Conference championship game - Big 10 - Maryland vs Michigan State | The Boneyard

Conference championship game - Big 10 - Maryland vs Michigan State

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maryland vs Michigan State, 7:00, ESPN

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This could be a real good one. MSU is on a hot streak. Maryland is consistant.

Who ever can actually play defense should win. I like the underdog - MSU.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Michigan is on a hot streak but I like Maryland. I have seen the Spartans choke at times this season and Maryland seems to always find a way to win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope it's a good game. One thing that has impressed me about MSU is that everyone knows they have to stop Powers, yet against OSU, she scored 31 points, but more than that it was on 12-19 shooting. I didn't see the game and can't be sure if any, or some, of her shots were of the circus variety, but if the rest of the team was able to get her open for good shots, that speaks to good ball movement and good offense. Then again, it could have just been Powers creating her own shots. I will know more after I watch their game today! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Michigan State is hot. I've disrespected Maryland (15 miles from my home) for years, but I think they have turned the corner. Walker-Kimbrough and Jones shoot the ball better than anyone in the country, Moseley is good, and they have other shooters. Plus they have learned some defense. As I said in another thread, I think they are the 4th or 5th best team in the nation.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It seems like every year we have these same discussions about Maryland but yet they make it to the final four. Not a fan of the turtles but they find a way

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to this game. Big 1G country here. I like Maryland in this one. But the Spartans, like everyone stated, is playing some great basketball right now and could make it interesting. But I got Maryland.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The matchup I'd most like to see in the Elite 8 is Maryland-Notre Dame. Doesn't look like the seeds will shake out that way, but I'm still hoping.

Reaction Score
Neither team can score, but MSU playing like they want to win. MSU 6-5 half way through the 1st

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
MSU up 30-27 despite 0 points from Powers. I'm shocked.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
MD doesn't seem like they have the energy they did when they played us.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Terps up 13 in the 4th. I think they are the #4 or 5 team in the country, not #8.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Terps up 13 in the 4th. I think they are the #4 or 5 team in the country, not #8.

#5 at best. I don't think they can be considered more impressive than Baylor. And the committee currently has them at #7, not #8.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
#5 at best. I don't think they can be considered more impressive than Baylor. And the committee currently has them at #7, not #8.
I put them behind UConn, ND, Baylor, and maybe SC. I'd put them ahead of Texas and everyone from the Pac-12. Their schedule has not been that strong, but they haven't had any hiccups. They got outscored by OSU 2 times (both single digits) and were within 4 of UConn in the last minute. Plus they have the best shooter and 3-point shooter in the country.

I missed the update that the committee has them at #7. Thanks.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I put them behind UConn, ND, Baylor, and maybe SC. I'd put them ahead of Texas and everyone from the Pac-12. Their schedule has not been that strong, but they haven't had any hiccups. They got outscored by OSU 2 times (both single digits) and were within 4 of UConn in the last minute. Plus they have the best shooter and 3-point shooter in the country.

I missed the update that the committee has them at #7. Thanks.

If you think that Ohio State isn't as good as Maryland, then losing twice to Ohio State would be two hiccups. (South Carolina beat Ohio State, by the way.) Maryland has been impressive winning by wide margins over inferior competition. I also think they "seem" higher than #7, but I also get that the committee doesn't usually give a team the benefit of the doubt for coasting over a softer schedule.

Reaction Score
It wasn't pretty on the offensive side. But gotta love the defensive angle of this game. Wow. Maryland cranked the defense up!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you think that Ohio State isn't as good as Maryland, then losing twice to Ohio State would be two hiccups. (South Carolina beat Ohio State, by the way.) Maryland has been impressive winning by wide margins over inferior competition. I also think they "seem" higher than #7, but I also get that the committee doesn't usually give a team the benefit of the doubt for coasting over a softer schedule.
OSU has more vulnerabilities than Maryland, I think. Plus, their overall record is worse. Maryland's losses were not bad losses (hiccups). The Terps were unable to slow OSU down or score at the same pace. They lost to 3 top 10 teams by 8, 9, and 10.

Texas lost to Oklahoma by 18 and Baylor by 13 and 26.

Louisville lost 6 games, including to Western Kentucky, by 18 to Kentucky, ND and by 13 to Dayton.

Oregon State lost to UCLA by 20 and to Stanford by 22. They also lost to Tennessee.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It wasn't pretty on the offensive side. But gotta love the defensive angle of this game. Wow. Maryland cranked the defense up!!
Maryland plays better defense than they did a few years ago.

Plebe

Reaction Score
OSU has more vulnerabilities than Maryland, I think. Plus, their overall record is worse. Maryland's losses were not bad losses (hiccups). The Terps were unable to slow OSU down or score at the same pace. They lost to 3 top 10 teams by 8, 9, and 10.

Texas lost to Oklahoma by 18 and Baylor by 13 and 26.

Louisville lost 6 games, including to Western Kentucky, by 18 to Kentucky, ND and by 13 to Dayton.

Oregon State lost to UCLA by 20 and to Stanford by 22. They also lost to Tennessee.

But again, we're not comparing apples to apples. Oregon State's losses to UCLA and Stanford were true road games, as were 2 of Texas's losses. Maryland's toughest true road games, other than the OSU loss, were against Rutgers and Iowa. You'd also need to factor in the injuries to Weisner and Wiese, which were a factor in 3 of Oregon State's losses.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But again, we're not comparing apples to apples. Oregon State's losses to UCLA and Stanford were true road games, as were 2 of Texas's losses. Maryland's toughest true road games, other than the OSU loss, were against Rutgers and Iowa. You'd also need to factor in the injuries to Weisner and Wiese, which were a factor in 3 of Oregon State's losses.
It's hard if not impossible to compare apples to apples. I'm not a Maryland fan, but they have been competitive every game, except possibly at Columbus. They also played us tougher than anyone except Stanford in the past 3 seasons. If you use UConn as a measuring stick, Maryland is closer to 2 than to 7.

Maryland may not have that many strong wins, but they have only 3 losses, all by fairly small margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom