Coombs's Waiver Petition Denied | The Boneyard

Coombs's Waiver Petition Denied

Reaction Score
Not surprising

Feel bad for the kid, but this could be a blessing in disguise for Coombs! She desperately needs to develop her jumpshot and overall offensive game, maybe the year off will give her the time to do just that.

Reaction Score
This definitely doesn't spell well for the Westbrook appeal. It appears the NCAA has decided after being lax past 3 to 4 years in granting transfer transfer waivers they are now not. I can't help but scratch my head at why now the NCAA has decided to toughen up their approval process. Does not appear to be fair. We can only assume that Geno supported Coombs waiver as he supported AEH waiver last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Feel bad for the kid, but this could be a blessing in disguise for Coombs! She desperately needs to develop her jumpshot and overall offensive game, maybe the year off will give her the time to do just that.
At this point in her career I sincerely doubt that she’s going to be able to break down and rebuild a fundamentally flawed shooting stroke that she’s had since before she entered HS.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
At this point in her career I sincerely doubt that she’s going to be able to break down and rebuild a fundamentally flawed shooting stroke that she’s had since before she entered HS.
If it was that apparent that early, why did Geno recruit her? He normally has such a good eye for uncoachable flaws, and tends to avoid "projects." I wasn't around during her recruitment, but I'm curious to know how this wasn't apparent back then (or why, if it was, it wasn't considered fatal).

Wish her the best - she seemed like a good, albeit bedeviling, egg.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If it was that apparent that early, why did Geno recruit her? He normally has such a good eye for uncoachable flaws, and tends to avoid "projects." I wasn't around during her recruitment, but I'm curious to know how this wasn't apparent back then (or why, if it was, it wasn't considered fatal).

I suggested the following explanation last year. Mikayla checked all the boxes. Great athlete with speed and springs on her feet. Great off the dribble with the ability to attack the basket. Tough defender, good passer and hard worker with a great attitude. If you watch highlight films of her HS days, you will see her make a bunch of 3’s.

I don’t know how many times the UConn coaches watched Mikayla in person, but I would guess it would be no more than 2 and possibly only once. On that night, maybe she didn’t take a lot of outside shots, maybe she made a few or maybe you just chalk it up to a bad shooting night. Certainly, UConn had to recognize Mikayla’s extremely unorthodox shooting stroke. She basically slings the ball from her waist.

In the McD AA game I was extremely high on Mikayla for playing defense and setting up her teammates, 2 things you see very little of in HS all star games. Looking back on that game, Mikayla took few if any shots.

In retrospect, I think Geno and his coaching staff simply missed the fact that Mikayla was a really bad shooter from outside, or perhaps they thought they could coach her up. As I said, she checked all the boxes.

Reaction Score

Because she was a solid defensive player and she was recruited when bodies were needed,

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This definitely doesn't spell well for the Westbrook appeal. It appears the NCAA has decided after being lax past 3 to 4 years in granting transfer transfer waivers they are now not. I can't help but scratch my head at why now the NCAA has decided to toughen up their approval process. Does not appear to be fair. We can only assume that Geno supported Coombs waiver as he supported AEH waiver last year.
I doubt that there's an overall trend of tightening. Plenty of waiver requests have been approved. On the men's side in particular, there were about 4 approvals for every denial.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I doubt that there's an overall trend of tightening. Plenty of waiver requests have been approved. On the men's side in particular, there were about 4 approvals for every denial.

There has been a higher percentage of waivers granted in the women's game.

Reaction Score
I really do not know why she decided to leave, She would have had a lot of playing time because she could have provided very needed defense on a team that Geno says can't play defense. She was a solid dribbler and could attack the basket.

Well, C'est la vie

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I really do not know why she decided to leave, She would have had a lot of playing time because she could have provided very needed defense on a team that Geno says can't play defense. She was a solid dribbler and could attack the basket.

Well, C'est la vie
I'm sorry, but UConn is in bad shape if Coombs would have gotten major PT against good teams. As good as her defense was, it forces UConn to truly play 4 on 5 on offense, since she basically couldn't score anything but layups.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but UConn is in bad shape if Coombs would have gotten major PT against good teams. As good as her defense was, it forces UConn to truly play 4 on 5 on offense, since she basically couldn't score anything but layups.
Kalana Greene, Kelly Faris, and Caroline Doty were no offensive juggernauts either, yet all three played a whole lot of minutes in big games. Doty mainly because of her poise, but the other two mainly offered defense and average offense at best (neither averaged above 12.5ppg). You’re telling me that if Coombs got 30mpg she couldn’t reach 10ppg? I’d have to think if she continued to work on her game and was given significant enough minutes the scoring would follow like it did for Greene and Faris.

Reaction Score
Kalana Greene, Kelly Faris, and Caroline Doty were no offensive juggernauts either, yet all three played a whole lot of minutes in big games. Doty mainly because of her poise, but the other two mainly offered defense and average offense at best (neither averaged above 12.5ppg). You’re telling me that if Coombs got 30mpg she couldn’t reach 10ppg? I’d have to think if she continued to work on her game and was given significant enough minutes the scoring would follow like it did for Greene and Faris.
I was thinking of that same team. You don't need everyone to score 15 a night when you can hold opponents in the 50s or lower in most games.

Reaction Score

Doty had potential to be a great shooter before she got hurt, I would call her a good offensive player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The game has changed. Geno runs a 1-4 motion offense that works best if everyone on the floor can shoot the ball. It is particularly important that both guards can shoot the ball. In last year’s FF, Baylor, ND, OR & UConn were among the highest scoring teams in the nation. There won’t be any teams winning championships by 50-48 anymore.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but UConn is in bad shape if Coombs would have gotten major PT against good teams. As good as her defense was, it forces UConn to truly play 4 on 5 on offense, since she basically couldn't score anything but uncontested layups.

FIFY

Reaction Score
Doty had potential to be a great shooter before she got hurt, I would call her a good offensive player.
I agree that she could’ve been a great shooter and offensive player, but she wasn’t after her injuries and she stilled played considerable minutes given the other players on the teams she played on.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Coombs doesn't belong in the same conversation with Greene, Faris and Doty. Greene and Faris played in the WNBA for god's sakes. All 3 could score some baskets, were good passers and could fit in offensively. Coombs was not capable of any of those things. She showed she was a capable defender and had a nose for the basketball. She just didn't know what to do with the ball once she got her hands on it.

Reaction Score
Coombs doesn't belong in the same conversation with Greene, Faris and Doty. Greene and Faris played in the WNBA for god's sakes. All 3 could score some baskets, were good passers and could fit in offensively. Coombs was not capable of any of those things. She showed she was a capable defender and had a nose for the basketball. She just didn't know what to do with the ball once she got her hands on it.
The WNBA part is kind of moot given 1) Coombs is not eligible for the WNBA yet and 2) neither Greene nor Faris have made teams lately...

Not sure I would count either Greene or Faris as adept passers either. Greene was essentially 1:1 A:TO ratio and Faris was around 2:1. Coombs 37 assists to 29 turnovers puts her on par with Greene’s career A:TO average. Coombs’ fg% wasn’t great, I’ll concede that, but then again neither was the sample size (19/68 or about 27.9%). If they continued to develop her shooting form and she wasn’t yanked for making the same mistakes every starter made she might have eventually flourished. Who knows. My point being that not everyone on the court needs to be a sharpshooting bucket getter. Some are meant to provide defense, hustle, and the occasional offense—whether that be a good pass, pick, or shot.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by this or why it would bode ill for Evina. Mikayla's coach was not fired, nor was she abused and harassed on social media by fans. I'm not sure of the exact reasons each gave for their waiver request, but I can't imagine they share any similarities, except that they both left schools they were originally recruited to...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom