committee top 16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

committee top 16

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think the brackets have been adjusted so that teams avoid conference foes. So Baylor and UCLA get swapped so UCLA does not get grouped with Arizona
I really hate that the basketball committee bumps up/down teams seed-wise to avoid "potential" intra-conference matchups 3-4 rounds deep into the tournament. Neither women's volleyball nor women's softball do this (and maybe not even women's soccer); they seed teams based on their established criteria, and just let the chips fall where the may, even if that means intra-conference matchups occur in Sweet 16 or Elite 8. I believe the only thing they strictly try to avoid are round of 64 and round of 32 intra-conference matchups.

Last edited:

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Compare this with the latest BY poll. The top 6 are identical and next 4 are the same except for order.

Reaction Score
Compare this with the latest BY poll. The top 6 are identical and next 4 are the same except for order.
They planned the reveal for tonight, knowing a new BY25 poll would be released earlier in the day. Saves them a lot of work.

The reason ESPN rescheduled the Oregon-Stanford game from 7:00 to 9:00 is they were expecting @Plebe to release the results a bit earlier in the day. When there was a delay, they decided to postpone the game to allow the committee adequate time to process the BY poll.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I doubt these seeds hold for the remainder of the season.
Well, that's pretty much a given . . . :cool:

Some of those teams have upcoming games against each other. Teams will win; teams will lose. Some teams will lose to teams outside the Top 16. Some teams have no upcoming games against Top 16 teams (which could still have an indirect negative result even if they win out). And, of course, conference tournaments will result in some shuffling of seeds.

This is all point in time if the committee were to have released an official bracket last night (but, only for the Top 16 seeds).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just as a general question, how do you fairly rank the Pac-12 teams when none of them played a real non-conference schedule? I don't think the NET and the other ranking systems can really apply to a conference that only played amongst themselves.

You are correct. It is a zero sum game when a conference has had no OOC games.

Reaction Score
Michigan is still a game short of qualifying for the tournament.

Michigan has already qualified. It only takes 12 regular season games, since teams are allowed to count one league tournament game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Like Carolyn Peck stated, Texas A&M has more "quality wins" than a lot of teams ranked ahead of them, and they avenged their loss at LSU with a win at home against LSU; still, I think the #5 overall national seed is pretty accurate as they don't have a win over a Top 10 seeded team. But, does Louisville (I haven't checked)?
A&M has 5 wins against Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia and Kentucky, all of whom are in the top 16 or likely just outside of it. Louisville is 0-1 vs the top 16 and their only win over a ranked foe is against DePaul. Besides that their best wins are against Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse . I'd take A&M as the #4 overall seed ahead of Louisville since Louisville really hasn't proven anything against good teams yet.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think if Jose keeps winning now that they are out of Covid protocol, they will crack the top 16 next reveal. As will Michigan if they keep winning. One of the SEC teams or WV will drop out.
Essentially all the non-p5 teams except UConn got the shaft. Tough tacos for the Gonzagas and South Floridas and DePauls and South Dakota States and Stephen F. Austins of the world. But god forbid we don't make Georgia a 3 seed because hey, they're in a good football conference.

The only faint silver lining is that with all games on neutral courts this year, the seeding is less important.

Reaction Score
S.C. can hang a banner: We're a #1 seed. :D

Yup, unlike last season when we were THE OFFICIAL number one seed at actual seeding time after the season had ended.

I guess we'll make this "temporary seeding banner" a different color. Maybe one square inch smaller.

Do we get another one for the next temporary seeding before the final official seeding?

Hot dawg, three potential seeding banners in one year!

Reaction Score
I got zero complaints about the committee and their choices. The best thing that programs can do now, is just go out and play and let the results happen. Because in the end of all of this, folks are gonna complain. "Oh this team had an easy region so their run to the title was easy and should not count." Or "Oh this team had a tougher region so their run was more impactful than the other team."

Reaction Score
What if you don’t play a tournament game due to Covid? You still need 13 games, and while MI is very likely to get there, they’re not there yet.

no. The NCAA says you can count one tournament game even if it never gets played. A team definitely only needs 12 regular season games, so Michigan has already qualified.

Reaction Score
I got zero complaints about the committee and their choices. The best thing that programs can do now, is just go out and play and let the results happen. Because in the end of all of this, folks are gonna complain. "Oh this team had an easy region so their run to the title was easy and should not count." Or "Oh this team had a tougher region so their run was more impactful than the other team."
Agree 100%. Right now, it means nothing. Even when the actual seedings are released, with the amount of fans that will be allowed to attend, not sure it will matter much then either.

I doubt Geno cares. Like, at all!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really hate that the basketball committee bumps up/down teams seed-wise to avoid "potential" intra-conference matchups 3-4 rounds deep into the tournament. Neither women's volleyball nor women's softball do this (and maybe not even women's soccer); they seed teams based on their established criteria, and just let the chips fall where the may, even if that means intra-conference matchups occur in Sweet 16 or Elite 8. I believe the only thing they strictly try to avoid are round of 64 and round of 32 intra-conference matchups.
At the same time, it is really tough on two very good teams in the same conference to have to play two conference games and a conference tournament game and then an NCAA tournament game before the ff against the same team. Uconn and Rutgers and Uconn and ND have had to do that (against ND multiple times) and I believe there were howls when it happened fairly recently to Baylor?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hardly neutral for teams from the Lonestar State.
With fan attendance probably disallowed, I doubt there will be any significant quasi-home court advantage unless teams are actually playing in their home arena, which apparently isn't the case, unless we count a potential 1st-round game for Texas at the Erwin Center ... or potential 1st- and/or 2nd-round games for UTSA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom