Connecticut Wakes Up On NIL Legislation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Connecticut Wakes Up On NIL Legislation

Reaction Score
NCAA Division I Manual Article 2 Principles for Conduct of Intercollegiate Athletics

2.9 The Principle of Amateurism. [*] Student-athletes shall be amateurs in an intercollegiate sport, and their participation should be motivated primarily by education and by the physical, mental and social benefits to be derived. Student participation in intercollegiate athletics is an avocation, and student-athletes should be protected from exploitation by professional and commercial enterprises.
That is an NCAA regulation that the players voluntarily choose to abide by. As it stands, there is no law in America that prevents players from making money from their name, image, or likeness.

Reaction Score
That is an NCAA regulation that the players voluntarily choose to abide by. As it stands, there is no law in America that prevents players from making money from their name, image, or likeness.
You can call it "voluntarily," but if a student-athlete chooses not to abide they lose their eligibility and athletic grant-in-aid (scholarship). Up until now that has held student-athletes in check. A new world in college sports is about to open up, but it is not there yet.

Reaction Score
If he actually was in front of this, there would be no need for states to enact pointless legislation. The NCAA would have modified its rules a year ago and that would’ve been the end of it.
I agree, they should have acted earlier, but they didn't. They never expected all these states to jump on this with different points of view. Now they are chasing their tail. The cheapest way out is with federal legislation. They don't have the money to battle 50 states and all the differences in order to keep a fair base for all schools. The NCAA has been hurt monetarily and person power wise through Covid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, they should have acted earlier, but they didn't. They never expected all these states to jump on this with different points of view. Now they are chasing their tail. The cheapest way out is with federal legislation. They don't have the money to battle 50 states and all the differences in order to keep a fair base for all schools. The NCAA has been hurt monetarily and person power wise through Covid.
I think the easiest way out of it is for the NCAA just to come up with a set of rules and floated out to their membership. I’m a little wary of a federal attempt at a solution. What was it that Ronald Reagan used to say… The nine scariest words in the English language are “I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”

Reaction Score
Another option that doesn't seem to be getting much consideration: the NCAA can just say we're not going to allow any of this and if you want to get paid go join a professional team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom