Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is a very strong chance UConn will get a P5 or P4 invite. It might even come this decade. FB just has to rebound to top 30 status and Mens BB has to return to Final 4 greatness. I think both can happen. UConn might even be able to get AAU membership once the research volume increases significantly.
My god you're delusional.

Reaction Score
I have not seen comment here on the Courant story this morning by Alexa Philippou that seems to be a day behind but is it? Does the Courant know something that we do not? I thought DB put out a statement that tamped this thing down pretty definitely. But now it seems to have flared up again. Have I missed a memo?

Yeah, I have an uneasy feeling about the role of CBS in this with the TV contract up in 2023. They may well feel that with the shabby state of the program that they are not getting value for their money.

Reaction Score
I have not seen comment here on the Courant story this morning by Alexa Philippou that seems to be a day behind but is it? Does the Courant know something that we do not? I thought DB put out a statement that tamped this thing down pretty definitely. But now it seems to have flared up again. Have I missed a memo?

Yeah, I have an uneasy feeling about the role of CBS in this with the TV contract up in 2023. They may well feel that with the shabby state of the program that they are not getting value for their money.
This story (check by-line) or another story?

Reaction Score

I think CBS is fine. Right now they're not paying more than 100k a game for 6 home games. Purdue, Houston, Cuse, BC, Duke, NC State through 2023. I think they're getting good value.

Reaction Score
Is there a limit as to how many football-only programs a conference can have?

Nope.

But they do for the most part need to have eight full members that play football, men’s and women’s basketball, two other women’s team sports, and a total of six men’s and eight women’s sports overall, in league.

Reaction Score
Nope.

But they do for the most part need to have eight full members that play football, men’s and women’s basketball, two other women’s team sports, and a total of six men’s and eight women’s sports overall, in league.
It might make sense for the MAC to consider adding WKU and MTSU all in, and UCONN and UMass football only. Go to 16, get Northeast exposure, and get in the news a little bit, add a little zip.

Reaction Score
We left the AAC to be in the Big East. Curious, when we left the AAC and the AAC wouldn't let UCONN stay as a football only member, what conferences at that time would we have considered joining for football only? Anyone?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
After ploughing through 14 pages of what amounts to 80% hot air in this thread I can only draw 2 conclusions:

-Tempest in a teapot
-There is and will continue to be very little that is meaningful to discuss related to UConn football until a new Head Coach is named.

Reaction Score
I think a regional conference for football at this point would be fine. There are enough schools in the region that could make it work including bumping a few from FCS to FBS.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
It appears that you may not realize that you are reinforcing his point.

I remember being at a men's hoops game at the civic center (I believe early January 1985) when we had just gotten our backsides handed to us at Georgetown (lost by ~ 45 points), listening to other fans tell me that Perno wasn't the problem, that no coach could win here against schools like Georgetown, St John's, Syracuse, Nova, BC, how we needed to accept that playing at level similar to the Yankee conference, with the other New England schools was where we belonged and that we were lucky to have someone who was as important to the school's history as Perno coaching the team.

Those people thought I was wrong when I said that the right coach could have us competing with the better schools in the conference and accomplishing close to what they could accomplish. The truth is I was wrong. After bringing in the right coach we were able to accomplish far more than the better schools in the conference could dream of.

I don't know if the right coach in football can have us doing what Fickell (after a succession of good hires) has Cincinnati doing but I am very confident that we can find a coach who can take us further than RE v1.0 took us.
We’ve Been irrelevant for the last 10 years with at least 3 to go, that should really bring the fans back

Reaction Score
Would some of this be related to coaching search feedback that not being in a conference is a real drawback to some candidates? I do not think Conf USA is the answer though if that is the case.

Reaction Score
Taking ND out of the equation- I only count 3 Indy teams left after all the changes....
Not sure how that works in the long run

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
I'm with you. Hopefully this wakes up the MAC and they offer us and UMASS football only invitations. I've been saying for a while that would be a fun northeastern league for us as we bide our time waiting for a P5 invite.
Do not see a P5 invite coming anytime soon, if ever. But would not mind being proven wrong.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Why do I get the feeling there’s a mole from BC who has been destroying UConn FB from the inside for the last 10 years?
Because it is better than the alternative, which is that the UConn AD is as pathetic as it would need to be produce these results with their funding. We have to be up there with a Texas for the most disappointing funds-to-return ratio.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Taking ND out of the equation- I only count 3 Indy teams left after all the changes....
Not sure how that works in the long run
It's a fair question...fewer Indies will make it tougher. I think UConn's goal should be to build a respectable football program over the next few years and hope they are appealing as a football only member for a conference better than conference USA.

Obviously...all sports in a P5 is the most desirable...but football only in maybe the AAC could work. (I know the AAC turned us down on this approach...but things have and will change. )

That being said...I really do like the indie schedule.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
SECSame. But I feel like Dave has to be political here. Needs to keep every bridge open in case other dominos fall i.e. the Pac 12 poaches the Big 12, the B1G decides to expands or SEC raids the ACC.
My wish would be for SEC to raid ACC. Also if ND servers all ties with ACC. Then just maybe they might give Uconn a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom