Coppin State Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Coppin State Game Thread

Reaction Score
Ollie proved that he can get it done with good players. We just don't have any right now.

I used to optimistically think this way, but no longer. I’m now
with the school of thought that he was able to win with Calhoun players. Guys that had been trained, developed and conditioned in large part by Calhoun. Since he has had his own guys he’s done nothing.

I’m also going to disagree that there is no talent here with which to work. It’s not the best we’ve had but it’s good
enough to be performing better than we are by a long shot. I worry that it is becoming a hallmark of Ollie’s teams that the total is less than the sum of parts.

I’m eternally hopeful that something clicks but I
cant pretend that I’m optimistic at this point.

Reaction Score
I applaud all of those who continue the game thread to the bitter end. K.O.'s Huskies are unwatchable, especially in the last 5 minutes. Those of you who continue reporting deserve medals of merit. Just one question - how do you avoid throwing up on your keyboards? (Attention, Dave Benedict - start looking now - this program is in extremis...)

Reaction Score
After seeing what we all saw today there’s going to a lot more of us agreeing with above. Just watching teams ranked or not this year I can’t help thinking how they would take us apart. These are not good thoughts.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Guys that had been trained, developed and conditioned in large part by Calhoun.

Why did Daniels, Napier, and Giffey perform nowhere near their peaks during the 2010-12 seasons when Calhoun was overseeing their training and development?

Don't give me some "Calhoun hung around at the practices during Ollie's first couple of years" BS either.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
After seeing what we all saw today there’s going to a lot more of us agreeing with above. Just watching teams ranked or not this year I can’t help thinking how they would take us apart. These are not good thoughts.
No they're not good thoughts. I also don't like that we're now perceived by Syracuse fans on their fan forum as now a "mid-major" or a major school with mid-major talent or has-beens, etc. BUT we shouldn't give up on this season and certainly not on the program. The fact is this team, whatever the potential may be, has not yet played to the best of its ability. They are still figuring things out, seeing which pieces work best together and allowing players to grow into their roles. BTW, I am using the Syracuse fans looking down at us as motivation to want to see us get back to the level we once were.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Students chanting 0-9. Mocking them or us?

The students were getting into it with one of the guys in their bench. It was kind of hilarious, but I started to feel bad for the Coppin State bench after a while. I wish I saw what started it...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Body languages of coaches is horrible. Ollie with his head down and shaking his head. Not a good look. Taking his tie and jacket off didn’t shake up the troops as intended.

That's a very inaccurate post, or at least a poor take on reading the body language. I watched him much of the game, and he was trying to will the team to a win. Yes, the jacket came off at times. All that clapping that people seem to be complaining about was actually his attempt to get us to cover the only friggin player they had tonight.

If you were at the game, we must have had a different vantage point. If you weren't, like others complaining about his body language, please stop posting things that just aren't true. There are plenty of other things to criticize...

Reaction Score
That's a very inaccurate post, or at least a poor take on reading the body language. I watched him much of the game, and he was trying to will the team to a win. Yes, the jacket came off at times. All that clapping that people seem to be complaining about was actually his attempt to get us to cover the only friggin player they had tonight.

If you were at the game, we must have had a different vantage point. If you weren't, like others complaining about his body language, please stop posting things that just aren't true. There are plenty of other things to criticize...
The post is not inaccurate in the slightest. Not saying he did it the whole game but at the point I wrote it, his behavior was unmistakable. Watch the tape and tell me you don’t see it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The post is not inaccurate in the slightest. Not saying he did it the whole game but at the point I wrote it, his behavior was unmistakable. Watch the tape and tell me you don’t see it.

His behavior was trying to get the players to show more energy and to cover open men. If you think that's a bad look, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm finding it hilarious that Ollie gets criticized on the board for showing no energy, and now, for apparently showing too much...

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Hey stairmaster when are you posting about how Coppin State might be a tournament team so this was a great win? Or is that willie’s schtick?

That's a fabrication your lying keister made up.

Reaction Score
Why did Daniels, Napier, and Giffey perform nowhere near their peaks during the 2010-12 seasons when Calhoun was overseeing their training and development?

Don't give me some "Calhoun hung around at the practices during Ollie's first couple of years" BS either.

Maybe they all developed over those 3 or so years and actually understood the concept of teamwork, unselfish play and their role on the team.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Maybe they all developed over those 3 or so years and actually understood the concept of teamwork, unselfish play and their role on the team.

It sure didn't show on the court until after Calhoun left.

Reaction Score

Maybe because we had Jeremy Lamb, Kemba Walker and Roscoe Smith ahead of them in the pecking order. Giffey and Napier were quite effective in our 2011 Championship when Calhoun won it.

KO is just a worthless, wanna be player coach who doesn't have an idea of what do with the substitutions patterns and control the team. Did you see how he had his head down in-between his knees for the ending? Do you think Jim Calhoun would ever do that? This will be KO's last season as we will be lucky to win 6-7 more games this year with the talent on this team. It is basically the same team as last year with a worst front court than last year. I was never a big Brimah fan but I wish he was there to swat some of these shots back and have facey score at least a few baskets inside. The inside talent on this team is border Patriot league.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Do you think Jim Calhoun would ever do that?

BS, stop comparing whoever is the coach of this team to the G.O.A.T. We are never getting a Calhoun-level coach again. No basketball program in the country will.

The inside talent on this team is border Patriot league.

BS. Players with P5/Big East offers like all of the frontcourt players who saw the court today don't end up in the Patriot League.

Reaction Score
BS, stop comparing whoever is the coach of this team to the G.O.A.T. We are never getting a Calhoun-level coach again. No basketball program in the country will.

BS. Players with P5/Big East offers like all of the frontcourt players who saw the court today don't end up in the Patriot League.
I would prefer Brimah and Facey or ofcourse Shonn Miller. I even miss Durham, Enoch and Vance Jackson compared to this talent up front. None of these guys were great talent but they make the present stuff look like Patriot League.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I would prefer Brimah and Facey or ofcourse Shonn Miller. I even miss Durham, Enoch and Vance Jackson compared to this talent up front.

That doesn't change how objectively and embarrassingly wrong you where when you called it "Patriot League"-level.

The past few years, I heard plenty of yahoos suggesting Facey/Nolan should be in Division II instead. This is just another continuation of that.

Reaction Score
That doesn't change how objectively and embarrassingly wrong you where when you called it "Patriot League"-level.

The past few years, I heard plenty of yahoos suggesting Facey/Nolan should be in Division II instead. This is just another continuation of that.
Well I prefer Nolan over this talent. At least he could rebound and position defend. These front court players barely do anything and is why we normally play small. Though today KO was confused and thought we were playing a huge team and went with 2 bigs up front for a lot of the game. Weird lineups to play 3 guards who can't shoot outside against Syracuse and then come back and play a big lineup against a small team. That's KO for you. A total head case. His display on the bench was an embarrassment to coaching to have his head between his legs. He knows his days are coming to end.

Reaction Score
His behavior was trying to get the players to show more energy and to cover open men. If you think that's a bad look, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm finding it hilarious that Ollie gets criticized on the board for showing no energy, and now, for apparently showing too much...

We walked the dog at halftime Dan and got back with about 8 to go and we were up 61 to 52. At the end KO was defeated with his head down on the TV feed. He knows this was not a good performance. He needs to be coaching hard during the game but he should not have to game in and game out bring the energy for these players or play defense for them. Best case scenario he resigns at the end of the year and moves on. There is a malaise setting in that needs a total reboot.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We walked the dog at halftime Dan and got back with about 8 to go and we were up 61 to 52. At the end KO was defeated with his head down on the TV feed. He knows this was not a good performance. He needs to be coaching hard during the game but he should not have to game in and game out bring the energy for these players or play defense for them. Best case scenario he resigns at the end of the year and moves on. There is a malaise setting in that needs a total reboot.

Let me say this; does his need to implore the kids to work hard show a bad look for him? Or for the players?

When you see what he's yelling at, you immediately get it. You see what he means when a guard forgets about the man in the corner who eventually hits a three on the ball rotation. You see what he means when our guard goes under the screen instead of on top of it, and the dude drops another three on us. Or when the big forgets to box out, allowing for an easy layup.

At this point, I honestly feel bad for the guy. The freshman are freshman, but the other more experienced players doing these things is enough to drive you nuts...

Reaction Score
I feel bad for him as well as this is embarrassing. I think he needs to pull guys out of the game that screw up and let them know why on the sideline. In some ways there is no accountability. We could say he does not have good options to replace players with but some of our players have real bad habits and they are not getting better. Whaley left his man on D a few times making someone else look bad when they tried to cover for him and their guy hit a 3. The guard going under the screen is lack of effort and has become a UCONN trademark.

Reaction Score

Sorry UCONN that body language was very apparent at the end of the game when UCONN was trying to hold on. The camera kept on showing KO with his head down between his legs knowing that this is beyond depressing and he is going to be held accountable for this at season's end. JC would never being doing that even if he was down 12 with 10 seconds left. He would be shouting until the end.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I feel bad for him as well as this is embarrassing. I think he needs to pull guys out of the game that screw up and let them know why on the sideline. In some ways there is no accountability. We could say he does not have good options to replace players with but some of our players have real bad habits and they are not getting better. Whaley left his man on D a few times making someone else look bad when they tried to cover for him and their guy hit a 3. The guard going under the screen is lack of effort and has become a UCONN trademark.

Plenty of guys got the hook today and he chatted with them. At some point, you run out of players to hook. At some point, you make the calculation that we can't afford to drop a game against a mid major and you can't hook certain players on this squad (i.e., Adams).

I don't typically feel bad for millionaires, but he's certainly one I feel bad for. There's no doubt many of these players will be better in the future. There's also no doubt that if that future is prolonged, the mob will pitchfork his culo out of here...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom