Connecticut governor declares UConn is 'all in' on big-time college football despite its current spot at bottom (Yahoo Thamel) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Connecticut governor declares UConn is 'all in' on big-time college football despite its current spot at bottom (Yahoo Thamel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We can look to the northern Chicago suburbs for a case study. Northwestern was dog meat for years an 'Ivy' in a big land grant conference. They figured out how to win with constraints and get to meaningful bowl games from time to time. I know they get Big 10 money so don't point out the obvious here, but they have a much tougher hill to climb and have figured it out with Barnett and Fitzgerald. Just gotta do better with head coaching hires...
Really it all comes down to. If you are in your mid 40s, you remember what schools like, Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Washinton State, and Missouri were. Absolute dog meat. They all changed their fortunes around with good hires. Yes they have to find the money for a HC and assistants. It is an absolute must. That said find the right guy. They don't have to unload the brinks truck to hire a HC. If you hire a Lance Leipold on the cheap, increase his pay to stay.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Really it all comes down to. If you are in your mid 40s, you remember what schools like, Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Washinton State, and Missouri were. Absolute dog meat. They all changed their fortunes around with good hires. Yes they have to find the money for a HC and assistants. It is an absolute must. That said find the right guy. They don't have to unload the brinks truck to hire a HC. If you hire a Lance Leipold on the cheap, increase his pay to stay.
Exactly, Temple was kicked out of the Big East because they were awful...

Reaction Score
We can look to the northern Chicago suburbs for a case study.

Northwestern was dog meat for years, an 'Ivy' in a big land grant conference. They figured out how to win with constraints and get to meaningful bowl games from time to time. I know they get Big 10 money so don't point out the obvious here, but they have a much tougher hill to climb in the BIG and have figured it out with institutional commitment plus the hiring of Barnett and then Fitzgerald.

Just gotta do better with head coaching hires and with the commitment from the State and the U

They have to make smart decisions, because they can't get the same athletes that the other schools can given the academic restrictions (like ND/Stanford/etc). But money is not a problem there for sure.

I toured the $280M athletics complex over labor day weekend (my son is an intern trainer for the FB team this year). The facilities are amazing. BUT I wouldn't say they are much better than UCONN's facilities - in some cases I thought UCONN's facilities are better because UCONN had more space to spread it all out.

The point being - the REAL expensive stuff - UCONN already has. They just need to MAKE GOOD CHOICES (maybe DB should tattoo it on his neck in Sanskrit) and hire the right staff.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget - UConn stayed in the AAC long enough to collect the exit fees from the Big East split. It has both collected exit fees and paid exit fees.
Smart point.

Reaction Score
Exactly, Temple was kicked out of the Big East because they were awful...
Ah, the good old days. They were hopeless, aimless and beyond fixable … until they weren’t with great coaching

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Ah, the good old days. They were hopeless, aimless and beyond fixable … until they weren’t with great coaching
Al Golden, who id take a look at..He did as well at Miami as anyone since..

Reaction Score
Give it five more years. Enough time to hire a competent coach to build the program up. if, in 5 years, the program has not made any progress and is STILL the butt of all jokes, yah, by that time it will be time to think about moving down.

But if you want to continue this, actually spend and make all efforts possible to make UConn at least decent. 1 or 2 bad hires, that could happen to just about anyone. But 3 is a lot (PP, D, RE counting him as one) and if this 4th one is a stinker and UConn is still having winless seasons in 2025/6, by that time, end it already IMO.

The correct hire can right this ship within a few years. Holding out hope.
I would agree with your assessment only if they are still independent in football.

Reaction Score
We’ll be viable much faster if we retain our good players this offseason. This is not a total rebuild.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was laughed at for saying we couldn't afford Moorhead. Maybe he still signs elsewhere, but I doubt it'll be because we low balled him.

Reaction Score
We’ll be viable much faster if we retain our good players this offseason. This is not a total rebuild.
So much this. Our plays were competing when the offense was put into positions to succeed. And the defense fed off that energy too. All we need is to get the right mind that can maximize the production. Mazzone started it. We need someone to continue it.

Reaction Score
I would do a decent contract between $1M to $2M that's incentive laden. If the coach does well, we can always increase the payout later.
The perception of the UConn administration among college coaching ranks is not good. Several names who UConn reached out to after PP and Diaco wouldn’t even come here to talk, and in the end the only one who wanted the job for what they were paying was Edsall. Bottom line is if Gov Lamont wants big time football to come to Storrs, he’s gonna half to pay for it, and maybe even throw in an on campus stadium. If they did build an on campus stadium that certainly would shut up the critics who say UConn is not serious about FBS football. If Benedict does find a diamond in the rough so to speak I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy comes out of the Big 12, maybe a head coach or maybe a hot OC or DC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The state may agree to bond an on-campus stadium. But one of the big problems is what to do with the Rent. If Central CT wants to get serious about FCS football, they could take it over. Politically, it would look awful if the place remained empty. Maybe try to get some non-college sports using it too. Unless there is a potential buyer for the place. They could pay for it. Not sure what they would use it for.

Reaction Score
The state may agree to bond an on-campus stadium. But one of the big problems is what to do with the Rent. If Central CT wants to get serious about FCS football, they could take it over. Politically, it would look awful if the place remained empty. Maybe try to get some non-college sports using it too. Unless there is a potential buyer for the place. They could pay for it. Not sure what they would use it for.
It would be a perfect MLS stadium.

Reaction Score
I predict ... earlier than December 1. Benedict said December 1 this week. I think he is thinking he has an advantage in several ways to get the search complete - with Parker - and get someone in place near our last gam
The Stadium is not the issue! A new stadium would cost at least more than 4 times the initial cost of the RENT not to mention road infrastructure. Of course maybe they got a commitment from Joe Bidden when he was on campus Friday to add the infrastructure to his proposed infrastructure bill.

Reaction Score
Lots of uses for it. The state high school playoffs for one, negotiate with the Pats to play a couple games there each year, major league soccer, and as you say Central, WesConn, Holy Cross, UAlbany and even Umass might be interested.

Reaction Score
I work in real estate development in the Northeast. There is a HUGE problem with 30-40,000 people coming to Storrs on a Saturday on a road that has trouble with weekday traffic into the University; there is a Town that fought multiple attempts at significant development in the last 40 years - with environmental and water/sewer problems; there are wealthy NIMBY elements; AND all this was true in 1993. Magic. You wish it were on campus.

It is absolutely true that you got a State-of-the-art stadium in 2003. You can look at 100+ stadiums on YOUTUBE right now. That stadium is still beautiful and functional. And when winning, it is a absolutely fun 40,000 sports environment. Helluva good. Above: the Opportunity Cost; the Replacement Cost. Nobody is going to vote in that legislature for a new stadium that will cost $300m+ (and it was reported at $91m in 2002; and then had multiple expenditures to enhance it)

I went to UCLA for grad school and traveled a 50+ minute light traffic I10 into the Rose Bowl for football. There is a compelling story for the State of Connecticut (small state) to have a easily accessible Rent. Sad. They haven't done a good job. It is a far under-improved valuable land development. A UCLA fan would tell you about Colorado Blvd in Pasadena after games. They are used to football being a 6-8 hour thing.

The saddest thing is the contrast today to 2004-2010. Many of us have watched sports for a long time. There is no structural/systemic reason to not achieve what we all would like. The biggest question mark ... was scheduling after the AAC; I am firmly convinced that we have done that superbly. Day 722: it is totally up from here.

Reaction Score
Lots of uses for it. The state high school playoffs for one, negotiate with the Pats to play a couple games there each year, major league soccer, and as you say Central, WesConn, Holy Cross, UAlbany and even Umass might be interested.
There's some potential there, but would it make financial sense for the Pats, or even the Jets, to play there? Even preseason, would they lose money on the deal compared to Foxborough or the Meadowlands? High school playoffs would not generate much if any revenue. The out of state colleges have other options and it would look odd playing in another state. Can Connecticut land the highest level of pro-soccer? Not sure they want to come to Hartford, but would be great to get them. I think Central CT may be best bet. I would suggest if they do end up there, and UConn has another stadium, make sure their home game schedules are not on the same day. It could hurt the attendance at both schools if times conflict.

Reaction Score
This is without the road improvements?
As I said before, the locals resisted the downtown Storrs business development for years. It was built eventually. Many of them are now visiting it for dining, shopping and medical appointments. The advantage of football is there are likely six home games a year. Assume most are on Saturday. The locals can just avoid traveling over those few hours a year. Also, if the stadium is built near the new technological park there is a road there that heads out to Route 44. It may keep some of the traffic from the center of Mansfield. If need be, shuttle service could be provided from some nearby locations. For instance, parking lots at the Eastbrook Mall, Eastern CT, and maybe a few locations around Hartford could be used to lessen traffic impact. A strong FBS program with an on-campus stadium would help UConn in numerous ways. Many of the locals work for the university.

Also, for decades people who lived in Westville, the residential section of New Haven close to the Yale Bowl, had traffic very close to their houses when Yale had home games. Attendance was often over 60,000. They survived. Those were some of the most expensive houses in New Haven. Some residents even sold parking spaces for the games using their lawns or driveways.

One of my main concerns is that Horsebarn Hill not be used for a stadium. It is essential to the character of UConn.

Reaction Score
There's some potential there, but would it make financial sense for the Pats, or even the Jets, to play there? Even preseason, would they lose money on the deal compared to Foxborough or the Meadowlands? High school playoffs would not generate much if any revenue. The out of state colleges have other options and it would look odd playing in another state. Can Connecticut land the highest level of pro-soccer? Not sure they want to come to Hartford, but would be great to get them. I think Central CT may be best bet. I would suggest if they do end up there, and UConn has another stadium, make sure their home game schedules are not on the same day. It could hurt the attendance at both schools if times conflict.
The question is about uses for the Rent, not revenue. Just forget about revenue except for Pats games. Remember that they are the New England Patriots, not the Boston Patriots as they once were called, so to my mind a couple games a year in Hartford makes sense especially for the Fairfield and New Haven counties crowds. I don’t know about the Jets, possibly but it’s a stretch. Good point about any conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom