College Football ~ Will next generation of fans show up? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

College Football ~ Will next generation of fans show up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll remember this the next time I watch 3/4 of them leave at the end of the 3rd quarter of a 1 possession game.

I made my comment based on 11 seasons of observation. You based yours on one cold, late-season game during a lost season. Haters gotta hate.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Colt house75 said:
Having read thoroughly, each of the proceeding posts, I have to concur with many of your thoughts. At the surface, you all have valid points for reasonings behind the decrease in interest among students on many campuses, if not most campuses across the country. I was struck by Ivan Maisel's candidness in not understanding why a younger generation isn't going to the stadium citing a general 5% decrease in interest across the country. Interesting topic in the off-season.

Like all of you on this board, I love college sports, actually...eat, sleep & live for it and enjoyed playing years ago, but.... let's take a step back and look at the topic - not from the myopic world of ESPN - but from a much more broad view.
When we do, perhaps greater understanding MIGHT explain the forces shaping college campuses. I find Maisel's comments and posture, perhaps fundamentally flawed from the outset- not surprising!!

1) The basic business model of higher education has changed in the last ten years. Faced with rising costs, schools must look to those students that are considered full pay - not receiving academic scholarships and grants. In the last ten years, many schools have seen a dramatic rise in foreign students that can pay the full tuition outright not putting a drain on university coffers. Many schools, if not most, as early as 2008, saw an 8 to 10% increase in foreign students over the last decade. The trend continues. IMO, logically, your base sample of interest has changed....and if your base has changed-you MIGHT experience a paradigm shift in other areas...like student interest in attending an event they have no or little interest.

2) The competitive academic nature of schools and the students has spiked due to the economic costs of attending school. IMO, perhaps greater attention to the rigors given the costs of attending...less efforts made by students to take time in attending a time consuming event that might limit academic achievement. Outstanding schools like UCONN, have a high number of achievement oriented students. you might or MAY find them in attendance in September or October....but interest will wane as the semester enters the beginning of November and beyond.
Reasonably expected. There are many students now attending that have never experienced anything less than a 4.0 .....

3) Without sparking controversy, you might find that in the last 12 years, a change in demographics of students attending schools. Eneough said (too political)....will not go beyond that....

4) As schools have faced increased costs as well as competing for the best students and their wallets, students have travelled greater distances to attend schools. Private (and public) universities will find greater numbers of students outside their immediate geographic footprint. With that in mind, attendees at schools MIGHT have less interest in VIEWING the athletics of a school they are attending.-than a team or school closer to their geographic home that they have followed during their growing years.

The greater question(s) have to be asked:
a) How do you compel a student population that might not have an interest to start...statement not a question.
b)How do you motivate, market and sell to, in UCONN's case, a built in base of alumni within 90 minutes of athletic venues and that can afford the price of low cost entertainment...statement not a question to supplement student inaction.
c) When do you stop looking to your students and start looking to your regional Alumni, family, friends and a new legion of fans....statement not a question.
d) How do you cross market into other areas....statement - not a question.

The greater statement should be made to all universities : IF....IF ...IF there are greater medians to push your product, event and venue, perhaps the delivery of the message is flawed.
Sustained growth is not achieved through limiting tactics (close the gates, stop the bus caravan,) as some have hinted but through elimination of barriers to entry.

At UCONN, we sit on the precipice of something truly great and unique. There is an untapped silent market that is waiting, unlike other schools and universities. In 2 threads, we had close to 15,000 views regarding an assistant coaching hire and an inadvertant statement. That tells me interest among all of you is keen, smart and highly interested. We can accept limiting cerebral (small brain) ESPN viewpoints expressed by Mr. Maisel or find greater solutions to a common good and rise above the perceived malaise.15,000 views tells me otherwise that it is there....191 days to BYU.

Having attended a school that was 20% Chinese (with most of those from Mainland China) I can answer that.

You sell the experience and expand the total population to which you are selling (meaning the local non-student market). CASA was the second largest student club and a good number went to sporting events because that was part of the US college experience. Many more did not go because, well, it was foreign to them.

It's the reason EH was chosen over Storrs. A 20k campus can't fill a 40k stadium as much as we'd love an on-campus facility.

The desolation around the Rent is also a problem. We were promised a Husky Village, we'll end up with a big box store a middling hotel and a supermarket, maybe.

Other schools (campus stadiums) there is a lot more to do than just park, drink, and eat. They shop, explore, and maybe eat locally or attend other events instead.

Us diehards underestimate the hassle of hauling and prepping every game. For new fans it can be too much.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's the reason EH was chosen over Storrs. A 20k campus can't fill a 40k stadium as much as we'd love an on-campus facility.

EH wasn't "chosen" as much as it was available on virtually a moment's notice. It had nothing to do filling seats.

Reaction Score
It's a matter of ticket prices.

Look at the Super Bowl, the cold drove demand down, and a bunch of real football fans showed up.

Living in Buffalo, where the tickets are cheap, you see at least 65k fans at each and every game (capacity is 70k) and they are real fans.

Real fans with middle class jobs are being priced out in most stadiums, and when that happens, teams cut the cord with their fanbase.

Reaction Score
I still fall under this "next generation category"...

On home game-day, my fraternity would invite a sorority over and have morning cocktails. We would then go to the tailgates and continue to drink and socialize. When the game was about to begin (ending the tailgates), we packed up and headed back to the fraternity house to continue drinking and watch the game on the big screen.

As I've gotten older, the drinking has gone down and my actual game attendance has gone up. Go figure...

Reaction Score
I made my comment based on 11 seasons of observation. You based yours on one cold, late-season game during a lost season. Haters gotta hate.

You make an @ss out of yourself by assuming.

I wasn't at the Memphis game, the only home game I missed in the last few years.

My season tickets have been behind the student section for the past 8 years, before that I was behind the UConn bench and watched the same thing game after game. Other than a) night games and/or b) games against big name/top 25 teams, 1/2 - 3/4 of the student section clears out at the end of the third quarter.

I guess I should believe you over my lying eyes. If our student section meets your definition of excellent, you need to check your standards.

Reaction Score
We don't have a student section problem. We have a scheduling problem.

I would bet that students that have tickets that don't attend are doing it for the same reasons that non students don't. Hig Def TV, comfort, and convenience.

The other thing about younger people is that they have to be connected at all times. If they can't post a FB status or tweet what they are doing then it's like it never happened.

Also, it appears that tradition is not a big factor with this generation. Unless you have a truly special pregame ritual, like tOSU dotting the I, or Tennessee marching a giant T up and down the field then you should constantly try to find new an innovative ways to entertain fans in pregame.

Reaction Score
We don't have a student section problem. We have a scheduling problem.

I would bet that students that have tickets that don't attend are doing it for the same reasons that non students don't. Hig Def TV, comfort, and convenience.

The other thing about younger people is that they have to be connected at all times. If they can't post a FB status or tweet what they are doing then it's like it never happened.

Also, it appears that tradition is not a big factor with this generation. Unless you have a truly special pregame ritual, like tOSU dotting the I, or Tennessee marching a giant T up and down the field then you should constantly try to find new an innovative ways to entertain fans in pregame.

The point of the article (see thread title) was to find out if schools are neglecting their next generation of season ticket holders....the students.

And it's not that they can't afford the tickets, they are buying them, and not showing up. They buy them, understanding that there is virtually no data coverage available in the stadium, knowing there will be cold/poor weather. They buy them knowing the schedule. Then they either don't show up, or show up and leave early, except for (this is where you're right) the big games.

The bigger problem in CT is that we have the worst brain drain in the country. Our graduates don't stay, they leave. Before we can get them to stay invested in the program, they need to be invested in the state.

Reaction Score
The point of the article (see thread title) was to find out if schools are neglecting their next generation of season ticket holders....the students.

And it's not that they can't afford the tickets, they are buying them, and not showing up. They buy them, understanding that there is virtually no data coverage available in the stadium, knowing there will be cold/poor weather. They buy them knowing the schedule. Then they either don't show up, or show up and leave early, except for (this is where you're right) the big games.

The bigger problem in CT is that we have the worst brain drain in the country. Our graduates don't stay, they leave. Before we can get them to stay invested in the program, they need to be invested in the state.

I actually read the article. Honestly, I cut UConn students some slack. I can't imagine getting on a bus to watch my college home games a half hour away. I am impressed with the attendance that they do provide.

I never said they couldn't afford tickets. The clearly buy them and don't attend when it is inconvenient. But since it's inconvenient to begin with I cut them some slack.

I wonder if there is a way to increase data bandwidth and speed locally. Maybe get a sponsor like AT&T to move a few portable towers. It's within the realm of the possible.

Reaction Score
I never said they couldn't afford tickets..

Didn't mean to imply you did, was just stating what can be concluded by the fact we're selling the tickets and they are going unused. With all the hassles, they are still buying the tickets, and then choosing not to use them.

Other than they don't mind wasting the money for the games they don't go to, how do you fix that problem? (rhetorical question).

Improving data will help, but we aren't moving the stadium, the weather can't be controlled (unless you believe Al Gore), and the schedule is what it is, we'll never play top 25 teams every week, even if we get out of this conference.

I like Subba Bub's ideas, and some will help, but again, considering we (as a state) lose more graduates than we keep, we should really focus on improving season ticket sales for everyone else.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's a matter of ticket prices.

Look at the Super Bowl, the cold drove demand down, and a bunch of real football fans showed up.

Living in Buffalo, where the tickets are cheap, you see at least 65k fans at each and every game (capacity is 70k) and they are real fans.

Real fans with middle class jobs are being priced out in most stadiums, and when that happens, teams cut the cord with their fanbase.

You are not wrong, but ticket prices only considers one aspect of the issue on a macro-economic level. You have to consider overall value of one's disposable dollar as well as time vs. product received in return. Ticket, parking, travel, and concession costs along with the time (and aggravation) spent it takes to do all said ancillary activities plays a certain non-ignorable role as well. For instance, I've been a die hard Red Sox fan for almost 30 years. I haven't been to Fenway in almost 5 years, when I used to go to at least 10 games/season before the days of HDTV. Full disclosure: I have seen the Sox in three separate away venues since then, but I value the trip far more than the money spent to get there.

On a related note, can we stop it with in-stadium attendance as a major criteria of the "Real fan" and/or "True fan" designation? Along with the Sox example above, I consider myself a true fan of the Washington Redskins and, though I plan to at some time or another, I have not once stepped foot on the grounds of FedEx Field. I am a true fan of the UConn Men's basketball team, I've been to two games this year. I am a season ticket holder for football because what I've deemed what I pay for tickets to be equal or lesser value of the entertainment provided.

Anyway, I digress. Whether the attendee admits it or not, value is the key metric. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
True fan means a fan of the team. In other words, a non-corporate networking fan. This is what the Super Bowl is renowned for.
I get it in that context, but far too often on this Board, one is not a true fan unless they have 100% attendance off ALL local events, bowl games, and a reasonable number of away games. As if they are a lesser class of person. It's truly a first world problem of mine but it's equally irritating to me when I read a person's fandom resume' as if their attendance is authoritative support on any given issue surrounding a particular team.

Reaction Score
I get it in that context, but far too often on this Board, one is not a true fan unless they have 100% attendance off ALL local events, bowl games, and a reasonable number of away games. As if they are a lesser class of person. It's truly a first world problem of mine but it's equally irritating to me when I read a person's fandom resume' as if their attendance is authoritative support on any given issue surrounding a particular team.

Seconded.

Reaction Score

Totally agree with this statement. As soon as I graduated from UConn I became a season ticket holder. At the time I went to every home game, spring game and pretty much any event that involved UConn football. Two years later I lost my job and was unable to renew. Now I'm stuck working two jobs which makes it next to impossible to be able to get all 6 to 7 home games. Let's not even talk about trying to get time off for a bowl game. I do watch every game I can live and DVR the games I cannot. I avoid all sports updates so that I can pretend its live. I'd be insulted if someone says that I'm not a true fan because I have to work to jobs due to unfortuante circumstances.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Totally agree with this statement. As soon as I graduated from UConn I became a season ticket holder. At the time I went to every home game, spring game and pretty much any event that involved UConn football. Two years later I lost my job and was unable to renew. Now I'm stuck working two jobs which makes it next to impossible to be able to get all 6 to 7 home games. Let's not even talk about trying to get time off for a bowl game. I do watch every game I can live and DVR the games I cannot. I avoid all sports updates so that I can pretend its live. I'd be insulted if someone says that I'm not a true fan because I have to work to jobs due to unfortuante circumstances.

Then prepare to be insulted on or around April 12th when 5,000 people show and if you are not in attendance, occupation, family obligation, and anything else non-UConn related be damned.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This kills the "we need a stadium on campus" argument/excuse. The students get some of the better seats for a fraction of the cost, and they don't seem to care.

The entitlement attitude plays a part. Tickets are being sold and going unused. Which means it isn't the cost of the ticket, they don't mind wasting the money buying season tickets, and then not showing up.

One potential solution for UConn? Don't allow any of the buses back to campus to leave until the game is over.
An on campus stadium also makes for a better game day environment, especially for families. Agree regarding the bus. Make the first departure 30 minutes after game time to limit the incentive to leave early. People always set lower standards saying "you can't do this or you can't expect that" generally I think they grossly underestimate kids.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm 1000% underestimating the challenges involved in bringing a baby to the Rent. :)
I took my son 3 or 4 year old son home in the 3rd qtr form his first football game. He was done and I wanted him to associate UConn with fun rather than being overtired. It was a night game though, so bad planning may have been part of that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Hey, I've been there. I still remember listening to JC's Northeastern team carve up UConn on the radio while I was stuck at my night job. I was a still a true fan.

But that's not the point. You can be a true fan and not go to games. But no matter the reason, fans that go to games are better fans than those that don't, by definition. Especially given the metrics used to judge D-1 programs these days. That's all, no big deal. My pet peeve is the "true fans" that don't go to games putting the badmouth to those that do. We more fannies in the seats and less "true fans" like that on the couch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Make the first departure 30 minutes after game time to limit the incentive to leave early.

More like limit the incentive to go in the first place.

I took my son 3 or 4 year old son home in the 3rd qtr form his first football game. He was done and I wanted him to associate UConn with fun rather than being overtired. It was a night game though, so bad planning may have been part of that.

Good thing you didn't go by bus.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree or like this enough.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
True fan means a fan of the team. In other words, a non-corporate networking fan. This is what the Super Bowl is renowned for.

UConn, starting with Lew Perkins (and UConn is not alone of course), has done a pretty good job of alienating the non-corporate networking fan (NCNF) over the years. The problem comes after the shiny toy loses a bit of luster. I know plenty of people that used go all the time, that are still big UConn fans that will never go to another game because of the way they were treated as they got moved from good seats to nose bleed.

You can see where these hardcore NCNF's fans sit. At Gampel, they are in the 200's level, bench seat side. No matter the opponent, those seats are always pretty full while the chairback side is may be sparsely settled. At The Rent, they sit in the preferred sections around the 13 yardline like section 118. That might be the best section in the place. At any given time, the section has the highest ratio of filled seats.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Hey, I've been there. I still remember listening to JC's Northeastern team carve up UConn on the radio while I was stuck at my night job. I was a still a true fan.

But that's not the point. You can be a true fan and not go to games. But no matter the reason, fans that go to games are better fans than those that don't, by definition. Especially given the metrics used to judge D-1 programs these days. That's all, no big deal. My pet peeve is the "true fans" that don't go to games putting the badmouth to those that do. We more fannies in the seats and less "true fans" like that on the couch.

We agree on many things and we disagree on others. This is one of the things on which we do the latter. Your definition of what makes up a better fan is patently false. Also (and I'm assuming the last part of your post is directed towards me), I'm not bad mouthing fans that go to games. I am one of them. I'm critical of those who think that attendance alone gives them higher standing and constantly expound upon it. Fandom, in my view, is like money and happiness. Those who have either don't have to talk about it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
UConn, starting with Lew Perkins (and UConn is not alone of course), has done a pretty good job of alienating the non-corporate networking fan (NCNF) over the years...
This is what I'm talking about. Say a salesman purchases courtside seats for the express purpose of wining and dining potential clients. He's in a suit and $300 wingtips. He goes and invites a coworker or client to every game. He's able to write off the donation, and his smartphone is never 4 1/2 inches away from his ear. Is he a better fan than DrWho85? Me thinks not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom