Connecticut governor declares UConn is 'all in' on big-time college football despite its current spot at bottom (Yahoo Thamel)

Reaction Score
We can look to the northern Chicago suburbs for a case study. Northwestern was dog meat for years an 'Ivy' in a big land grant conference. They figured out how to win with constraints and get to meaningful bowl games from time to time. I know they get Big 10 money so don't point out the obvious here, but they have a much tougher hill to climb and have figured it out with Barnett and Fitzgerald. Just gotta do better with head coaching hires...
Really it all comes down to. If you are in your mid 40s, you remember what schools like, Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Washinton State, and Missouri were. Absolute dog meat. They all changed their fortunes around with good hires. Yes they have to find the money for a HC and assistants. It is an absolute must. That said find the right guy. They don't have to unload the brinks truck to hire a HC. If you hire a Lance Leipold on the cheap, increase his pay to stay.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Really it all comes down to. If you are in your mid 40s, you remember what schools like, Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Washinton State, and Missouri were. Absolute dog meat. They all changed their fortunes around with good hires. Yes they have to find the money for a HC and assistants. It is an absolute must. That said find the right guy. They don't have to unload the brinks truck to hire a HC. If you hire a Lance Leipold on the cheap, increase his pay to stay.
Exactly, Temple was kicked out of the Big East because they were awful...

Reaction Score
We can look to the northern Chicago suburbs for a case study.

Northwestern was dog meat for years, an 'Ivy' in a big land grant conference. They figured out how to win with constraints and get to meaningful bowl games from time to time. I know they get Big 10 money so don't point out the obvious here, but they have a much tougher hill to climb in the BIG and have figured it out with institutional commitment plus the hiring of Barnett and then Fitzgerald.

Just gotta do better with head coaching hires and with the commitment from the State and the U

They have to make smart decisions, because they can't get the same athletes that the other schools can given the academic restrictions (like ND/Stanford/etc). But money is not a problem there for sure.

I toured the $280M athletics complex over labor day weekend (my son is an intern trainer for the FB team this year). The facilities are amazing. BUT I wouldn't say they are much better than UCONN's facilities - in some cases I thought UCONN's facilities are better because UCONN had more space to spread it all out.

The point being - the REAL expensive stuff - UCONN already has. They just need to MAKE GOOD CHOICES (maybe DB should tattoo it on his neck in Sanskrit) and hire the right staff.

Reaction Score
Exactly, Temple was kicked out of the Big East because they were awful...
Ah, the good old days. They were hopeless, aimless and beyond fixable … until they weren’t with great coaching

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Ah, the good old days. They were hopeless, aimless and beyond fixable … until they weren’t with great coaching
Al Golden, who id take a look at..He did as well at Miami as anyone since..

Reaction Score
Give it five more years. Enough time to hire a competent coach to build the program up. if, in 5 years, the program has not made any progress and is STILL the butt of all jokes, yah, by that time it will be time to think about moving down.

But if you want to continue this, actually spend and make all efforts possible to make UConn at least decent. 1 or 2 bad hires, that could happen to just about anyone. But 3 is a lot (PP, D, RE counting him as one) and if this 4th one is a stinker and UConn is still having winless seasons in 2025/6, by that time, end it already IMO.

The correct hire can right this ship within a few years. Holding out hope.
I would agree with your assessment only if they are still independent in football.

Reaction Score
We’ll be viable much faster if we retain our good players this offseason. This is not a total rebuild.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was laughed at for saying we couldn't afford Moorhead. Maybe he still signs elsewhere, but I doubt it'll be because we low balled him.

Reaction Score
We’ll be viable much faster if we retain our good players this offseason. This is not a total rebuild.
So much this. Our plays were competing when the offense was put into positions to succeed. And the defense fed off that energy too. All we need is to get the right mind that can maximize the production. Mazzone started it. We need someone to continue it.

Top Bottom