OT: - College in the COVID era | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: College in the COVID era

Reaction Score
She applied to GW and American.

I lived and worked essentially on the GW campus in Foggy Bottom for years. It’s more than safe. Literally blocks from the White House and the State Department, it may be be most secure square miles in the country.

American is up in Friendship Heights which is, for all intents and purposes, a suburb. So, if she’s looking for a more urban environment she may want to check out that campus to see if it’s really the feel she wants. It does have easy Metro access, though.

Something to consider, though re: American, as someone who lived the DC work life. Out of the DC schools, the perception is generally:

1) Georgetown

2) GW

(Significant space)

3) American

just something to think about when you consider how much it costs...

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk, Fordham is a fine school, however:

• 40% of undergrads are commuters, so there's that.
  • While Fordham is just a 20 minute Metro-North ride to Grand Central, it's not really close to anywhere else that's appealing to college aged kids. About ~50 from the Village and 1hr 15+ to the more fun parts of Brooklyn/Queens. Maybe there are fun parts of the Bronx, but I don't know the borough super well.

You mention UVM, as long as she's OK with cold weather, it's a solid school in a fun town close to great outdoors stuff.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If your child was accepted at Fordham which is a Jesuit school has she considered BC which is also a Jesuit school?
The main reason I mention this is that college life in Boston is so much different than NYC. I went to Manhattan College (ironically in the Riverdale section of the Bronx) in the late 60's. On campus was safe; surrounding area so-so (no robberies but barfights in the Irish saloons common). I had friends who went to Bentley in Boston which was small but very highly rated for business at the time. I went to Commonwealth Ave on a Spring Friday night with them and there were literally thousands of college kids roaming the streets. Parties everywhere. NYC is so big it just swallows up everything including colleges. Both my kids went to Bentley and highly enjoyed the experience. BC vs. Fordham academically see attached link.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk, Fordham is a fine school, however:

• 40% of undergrads are commuters, so there's that.
  • While Fordham is just a 20 minute Metro-North ride to Grand Central, it's not really close to anywhere else that's appealing to college aged kids. About ~50 from the Village and 1hr 15+ to the more fun parts of Brooklyn/Queens. Maybe there are fun parts of the Bronx, but I don't know the borough super well.

You mention UVM, as long as she's OK with cold weather, it's a solid school in a fun town close to great outdoors stuff.

This is great information. Thanks. Exactly the kind of thing I needed to know. I really just don't know NYC at all, and especially not the Bronx (aside from the fact that the Zoo and Yankee Stadium are there).

We know Vermont well, just sold our house in VT this fall. She got to tour UVM before Covid, so it's definitely an option (and likely the cheapest one).

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
given ur daughters predilection for places urban/urbanish, the choice between fordham and uvm is a no brainer (unless specific program offerings) - the big city of burlington.
given a choice of anywhere vs boston for college times?? double u'fah -it's called 'the hub' for a reason. big fun and opportunities in the home of the cod.
dc? fuhgettabootit. it's a mess. 20 something relative is packing up and getting out of his fancy nw abode. main reason? ghost town and now even sketchier public safety. good observation by him - 'everybody here, including my peer group, has turned into a bunch of 90 year olds. great, great gramms could drive around here with one eye closed, since no one is on the roads.'
i think that websters defines college as 'bahston.'

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just curious... what schools did you daughter apply to? I don't remember posting a list in this thread. Just curious.

UVM, William & Mary, George Washington, American, BC, BU, Northeastern, Holy Cross, Fordham, St. Joes (Philly), DePaul, Loyola Chicago. Accepted at the italicized schools. No rejections yet.

@dennismenace my wife is a BC grad, so yes she applied to BC. Probably the biggest reach for admissions though. Tougher to get in to than Fordham. My daughter is at a Catholic HS in MA, and this year 59 of her classmates applied to BC.

@Guapo Yeah, I know American is less well regarded, but I think merit aid is possible. I'm kicking myself for not telling her to apply to Georgetown.

Reaction Score
UVM, William & Mary, George Washington, American, BC, BU, Northeastern, Holy Cross, Fordham, St. Joes (Philly), DePaul, Loyola Chicago. Accepted at the italicized schools. No rejections yet.

@dennismenace my wife is a BC grad, so yes she applied to BC. Probably the biggest reach for admissions though. Tougher to get in to than Fordham. My daughter is at a Catholic HS in MA, and this year 59 of her classmates applied to BC.

@Guapo Yeah, I know American is less well regarded, but I think merit aid is possible. I'm kicking myself for not telling her to apply to Georgetown.
Well if you think BC is a reach, even with a legacy, then Georgetown would be an extremely big reach. From what I know Georgetown is much harder to get into. If she got into Northeastern then I think she has a good shot at BC. From a few kids who I know who go to BC it doesn't seem to be as hard to get into as you may think. Sounds like she already has some good options. Good luck.

You should be glad you only have to go through this once. We went through it twice and I'm glad I never have to do it again. My older son did everything for grad school on his own. Hoping the younger one takes that same approach!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well if you think BC is a reach, even with a legacy, then Georgetown would be an extremely big reach. From what I know Georgetown is much harder to get into. If she got into Northeastern then I think she has a good shot at BC. From a few kids who I know who go to BC it doesn't seem to be as hard to get into as you may think. Sounds like she already has some good options. Good luck.

You should be glad you only have to go through this once. We went through it twice and I'm glad I never have to do it again. My older son did everything for grad school on his own. Hoping the younger one takes that same approach!

It's definitely a big reach. BC is only going to take so many Catholic school kids from the Boston area, so that works against her in this case. It's a weird year. Many kids have no SAT. Most have been at home since the spring. So it's hard to predict anything.

Once is enough for this process, and certainly for the expense.

Reaction Score
I will look at the crime stats. We will visit and see what we think about it. She lives in a neighborhood where she can't walk to anything. She has no street smarts at all. She only applied to colleges in cities (counting Burlington as one) plus William & Mary. So she's not going to end up in Storrs or anyplace like it.

@superjohn I'd be surprised if pepper spray is legal in NY. In MA it requires a concealed carry permit. Do you have any thoughts on Depaul and Loyola Chicago? Crime Reports Don’t Reflect Violent Crime Near 6 Chicago Universities – NBC Chicago
I remember that Loyola story and a DePaul student was murdered walking home from his job at Starbucks this summer in Andersonville. I tell everyone you're fine in Chicago if you aren't on the West Side or South Side at night but it's a big city and stuff can and does still happen everywhere...

I don't know much about either school to be honest, I know Fordham and Northeastern are considered better than them academically but you can get a really good education anywhere. DePaul is a true city school, most kids live off campus even as freshmen around Lincoln Park which is a very nice neighborhood and DePaul buildings are amongst the city buildings, it's not a walled off campus like some city schools but it's a vibrant and fun area for kids. It doesn't have the big city feel of downtown but there are people, restaurants, bars, music venues all around and the streets are still pretty and quiet tree lined streets. I have a few friends who went there and they liked it and turned out well...

Loyola has more kids living on campus, it's in Rogers Park which is considered a good neighborhood with cheaper rents, I never hang out in Rogers Park so don't know it too well. I think it's a little cheaper and probably has a bit more crime than some other north side neighborboods but I don't think crime is a real problem. It starts getting to be a bit of a hike downtown from there but it's next to Andersonville which I like a lot (great food) and Evanston where Northwestern is, which is a pretty great town. Loyola is basically right next to Northwestern, they are both on Sheridan Road on the lake which is nice and connect to Lake Shore drive which takes you downtown. Not sure I'm friendly with anyone who went to Loyola but have heard good things.

If you want any specific info about DePaul I can talk to my buddy and get back to you.

Reaction Score
UVM, William & Mary, George Washington, American, BC, BU, Northeastern, Holy Cross, Fordham, St. Joes (Philly), DePaul, Loyola Chicago.
1. W&M
2. BC/Holy Cross
3. BU/GW
4. Northeastern/American/Fordham
5. UVM
6. Depaul/Loyola/St Joes

W&M isn't urban but thomas freaking jefferson went there. she could get any internship she wanted in DC. i'd suck it up for 4 years in colonial williamsburg

i love burlington but the students are pothead ski bums and apres ski craft beer drinkers (good tastes) but there's a 50-50 chance when you visit her over parents weekend her dorm room reeks of pot, there are empty bottles of magic hat and switchback littering every corner, she has blown off half her winter semester classes to ski bolton valley, and she either a) hasnt showered in a month or b) has full on dreadlocks

Last edited:
Reaction Score
GW was voted the worse value of American Colleges.

W&M definely should be considered #1.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
1. W&M
2. BC/Holy Cross
3. BU/GW
4. Fordham/Northeastern/American
5. UVM
6. Depaul/Loyola/St Joes

william & mary isn't urban but thomas freaking jefferson went there. she could get any internship she wanted in DC. spending 4 years in colonial williamsburg or wherever doesnt matter

i love burlington but the students are pothead ski bums and apres ski craft beer drinkers (good tastes) but there's a 50-50 chance when you visit her over parents weekend her dorm room reeks of pot, there are empty bottles of magic hat and switchback littering every corner, she has blown off half her winter semester classes to ski bolton valley, and she either a) hasnt showered in a month or b) has full on dreadlocks

Well I mostly agree on the #6 line, those were safety schools. Cost does play a role here too. The 2 and 3 lines are going to be very expensive, as is Northeastern.

Your description of UVM reminds me of UConn in many ways. Nobody drinks Magic Hat anymore. Daughter doesn't ski, and isn't outdoorsy. She's more of a gamer. Definitely doesn't want a school of preppy LAX Bros and Cheerleaders (hated Fairfield).

W&M is high on my list despite being the least "urban". Not sure how she will feel about it, if she even gets in. Haven't visited.

Reaction Score
Daughter doesn't ski, and isn't outdoorsy. She's more of a gamer
i see. well if that's the case she wouldnt be able to fully appreciate going to school in burlington. it's appeal is rooted in being surrounded by the green mountains and lake champlain. uvm and w&m are the odd rural schools out in her list, but w&m more than makes up for it in prestige.

if she got into fordham and NE she'll prob get into american too. those 3 might check the most boxes for your family.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
i see. well if that's the case she wouldnt be able to fully appreciate going to school in burlington. it's appeal is rooted in being surrounded by the green mountains and lake champlain. uvm and w&m are the odd rural schools out in her list, but w&m more than makes up for it in prestige.

if she got into fordham and NE she'll prob get into american too. those 3 might check the most boxes for your family.

I wouldn't call Burlington rural. Campus is walkable to downtown in the largest city in the state. Yes, it's not a big city, but the idea is shops, restaurants, live music venues, that kind of stuff. It's an artsy school, so that appeals. We had a house in Vermont until this fall, so she's pretty familiar with it. Now Storrs is rural. She didn't like it at all. Didn't like UNH either.

Northeastern is technically the most competitive school on the list for admissions. So I don't really know what to expect from the others.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Burlington rural. Campus is walkable to downtown in the largest city in the state. Yes, it's not a big city, but the idea is shops, restaurants, live music venues, that kind of stuff. It's an artsy school, so that appeals. We had a house in Vermont until this fall, so she's pretty familiar with it. Now Storrs is rural. She didn't like it at all. Didn't like UNH either.

Northeastern is technically the most competitive school on the list for admissions. So I don't really know what to expect from the others.
an artsy gamer how eccentric. fine burlington technically isnt rural but it has more in common with williamsburg than boston, nyc, philly, dc, or chicago

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. W&M
2. BC/Holy Cross
3. BU/GW
4. Northeastern/American/Fordham
5. UVM
6. Depaul/Loyola/St Joes

W&M isn't urban but thomas freaking jefferson went there. she could get any internship she wanted in DC. i'd suck it up for 4 years in colonial williamsburg

That's a real good description of Burlington. I was up there back in early December and downtown just had a constant stank of weed. I do like the Switchback Ale though.

Same for William and Mary. It's in the middle of one of the least interesting parts of the mid-Atlantic. When your choices are Norfolk to the south and Richmond to the east/north, you know you're not there for the excitement. But, yes, W&M is world class and I think I'd rather my kid go there than G'town or any of the other DC schools listed.

Reaction Score

Williamsburg is not exactly a big city, but I do love the William and Mary campus and it’s in such a unique setting

Reaction Score
When your choices are Norfolk to the south and Richmond to the east/north, you know you're not there for the excitement.
Hey, Richmond has a great craft beer scene. Veil and Triple Crossing, to name only 2 of the many, are excellent. Wait, you mean that's not a great sell for a college student?! But HuskyHawk would be excited. Actually Richmond is supposed to be a pretty cool funky small city.

Reaction Score

What does your daughter want to study? I'd let that dictate where she goes then trying to find the perfect location. You can make any situation as good or as bad as you want it. Based on the schools you listed, it doesnt make sense to me that you are letting the location dictate over the quality of education.

I have friends who went to super expensive private schools only to come out of college working $15/hr jobs with tons of debt, just as I have ones who didnt go to great schools on paper that are making tons of money.

Reaction Score
You guys are giving me really good vibes about sending my only child there. UVM is looking pretty good right now.
UVM/Burlington Vt.
Is one of the best environments for kids to enjoy the college experience/get a great education/ and be safe.

If you're talented and good.. Isn't it really more than that? Fordham is cool. Have friends who have sons that graduated from there. They enjoyed it there. But on- campus life is not their priority.

At the end of the day.. What is their(your child's) "end game"? Big time in the City or a happy work/life balance doing what you enjoy with a happy family life.

No one knows your kids better than you.

Reaction Score
William and Mary is a state school and is difficult to get into if you aren’t a Virginia resident. Not quite as difficult to get into as UVA, but close. As a VA resident, I am already pushing those for my two girls, who are years away.

I went to BU, graduated in 1995, lived in Allston for two years and on campus for two. Never felt unsafe and didn’t hear about much crime, although I’m sure it existed. Now, it is so much more safe and clean than it used to be. Get out your wallet, however, for BU, BC, GW, and American and most of the other schools you mentioned.

Reaction Score
Well I mostly agree on the #6 line, those were safety schools. Cost does play a role here too. The 2 and 3 lines are going to be very expensive, as is Northeastern.

Your description of UVM reminds me of UConn in many ways. Nobody drinks Magic Hat anymore. Daughter doesn't ski, and isn't outdoorsy. She's more of a gamer. Definitely doesn't want a school of preppy LAX Bros and Cheerleaders (hated Fairfield).

W&M is high on my list despite being the least "urban". Not sure how she will feel about it, if she even gets in. Haven't visited.
Based on your description of her, Temple would be a good fit (though also not in a safe area). Most private schools are going to have that preppy vibe. Fordham will. Of the schools she’s considering, UVM is probably her best bet for student body. The rest will have plenty of preppy LAX bros.

Reaction Score
Son is at Northeastern now. Chose NU over Emory and W&M. Liked the co-op and the perks of the honors program (better housing, small classes and research opportunities). NU’s continued growth and expansion is amazing. New academic buildings new dorms. They just seem to be buying more and more land and buildings. The plans for NU are amazing. I just wish they would spend more $$ on professors, especially in the humanities.

It is are area you either love or hate. My daughter had no interest in NU as she wanted a more traditional campus and college experience. We were only able to visit a couple of colleges. She fell in love with Rice and got in ED. Live in TN with one child in Boston and one in Houston.

Applications were way up at NU as the no test score option attracted many who would not have applied. It is interesting times as the admissions folks try to determine how many international students will enroll. I would expect a large waitlist at many schools as they have no clue who will enroll. I do know that NU is throwing around more merit aid than in previous years based on my daughter’s friends offers, so there is a push to attract with $$.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I’m largely concerned with her being raped or murdered. Another option you may know is Loyola of Chicago. I feel better about that location. DePaul as well I suppose. She wants an urban environment but has no street smarts and hasn’t lived in a city since we left South Boston when she was 6 months old.

Perhaps I’m exaggerating things. But I have one child so the risk concerns me.
Sometimes you just have to look at the news. I'm in Fairfield County and worked in NYC for a couple of decades. There were no alarming reports coming out of Fordham, no rapes, muggings or other criminal activities. And I still see no bad reports out of Fordham.

My daughter goes to grad school at night at Northeastern and like Fordham no alarming news happening to students. Keep in mind, if Fordham had crime problems attendance would certainly drop.

Funny how as parents we are now so scared (some call it protective) at the same situations that when we were their age meant nothing to us. My daughter survived Boston on her own in undergrad, and is thriving now. I believe you have prepared her for anything.

Anyway, you will certainly enjoy visiting her on weekends even if you only can see her for a couple of hours. Just saying not a bad location to have to visit. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom