Cord Cutters | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
Is this review accurate? It seems that cloud based should be accessible from anywhere. I work for a cloud company so this makes no sense to me.

There aren't many cons of YouTube TV. Another drawback of YouTube TV is that it does not offer the option of offline viewing. ... Even their DVR is cloud-based, so if you want to watch your shows while travelling or without using mobile data on the go, YouTube TV is not for you.

YouTube TV does offer offline viewing for recorded shows, but it is an extra 20 per month charge and it includes unlimited streams, 4k, and downloads. I don't subscribe to this add-on as I don't feel it's worth it.

Reaction Score
Hoping someone can give a quick rundown of best options for us: Been paying way too much for Xfinity for too long and now that we have diapers to pay for too, looking to cord cut to something much more reasonable and have a few Rokus for our non-main TVs now.

Live in Middletown, definitely need quality internet connection for working from home and mainly want to make sure we get channels UConn hoops games will be on this winter with whatever streaming service we choose.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hoping someone can give a quick rundown of best options for us: Been paying way too much for Xfinity for too long and now that we have diapers to pay for too, looking to cord cut to something much more reasonable and have a few Rokus for our non-main TVs now.

Live in Middletown, definitely need quality internet connection for working from home and mainly want to make sure we get channels UConn hoops games will be on this winter with whatever streaming service we choose.
Q & D from me is You Tube TV. It has both Fox channels and SNY for UConn. Downside: no NESN or YES. You will need an HD antenna for the non-network local channels but that's a small one-time charge. Roku piles a bunch of internet channels on to your antenna connection as well.

Reaction Score

Just to add my 2 cents to what @Waquoit has already mentioned, I agree with YouTube TV (currently $64.99+taxex $69.12). I live in North Haven, what I did when I cut Comcast cable portion, need the internet from them...and still have. Comcast Internet is fast, I pay around $95 for 250Mbps (Download) and 6Mbps (upload).

Although I have a LG Smart TV, I use the ROKU Ultra with HDMI connected to TV to view the YouTube TV. App can be found on ROKU if searching their Apps and install within ROKU.

Reaction Score
After 27 years of being forced to buy all in order to get some, NFL fans may be able to just buy some of the out-of-market games.

In an article by Daniel Kaplan of TheAthletic.com that focuses on the NFL’s supposed preference that Apple land the Sunday Ticket package, Kaplan reports that the new package could allow fans to buy just one team’s out of market games. Fans also could be permitted to buy stand-alone games.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
YouTube TV does offer offline viewing for recorded shows, but it is an extra 20 per month charge and it includes unlimited streams, 4k, and downloads. I don't subscribe to this add-on as I don't feel it's worth it.
I just signed up for the additional service today. FWIW - there is one month free right now, and only $9 per month for the first year after that month. Have been really unimpressed with the 4K lineup thus far. There were I believe two college football games in 4K today and nothing in 4K for the rest of the evening.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And I just dropped You Tube TV.

Just got sick of all the price increases and everything else. Wife recently signed up for the Hulu streaming and we'll probably do the Hulu Live in a few months.

Three or four years ago when I first switched from cable to streaming Hulu was first one. I dropped it because they didn't have local stations at the time and the streaming service would constantly pixilate and then drop off line. They now have the local channels. I'll do the 7 day free and if looks good I'll sign up for the Hulu Live service.

Reaction Score
Big shakeup coming with YouTubeTV! It looks like NBC and Google are playing hardball and YouTube is about to lose all of the NBC content! I don't watch NBC often, but it's certainly something we'd want as a family.

The letter from YouTube says that if they lose the content they will drop the monthly price from $64.99 to $54.99 and tells you that you can subscribe to Peacock at $4.99. I don't know if that gets you everything that you'd otherwise get from the NBC channels though.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Big shakeup coming with YouTubeTV! It looks like NBC and Google are playing hardball and YouTube is about to lose all of the NBC content! I don't watch NBC often, but it's certainly something we'd want as a family.

The letter from YouTube says that if they lose the content they will drop the monthly price from $64.99 to $54.99 and tells you that you can subscribe to Peacock at $4.99. I don't know if that gets you everything that you'd otherwise get from the NBC channels though.

It will get you most, but a good portion comes a day+ delayed.

Reaction Score

Here is hoping! I would love to say $10 per month. I have an antenna for NBC. Don't care about Golf, Bravo, USA, MSNBC, NBCSN is closing at the end of the year anyways.

Reaction Score
Also I found..

"NBCU is trying to force YouTube TV to bundle and pay for Peacock Premium as part of a new affiliation agreement for the NBCU channels," LightShed Partners wrote, pointing out that this is a strange demand.

Reaction Score
Yeah NBC is being petty here. Google probably would have been content with just renewing the existing deal. NBC tried forcing them to take peacock premium (which makes no sense), and now that Google refused that, NBC says they are willing to drop that demand if Google pays more for the normal bundle of channels. I will happily take the $10/month discount.

Reaction Score
Yeah NBC is being petty here. Google probably would have been content with just renewing the existing deal. NBC tried forcing them to take peacock premium (which makes no sense), and now that Google refused that, NBC says they are willing to drop that demand if Google pays more for the normal bundle of channels. I will happily take the $10/month discount.
I agree with
Agree.

This could be bad for NBC - I think a significant number of subscribers would rather have the $10.
I agree. The only show I watch on NBC is Sunday Night football. I can get that using my antennae although it doesn't always come in that well. I can live with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It will get you most, but a good portion comes a day+ delayed.
I thought that was only with the free version. I assumed if you actually pay for it it would show you content in real time.

Reaction Score
I agree with

I agree. The only show I watch on NBC is Sunday Night football. I can get that using my antennae although it doesn't always come in that well. I can live with that.

The only thing I watch on NBC is Notre Dame football. If anyone is a NHL, well NBC is done with the NHL. The new deal is with Disney and Turner Sports.

I could see how the Golf Channel would be a problem for some. Yet, Bravo, E, MSNBC, no thanks! Plus, if many care YTTV is telling people to sign up for Peacock.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It makes sense when you look at which company owns NBC Universal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get Peacock already for the Premiere League. Right now I think I want the $10. I get NBC great with the antenna, switching to over the air is a breeze. Just another app these days.

Reaction Score
It’s official. YouTube TV subscribers will continue to have access to NBC channels after a week long dispute, a short extension to make a deal, and confirmation that a deal was being finalized last night.

There will be no change to YouTube TV’s subscription cost and the deal will not include bundling Peacock Premium with the live TV streaming service.

Here is the statement sent to Cord Cutters News from an NBCUniversal spokesperson: “We are thrilled to have reached a deal with YouTube TV and can continue to offer our full network portfolio, without interruption. YouTube is a valued partner and we never want to involve our fans in a dispute, but we felt obligated to let them know what was at stake. We thank our viewers for their loyalty and promise to continue bringing them the networks and programs they love.”

YouTube also released a statement: “We’re thrilled to share that we’ve reached a deal to continue carrying the full NBCUniversal portfolio of channels. That means you won’t lose access to any of their channels, and YouTube TV will continue to offer 85+ networks for $64.99. We appreciate NBCUniversal’s willingness to work toward an agreement, and we also appreciate your patience as we negotiated with them on your behalf.”

Reaction Score
Just went on a fact finding mission about DirecTV vs. DirecTV Stream....

Had a great call with them, so here are a few tidbits of info for those who are in the same boat as me. I pay $150 a month for Choice Extra+, 3 receivers, and HBO... Switching to DTV Stream my cost would essentially be cut in half. NO HARDWARE necessary as long as you have smart TVs, there is an app on Roku - the only catch is that you can only have 3 concurrent uses of the account at once. Only time this would be an issue for us is during March Madness when all 4 basement TVs are going.

It was actually odd that he was trying to keep me as a satellite customer vs. going to streaming, he actually gave me NFL Sunday Ticket Max for free for the rest of the conversation just for being a loyal customer.

Sheesh, it was a only a fact finding mission - I'll take it!

Reaction Score
What are folks who have cord cut here doing for internet? Xfinity told us it would be $100 a month for just Internet if we drop our cable package. That plus YouTube TV or Hulu Live doesn’t seem that much savings from having TV/Cable through Xfinity now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What are folks who have cord cut here doing for internet? Xfinity told us it would be $100 a month for just Internet if we drop our cable package. That plus YouTube TV or Hulu Live doesn’t seem that much savings from having TV/Cable through Xfinity now.
That probably includes renting a router. You'll save if you buy your own. I think it took 5 months to get paid back. I saved $150 going from the Cox bundle to just their internet and YTTV.

Reaction Score
Cancel and have someone else in your family sign up so you get the new customer pricing....much cheaper...at least in my hood

Reaction Score
That probably includes renting a router. You'll save if you buy your own. I think it took 5 months to get paid back. I saved $150 going from the Cox bundle to just their internet and YTTV.
I also had Comcast few years back, but during that time I bought my own Modem/Router. As @Waquoit also suggested, if you're currently paying for the Comcast Router/Modem go to BestBuy or online and find a replacement. I vowed to not give Comcast any more money than I had to. :rolleyes:

At the time I bought an exact replacement Comcast was using for cable/internet (Arris Surfboard SBG7580-AC) and still using currently. I still have Comcast Internet and paying $95.95/month with download 250Mbps. I believe I can save an additional $10/month if I choose to downgrade to a slightly lower download speed (forget what that speed would be at this time). I also currently have YouTube TV at $64.99+tax, yes I'm still paying a little over $160/month but I was paying close to $200/month with Comcast...frankly I would do the same today even if I was saving $5-$10/month from what Comcast was charging me at time. I'm waiting for the next Internet service that can bring me Internet access and then I'll drop Comcast all together.

Side note, I do have Frontier available in my area but at the basic internet speed of 25Mbps. That's not going to do it for me. Recently I found one can get home internet service from T-Mobile as a standalone setup but have to do more research on it. (see link below)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom