Coppin State Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Coppin State Game Thread

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sorry UCONN that body language was very apparent at the end of the game when UCONN was trying to hold on. The camera kept on showing KO with his head down between his legs knowing that this is beyond depressing and he is going to be held accountable for this at season's end. JC would never being doing that even if he was down 12 with 10 seconds left. He would be shouting until the end.

The guy showed more hustle on the sidelines than some of our players did on the court. I can absolutely see why he's frustrated. I think everyone needs the 12 day break coming up, including the fan base...

Reaction Score
The guy showed more hustle on the sidelines than some of our players did on the court. I can absolutely see why he's frustrated. I think everyone needs the 12 day break coming up, including the fan base...
He is more than frustrated. He is realizing this job of building a program is over his head. He will be gone at the end of the season. I was willing to give KO a little more before I gave up. I have give up on KO as a coach but not UCONN as a program. I wanted him gone last year but this year he will be gone if he only wins 6-7 more games and not make the tourney for sure. DB will not deal with a guy more concerned with clubbing than coaching.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He is more than frustrated. He is realizing this job of building a program is over his head. He will be gone at the end of the season. I was willing to give KO a little more before I gave up. I have give up on KO as a coach but not UCONN as a program. I wanted him gone last year but this year he will be gone if he only wins 6-7 more games and not make the tourney for sure. DB will not deal with a guy more concerned with clubbing than coaching.

That's a ridiculous statement. He's won a national championship here, but now he realizes this job is over his head??

This place definitely needs the 12 days of rest...

Reaction Score
That's a ridiculous statement. He's won a national championship here, but now he realizes this job is over his head??

He won it with KO players. What has he done with his own players? Next to nothing. Why are some fans have a hard on with KO. He has enough of track record on building a program to realize he isn't the right guy for the job. Can you UCONN get someone better? We can at least get a coach who knows a lick about teaching offense. His iso sets have become dreadful as teams are realizing that if they stop Jalen than the rest of the team sucks.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He won it with KO players. What has he done with his own players? Next to nothing. Why are some fans have a hard on with KO. He has enough of track record on building a program to realize he isn't the right guy for the job. Can you UCONN get someone better? We can at least get a coach who knows a lick about teaching offense. His iso sets have become dreadful as teams are realizing that if they stop Jalen than the rest of the team sucks.

He won it with players he developed. There is no arguing otherwise. He developed them.

I'm sorry, but your post gets the gas face...

Reaction Score
He won it with players he developed. There is no arguing otherwise. He developed them.

Calhoun started the development of those players. Napier and Giffey were key players in 2011. He has shown in the last 4 years since that he can't find these players for his own program. If he ends the year with a losing record he will be gone. If he doesn't get on the tourney than he will probably be gone too. I don't think the administration is going to stand for missing the tourney 3 out of the last 4 years and only finishing in the top 5 of this conference once in 5 years. That is embarrasing.

Reaction Score
Calhoun started the development of those players. Napier and Giffey were key players in 2011. He has shown in the last 4 years since that he can't find these players for his own program. If he ends the year with a losing record he will be gone. If he doesn't get on the tourney than he will probably be gone too. I don't think the administration is going to stand for missing the tourney 3 out of the last 4 years and only finishing in the top 5 of this conference once in 5 years. That is embarrasing.

As you said, these players were recruited by JC as well as developed by JC and his staff. Let's not forget that JC had Blaney, Hobbs, Howie, Moore, etc on his staff. All experienced coaches who recruit and develop talent. As many of you here have pointed out, one of our problems is that we have not landed tough, talented, team orientated, motivated high IQ players recently. JC and his staff identified, recruited and landed these types of players. It's tough to coach up and develop players who don't fit this profile. This starts with recruiting and if you miss out there, then good luck trying to win at the level UConn has achieved in the past and if you miss out for a couple of years running, you are in deep trouble and there's no easy road to fix it.

Reaction Score
Why did Daniels, Napier, and Giffey perform nowhere near their peaks during the 2010-12 seasons when Calhoun was overseeing their training and development?

Don't give me some "Calhoun hung around at the practices during Ollie's first couple of years" BS either.

Because they were freshmen and sophomores? And Napier played a major role on a championship team under Calhoun, and Giffey contributed to that team as well.

Ollie did an amazing job his first 2 years. While saying "with Calhoun's players" is a bit of a knock, to me it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a ton of credit for what they accomplished. I think its a small number of coaches who deliver us the 2014 championship.

Fact remains though that as great of a job he did those first 2 years when we were still in transition from the Calhoun era, its been a disaster once the program became completely his. Whether hes gone after the wrong players, surrounded himself with the wrong coaches, not developed guys early in their career the way Calhoun did, changed himself, or some combination of those things, I don't know. But its just reality that coaching players recruited and somewhat developed by Calhoun with a lot of Calhoun's coaching staff providing support, versus doing all the recruting, developing, and picking the coaching staff are 2 different things.

Reaction Score
Sorry UCONN that body language was very apparent at the end of the game when UCONN was trying to hold on. The camera kept on showing KO with his head down between his legs knowing that this is beyond depressing and he is going to be held accountable for this at season's end. JC would never being doing that even if he was down 12 with 10 seconds left. He would be shouting until the end.

Just seeing what you want to see. His body language is fine and not the problem.

Reaction Score
3E8941AE-DC1C-4511-B1A5-51AB159962DD.gif

I like 3rd bass but his clubbing comment gets the gas face

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Because they were freshmen and sophomores? And Napier played a major role on a championship team under Calhoun, and Giffey contributed to that team as well.

Ollie did an amazing job his first 2 years. While saying "with Calhoun's players" is a bit of a knock, to me it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a ton of credit for what they accomplished. I think its a small number of coaches who deliver us the 2014 championship.

Fact remains though that as great of a job he did those first 2 years when we were still in transition from the Calhoun era, its been a disaster once the program became completely his. Whether hes gone after the wrong players, surrounded himself with the wrong coaches, not developed guys early in their career the way Calhoun did, changed himself, or some combination of those things, I don't know. But its just reality that coaching players recruited and somewhat developed by Calhoun with a lot of Calhoun's coaching staff providing support, versus doing all the recruting, developing, and picking the coaching staff are 2 different things.

Normally players' development is concurrent with the kind of training and coaching they're getting at the time results are showing, not 1-3 years prior.

Reaction Score
This is a known fact so what is the issue with this. He is over 40 and has no business hanging out in the clubs with people half his age.
Why is that? It's still a free country as of today, tomorrow could be different.

Reaction Score

You are absolutely delusional. The last three plus seasons with his own guys have been mediocre at best. Remember back in 2012-2014, he had Calhoun, Blaney and Miller to help him. How you can watch the same poor performance year after year and think we have the right head coach is mind boggling.

Reaction Score

Your statement is ludicrous, of course, and I say that as someone who gives KO the major credit for the 2014 NC. KO did not develop that team, but he was the perfect coach to exploit its abilities once they had been through the JC honing mill. I don't think JC himself would have pulled it off. The team no longer needed the tight rein that was JC's trademark. Shabazz and Boat were free spirits of unique talent who needed space to flourish, Giffey was as self-disciplined a player as we've ever had -- and came back for his senior year a self-taught marksman. Daniels had been a frightened deer under JC and was nothing less than "liberated" under KO. It was a serendipitous coming together of an enabling coaching style and a set of players primed and ready to be enabled.

To use a horse racing analogy, JC was the trainer of that team, KO was the jockey. The team wasn't quite Secretariat, more, perhaps, like Seattle Slew. an overlooked yearling of unheralded bloodlines who, once schooled and pointed to the finish, needed only to be let run.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are absolutely delusional. The last three plus seasons with his own guys have been mediocre at best. Remember back in 2012-2014, he had Calhoun, Blaney and Miller to help him. How you can watch the same poor performance year after year and think we have the right head coach is mind boggling.

I'm delusional??

Are you trying to tell me that the 2012 version of Daniels was the same as 2014? Or the 2012 version of Giffey? Or Shabazz? Or Boatright?

Don't answer that. There's too much insanity on the Boneyard. Folks want to further their agenda of firing Ollie by saying he's done absolutely nothing and selectively remembering events of the past.

Complain all you want about his choice of starting lineup, his use of timeouts, his style of offense or defense. But don't sit there with a straight face and tell me he didn't develop players over a 2 year period that went on to win a national championship, as if he just sat on the bench watching, because that makes you a lunatic...

Reaction Score
I'm delusional??

Are you trying to tell me that the 2012 version of Daniels was the same as 2014? Or the 2012 version of Giffey? Or Shabazz? Or Boatright?

Don't answer that. There's too much insanity on the Boneyard. Folks want to further their agenda of firing Ollie by saying he's done absolutely nothing and selectively remembering events of the past.

Complain all you want about his choice of starting lineup, his use of timeouts, his style of offense or defense. But don't sit there with a straight face and tell me he didn't develop players over a 2 year period that went on to win a national championship, as if he just sat on the bench watching, because that makes you a lunatic...

Only the densest of the dense still refuse to see what is right in front of them. If you knew half of what has happened behind the scenes you would see things more clearly. The program is toxic and thats not going to change until the source is removed.

UConn fell behind 8-0 to an 0-10 Coppin State team yesterday after having to go to overtime against Columbia and Monmouth, both of which have losing records.

UConn's success in 2014 was based mostly on having a rotation loaded with upperclassmen like Daniels, Giffey, Boatright and most importantly Shabazz. Shabazz simply refused to lose. That was a far bigger factor than any coaching by Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Normally players' development is concurrent with the kind of training and coaching they're getting at the time results are showing, not 1-3 years prior.

Development takes time. Acting like Shabazz being a better player as a senior than as a sophomore is due to the coaching he received a junior and senior is silly. Kemba was inconsistent as a sophomore and at times downright bad. Junior year he was the best player in the country. It wasn't that they coached him differently between his 2nd and 3rd year, it was the result of 3 years of hard work and experience finally paying off.

Reaction Score
Looking at the box score now. Jalen Adams with 8 assists is nice to see but I am blown away that he only had 1 turnover. I felt like he lost the ball at least 4 or 5 times! Good for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom