Copa América | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Copa América

Reaction Score
starsandstripesfc.com.

Questioning why GGG wouldn't put Musah in to be a beast and to carry the ball/get fouled. And Aaronson could have been a ball hawking pest up top to disrupt Panama's ball movement.

I don't think Ream liked the bunker strategy after going down to 10 men: "Obviously we would've loved to keep the ball a bit more, but with the man down and not really in control, it's hard to then wrestle that back...So yeah, it would've been great, but we knew our transition and our counterattacks were going to be the key from that point forward, and that's kind of what we tried to focus on."
That's actually the first site I found with google. I could see having to bunker down if playing a superior team. But yeah, against Panama, focus on offense and try to win outright.

Reaction Score
100% Berhalter Incompetence

Musah should have been on for Adams if you sub Adams out.

Taking Reyna out?

We needed some dynamic players in the middle to hold the ball when we had it.

Also, abiding by the Adams minutes restriction in this situation is absolutely crazy. That’s like a decision a first time manager or a 2nd Lieutenant would make. Berhalter lost sight of the bigger picture.

He coached like we were a man down against France or Brazil.

Hopefully Uruguay will hammer them and we snuff out Berhalter’s USMNT career once and for all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The scenarios are not in our favor. Even if we were to win (possible if Uruguay rotate a little?). Panama could still beat Bolivia by a larger margin and make up the goal differential.

We could draw and make it (Panama/Bolivia draw, or Bolivia win) or not.

However, we could even lose, and still get through. If Bolivia beats Panama, but doesn't make up the goal differential.

So basically, it's completely out of our control. (In this group, that in itself should be enough to get GGG fired.)

Who's to blame for last night? Weah, CCV, Horvath, ref, GGG, plenty of blame to go around.

Reaction Score
The scenarios are not in our favor. Even if we were to win (possible if Uruguay rotate a little?). Panama could still beat Bolivia by a larger margin and make up the goal differential.

We could draw and make it (Panama/Bolivia draw, or Bolivia win) or not.

However, we could even lose, and still get through. If Bolivia beats Panama, but doesn't make up the goal differential.

So basically, it's completely out of our control. (In this group, that in itself should be enough to get GGG fired.)

Who's to blame for last night? Weah, CCV, Horvath, ref, GGG, plenty of blame to go around.

It’s basically win againts Uruguay or blow it all up.

Reaction Score
Weah
Then ggg for bunkering and putting Johnny in over Musah who's an absolute ball carrying bull

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, yes, which is an awful position to be in. The US Men's soccer team never make it easy on themselves. Getting out of this group should have been relatively easy. Even in the 2022 World Cup group stage they were unimpressive. After getting the 1-0 lead versus Iran, a game they had to win (not lose or tie) to advance into the knockout rounds, USA was clinging onto dear life to hold that 1-0 lead and they barely did so.

Having Panama and Bolivia in the group is like giving a 3rd grader a test on simple math not involving Algebra, Calculus, or Geometry (i.e. Germany, Argentina, France, Uruguay yikes). That test (Bolivia and Panama) might pose a challenge here or there, but it is certainly within the skillset of a 3rd grader (in this example, USA team).

Reaction Score
Weah
Then ggg for bunkering and putting Johnny in over Musah who's an absolute ball carrying bull

Weah needs to prove why he deserves to wear the shirt.

And I don’t care what the Panamanian said or did to him.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, yes, which is an awful position to be in. The US Men's soccer team never make it easy on themselves. Getting out of this group should have been relatively easy. Even in the 2022 World Cup group stage they were unimpressive. After getting the 1-0 lead versus Iran, a game they had to win (not lose or tie) to advance into the knockout rounds, USA was clinging onto dear life to hold that 1-0 lead and they barely did so.

Having Panama and Bolivia in the group is like giving a 3rd grader a test on simple math not involving Algebra, Calculus, or Geometry (i.e. Germany, Argentina, France, Uruguay yikes). That test (Bolivia and Panama) might pose a challenge here or there, but it is certainly within the skillset of a 3rd grader (in this example, USA team).

This team has always played like they were being coached by their buddy; not like a guy who was an actual manager.

And when he tried to be a hardass with Reyna he handled it so poorly that it touched off a firestorm.

Reaction Score
Weah looks good in the uniform, is fast, has some fancy footwork and has scored some big goals but I never feel comfortable with him carrying the ball down the wing. Rarely does it result in a dangerous or even good ball across the middle. I don't see him as a big loss for Monday.

Dest has the best service on the team followed by Jedi IMO.

Talent-wise, sure we have guys at major clubs with really only Pulisic putting up real offensive stats last season. We still don't have 'the guy' at a club, Europe or MLS. That's a problem.

We don't have a true dog like a Jay Demerit, Jermaine Jones, Geoff Cameron, Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride that would have helped immensely in yesterday's & CONCACAF scraps. If you haven't watched Uruguay, wait til you see Araujo, Giminez & Nunez. All dog all stars

And Gregg, it's beyond time.

Reaction Score
Weah looks good in the uniform, is fast, has some fancy footwork and has scored some big goals but I never feel comfortable with him carrying the ball down the wing. Rarely does it result in a dangerous or even good ball across the middle. I don't see him as a big loss for Monday.

Dest has the best service on the team followed by Jedi IMO.

Talent-wise, sure we have guys at major clubs with really only Pulisic putting up real offensive stats last season. We still don't have 'the guy' at a club, Europe or MLS. That's a problem.

We don't have a true dog like a Jay Demerit, Jermaine Jones, Geoff Cameron, Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride that would have helped immensely in yesterday's & CONCACAF scraps. If you haven't watched Uruguay, wait til you see Araujo, Giminez & Nunez. All dog all stars

And Gregg, it's beyond time.

Love Uruguay’s style. They get forward, someone described them as “swashbuckling”. Perfect.

Reaction Score
In a must win game coke can't keep their head on straight. Wtf is up with that play
Go marsch, getting out of the group makes up for the oilers g7 loss

Reaction Score

Ignore the comment about the team being “special”.

He’s got a point, other than Pulisic, Adams and Ream who do we have that is a leader?

Weah is undisciplined. McKennie does whatever he pleases. He was sighted in a Hookah Bar in Atlanta after losing to Panama… Reyna… good grief.

This is why the manager has to step and make sure there is accountability. Gregg is their buddy. That just doesn’t happen to the right degree.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And even then, we still might not make it through.

Which would probably be the worst scenario. We beat Uruguay, so GGG gets a reprieve, but we still don't make it out of the group.

This is kind of a win-win scenario. If we win and advance, then cool, we bet Uruguay and get out of the group and get another big game (Brazil/Colombia). If we lose and don't get out of the group, hopefully we get rid of GGG. So a win either way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tonight is an absolute win and hope situation. I feel like the players have enough pride to make this a good fight but you still have the potential of a blowout on the other side and Panama making up the goal differential. Either way this Coach has had 5+ years to show us what he has and the trajectory is sideways. He's hit a hard ceiling with his philosophy but seems insulated and given a free pass to the WC to squander the current batch of talent. And there's no reason to think the decision makers would make a better selection next time around. They seem unaccountable except to some deep pockets in the MLS universe.

I love hope but hope is not a plan.

Reaction Score
Tonight is an absolute win and hope situation. I feel like the players have enough pride to make this a good fight but you still have the potential of a blowout on the other side and Panama making up the goal differential. Either way this Coach has had 5+ years to show us what he has and the trajectory is sideways. He's hit a hard ceiling with his philosophy but seems insulated and given a free pass to the WC to squander the current batch of talent. And there's no reason to think the decision makers would make a better selection next time around. They seem unaccountable except to some deep pockets in the MLS universe.

I love hope but hope is not a plan.

I hope Uruguay scores 6 goals.

I hope it’s ugly as hell. Leave no doubt.

We need Jesse Marsch or even BJ.

A fluke win would be a catastrophe for the USMNT.

Reaction Score
Zoo nailed it. This team is experienced and they talk about Ggg's camps like it's the Four Seasons at Wailea.
Concacaf/Conmebol style is vastly different than Europe. Pulisic usually looks like the best player on the field, and aside from Jedi, do we have anyone you wouldn't want to fight? Coaching malpractice. Remember, he's never won a trophy and some podunk Swedish club fired him due to lack of offense/imagination.

Reaction Score
The rot runs deep.
No pro-rel. Open Cup debacle. MLS/SUM. MLS/SUM/USSF. Media propaganda. Blatant nepotism.
We're told advancing from the group is success. Aside from Colombia, Arg, Brazil all these teams in Copa suck.
The funny thing is the above can apply to the Mexican fed as much as ours.
The wool is slowly being removed

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Can someone meone who followed things closer than I do refresh my memory on what was wrong with Klinsman.

All I seem to remember was a lot of criticism in the press, but outside of when he was here he was pretty well respected.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can someone meone who followed things closer than I do refresh my memory on what was wrong with Klinsman.
The main reason he was fired was because he pushed back againzt the assertion that a major role of the USMNT is to support the MLS.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom