OT: - College in the COVID era | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: College in the COVID era

Reaction Score
this is spot on. If she wants to do something in politics, GW is great.

Otherwise, definitely not worth the money
My son hated that GW had no dining halls. Students were given vouchers to local restaurants. Other that that, the neighborhood was very nice

Reaction Score
My son hated that GW had no dining halls. Students were given vouchers to local restaurants. Other that that, the neighborhood was very nice

interesting. I didn’t know that about GW.

At least there are plenty of restaurant options around

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That is really weird. All the schools we actually visited make a huge deal of their dining halls and meal plans.

Reaction Score
I assume you will be visiting whatever school it is before pulling the trigger. If that's not correct, would strongly recommend.

Reaction Score
I'll go as far as to say I was completely wrong in August. I looked back at how much I was against in-person schooling yadda yadda. Well I wasn't completely wrong - it's not like my school has been in the whole time. However, the fact that my school has had the success it has is because we started the year in-person. Sure we've had 3 hiccups of 2 weeks to a month, but being in school for the full month of September was PARAMOUNT.

I look at what a mess Massachusetts schools have become, they were all about pushing things back and not being in-person off the bat and it's had such a detrimental effect on the students and their progress. Our friends have 2 high school students and we were over there for dinner last weekend and the kids tell me what a joke their school year has been. Teachers half assing it, they haven't been in-person YET...

I'll admit I was wrong, being in there with my students for the first month gave me the opportunity to build a rapport and make those connections to make surviving all of these hiccups into remote learning. I assume there will be a hiccup or two until we get to May but I imagine we'll be in the hybrid system for the rest of the school year.

I can't even imagine what a mess college is going to be with all of these kids going back. The breakouts will absolutely happen, and the kids will be blamed for it, I think college administrators have come out looking like supervillains the most throughout this whole fiasco.

Reaction Score
I should add that even going to elite colleges is no guarantee set you up for life if you're not willing to work. We just got the class update for the last year (I graduated in the late 00s), and like half of the entries are people who dropped out of PhD programs to become baristas. I know someone who dropped out of college and is now an Uber driver. (Of course, there were a good number of doctors, scholars, lawyers, non-profit execs, etc. too)

And in my PhD program at grad school, our group had kids from both elite private colleges and so-so to good public universities, and all of them went on to get terrific jobs in the field.

It's not so much the school as how you take advantage of the opportunities when you're there, though some schools open the door a little more for you and some you have to do more of the heavy-lifting yourself.

My fiance's R1 PhD program has something like a 30-50% attrition rate in most cohorts. She is the last one from her cohort left: 1 switched to a different field, 1 went to law school, 1 is a "digital nomad" now, and another moved back to China to do nothing.

It must be brutal financially and mentally to spend 4 years of undergrad, 2 years on your first Master's and 3 years getting to ABD, just to leave the program. The guy who went to law school ended up at UVA, my fiance's alma mater. The one who switched to linguistics is at NYU, I think. Like... people who get into funded R1 PhD programs are really smart. It must take some really serious mental health struggles to totally give up and become a barista or whatever else.

And in a slightly related note... Word is that community colleges are becoming a lot more viable option for people who just got their PhDs as long as you still work at publishing. People expect enrollment to be increasing pretty dramatically over the next decade, and jobs basically all require PhDs at this point. She interviewed at some comm college in Michigan(?) last week, and they pay around 70k starting out with state benefits.... which is way, way better than most adjuncting gigs as you probably know.

Reaction Score
My fiance's R1 PhD program has something like a 30-50% attrition rate in most cohorts. She is the last one from her cohort left: 1 switched to a different field, 1 went to law school, 1 is a "digital nomad" now, and another moved back to China to do nothing.

It must be brutal financially and mentally to spend 4 years of undergrad, 2 years on your first Master's and 3 years getting to ABD, just to leave the program. The guy who went to law school ended up at UVA, my fiance's alma mater. The one who switched to linguistics is at NYU, I think. Like... people who get into funded R1 PhD programs are really smart. It must take some really serious mental health struggles to totally give up and become a barista or whatever else.

And in a slightly related note... Word is that community colleges are becoming a lot more viable option for people who just got their PhDs as long as you still work at publishing. People expect enrollment to be increasing pretty dramatically over the next decade, and jobs basically all require PhDs at this point. She interviewed at some comm college in Michigan(?) last week, and they pay around 70k starting out with state benefits.... which is way, way better than most adjuncting gigs as you probably know.
Adjuncting is manufactured poverty for PhDs. That's why I went into a field where I could be a researcher without having to be a professor. No interest in the faculty rat race.

Teaching at community colleges is a good option, probably underutilized landing spot for new PhDs (of which there are way too many for the number of open faculty positions).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It really depends on the firm. The L students on Law Review and top 5-10% of their class will do fine at almost any school. They will be recruited. Law school however, is highly localized. So a firm in Indianapolis will likely to prioritize a kid at an Indiana school who is going to get some Indiana law. So the top kids at IU are going to be better for them than a middling student at Duke.

The big national firms, including the biggest (which is in your city) they are going to recruit kids from the top schools more broadly.

But they still prefer local ties.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I assume you will be visiting whatever school it is before pulling the trigger. If that's not correct, would strongly recommend.

If possible. Most won't allow tours now, but you can at least walk around. We were lucky we went to several in fall of 2019.

Reaction Score
If possible. Most won't allow tours now, but you can at least walk around. We were lucky we went to several in fall of 2019.

Highly recommend going anyway. You will be able to evaluate the area, and your daughter will still be able to randomly talk to kids.

Reaction Score
Highly recommend going anyway. You will be able to evaluate the area, and your daughter will still be able to randomly talk to kids.
Agreed, we didn’t visit very many schools (Wake, UNC, Duke, Rice, UVA), and Wake was the only school that did admissions tours during COVID. At all other schools the students were great about answering random questions. They seemed to understand the challenges HS seniors were facing with COVID.

Reaction Score
It's different for everyone. A lot of private schools are providing a ton of financial aid. While I am not getting any of that, we are finding that there is merit aid available. So far, 5 out of 6 acceptances have come with merit aid that makes the privates about the same cost as out of state publics. And with that, smaller class sizes and better student to teacher ratios in general.

It's actually something I was going to ask @upstater about. I've heard that once the acceptances are in, there is room to "bargain" for merit aid at some schools. If Fordham gives us $17k a year and BU gives us nothing, can we go to BU and ask for some consideration to swing the acceptance to them? Some people say yes, you can.
I don't really know how this works. I probably know as much as you--it's anecdotal. I've read and heard that people have failed to get a better deal. But then I have close friends who DID get a better deal. But in both cases I know of personally it had to do with interpretation of assets and income. In my friend's case, their second address/home was actually used regularly for out of state work, and this was crucial in getting them a lot more aid when the school reconsidered.

If you have a student whose class rank and SATs are above the average at the school you're negotiating with, I would definitely do it.

Reaction Score
Ah, that helps, and isn't something I really considered.

If you're getting aid that makes those private schools financially equivalent to public schools, that makes them much more attractive.

The truth of the matter is that in terms of expenditures per student, the schools are very close. Public schools spend almost as much per student as the privates. At the privates, they are charging tuition over and above actual expenditures per student, and that amount of money is naturally part of the process that sees 40% of the students receiving need-blind financial aid. In other words, the money is redistributed from those paying full freight to those who could not otherwise afford it. This NEVER happens at public schools since the expenditure per student is always much higher than the tuition.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The truth of the matter is that in terms of expenditures per student, the schools are very close. Public schools spend almost as much per student as the privates. At the privates, they are charging tuition over and above actual expenditures per student, and that amount of money is naturally part of the process that sees 40% of the students receiving need-blind financial aid. In other words, the money is redistributed from those paying full freight to those who could not otherwise afford it. This NEVER happens at public schools since the expenditure per student is always much higher than the tuition.

I believe that last line if you look at the aggregate, but I suspect that out of state kids are charged tuition above expenditures. Especially at the schools that can get away with it. Out of state seems affordable at big publics in the south and midwest, but is comparable to private schools in a lot of places.

We filed a FAFSA, but I didn't (and won't) submit a CSS.

Reaction Score
I believe that last line if you look at the aggregate, but I suspect that out of state kids are charged tuition above expenditures. Especially at the schools that can get away with it. Out of state seems affordable at big publics in the south and midwest, but is comparable to private schools in a lot of places.

We filed a FAFSA, but I didn't (and won't) submit a CSS.
Expenditures per student at public research universities should be very close to $30k. So if it's Michigan and they are charging $40k for out of state, it is just profit for them. But it all depends on the college/department as well since expenditures per student in Engineering are 3x what they are in Liberal Arts/Humanities. If you look at Canadian schools, they actually charge differential tuitions depending on your major. Last I looked a few years ago, U. Toronto liberal arts/ Humanities were $7-8k for Americans and $13-14k for engineering. They do the same for Canadian students but I'm not quite sure what the tuition charge is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I should add that even going to elite colleges is no guarantee set you up for life if you're not willing to work. We just got the class update for the last year (I graduated in the late 00s), and like half of the entries are people who dropped out of PhD programs to become baristas. I know someone who dropped out of college and is now an Uber driver. (Of course, there were a good number of doctors, scholars, lawyers, non-profit execs, etc. too)

And in my PhD program at grad school, our group had kids from both elite private colleges and so-so to good public universities, and all of them went on to get terrific jobs in the field.

It's not so much the school as how you take advantage of the opportunities when you're there, though some schools open the door a little more for you and some you have to do more of the heavy-lifting yourself.

Those willing to work the hustle, usually come out on top.

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” -Thomas Edison.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
One of my best friends went there for finance about ten years ago. Overall I think he loved it, you just have to be very careful in the surrounding area. He was robbed multiple times about to walk back into campus at night.
Was it Han Solo?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, one last bump for an update. The decision process is over. It came down to three schools, Loyola - Chicago, UVM and Northeastern. Northeastern is the choice. Of course it's the most expensive option by far and we got no merit money. She was accepted to the N.U.IN program, where you do you first semester as study abroad. Wanted Dublin or London, but she's on the waiting list because we accepted it so late. So for now she'd be in Boston but not in a residence hall. I blame Fordham for that. We only just had an opportunity to visit last week, as campus has been closed and locked for a year. Even then it was a 5 minute self guided tour.

Key factors: She's always loved Boston. She liked the campus and the ability to jump on the green line or walk to Fenway or Back Bay. The academics and reputation are best of the schools that accepted her. She's not sure what she wants to do or study, and I think Co-op will help with that. There is even a commuter rail stop at campus that takes her back to our town, so that's convenient. She was actually really excited about going to Dublin or London, so I hope they can find a spot for her.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So, one last bump for an update. The decision process is over. It came down to three schools, Loyola - Chicago, UVM and Northeastern. Northeastern is the choice. Of course it's the most expensive option by far and we got no merit money. She was accepted to the N.U.IN program, where you do you first semester as study abroad. Wanted Dublin or London, but she's on the waiting list because we accepted it so late. So for now she'd be in Boston but not in a residence hall. I blame Fordham for that. We only just had an opportunity to visit last week, as campus has been closed and locked for a year. Even then it was a 5 minute self guided tour.

Key factors: She's always loved Boston. She liked the campus and the ability to jump on the green line or walk to Fenway or Back Bay. The academics and reputation are best of the schools that accepted her. She's not sure what she wants to do or study, and I think Co-op will help with that. There is even a commuter rail stop at campus that takes her back to our town, so that's convenient. She was actually really excited about going to Dublin or London, so I hope they can find a spot for her.

Congrats!!

i went to northeastern for a while.

Basically was my decision process as Well.

it’s a college campus dropped in the middle of a city. I loved that. Plus coop program is great to make money and learn about what you like.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Congrats! The hard part is over. Now start buying gear for the other Huskies.

Reaction Score

Congrats! I never really engaged with the college decision process outside of basketball, so I didn't know how much when into it. Your experiences here were interesting to read about. More than anything, my takeaway is that I hope my kids are dumb like me so I don't have to worry about trying to get into really good colleges. We're screwed if they're smart like my fiance.

Reaction Score
My son is at Northeastern. Combined major in Intl Affairs and Economics. Overall a good experience, but he has really had only 1 normal semester in his 2 years at college (thanks COVID). To be honest, the northeast was a bit of a culture shock for my son. Neice from NJ will be an incoming Freshman in the Fall.

Fingers crossed that he can do the summer Dialogue of Civilizations class in Copenhagen this year. He was supposed to go to France last Summer, but that obviously did not happen. The EU just announced they will be allowing US travelers with vaccinations, so I am hoping Northeastern allows these courses to progress.

Daughter is going to Rice in the Fall. One in Boston and one in Houston. Thankfully Southwest flies directly to both.

Reaction Score

If her semester abroad gets delayed, might not be the worst thing. Vaccine rollout is starting to pick up in Europe, its better in the UK than Ireland who was heavily locked down until a few weeks ago. Wouldnt be as great of a semester abroad if there were restrictions on international travel to other countries or even being able to leave her county (if she was in the Irish program).

Reaction Score
Congrats on the decision. Northeastern is a great school. I know someone who went to Northeastern and did the first semester away also. He went to Greece and loved it. No issues coming into school 2nd semester.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom