnt pay less.

Im not saying its you specifically (im using your post as a jump off) but that is the always unspoken thing among cord cutters, that they fancy themselves as some kind of "I beat the system genius" for their willingness to save money using lesser products.

and thats fine. Every individual has different wants and needs when it comes to this stuff. But none of you are beating the system. You are settling for less as a compromise for saving some money. And there are millions of people this works for because they have narrow viewing needs tied to specific interests.

Anyone with half a brain who does an apple to apple across the board comparison knows you dont save money on this. And you know who knows that the most? The companies offering these services. Their price points are set exactly where they need to be to maximize enticement for subscriptions while getting every dime they can out of it. They know exactly what that threshold is.

All cord cutters are doing is choosing the a la carte option that many would like to see cable companies (rightly) offer.

That's it.

Exactly right. One of the things I noticed as I compared all the cable replacement plans, Hulu, YouTube, PlayStation etc. is that every single one of them was missing a channel or two that we watch. Whether a sports channel I wanted, HGTV, Discovery, the American History Channel my wife watches, they all picked off a pricey channel or two to drop.

And they certainly don't have the convenience my X1 remote provides of voice activated navigation across cable, on demand, Prime, Netflix, YouTube and ESPN3. Very clever of Comcast to turn their cable box into a streaming device, so that it provides all in one access. I say "UConn basketball" and whatever it is on, it comes up. That has value.

And yes @storrsroars $10 a month isn't meaningful to me in any way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom