Congrats to Saniya, 5/10/17 | The Boneyard

Congrats to Saniya, 5/10/17

Reaction Score
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Looks like UConn's Saniya Chong has made Dallas Wings

New Haven Register's Jim Fuller is reporting that it appears that Dallas will keep Saniya Chong on the roster:

"When her senior season began, it wasn't even certain if Saniya Chong would have a regular role at UConn but suddenly it is looking like she has made the opening day roster of the WNBA's Dallas Wings...

"The WNBA held its annual preseason conference call and with Dallas' Fred Williams one of the three coaches on the call, I asked him for his thoughts on Chong.

"'You come out of a structure, a DNA of a championship organization at UConn and when you have that kind of player, she understands winning,' Williams said. 'She understands her role as a point guard who can distribute the basketball and set up her team. She has demonstrated in practice and also in games that she played in preseason to show great leadership. I look to utilize her a great deal this season and rely on her great basketball IQ.'"

Reaction Score
The Final Four was in Dallas and Williams was seen at occasional UConn games over the last few seasons so I asked him when Chong was on his scouting radar.

"Ever since she was a freshman," Williams said. "We started way back when and followed her with the possibility to being there at a certain spot in the draft. I thought she has grown through the years and especially during the UConn streak, she got more minutes when the other point guard went into the pros."

Perhaps nobody can appreciate what Chong has done in the last seven months more than her former teammate and roommate Breanna Stewart. She was also on the call so of course I had her weigh in on the possibility of Chong making the cut with the Wings.

"She is my best friend and being with her for the past three years at Connecticut and rooming with her for two of those years, just to see the jump that she made in her senior year and took on a leadership role that nobody really knew if it was there or not but she took it and put herself in a great position in Dallas," Stewart said. "Hopefully she can just keep building opportunities for herself and taking advantage of them."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Looks like UConn's Saniya Chong has made Dallas Wings

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Amazing. Could not be happier. :D:D:D

I admit I was surprised. I thought Erin Phillips is particular was a good and savvy guard.

The home run quote by Fred Williams should be part of the UConn recruiting package. :D

"You come out of a structure, a DNA of a championship organization at UConn and when you have that kind of player, she understands winning," Williams said. "She understands her role as a point guard who can distribute the basketball and set up her team. She has demonstrated in practice and also in games that she played in preseason to show great leadership. I look to utilize her a great deal this season and rely on her great basketball IQ."

And this was really surprising to me.

The Final Four was in Dallas and Williams was seen at occasional UConn games over the last few seasons so I asked him when Chong was on his scouting radar.

"Ever since she was a freshman," Williams said. "We started way back when and followed her with the possibility to being there at a certain spot in the draft. I thought she has grown through the years and especially during the UConn streak, she got more minutes when the other point guard went into the pros.

Interesting that this is in the heart of texas. Should get some of texas recruits thinking a little more.:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LOL! "She got more minutes when the other point guard went into the pros."

The "other point guard" just happened to be 2-time All-American, 2-time Lieberman Award winner, Dawn Staley Award winner, Defensive Player of the Year, #2 draft pick, and WNBA rookie sensation Moriah Jefferson. That was no ordinary point guard playing ahead of Saniya!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So happy for Saniya and proud of her. 4 years of hard work have paid off in spades. I think she will have a long and fruitful career in the pros. I think she just scratched the surface at UCONN for what she can do. I'm excited for her future!!

Reaction Score
The home run quote by Fred Williams should be part of the UConn recruiting package. :D

"You come out of a structure, a DNA of a championship organization at UConn and when you have that kind of player, she understands winning," Williams said. "She understands her role as a point guard who can distribute the basketball and set up her team. She has demonstrated in practice and also in games that she played in preseason to show great leadership. I look to utilize her a great deal this season and rely on her great basketball IQ."

Interesting that this is in the heart of texas. Should get some of texas recruits thinking a little more.:rolleyes:
Cannot agree any more with you. Go UConn ~~~

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Saniya, a.k.a. the "Turtle Slayer."

Saniya should be the "poster child" for UConn recruits. Anyone with a remote chance of ever playing in the WNBA should look at Saniya's development over four years at UConn to understand that no other school provides a better overall environment to help them reach their goal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom