Cooper Flagg Commits to Duke | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg Commits to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
But what about storrs… he was always going to Duke. I’m glad it’s over we can finally get back to talking about winning basketball games.

Reaction Score
An excellent article from Trilly on the step by step of Flagg's recruitment.

The nuggets:
  • NIL was not a factor, we matched Duke there (I'd heard this from several sources during the recruitment)
  • If Cooper wasn't a lifelong Duke fan, we almost certainly would've had him.
"The visit to Connecticut went about as well as it could’ve. In any other situation, with any other recruit, UConn would’ve sealed the deal with the attention to detail they put into this visit."​
- This was an incredibly positive experience for the UConn brand.
"Following the Duke visit, we took some time to acknowledge the work that Dan Hurley and his staff put into this recruitment. UConn didn’t have to pursue Flagg at the lengths they did, but they earned a lot of respect around the sport for going for it. Some coaches will even tell you it’s a legitimate strategy to go after guys you don’t think you have a real shot with – though we don’t believe Hurley went into this with that mindset. Do we think UConn ever “took the lead” in this recruitment? No. But for Hurley’s staff to make up ground in what was one of the steepest uphill climbs in recruiting history is certainly noteworthy. Duke was always considered the heavy favorite here, but Connecticut showed the college basketball landscape they’re willing and able to compete with anyone for the nation’s top recruits."​
  • The article does not explicitly say this, but the reports that Cooper took the visit as a courtesy or because we paid him are complete nonsense. We were a legitimate contender. I'd heard from several sources that Hurley and staff felt post-visit that they were about a 60/40 underdog. To get that close when Duke started the recruitment with a miles long head start is a testament to Dan and his staff.
  • He cancelled the KU visit because of the Nike/Adidas affiliation.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
IMG_8569.jpeg

Reaction Score
The conspiracy theorist in me says that Cooper Flagg visited UConn to collect information about us. He was a Duke commit a year ago maybe his supposed interest was all just a rouge.

Remember when Lebron had supposed interest in other teams in the summer of 2010 when he had verbally agreed to sign with the Heat in the summer of 2008, with Wade and Bosh.

Reaction Score
Glad it’s over officially!!! He can go to Duke and win some games. Hurley will Continue to bring the right type of tough gritty players that are here for 3 years or more . We will continue to win titles and Duke will win games

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just need to move on now and Hurley and the staff need to put their energy on the other targets or possible transfers

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Poor kid, what could have been

I'm hoping he could still be a star in the pros. Hey, Jason Tatum is, so it's possible

In all seriousness, we'll be just fine. Everyone here should know that by now. Good luck Cooper, yesterday's news

Reaction Score
Did Flagg actually sign his NLI??

Asking for a friend……

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members