Collier in Minnesota | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Collier in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In the most comprehensive "Efficiency" stat which attempts to positively weigh positive stats and negatively weigh negative stats,

=((PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK) - ((FGA - FGM) + (FTA - FTM) + TO)) / G).

Naphessa is ranked 12. All 11 players ahead of her are in the All Star game and many lower than her.

Start the investigation. ;)

View attachment 44789
Obviously a "deep state" plot hatched by nefarious haters of all things morally correct. Can be no other explanation. ;)

Reaction Score
C127D9CA-240D-436D-955E-A5C34EC0D6E3.jpeg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
After every Linx game I look at the boxscore and see the same thing. Sims has more shots than anyone, more than Fowles and more than any forward. How does a professional team win that way?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
After every Linx game I look at the boxscore and see the same thing. Sims has more shots than anyone, more than Fowles and more than any forward. How does a professional team win that way?
Uh, maybe ask the Warriors or the Raptors? Not unusual for a guard to take the most shots on a team.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Uh, maybe ask the Warriors or the Raptors? Not unusual for a guard to take the most shots on a team.
First Leonard is not a guard. Second, once Durant hit the team he took more shots than the guards.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
First Leonard is not a guard. Second, once Durant hit the team he took more shots than the guards.
Both Curry and Thompson averaged more attempts per game than Durant this season.

I guess Leonard is considered to play the 3, but okay, we still have the following playoff teams with 1s and 2s leading in FGAs:
Houston (Harden)​
Portland (Lillard)​
Boston (Irving)​
Indiana (Oladipo)​
Utah (Mitchell)​
Brooklyn (Russell)​
San Antonio (DeRozan)​
in addition to Golden State (Curry)​

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both Curry and Thompson averaged more attempts per game than Durant this season.

I guess Leonard is considered to play the 3, but okay, we still have the following playoff teams with 1s and 2s leading in FGAs:
Houston (Harden)​
Portland (Lillard)​
Boston (Irving)​
Indiana (Oladipo)​
Utah (Mitchell)​
Brooklyn (Russell)​
San Antonio (DeRozan)​

Clearly the NBA has transitioned to a small man 3pt shooting league and the inside game is based on slashers and pick / rolls. I think this has improved the NBA game and I am sure this is what WNBA wants to do. Unfortunately, the WNBA does not have as many accomplished 3pt shooters so many WNBA games are a slog. Fowles is being hammered every time and is triple teamed.

The outside shooters have to give her relief

JordyG

Reaction Score

Houston (Harden)​
Portland (Lillard)​
Boston (Irving)​
Indiana (Oladipo)​
Utah (Mitchell)​
Brooklyn (Russell)​
San Antonio (DeRozan)​
So please edify me. Which of those teams won championships? Which guard shooting, dominant team before Golden State won a championship? If you say the Bulls, you'd be right. But in the history of the Association those teams are anomalies. The overwhelming majority of championship teams feed their forwards, as evidenced by the Raptors, in WCBB almost every UConn team, and Baylor from last year. That is because unless that guard is a Jordan, the GOAT or Curry the greatest shooter of all time, all the other team has to do is double or triple the guard and the offense sputters.

Reaction Score

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The overwhelming majority of championship teams feed their forwards, as evidenced by the Raptors, in WCBB almost every UConn team, and Baylor from last year.

The Lynx dynasty was built around Whalen, Augustus, and Moore. Now you can say that Maya played "small forward" but she always led the Lynx in 3-point attempts. She is a perimeter player.

Besides, pounding the ball down to Fowles is not a winning strategy. Pokey Chatman's Sky teams proved that season after season.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The Lynx dynasty was built around Whalen, Augustus, and Moore. Now you can say that Maya played "small forward" but she always led the Lynx in 3-point attempts. She is a perimeter player.

Besides, pounding the ball down to Fowles is not a winning strategy. Pokey Chatman's Sky teams proved that season after season.
Yes, Maya played small forward, and because she shot plenty of 3's hardly belies my point, it just amplifies it. Shooting 3's is the way the game is played and won today. Again, 2 of those players you've mentioned are indeed forwards. No, pounding it inside just to Fowles is not a winning strategy. I didn't say inside players. Getting your forwards more shots than you should be Sims' strategy. After all, it's easy for guards to get off shots. They have the ball all day.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, Maya played small forward, and because she shot plenty of 3's hardly belies my point, it just amplifies it. Shooting 3's is the way the game is played and won today. Again, 2 of those players you've mentioned are indeed forwards. No, pounding it inside just to Fowles is not a winning strategy. I didn't say inside players. Getting your forwards more shots than you should be Sims' strategy. After all, it's easy for guards to get off shots. They have the ball all day.

I brought up Fowles because you specifically mentioned in an earlier post that Sims was taking more shots than Fowles. Whereas you did not note any specific forward that should be getting more shots instead of Sims.

The distinction between forward and guard is entirely arbitrary. Moore has always been called a forward. Diamond DeShields was selected for the all-star game this year at guard. They play the exact same "3" position. Even if you stipulate that all "3" players are forwards, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense because 2s and 3s are often operating from the same parts of the court offensively.

Besides all that, it's been proven over and over that you can win with an offense based around guard play..

I mean, you had to call arguably the two greatest teams of all time - Jordan's Bulls and Curry's Warriors "anomalies" to make your point.

And in answering your own question about which guard-dominant team won a championship previous to the Warriors, you completely ignored Kobe's Lakers winning in 2009 and 2010.

And lastly, you may have tried to block it out of your mind but...2018 Notre Dame? That's another championship won by a guard-dominant team.

2007 and 2009 Mercury lead by Cappie and DT...the list goes on...

Feels like it would just be easier to say "Collier needs to shoot more" instead of making a faux-historical argument about which teams can and cannot win championships.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I brought up Fowles because you specifically mentioned in an earlier post that Sims was taking more shots than Fowles. Whereas you did not note any specific forward that should be getting more shots instead of Sims.

The distinction between forward and guard is entirely arbitrary. Moore has always been called a forward. Diamond DeShields was selected for the all-star game this year at guard. They play the exact same "3" position. Even if you stipulate that all "3" players are forwards, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense because 2s and 3s are often operating from the same parts of the court offensively.

Besides all that, it's been proven over and over that you can win with an offense based around guard play..

I mean, you had to call arguably the two greatest teams of all time - Jordan's Bulls and Curry's Warriors "anomalies" to make your point.

And in answering your own question about which guard-dominant team won a championship previous to the Warriors, you completely ignored Kobe's Lakers winning in 2009 and 2010.

And lastly, you may have tried to block it out of your mind but...2018 Notre Dame? That's another championship won by a guard-dominant team.

Feels like it would just be easier to say "Collier needs to shoot more" instead of making a faux-historical argument about which teams can and cannot win championships.
I said, "More than Fowles and more than any forward". I thought that was inclusive enough, considering Fowles is their only returning all star forward.

Even though the game has changed 3's are still expected to hit the boards, set more screens, play more in the lane, offensively work off more screens than 2's, work more off the elbow, work the high post and help inside more than 2's. 2's also are expected to bring up the ball more, occasionally play the 1, make more pocket passes and set the offense more.

Many critics (including me) that mention the greatest teams in the Association believe the old Lakers teams with Magic and Jabbar, the ones with Kobe and Shaq, and perhaps the Philly teams with Doc and Malone could beat this current Warriors team if the games were played under the rules of the past. As Shaq and Barkley says, they'd "Crush this tiny team". I agree.

Yes Kobe led his team to a championship. One of the top 5 greatest guards in history. A transcendent player. What you've forgotten is that those teams were gigantic, even for today with Odom, Bynum and Gasol, three 7 footers starting. That opens up the driving and shooting lanes just a little. Yes, I think those teams would have beaten the Warriors as well. Under the rules of 2009.

Again, 2007 and 2009 Mercury teams were great. The WNBA has been in existence for 23 years, the NBA for 72 years. How many guard oriented have won championships? Yes, you can win, but only if at least one guard is transcendent, but even then it's a crapshoot. More often than not, not, and Sims is not that transcendent guard. Not by a longshot.

Reaction Score
Way to go Napheesa! Congratulations on making the All Star team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

well said... or just say you don't like Sims, Baylor or both!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hey, there is this Lynx rookie you just have to see:

“She’s hard to guard. She can shoot the 3, she can take it off the dribble, she can shoot jumpers, she’s posting up. Nobody can guard her,” Odyssey Sims said earlier this season of her teammate. “The girl is good. Bottom line, there isn’t anything else to say. We got the best rookie out of all the rookies in the draft.”

Lynx Rookie Napheesa Collier Gets Nod to 2019 All-Star Game

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Dr. Naismith is rolling over in his grave right now...he is..."

Geno is a pretty happy vindicated camper right now. Maybe next time they'll listen to him. He's gotta be delighted for Phee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Game Day!
Mystics @ Lynx - 7/24/19
Minneapolis, MN - 1:00 PM ET
TV: NBA TV, Monumental Sports, SN1

League Pass:

Steam:

Game page:

ESPN Gamecast:

Reaction Score
Kristi Toliver is going off on Minnesota. Already at 31 points before the end of the 3rd quarter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seems Pheesa had a good offensive game and was strong on the boards (second double double I think) but had 5TO's and did not seem to have the same defensive impact. Kia also had a really subpar game. Perhaps, the All Star game has cost them some focus.

Reaction Score
Lynx lose again 79-71

Collier with 15 pts, 11 reb, 2 ast, team high 5 TO

Lexie Brown 19 pts, 2 reb, 3 ast, 2 stl

Toliver on fire with 32 pts, 3 reb, 6 ast, 3 stl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics