Congrats to Saniya, 5/10/17 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Congrats to Saniya, 5/10/17

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
JoePgh, with respect to your comment = Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!! You nailed it!!! I could not agree with you more. Saniya's success to this point is definitely a by-product of Geno's "tough love". The man knows what he's doing. Different players have different buttons that when pushed, get the desired results. He knew where she needed to be, and refused to compromise. It's a coach's duty and responsibility to find those respective buttons for each player on his/her squad. I think we can all agree that Chong was nowhere near the complete and polished player as a freshman that she was as a senior. She acknowledged her coaches criticisms, then went about correcting those deficiencies.

She worked on correcting them to the point that Geno and the other coaches were satisfied they could put her on the court, and trust her to performed as expected. Another feather in Saniya's cap (that speaks to her character) is that by sticking it out, she has proven to everyone (coaches/GM's and other potential future employers) that she is not a quitter. She made a commitment to the program, and saw it through to completion. I am amazed at the growing number of players today that are transferring at an alarming rate, she didn't. She stuck it out.

She experienced some of the same challenges that other players defined as their reason for leaving a program. Sticking it out, and staying the course was not easy. I remember her once saying: "sometimes, things just don't go my way". Not quitting and sticking it out is a positive mind set that will serve her well the rest of her life.

The BIGGEST and most important play that I think Chong made since her arrival on campus, was made earlier this week, when she walked across the stage with the rest of her classmates to receive her diploma.
Of all the pictures of Saniya that I've seen since the day she first set foot on campus, the one below is my favorite. The reason why should be obvious. :)

View attachment 22271
Well stated. I am reminded that Geno commented on one show, something to the effect that his greatest worry was that someone would spend 4 years playing for him and not reach their potential. Clearly, that was not the case with Saniya.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Saniya. This is another step in her fulfilling the promise that she showed when she first came to the Huskies. Between the pressure of her stellar HS career and the injuries she had to deal with it took longer for her to make her mark on the UConn program. Given her heart and determination she should do well 8n the WNBA.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well stated. I am reminded that Geno commented on one show, something to the effect that his greatest worry was that someone would spend 4 years playing for him and not reach their potential. Clearly, that was not the case with Saniya.

I also remembering him saying on a show this year something to the effect that when the team was not playing well at one point in a game he turned to CD and they both agreed, "At least Saniya's out there" to right the ship. And that was the point when they both realized she'd gotten it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
she didn't score 100o points but she's about earn $1000.00

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Not new - that's her tat commemorating her brother, who died. She had it the whole time she was at UConn.
The one in the picture is an infinity sign. The one commemorating her brother is a date. Per Jeff Jacobs, March 17:

Saniya Chong showed all of her game, every bit of it, Saturday at Webster Bank Arena. What she did not show was her tattoo.

The numbers, in dark ink, are small and nondescript on her left wrist:

1985-2006.

Reaction Score
So don't be too hard on the "nay-sayers" that didn't have the vision you did. Being able to accurately see that far ahead is a "gift" not every one has. Most of us rely on the EYE TEST. This is usually the best form of evaluation we have at our disposal, and is usually fool-proof.

Why, thank you, Carnac! :cool:

Reaction Score
Now my big concern is...

will Leticia make the Sun roster?

She got a full suspension suspension for not showing up to camp. It was always known she wouldn't show up, because of Spanish national team stuff going on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom