Congrats to Saniya, 5/10/17 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Congrats to Saniya, 5/10/17

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Dallas looks like they have a good team. With Johnson, and Diggins-Smith being the vets. Now adding Davis, Chong Grey and Akhator. Itf the rookies play well the team can be pretty good.

If Glory stays healthy, they can have two all-stars (her and SkyDigg) - lots of interesting teams this year, Dallas being one of them.

Kaela Davis is pretty much a wild-card, but as everyone always says, a lot of upside there. Will she become more efficient is the big question.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. According to Sports Day. The wings have indeed pared their roster down to the final 12. CHONG MADE THE CUT. Now you can officially break out the bubbly. Let's all toast Saniya. For she's a jolly good fellow!! Did she beat the odds or what? :)

The Dallas Wings cut veteran guard Erin Phillips, the team announced on Wednesday. It was the final move to bring the Wings down to their 12-player roster for the beginning of the WNBA season.

[LINK]

I still count thirteen names on the Wings roster. What am I missing? Is one of the players on the injured list?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If Glory stays healthy, they can have two all-stars (her and SkyDigg) - lots of interesting teams this year, Dallas being one of them.

Kaela Davis is pretty much a wild-card, but as everyone always says, a lot of upside there. Will she become more efficient is the big question.
Yes I agree. Davis if she can play to her upside. She and Grey have played together so that should help.

Reaction Score
Now, where are all of you Saniya Chong nay-sayers who came on The Boneyard before the start of this past season and as well as at the end of the previous season, basically saying that Chong was washed up and a total bust at UCONN and that Crystal Dangerfield was going to come in and take over the Point Guard spot? I have always been one to admit on this board, publicly if I was wrong in any statement that I said. But i have yet to see those individuals with the strong "Anti-Chong" opinions, coming back on hear and now admitting that they were indeed wrong about Saniya, now that she has made a WNBA roster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Now, where are all of you Saniya Chong nay-sayers who came on The Boneyard before the start of this past season and as well as at the end of the previous season, basically saying that Chong was washed up and a total bust at UConn and that Crystal Dangerfield was going to come in and take over the Point Guard spot? I have always been one to admit on this board, publicly if I was wrong in any statement that I said. But i have yet to see those individuals with the strong "Anti-Chong" opinions, coming back on hear and now admitting that they were indeed wrong about Saniya, now that she has made a WNBA roster.
Obviously, you don't read every post. During the season, I indicated that I was one of those who felt that Danger would ultimately beat out Saniya as the starting pg, and that I was delighted to admit that I was wrong. A number of other BY'ers expressed similar views.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations again Saniya!!
I am so happy for you, and I look forward to watching you play and live out your dreams on the court. Good luck on a good WNBA season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Now, where are all of you Saniya Chong nay-sayers who came on The Boneyard before the start of this past season and as well as at the end of the previous season, basically saying that Chong was washed up and a total bust at UConn and that Crystal Dangerfield was going to come in and take over the Point Guard spot? I have always been one to admit on this board, publicly if I was wrong in any statement that I said. But i have yet to see those individuals with the strong "Anti-Chong" opinions, coming back on hear and now admitting that they were indeed wrong about Saniya, now that she has made a WNBA roster.

Chong-Master, first of all, congratulations on Saniya beating the odds, and making the cut. Be we closet Saniya fans, or front row cheerleaders like you, we are ALL happy and extremely proud that Saniya not only defied the odds of making the Wings (or any) roster as a 3rd round selection, but that she is living proof that Geno and CD produce players that can transition to the professional level and compete successfully.

It is expected that marquee players like Lobo, Sue Bird, Tina, Taurasi, Maya, Stewie, MoJeff, et al, make the transition to the professional ranks with little or no effort, because their "extraordinary" talent level, BB IQ and college coaching is so unique. While Chong did show a great deal of potential coming out of high school, she was not quite able to reach the standard or level of proficiency and consistency that the staff wanted and expected of her during her first 3 years in the program.

It was an uphill battle for Chong every step of the way. She encountered several challenges and obstacles early on. She could have thrown in the towel and transferred at any time, but she persevered and hung in there. She didn't display any characteristics that that would suggest she was about to break out of her slump, and be the player Geno and staff thought she could be.

The I-Band injury didn't help either. That limited her play and availability the entire season. So up until the beginning of her senior year, not much was expected of her because she didn't give us any reason to. Unless you could see into the future, one had no way of knowing her breakout year was on the horizon.

I have no problem with you gloating, and sticking your chest out. You should be proud, as you stuck by her from the start, regularly commenting and reminding us that she was in-fact a good player that would step up, and make significant contributions in the days, weeks and months to come.

She saved her best for last. She did have that breakout season, and what a season it was. She played every game like the seasoned veteran she was. The team greatly benefited from her experience and leadership all season. FACT: Chong is the only player that started in the last two losses for UConn (Stanford in 2014 - Miss St in 2017).

So don't be too hard on the "nay-sayers" that didn't have the vision you did. Being able to accurately see that far ahead is a "gift" not every one has. Most of us rely on the EYE TEST. This is usually the best form of evaluation we have at our disposal, and is usually fool-proof.

So Chong-Master, a tip o' the turban to you. We all join you in your excitement and glee over Saniya overcoming the odds of making the cut as a 3rd round draftee, which is a very rare occurrence in the W. Believe me, ALL OF US are just as happy (for) and proud of Saniya as YOU are. You don't have the market cornered on that one.

She was the lone UConn player to enter the 2017 draft, and she make the cut. That speaks volumes about the type of program that Geno is running. UConn players do well, and are coveted by coaches and GM's in the WNBA. I hope that potential UConn recruits take note of this. Today is a good day!!! :)

Lastly, don't hold your breath waiting for the nay-sayers to come around apologizing for saying that Chong was washed up and a total bust at UConn and that Crystal Dangerfield was going to come in and take over the Point Guard spot with a strong odor of "crow" on their breath. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saniya is great story of the power of belief in yourself and staying the course. I truly could not be happier for her. This has been just an outstanding year for her. Starting, playing major minutes, becoming a leader on the team, the streak, the final four, getting drafted, graduating and making WNBA.

Wow.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Looks like UConn's Saniya Chong has made Dallas Wings

New Haven Register's Jim Fuller is reporting that it appears that Dallas will keep Saniya Chong on the roster:

"When her senior season began, it wasn't even certain if Saniya Chong would have a regular role at UConn but suddenly it is looking like she has made the opening day roster of the WNBA's Dallas Wings...

"The WNBA held its annual preseason conference call and with Dallas' Fred Williams one of the three coaches on the call, I asked him for his thoughts on Chong.

"'You come out of a structure, a DNA of a championship organization at UConn and when you have that kind of player, she understands winning,' Williams said. 'She understands her role as a point guard who can distribute the basketball and set up her team. She has demonstrated in practice and also in games that she played in preseason to show great leadership. I look to utilize her a great deal this season and rely on her great basketball IQ.'"

I love this. I *uc*ing love it!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
LOL! "She got more minutes when the other point guard went into the pros."

The "other point guard" just happened to be 2-time All-American, 2-time Lieberman Award winner, Dawn Staley Award winner, Defensive Player of the Year, #2 draft pick, and WNBA rookie sensation Moriah Jefferson. That was no ordinary point guard playing ahead of Saniya!

Yeah, that "other point guard"!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Obviously, you don't read every post. During the season, I indicated that I was one of those who felt that Danger would ultimately beat out Saniya as the starting pg, and that I was delighted to admit that I was wrong. A number of other BY'ers expressed similar views.

Count me in on that too. Go back and look. Loved her, couldn't see it happening as a Senior, and then low and behold. And perhaps the best part of this story for a young athlete, and as an example for others, she always owned "the problem" as her own and in overcoming it she is a true inspiration for fans and young players alike.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've loved Saniya since she was a freshman- look at my posts. She's the reason I started posting here.

I always thought she would make the WNBA...

again- look at my posts.

I'm with you 100% Striper.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So don't be too hard on the "nay-sayers" that didn't have the vision you did. Being able to accurately see that far ahead is a "gift" not every one has. Most of us rely on the EYE TEST. This is usually the best form of evaluation we have at our disposal, and is usually fool-proof.

But -- but -- I thought Carnac was able to see accurately that far ahead? :p

Reaction Score
I think Saniya could be a better professional than she was a college player. She could rediscover her reckless abandon on the court, her wild scoring skills, and take to the pro game in a big way.

Charde Houston just never got the hang of Geno's system, but became an impact player in the WNBA. I'm looking for Saniya to really blossom at Dallas.

Big things in store!!!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's great to see Chong make the WNBA, although clearly she was going to play somewhere professionally. She earned her spot at the highest level of competition. Good luck to her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
But -- but -- I thought Carnac was able to see accurately that far ahead? :p

Lately, not so much. A day or two, maybe a week, but never 3 years ahead. If I could, I'd be writing this from a palatial château estate nestled on a hill in France = Lotto winner. :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I also recall some Chong defenders (don't remember if it was you) who thought that Geno was being unfair to her by not giving her more minutes in her first three years, and by publicly calling out her defense in the loss to Stanford as the reason why he pulled her from the starting lineup.

I'm not sure that she would be in the WNBA now if Geno had taken the advice of those posters and "gone easier" on her in her first three years.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I also recall some Chong defenders (don't remember if it was you) who thought that Geno was being unfair to her by not giving her more minutes in her first three years, and by publicly calling out her defense in the loss to Stanford as the reason why he pulled her from the starting lineup.

I'm not sure that she would be in the WNBA now if Geno had taken the advice of those posters and "gone easier" on her in her first three years.

JoePgh, with respect to your comment = Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!! You nailed it!!! I could not agree with you more. Saniya's success to this point is definitely a by-product of Geno's "tough love". The man knows what he's doing. Different players have different buttons that when pushed, get the desired results. He knew where she needed to be, and refused to compromise. It's a coach's duty and responsibility to find those respective buttons for each player on his/her squad. I think we can all agree that Chong was nowhere near the complete and polished player as a freshman that she was as a senior. She acknowledged her coaches criticisms, then went about correcting those deficiencies.

She worked on correcting them to the point that Geno and the other coaches were satisfied they could put her on the court, and trust her to performed as expected. Another feather in Saniya's cap (that speaks to her character) is that by sticking it out, she has proven to everyone (coaches/GM's and other potential future employers) that she is not a quitter. She made a commitment to the program, and saw it through to completion. I am amazed at the growing number of players today that are transferring at an alarming rate, she didn't. She stuck it out.

She experienced some of the same challenges that other players defined as their reason for leaving a program. Sticking it out, and staying the course was not easy. I remember her once saying: "sometimes, things just don't go my way". Not quitting and sticking it out is a positive mind set that will serve her well the rest of her life.

The BIGGEST and most important play that I think Chong made since her arrival on campus, was made earlier this week, when she walked across the stage with the rest of her classmates to receive her diploma.
Of all the pictures of Saniya that I've seen since the day she first set foot on campus, the one below is my favorite. The reason why should be obvious. :)

upload_2017-5-12_11-12-4.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom