Conference Re-alignment Bombshell | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Conference Re-alignment Bombshell

Reaction Score
I agree with you about that Indiana/Ohio territory. The ACC is totally unfamiliar. It's basically heart of the Big Ten territory. It would be like the Big Ten adding ECU. Sort of futile to get any traction.

UConn is the only G5 on the east that flips a state. There are some in the Mountain West, but they are not on any ACC radar. The more I've been thinking about this the past 3 days I like the UConn-USF combination. The ACC would want UConn and BC to build some excitement in the New England region along with Syracuse. USF solves the travel complaints of the southern members in Florida. Miami and FSU already know USF and play them. The rest of the league including ND want to be playing more games in Florida. I'd put UConn in the Coastal Division and put USF in the Atlantic Division as a step toward the more regional PODS. The ACC gets to 16 for more reasonable scheduling. We leave ND alone in the arrangement for a long time. The AAC would backfill with UMass-Amherst and FIU in Miami.

The next question would be for ESPN to ask how much that is worth.

What USF also addresses is the academics question. The ACC got a lot of stick for the Louisville ascension and might get further criticism should they start looking at WVU. Cincinnati may get the ACCN into Ohio but I doubt they would "flip" a state. If that's the criterion then they're out.

UConn, VT, UVa, UNC, Duke, Pitt, Miami, Tech

USF, FSU, Clemson, NC State, Wake, Ville, Syracuse, BC

The big issue here is they may have to drop the permanent crossover as long that they stick to 8 games. Otherwise, teams will never see teams from the other division. That means FSU-Miami and UNC-NC State aren't played every year or they're played as non-conference games, which wouldn't look good long-term.

Btw, I now think the Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC are in a race to see who lands the twin combo of Texsa and Mobilhoma. Those are the only ones who can increase the bottom line while keeping with the academic standards of the conferences. Maybe a combo of Kansas and Mobilhoma can work but every one of those other conferences wants UT.

Reaction Score
What USF also addresses is the academics question. The ACC got a lot of stick for the Louisville ascension and might get further criticism should they start looking at WVU. Cincinnati may get the ACCN into Ohio but I doubt they would "flip" a state. If that's the criterion then they're out.

UConn, VT, UVa, UNC, Duke, Pitt, Miami, Tech

USF, FSU, Clemson, NC State, Wake, Ville, Syracuse, BC

The big issue here is they may have to drop the permanent crossover as long that they stick to 8 games. Otherwise, teams will never see teams from the other division. That means FSU-Miami and UNC-NC State aren't played every year or they're played as non-conference games, which wouldn't look good long-term.

Btw, I now think the Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC are in a race to see who lands the twin combo of Texsa and Mobilhoma. Those are the only ones who can increase the bottom line while keeping with the academic standards of the conferences. Maybe a combo of Kansas and Mobilhoma can work but every one of those other conferences wants UT.
Those divisions would be how it would start out since they exist and are used for baseball and soccer as well as football. For football, they would evolve to some sort of rotating PODS discussed earlier. With a third Florida team, Disney would start pushing for more ACC events at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in the Orlando area. That would be ok.

The Big XII will stay around as long as Texas wants it to. The longer it drags out will in the end land Texas in the SEC with Texas A&M, and they'll bring Oklahoma with them. ESPN will do some sort of merger of the LHN with the SEC Network.

Reaction Score
Billy, Louisville has basketball. Tobacco Road doesn't feel overrided.

Tobacco Road got basketball, but they didn't get a market they recruit students from or the prestige of a good, flagship university. They absolutely did feel overrided by all contemporaneous reports.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not air travel as such....UConn could as well be San Francisco or Arizona with air.

It is "distance" and relevance.

Why should an FSU or Clemson desire UConn to be added to the ACC? FSU is a program who's fans are primarily in Florida, with the largest outside the state representation in Atlanta and North Carolina. We have as much to do with Connecticut as UConn has with Los Angeles. And LA is just a hop on a non stop airline from NY.

We already hear rumors that Boston College will eventually join the ACC, One of their fans in Tallahassee would be a sighting about as rare as seeing a carrier pigeon.

Would UConn fans buy rickets and come to Doak Campbell stadium in Tallahassee?

I do not think so..airplanes or not. The USF-FSU games of late have been a great fan rivalry, and they bring 'em as do we.

It is my cornball belief that conferences should be as regional as possible...that the AAC and CUSA will never feel "right" because they are what they are...a conglomeration of programs that have little relevance to each other.

If the ACC goes further northeast, it almost certainly would have to go North-South in Divisions to get some votes.
Just curious under this analysis, does the ACC "feel right" to you. It has long lost it regional, (and basketball and academic) identity.

Reaction Score
Tobacco Road got basketball, but they didn't get a market they recruit students from or the prestige of a good, flagship university. They absolutely did feel overrided by all contemporaneous reports.
Tobacco Road wanted UConn all things considered. It fit the profile of what was to them an ACC school. FSU/Clemson agreed that it fit the profile of an ACC school being football-lite, which was why they wanted Louisville.

Also, I'd be shocked if there was a move that didn't involve Notre Dame first. UConn still makes sense, but no second choice does particularly with ND still being out there.

Reaction Score
Just curious under this analysis, does the ACC "feel right" to you. It has long lost it regional, (and basketball and academic) identity.
For many old-timers, the league lost its soul when FSU joined. Everything else has just been doubling down. Not a criticism of FSU, but the regionalism of conferences died long ago, and indeed each generation accepts what is presented to them as the ideal. My dad still can't stand to see South Carolina in the SEC while I never knew anything else.

Reaction Score
A Florida State fan, a Virginia fan and a Notre Dame fan walk into a UConn Conference realignment bar, bartender says...

"Sorry guys, I know what you've heard. This is the place for championship women if you have a small TV package."

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
It is my cornball belief that conferences should be as regional as possible...that the AAC and CUSA will never feel "right" because they are what they are...a conglomeration of programs that have little relevance to each other.

If the ACC goes further northeast, it almost certainly would have to go North-South in Divisions to get some votes.

Ok I have been reading your ACC homer comments for years now and trying to laugh them off but this one is just plain ridiculous.

So let me get this straight, Mr. "I love everything about the ACC" now wants to cry about the loss of regional conferences. The ACC...the same ACC who repeatedly laid siege to the Big East and effectively plundered NE athletics is now the victim in all this? You know why there is not a"regional conference" in the NE?...because the ACC raided it.

Dude, FSU wasn't crying this year when they cashed their fat ACC check. The ACC started conference realignment and built its empire on acquiring properties out of its core area. If FSU fans aren't happy about their conference neighbors then FSU should not have bought the properties in that neighborhood.

The problem with ACC fans is they want all the benefits of conference realignment (money and access) but do not want to hear they may not get to play their regional rivals every other game....At the end of the day the ACC broke it so they own it. You can't have it both ways.

Reaction Score
So I'm down here at the NCAA tourney in Orlando watching the first round and I start talking to a prominent Virginia booster. Apparently the ACC is considering poaching 2-3 AAC teams by 2018. Uconn being one of them. Trying to start the trend to the super power conferences.

Seemed credible but take it fwiw.

From today (assuming one and the same)?

J‏ @UCONNfan14 53m 53 minutes ago
@TimBrando So I'm down here at the NCAA tourney in Orlando watching the 1st rd. I start talking to a prominent Virginia booster.

J‏ @UCONNfan14 49m 49 minutes ago
@TimBrando Apparently the ACC is considering poaching 2-3 AAC teams by 2018. Uconn as one of them. Trying 2 start trend 2 the super pwr conf

@TimBrando not sure if those are true can you confirm?

Reaction Score
From today (assuming one and the same)?

J‏ @UCONNfan14 53m 53 minutes ago
@TimBrando So I'm down here at the NCAA tourney in Orlando watching the 1st rd. I start talking to a prominent Virginia booster.

@TimBrando Apparently the ACC is considering poaching 2-3 AAC teams by 2018. Uconn as one of them. Trying 2 start trend 2 the super pwr conf

@TimBrando not sure if those are true can you confirm?

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same realignment jaggoff that had his head up the dude's arse constantly begging him for realignment info. He then graduated to running idiotic scenarios by him (the Dude) for analysis and comment. After a few months, he started putting himself out there as a guru.

Total BS, from a troll.

Reaction Score
Ok I have been reading your ACC homer comments for years now and trying to laugh them off but this one is just plain ridiculous.

So let me get this straight, Mr. "I love everything about the ACC" now wants to cry about the loss of regional conferences. The ACC...the same ACC who repeatedly laid siege to the Big East and effectively plundered NE athletics is now the victim in all this? You know why there is not a"regional conference" in the NE?...because the ACC raided it.

Dude, FSU wasn't crying this year when they cashed their fat ACC check. The ACC started conference realignment and built its empire on acquiring properties out of its core area. If FSU fans aren't happy about their conference neighbors then FSU should not have bought the properties in that neighborhood.

The problem with ACC fans is they want all the benefits of conference realignment (money and access) but do not want to hear they may not get to play their regional rivals every other game....At the end of the day the ACC broke it so they own it. You can't have it both ways.

The ACC didn't start this. I mean College realignment musical chairs have been going on forever, but the modern-day version usually begins in the mid-80s with the Supreme Court allowing conferences to sell their rights. The SEC promptly killed off the Southwest and moving to 12-teams and then the B10, ACC, and BE moved to grab up independents. And we've basically been in perpetual motion ever since as the pieces have fallen into place.

Reaction Score
The ACC didn't start this. I mean College realignment musical chairs have been going on forever, but the modern-day version usually begins in the mid-80s with the Supreme Court allowing conferences to sell their rights. The SEC promptly killed off the Southwest and moving to 12-teams and then the B10, ACC, and BE moved to grab up independents. And we've basically been in perpetual motion ever since as the pieces have fallen into place.

Your post makes some good points and do not disagree that the ACC did not "start" conference realignment. I also agree the Oklahoma Supreme Court decision in the 80s paved the way for the modern sports money grab. However, to claim the ACC was only doing the same thing as all the other P5 conferences vastly understates the ACC's role in conference realignment.

In this millennium the PAC has added:
1. Colorado -Big12
2. Utah - non-BCS

The BIG added:
1. Nebraska - Big12
2. Maryland - ACC
3. Rutgers -Big East

The SEC added:
1. Texas A & M - Big12
2. Missouri -Big12

The Big12 added:
1. TCU - non-BCS
2. WVU - Big East

The ACC has added:
1. Miami - Big East
2. BC - Big East
3. Va Tech - Big East
4. Syracuse - Big East
5. Pittsburgh - Big East
6. Louisville - Big East

Looking at the above list, the ACC added 2 to 3 times the number of programs as the other P5 conferences. In addition, the ACC added 6 teams from one conference (Big East). No other P5 conference added more than 2 team from a single competitor's conference and no other conference ceased to exist after they were raided. Finally, the ACC raids into the Big East occurred on 3 separate occasions. This wasn't a conference merger situation but instead a series of calculated raids intended to destroy the BE and insure the ACC assumed its position.

Personally I think the idea the ACC is considering adding AAC programs to be unlikely. However, the only thing that gives me pause is the ACC's prior predatory behavior. IMO if the ACC views the AAC as a potential threat then it would follow their prior pattern of behavior to launch a raid into the AAC.

To argue the ACC was just following the trend would be like saying wars have been fought forever. Only wars between the conferences were previously fought with bayonets and looked to injure not kill. The ACC was the first to bring a machine gun to the conference realignment battlefield with the intent to exterminate.

Reaction Score
There would only be one survivor between the Big East and ACC....This was foreseen. With the SEC in the South and the Big Ten in the midwest...two leagues sharing the east would eventually end with one being absorbed.

Tranghese even met with the ACC to move off the football schools to the ACC and let the BE remain a basketball league...it was a strategy that was actually borrowed by Swofford.

I have never been an ACC guy...for much of my life as a fan, FSU was an independent, And us old school guys haven't warmed up to Tobacco Road any more than their old schools guys have warmed to us. But, they are a lot more regional than Syracuse or Boston College.

Reaction Score
OK Fishy...just ban me.

I have been civil in discussions....

Just because, to me, UConn makes little sense as a conference addition and I discuss why. I absorb a lot of vitriol from emotionally charged posters (and mod, I presume).

Sooo...do what you need to do. If that constitutes a violation of board rules...ban me.

Reaction Score
OK Fishy...just ban me.

Just because, to me, UConn makes little sense as a conference addition and I discuss why. I absorb a lot of vitriol from emotionally charged posters (and mod, I presume).

Sooo...do what you need to do. If that constitutes a violation of board rules...ban me.
Civil conversation? You don't even bother to ask when advised. Troll on...

Reaction Score
OK Fishy...just ban me.

But... How will you survive? It's a cruel world out there. We can change. Honest.

Reaction Score
Your post makes some good points and do not disagree that the ACC did not "start" conference realignment. I also agree the Oklahoma Supreme Court decision in the 80s paved the way for the modern sports money grab. However, to claim the ACC was only doing the same thing as all the other P5 conferences vastly understates the ACC's role in conference realignment.

In this millennium the PAC has added:
1. Colorado -Big12
2. Utah - non-BCS

The BIG added:
1. Nebraska - Big12
2. Maryland - ACC
3. Rutgers -Big East

The SEC added:
1. Texas A & M - Big12
2. Missouri -Big12

The Big12 added:
1. TCU - non-BCS
2. WVU - Big East

The ACC has added:
1. Miami - Big East
2. BC - Big East
3. Va Tech - Big East
4. Syracuse - Big East
5. Pittsburgh - Big East
6. Louisville - Big East

Looking at the above list, the ACC added 2 to 3 times the number of programs as the other P5 conferences. In addition, the ACC added 6 teams from one conference (Big East). No other P5 conference added more than 2 team from a single competitor's conference and no other conference ceased to exist after they were raided. Finally, the ACC raids into the Big East occurred on 3 separate occasions. This wasn't a conference merger situation but instead a series of calculated raids intended to destroy the BE and insure the ACC assumed its position.

Personally I think the idea the ACC is considering adding AAC programs to be unlikely. However, the only thing that gives me pause is the ACC's prior predatory behavior. IMO if the ACC views the AAC as a potential threat then it would follow their prior pattern of behavior to launch a raid into the AAC.

To argue the ACC was just following the trend would be like saying wars have been fought forever. Only wars between the conferences were previously fought with bayonets and looked to injure not kill. The ACC was the first to bring a machine gun to the conference realignment battlefield with the intent to exterminate.
Starting this millennium is problematic because so many moves happened in the 90s. 5 Southwest teams were devoured by power conferences. Obviously the BE saw rapid expansion in the 90s trying to keep up as Penn State and FSU and South Carolina were gobbled up. The BE just couldn't swalllow what they ate for a variety of reasons. The ACC wasn't innocent or anything, but they didn't start the game of musical chairs in 2004.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OK Fishy...just ban me.

… And so we moved to the martyr stage of the troll handbook…

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
This is officially the saddest and most pathetic thread I've ever read in these forums. By.... a zillion.

This thread would be perfect for the WVU Scout realignment board circa 2010 or so--that's how sad it is.

The OP does seem to have a legit (if occasional) posting history of UConn fandom, though some realignment trolls play the long game.

Reaction Score
You guys haven't figured that Fishy needs college money for his daughter. The lull has caused Fishy to start the rumor mill, and get more clicks.

By the way Fishy owns a car wash.

CR is dead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom