Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit! | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nah, but development, exposure, those are a wash at best. Chance to win? Wash. I do think he will focus on the guys he’d be on the floor with. Also, where the coach needs him to play. It’s not clear which school best fits. That is most likely the deciding factor. Can he coexist with Power at Duke?

Does the football game matter? Unlikely. But it certainly doesn’t help any. Kansas won at home against BYU in front of a good crowd yesterday. Duke is solid. If that culture matters at all, it hurts us.
Yeah it seems like Duke is going to have a very weird roster makeup for him if he does decide to go there. Like the year they had RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Zion Williamson.

I feel like we have that going for us. No idea on Kansas roster.

Reaction Score
The football game experience and other activities on visits probably do matter to most recruits in some way. They want to see wild fans, pretty girls, a packed stadium etc.

cooper Flagg is already at a level that surpasses all of that and likely has completely different considerations.
Why is everyone on this board acting like this doesn’t happen at the basketball games too

Also, college athletes, especially stars, want to be left tf alone at games and just wanna chill with their friends/teammates.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley has shown he knows a thing or two about recruiting top talent. I’m sure if he felt a potential blowout was looming and it might sway the recruit, he sure wouldn’t be bringing him to the game! That said, as was mentioned earlier, the chance to connect with all the “right” people at an event like this is the goal, not the game itself, the score or the weather!

Orc

Reaction Score
The football game experience and other activities on visits probably do matter to most recruits in some way. They want to see wild fans, pretty girls, a packed stadium etc.

cooper Flagg is already at a level that surpasses all of that and likely has completely different considerations.
Embarassing for Uconn . Bring him to an empty stadium on rainy cold day to watch the junior varsity home team get destroyed by his dream school. Lol.

Reaction Score
The football game matters in a way of trying to give him the best possible experience while on campus for a visit.

Watching a team get their butts kicked in an empty stadium does not help have the best visit experience possible. Especially when the team that did the butt kicking is the favorites.

Weird time to visit and I hope we get him back during hoop season.
Maybe he's at the Field Hockey game today and that'll sway him to choose UConn..

Reaction Score
Some people are never quite so happy as when they are miserable. It's best just to ignore them.

I guess. Everyone else in college basketball- UConn is back! Defending national champs, top 10 ranking even with turnover, let’s go!

Seven or so people here- everything is terrible, and I refuse to see it any other way, despite being wrong previously.

Practice starts this week. They are really happy with their roster. Same “concerns” as last preseason- great talent, how is the leadership and role assignment going to develop. I say “concerns” because coaching staffs live for this stuff. Give them talent, let them cook and figure out the rest. I have a local recruit to follow all winter. Things are good!

Reaction Score
Nah, but development, exposure, those are a wash at best. Chance to win? Wash. I do think he will focus on the guys he’d be on the floor with. Also, where the coach needs him to play. It’s not clear which school best fits. That is most likely the deciding factor. Can he coexist with Power at Duke?

Does the football game matter? Unlikely. But it certainly doesn’t help any. Kansas won at home against BYU in front of a good crowd yesterday. Duke is solid. If that culture matters at all, it hurts us.
I don’t think I want to reply to much else on this thread, but one indication that football culture doesn’t matter much to Cooper Flagg is that his three visits are to UConn, Kansas, and Duke.

Anyhow, we just won our fifth title and the best college basketball recruit in years decided we were one of the three schools he wanted to visit, so I’m pretty happy with everything about our program right now.

Reaction Score

Why do I think that if the football team won, the same posters would say it played no role at all?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's all comes down to Hurley's plan for the young man. Is it what Team Flagg is looking for? And do they have faith in Hurley to execute the plan? Recent history shows Hurley can create and execute.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why this keeps being said when that’s not what anyone is saying.
It’s as equally relevant and ridiculous as what you’re saying.

Also, college athletes, especially stars, want to be left tf alone at games and just wanna chill with their friends/teammates.

This just isn’t always the case. Some stars enjoy the spotlight. Magic Johnson is the easiest example of a college athlete who embraced the spotlight and fed off it.

Reaction Score
I never post, but this is truly riduculous. If CF cared about football, he wouldn’t be looking any of his top 3. He knew our football team sucked before the visit, and he knows now. Nothing changed. There is a good chance a kid from Maine simply doesn’t care. He would be the BMOC here to a level unparalleled, with the chance to be a legend. If he comes here, it is due to our staff, players, location, and basketball program generally.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

If it mattered then we wouldn’t have won a title several months ago. Much less 5 the last quarter century.

I don’t know if people are looking for something to yell at when Flagg does what he was always expected to do, or they’re just not thinking straight, but football has NOTHING to do with our basketball recruiting. Nothing.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if people are looking for something to yell at when Flagg does what he was always expected to do, or they’re just not thinking straight, but football has NOTHING to do with our basketball recruiting. Nothing.
If the two things have nothing to do with each other, why do we so often take a basketball recruit to a football game?

Reaction Score
If the two things have nothing to do with each other, why do we so often take a basketball recruit to a football game?
It's a slice of student life.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah it seems like Duke is going to have a very weird roster makeup for him if he does decide to go there. Like the year they had RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Zion Williamson.

I feel like we have that going for us. No idea on Kansas roster.
Yeah. Power is a stud but isn’t projected to be more than a 2nd round pick. If they don’t get PN, they have no center and two very long skilled PFs. Duke should have wings to spare, so I doubt either can play much SF. Do they play Power or Flagg as small ball 5s?

Kansas has a top center coming in. KJ Adams would be a senior PF, he’s unlikely to get drafted unless he starts shooting 3s this year. They have some guards and SFs but really nobody who Flagg would compete with. Adams could play SF.

UConn should be a good situation. Wide open if Alex leaves, but even if he doesn’t they can make it work. All depends on what Flagg is expecting and how that fits in to each of these teams.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Power is a stud but isn’t projected to be more than a 2nd round pick. If they don’t get PN, they have no center and two very long skilled PFs. Duke should have wings to spare, so I doubt either can play much SF. Do they play Power or Flagg as small ball 5s?

Kansas has a top center coming in. KJ Adams would be a senior PF, he’s unlikely to get drafted unless he starts shooting 3s this year. They have some guards and SFs but really nobody who Flagg would compete with. Adams could play SF.

UConn should be a good situation. Wide open if Alex leaves, but even if he doesn’t they can make it work. All depends on what Flagg is expecting and how that fits in to each of these teams.
This 2024 kid plays the same position as Flagg. From Facebook.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Recruit Liam McNeeley is reportedly down to either Kansas or Indiana!

Reaction Score
I think a lot of fans/people on here fail to realize is that the coaches/schools have the final say in whether they go after/bring on board recruits that are on their long(er) list of potential targets. As the staff learns about players both on and off the court/playing field they back off of guys just as often as recruits turn their attention elsewhere. It is not always a case of a staff whiffing or coming up short. Sometimes the recruit comes up short in one category or more. In the day and age of the portal/free agency, it is wise for staff's to keep scholarships in their pocket for use in the portal after a season has concluded. Do you want to bet exclusively on 17-19 year olds that have never played a collegiate game, set foot in a college classroom, fit into life away from their upbringing or would you rather want to sprinkle 20-22 year old that have shown a 2-3 year collegiate track record?

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why this keeps being said when that’s not what anyone is saying.
You’re either saying it’s relevant to his decision or you’re just wasting everyone’s time. Giving you credit that it’s at least the former, you are overwhelmingly being told that it defies belief that a player of his talents, looking to spend six months on a college campus, is going to care how much the fan base is behind a football program. Now, it’s fine if that’s your belief, but the fact that you believe it doesn’t make your belief rational.

Reaction Score
He grew up in Maine. Appreciation for bigtime college football atmosphere was probably not high on the priority list. The annual Bowdoin-Colby game is the height of football interest up there.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You’re either saying it’s relevant to his decision or you’re just wasting everyone’s time. Giving you credit that it’s at least the former, you are overwhelmingly being told that it defies belief that a player of his talents, looking to spend six months on a college campus, is going to care how much the fan base is behind a football program. Now, it’s fine if that’s your belief, but the fact that you believe it doesn’t make your belief rational.
No, the overarching point is that he’s going to be comparing his in person experience with our fan base to how they were at a football game while on the other visits he’s going to get an in person experience of the fan bases at crazy first nights for the basketball team.

When we’re trying to climb an uphill battle it’s a bad punch to throw.

Responding that he doesn’t care about football or anything that has to do with how good our football team isn’t is being purposefully obtuse at this point and lacking reading comprehension. That’s not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom