Colorado up on LSU double digits | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Colorado up on LSU double digits

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mulkey is a great coach, if not particularly likeable. Arguably #3 behind Geno and Pat all time.
Not sure she jumps ahead of Tara. 1 more Championship, but way short in victories and Final 4s. Like barely over half as many wins. That seems like quite a stretch.

Reaction Score
Not sure she jumps ahead of Tara. 1 more Championship, but way short in victories and Final 4s. Like barely over half as many wins. That seems like quite a stretch.
It took Tara 30 years to win her 3rd title and they barely won. If not for Haley Jones and a couple of missed layups, she wouldn't have that one. She's also been a head coach way longer than Kim.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It took Tara 30 years to win her 3rd title and they barely won. If not for Haley Jones and a couple of missed layups, she wouldn't have that one. She's also been a head coach way longer than Kim.
Only 3 Titles is the knock on Tara, but Kim should have a lot more Final 4s. Dawn has just as many as Kim, in a lot less years of coaching. Tara has been winning consistently for a very long time, that's gotta be worth something. And racking up a lot of Final 4s. Way more than anybody not named Geno or Pat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only 3 Titles is the knock on Tara, but Kim should have a lot more Final 4s. Dawn has just as many as Kim, in a lot less years of coaching. Tara has been winning consistently for a very long time, that's gotta be worth something. And racking up a lot of Final 4s. Way more than anybody not named Geno or Pat.
Not just the 3 titles but how long it took her in between titles. 30 years? That's insane! Kim hasn't even been a head coach for 30 years. And yes, final fours are great but titles are greater imo.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not just the 3 titles but how long it took her in between titles. 30 years? That's insane! Kim hasn't even been a head coach for 30 years. And yes, final fours are great but titles are greater imo.
Titles are one thing, but they aren't everything to me. Kim has never even been to back to back Final 4s. Somehow when she's had a group of players good enough to win it all, it's been a one off. She's all or nothing. Cuts down the nets or flames out early. Way more so than any of the other elite coaches in the conversation. That is a legit knock against her.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I don't actually have a stake in the Kim vs Tara debate, but I can't agree that Kim is "all or nothing."

Sure she's never been to back to back final 4s, but in her last 12 years of NCAA tournaments at Baylor she never missed a sweet 16: 3 sweet 16s, 6 elite 8s, one final 4, and 2 championships. [there was an excellent chance Baylor would have been a #1 seed and a final four favorite in year tournament was cancelled." It's also a very impressive feat that her 4 titles have come from only 5 Final Four appearances.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't actually have a stake in the Kim vs Tara debate, but I can't agree that Kim is "all or nothing."

Sure she's never been to back to back final 4s, but in her last 12 years of NCAA tournaments at Baylor she never missed a sweet 16: 3 sweet 16s, 6 elite 8s, one final 4, and 2 championships. [there was an excellent chance Baylor would have been a #1 seed and a final four favorite in year tournament was cancelled." It's also a very impressive feat that her 4 titles have come from only 5 Final Four appearances.
Weren't they a #1 or #2 seed pretty much every one of those seasons? Getting to the Sweet 16 isn't exactly a huge accomplishment for the elites in womens hoops. I just remember her having quite a few very talented teams that fell short of expectations. Too many for me to consider her the third best coach of all time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom