Conference Re-alignment Bombshell | The Boneyard

Conference Re-alignment Bombshell

Reaction Score
So I'm down here at the NCAA tourney in Orlando watching the first round and I start talking to a prominent Virginia booster. Apparently the ACC is considering poaching 2-3 AAC teams by 2018. Uconn being one of them. Trying to start the trend to the super power conferences.

Seemed credible but take it fwiw.

Reaction Score
not_this_shit_again.jpg

Reaction Score
Interesting. We are have been SO all in improving our profile (emphasis on becoming a top-tier public research university, convincing AD David Benedict to come here, all the heavy hitters working in with AD David Benedict, doing everything we can to improve football, convincing Lashlee this would be a good place to land for a parallel??? move, investing in new athletic facilities, etc.) that I've been convinced something has been in the works. Not convinced its going to happen just yet, but I am forever hopeful.

Reaction Score
I'll play this game because I'm a glutton for punishment. If geographic reasons are primary, UConn, Temple, and maybe Cincy make sense.

Reaction Score
It would solidify the ACC Network in New York and New England. It would be a blow to the BTN as there would be no northeast representative (no one cares about RU outside of NJ), and would establish the ACC as the dominant conference in the east, if not the nation. They are close to being #1 now, and these additions would clinch it for the ACC. That being said, it is an unlikely scenario given that conference's history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The dood has been on a twitter rant about bike parts.

Can't be true if he isn't on the story.

Remember The Dood is a legit reporter. He run's every piece of information through 3 independent sources. I heard he just got a call back from the third and final one and he's rushing home to set The Conference Realignment World on fire once again. Godspeed Dood.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
So I'm down here at the NCAA tourney in Orlando watching the first round and I start talking to a prominent Virginia booster. Apparently the ACC is considering poaching 2-3 AAC teams by 2018. Uconn being one of them. Trying to start the trend to the super power conferences.

Seemed credible but take it fwiw.
I am not giving you a like for this ACC crap I just felt sorry for you being on here for 6 yrs and only had 3 likes:p

Reaction Score
The number 18 is unwieldy for a football schedule....if you have divisions...and a CCG

Essentially, two round robin divisions (almost like separate conferences) with teams that hardly ever meet outside of a championship game.

If the NCAA had allowed the ACC request to deregulate how the conference determines a champion, pods would work, But the Big 10 led the charge to squash that attempted deregulation and I don't see it reopening.

I could see 16 as workable for scheduling...essentially adding a ninth conference game to the current eight total.

Reaction Score
It would solidify the ACC Network in New York and New England. It would be a blow to the BTN as there would be no northeast representative (no one cares about RU outside of NJ), and would establish the ACC as the dominant conference in the east, if not the nation. They are close to being #1 now, and these additions would clinch it for the ACC. That being said, it is an unlikely scenario given that conference's history.
Solidify the northeast? One school does that, not three. If you want to rock the BTN, invite UConn for all sports and Georgetown/Nova for hoops. Cincy and Temple offer nothing.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA had allowed the ACC request to deregulate how the conference determines a champion, pods would work, But the Big 10 led the charge to squash that attempted deregulation and I don't see it reopening.

Essentially saying "we're not sure what we want to do, we just want the right to work the system to our advantage" wasn't going to play well in Peoria. And since Peoria is not far from Chicago, likewise with Delany.

After watching the Big 12's big fail, you should thank Delany for not letting the ACC trip over its own feet. Sometimes "good ideas" don't work out as planned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Essentially saying "we're not sure what we want to do, we just want the right to work the system to our advantage" wasn't going to play well in Peoria. And since Peoria is not far from Chicago, likewise with Delany.

After watching the Big 12's big fail, you should thank Delany for not letting the ACC trip over its own feet. Sometimes "good ideas" don't work out as planned.

That's what deregulation is...lets the conference decide how they want to decide the champ....no need to spell it out and tie your hands to one model...there are multiple ways to decide the champion.

The ACC may not have wanted to change methodology, but did want the ability to do so if circumstances warranted.

Reaction Score
The threat that Delaney saw would be a method to let Notre Dame play in a pod and play for the CCG as a pod winner...while still playing their national schedule.

Reaction Score
Can we start the Big East rumors and football independence? At least that scenario sticks it to ESPN. In all seriousness, I am at the acceptance stage. We had a great run in the best hoops conference ever (no not the current ACC). It is time to move on

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a thread on the Realignment board as much as this one. The ray of hope from the OP, the wildly sarcastic responses had me grinning and liking all of them. And then Whaler's cold hard dose of Reality. Feels like old times.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Can we start the Big East rumors and football independence? At least that scenario sticks it to ESPN. In all seriousness, I am at the acceptance stage. We had a great run in the best hoops conference ever (no not the current ACC). It is time to move on
Yeah me too. I'm over it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom