Complete Frustration | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Complete Frustration

Reaction Score
I've been hitting the whiskey since the spring game! I've been steadily lowering the amount of aged years and steadily increasing the volume as the season went on...

Aged? I’ve moved on to grain. Faster, stronger - possibly a dietary supplement for the team?

Reaction Score
If I'm a recruit and I have an offer from UConn and Temple....I'm not going to UConn. Heck, I'd probably choose MAC schools over this disaster. What kid really thinks they'll be successful in this dumpster fire??

Have to wonder about the two Texas kids. If they still want to come up north to play after this lousy season, then you almost have to question their sanity.

Reaction Score
Lots of Records set....record number of brown paper bag in the stands too?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The feeling I get is that the players at least some gave up. I also believe that some of the coaching staff gave up on the players and team.
Things have to change and I am hoping for next season as I do every season. I can't be the negative nanny some are, I just can't. It is a miserable way to look at things, even after this crap show of a season

Reaction Score
Well, you'd think that logically this defense can't possibly be any worse than it was this year. The players will be a year older and will have hopefully hit the weight room almost daily in the off-season to get stronger & quicker. Maybe even get some JUCOs or other upperclassmen transfers to put some experience on that side of the ball.

Then again, we always seem to defy logic when it comes to being bad. There is no bottom.

However long UConn Football lasts, they'll always be known for this season. It's a stigma they'll have to carry. All they can do is use it as motivation to get better and never let a 2018 happen again. This year was completely unacceptable. For the program and for the fans.

Reaction Score
Yup, the long nightmare.............at least for this season, is now over. NOW WHAT?
Fire Edsall? Really? That just throws everything back to square 1, and more disappointment.
Another DC, and OC? Probably the least objectionable option.
Drop football altogehter? Been down this road so many times that road needs repaving.
Leave AAC? And go where, back to the Yankee Conference?
Drop out of the "Big boys" division of NCAA football? If things continue as they are, there's gong to be a call for that. It's pretty embarrasing that your club is DEAD LAST of 130 or so programs, with little or no chance of improving.
Accept the fact, hard as it may be, that the football program is never................NEVER going to EVER approach the standards of power clubs, or conferences. Bama, ND, Ohio St., Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC, PAC 12,etc. They may never ever again approach middle of the road status. They'll be the whippng boy of the AAC. There are just way too many obstacles facing the program. Recruitment, facilities, interest, administration, to name a few. Edsall is already out on recruiting trips. Think on this, what 17 or 18 year old wants to come to Storrs, and play in a moribund conference, where you get your ass kicked by the likes of Temple, UCF, Tulsa, USF, Tulane?
Edsall's job is probably safe...........................for now. This time next year, and with similar results? Maybe not.
I never heard Edsall repeat the words, Jim Calhoun said, when he was named head coach of the basketball team in the late 1980's, that the job of turning around the ball club was "DOABLE"
It's going to take a miracle to turn it around, and right now, "miracles" are in short supply.

Reaction Score
There are schools that have been in P5 conferences for decades that will never approach the consistent level of the Bamas, LSUs, NDs, Ohio St, and Clemsons of the world. But at least they're financially safe because of the conference they're in.

I honestly don't know at this point if UConn Football can survive this - they're fighting too many forces. I hate to say it too because CT lost the Whalers 20 years ago and if another favorite team of mine at another sport bites the dust altogether, then I think I'm done with sports altogether.

Screw it. Just root for wealthy teams with secure financial situations. You'll be branded as a bandwagoner but really, who cares at all? Nobody gets a medal for being a good fan. And life will be easier. The system is sure set up that way. :(

C

Chief00

This isn’t rocket science. Get a good football coach and salesman and we are in the game. The conference certainly isn’t holding these other great teams back. Why is Randy still talking about the old Big East Conference while he should be embracing the stronger AAC? The answer is these guys beat his butt.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The most insane part about this is the idea that getting guys who will “respect the Block C” will all of a sudden make things better.

Newsflash to HCRE2.0: it’s 2018. The block C and Big East eras are done. You’re a sub .500 coach in your lifetime. Don’t be a pompous ass. Stop throwing kids under the bus and actually coach up the kids that are on your roster.

“We need to recruit kids”. That part I agree with. Because your recruiting class currently stands at 130/130 and the last kid to commit only had other offers from Morgan State and something called Seton Hill University. We blasted Diaco for his recruiting and yet that was actually better somehow than what we currently have.

Reaction Score
The "we need guys who love football", "respect the C" type jargin is just coach speak for we have bad players who don't like the fact our team is bad. Truth is there is no pressure on Edsall to actually revive this program because he and the admin knows its dead. Facing the ultimate uphill climb in a conference where each program is in a better position to succeed puts us at a disadvantage with recruiting not only players but a staff who doesn't want their career DOA. We lost conference alignment which put a nail in the coffin. That's it, there is no coming back from this and our disinterested HC and last place recruiting classes are not going to change that.

Reaction Score
Just look what Hurley has done without his guys. Looks like a completely different team. I know basketball to football is a bit apples to oranges, but still

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just look what Hurley has done without his guys. Looks like a completely different team. I know basketball to football is a bit apples to oranges, but still

There is no Dan Hurley coming in on a white horse. Comparing the appeal of the MBB job and the FB job to talented young coaches is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
I remember touring the facility with Sio back in PP's first year over the summer. We went through the weight room - all of the players were ranked on the wall. Sio said he would rather die than not be on the top of the list. He walked us over to his platform - said that guys that weren't man enough weren't allowed to work out on his platform. I don't have any connection to the current players, but Sio showed up to UCONN like that. RE didn't tell him to work. PP didn't tell him to work. That's the level of commitment you need to be successful at this level and get to the NFL. Some guys have it, and some guys don't. RE was able to find those sorts of guys before. Time will tell if he can find enough of them again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What gets me is the defense never got better as the season progressed. At best we had brief spurts in a couple games where we actually resembled a football team, but the whole season was hot garbage. Just one demolition after another. Plus the offense would fizzle out after 1 quarter.

Honestly - how much more as fans are we expected to endure? Can’t bear the thought that next year could look like this too, maybe worse with Pindell leaving.
Honestly I think the defense’s best game (outside of UMass in the slop) was UCF week 1. Or at least I feel like it wasn’t that bad because of the opponent. We made everyone from ECU to Boise St to URI look like National Champs.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The "we need guys who love football", "respect the C" type jargin is just coach speak for we have bad players who don't like the fact our team is bad. Truth is there is no pressure on Edsall to actually revive this program because he and the admin knows its dead. Facing the ultimate uphill climb in a conference where each program is in a better position to succeed puts us at a disadvantage with recruiting not only players but a staff who doesn't want their career DOA. We lost conference alignment which put a nail in the coffin. That's it, there is no coming back from this and our disinterested HC and last place recruiting classes are not going to change that.

Why is Temple in any better position to succeed than we are? They're basically in the same recruiting market.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The totaly
What gets me is the defense never got better as the season progressed. At best we had brief spurts in a couple games where we actually resembled a football team, but the whole season was hot garbage.
This is the #1 concern. The defense after game 12 is exactly where it was after the UCF game. This does not bode well for 2019. The USF game looked like a step forward but it was fool's gold.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I'll say this. If Randy turns it around to the point where we are at the top of the division- I'll gladly eat my crow. But doing this whole thing so we can go 6-6 or 7-5 seems pretty pointless.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There are schools that have been in P5 conferences for decades that will never approach the consistent level of the Bamas, LSUs, NDs, Ohio St, and Clemsons of the world. But at least they're financially safe because of the conference they're in.

I honestly don't know at this point if UConn Football can survive this - they're fighting too many forces. I hate to say it too because CT lost the Whalers 20 years ago and if another favorite team of mine at another sport bites the dust altogether, then I think I'm done with sports altogether.

Screw it. Just root for wealthy teams with secure financial situations. You'll be branded as a bandwagoner but really, who cares at all? Nobody gets a medal for being a good fan. And life will be easier. The system is sure set up that way. :(

Right there with you. I swore off NHL hockey and didn't attend a hockey game at XL until UConn started playing there. If UConn drops football and cements their hoops to a mid-major conference, then I can drop college sports from my entertainment interest radar completely and without any ounce of regret. To be honest, it might be better for my health to not watch college sports than watch our defense make every team we play against look like the Patriots.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think the defense’s best game (outside of UMass in the slop) was UCF week 1. Or at least I feel like it wasn’t that bad because of the opponent. We made everyone from ECU to Boise St to URI look like National Champs.

Also played good for a while against USF - both offense & defense - but they can never maintain it (and that game was after our bye week too).

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The team he inherited was bad. He actively made it worse.
Some people actually believe that this is some kind of master plan of team building. It's not. It's a master plan of hack coaching. Run off a bunch of players and play the guys that want "to be here". Keep reminding everybody it's not your fault. Buy yourself time to bank some cash and keep your kid employed.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

The most insane part about this is the idea that getting guys who will “respect the Block C” will all of a sudden make things better.

Newsflash to HCRE2.0: it’s 2018. The block C and Big East eras are done. You’re a sub .500 coach in your lifetime. Don’t be a pompous ass. Stop throwing kids under the bus and actually coach up the kids that are on your roster.

“We need to recruit kids”. That part I agree with. Because your recruiting class currently stands at 130/130 and the last kid to commit only had other offers from Morgan State and something called Seton Hill University. We blasted Diaco for his recruiting and yet that was actually better somehow than what we currently have.

Agree, all this Benedict and Edsall rhetoric would be more believable if we were seeing recruiting classes ranked better than worse.

How does worse recruiting plus a one win returning team yield good results?

Reaction Score
One could argue RE might be the worst HC in FBS, but I think its a little far-fetched to allude he's not trying or doesn't care. Especially if he's trying to help make a name for his son.

Reaction Score
The USF game looked like a step forward but it was fool's gold.

In retrospect, USF has to be the worst "undefeated team" we played this season. They subsequently lost their next five games after beating UConn and only avg 20 pts/game. Some of the fans here were irrationally excited about how much improvement the team showed.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t believe that. Get it or don’t, Temple is kneeling. That was a total to those of us who stuck it out in the cold today.
It was the cherry on a molotov cocktail of ugliness that was the 2018 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom