Coombs's Waiver Petition Denied | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coombs's Waiver Petition Denied

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On that one great game Geno spoke wonderfully of her--then she never really followed up on that. And Geno spoke of that often. Diggins for the most part owned Kelly, as a defender she didn't do well with Diggy Baby. In the one game i SEE in my minds eye and saw a month or so ago on Youtube, Diggins stuffed kelly at least twice and Kelly could not return the favor. As kelly and diggins enter the College basket all pundits spoke of Kelly being Uconn equal to Diggins, that never happened and I'm am not a Diggins fan.
You believe as you do and I'll remember and then watch the replays. Kelly got a lot of adoration for some UC fans because supposedly her father was a coach and she played like a coaches daughter--I never saw that.
I destroyed all my CPTV tapes or I'd pull some of those comment out. Again, you believe as you do and I keep my view of Kelly as I do. Obviously I wasnt far from the truth in my eval of kelly, she didn't do well or long in the Pros. Have a merry Xmas.
Merry Christmas to you also. Someone been sippin on the adult eggnog a little early I see.
This post is so wrong on so many levels! One small example: Diggins never blocked Kelly's shot during that game. It was Bria Hartley's shot that she blocked twice cleanly.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe you should watch this Replay

then you can read 5 Ways to Bounce Back from Sticking Your Foot in Your Mouth

Yeah, I thought of that game too. Kelly scored 10 pts, grabbed 6 rebounds including 2 offensive boards on one possession that stymied ND's attempt to get back in the game. Kelly also dished out 6 assists and had 2 blocks. Diggins also scored 10 points but on 3-15 shooting, and committed 6 turnovers. Kelly made winning plays to win her 2nd championship; Diggins was denied her final attempt at a championship.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Merry Christmas to you also. Someone been sippin on the adult eggnog a little early I see.
This post is so wrong on so many levels! One small example: Diggins never blocked Kelly's shot during that game. It was Bria Hartley's shot that she blocked twice cleanly.

You're right. Wrong on just about everything.

Diggins's individual stats against UConn were not great. In the 4 games in the 2013-2014 season, she made about 31% of her shots and turned the ball over 26 times. She made big, winning plays against UConn, but not when the championship was on the line.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought of that game too. Kelly score 10 pts, grabbed 6 rebounds including 2 offensive boards on one possession that stymied ND's attempt to get back in the game. Kelly also dished out 6 assists and had 2 blocks. Diggins also score 10 points but on 3-15 shooting, and committed 6 turnovers. Kelly made winning plays to win her 2nd championship; Diggins was denied her final attempt at a championship.
Hate to quibble but it was 3 consecutive offensive rebounds. ND had cut the lead to 6, Stewie missed a jumper Faris rebounded and kicked to Hartley for a 3. Bria missed and Faris rebounded the miss. Dolson was fouled and went to the line made first missed the second resulting in another Faris rebound. It broke ND's back!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hate to quibble but it was 3 consecutive offensive rebounds. ND had cut the lead to 6, Stewie missed a jumper Faris rebounded and kicked to Hartley for a 3. Bria missed and Faris rebounded the miss. Dolson was fouled and went to the line made first missed the second resulting in another Faris rebound. It broke ND's back!

I stand corrected! After the 3rd offensive rebound, Kelly then made the assist on Stewie's driving layup that ended that possession. Four winning plays on one possession.

Reaction Score
Kelly had trouble making 3's until a senior. Kelly had one GREAT game and even Geno commented on her not repeating it. Her greatest asset was ATTITUDE and COACH ABLE. the kinda kid Geno loves.. Coombs belongs in any conversation of UConn--she worked hard, played hard, had health issues, and had the GENO attitudes, positive. If Coombs stayed at Uconn who knows where she'd fit in this conversation. There are former Uconn kids that were true dud's, Coombs wasn't one of them. Let us discuss this in 3 years (I'll be happy to discuss anything in 3 years.)
EDIT---Kelly was suppose to be Uconns defensive answer to Diggins---never happened. In at least one game Diggins (as short as she was) stuffed Kelly a FEW times. Diggins had little trouble scoring on her.

The one game I do remember is the 2013 Semi final down in New Orleans. In this game Diggins played 38 minutes to Faris 30. Was this one of the games you speak of Diggins "stuffing" Kelly?

1575457510822.png

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The one game I do remember is the 2013 Semi final down in New Orleans. In this game Diggins played 38 minutes to Faris 30. Was this one of the games you speak of Diggins "stuffing" Kelly?

View attachment 48817
That box score also reminds me how much of a beast Stewwie was even by the end of her freshman year: 29 points in 29 minutes, along with 4 blocks and 4-5 from outside. Got me a bit wistful... Ah, good times...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

View attachment 48817

Without going back to the replay, to give correct props, I do seem to recall that Diggins stuffed Bria Hartley multiple times. Diggins was a very good defensive player in transition but she wilted and lost her composure on the other end in the biggest games

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The wonderful aspect of Kelly Faris was that on a team loaded with stars, she was the consummate roll-player on any given night. Need tough defense? Kelly would provide it. Need extra help on the boards? Kelly was inside crashing the boards with the Bigs. Need some extra scoring? Kelly could step out and knock down a 3 or drive to the basket.

Her nickname, the Swiss-Army Knife, was well deserved over countless games at UConn, doing whatever was necessary to help the Huskies win. As the daughter of a HS coach, Faris was similar to Kyla Irwin, doing all the little things that don’t always show up in the box score, but are critical to the team’s success.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The wonderful aspect of Kelly Faris was that on a team loaded with stars, she was the consummate roll-player on any given night. Need tough defense? Kelly would provide it. Need extra help on the boards? Kelly was inside crashing the boards with the Bigs. Need some extra scoring? Kelly could step out and knock down a 3 or drive to the basket.

Her nickname, the Swiss-Army Knife, was well deserved over countless games at UConn, doing whatever was necessary to help the Huskies win. As the daughter of a HS coach, Faris was similar to Kyla Irwin, doing all the little things that don’t always show up in the box score, but are critical to the team’s success.
Imagine if Kyla had Kelly’s athleticism....

Reaction Score

You beat me to it. You pretty much explain what made Kelly so valuable to that team. It isn't just about stats but supplying what a team needs. The teams Kelly played on had plenty of scorers so that is what they needed the least. That makes their offensive productions less relative with respect to what each player provided offensively. To the present Uconn team scoring is more important than any defense or other intangible that she might provide, so comparisons of their offensive capabilities are mote. This is a different team with different priorities with respect to needs.

Reaction Score
After careful examination and days and days of exhausting research I have finally discovered the Ncaa's method of decision making. The members gather around a large ornamental table. After a prayer is said by the Chaplin a small box is brought into the chamber by one of the stewards. The senior member then opens the box and takes out a two headed coin. The name of the student who has requested eligiliity to play is then announced. The coin is tossed and, depending on whether it is heads or tails, the decision is made.

Reaction Score
Correction: blocked once, fouled once, and to add insult to injury Bria was called for a foul on a clean block

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom