College Football ~ Will next generation of fans show up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

College Football ~ Will next generation of fans show up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
DoctorWho85 said:
To me, I think the biggest problem with attendance is the fair weather fan. They are happy to go to games in September and early October, but when it gets to late October and Novemeber it's just too cold for these people. To me, these people are there to update there Facebook status or twitter accounts. THey're not there to root for the team, they're there because it makes them "look cool" to all of their friends. So once they get their 15 or 20 likes, they feel no need to stay at the game anymore. Just my opinion.

There are always fair weather fans or casual fans. Very few people actually go to every game for 20 years. The key is to have a lot of them to cover for each other.

Reaction Score
The difference between now and before is that in the old days parents had no idea that they were scrambling their sons' brains by letting them play football, and that the damage would be permanent.
I'm not so sure maybe the regular guy but FB had been played for over 90+ years in the 60s and my Dr used to chain smoke cigarettes in his office during my regular physical in the 60s too though smoking had been going on for centuries.When I grew up we played tackle w/o any sort of equipment until I was in my 20s?How often was Phil Simms sacked,cracked or otherwise abused but like other past FB stars come into our living rooms weekly seemingly doing fine? I don't have the credentials/knowledge to speak except as a layman on the subject but why then do we support the sport if its reached that level? What percentage are affected? This is way beyond my limited knowledge. I respect you're posts so I'll listen to those with more knowledge OTT than I.

Reaction Score
It's about the product, the entire product. Access, tailgate, pregame, schedule, W/L, concessions/merch, in-game entertainment, PA, post game, postgame tailgate, and traffic control.

Am I missing anything? There is not one area listed that could not be improved.

It's the #1 sport behind the NFL, it sells itself. Any lag in expected customer satisfaction is operational.

Detaining people or making it less accessible will only drive people away. The kid who buys a $7 ticket and skips the game isn't even buying a $20 ticket and still doesn't show up.

When we started this journey we acknowledged that it would take a generation of alums going to the Rent as students (and having a good time) to fill the place regularly. We had a terrific start. CR and PP have dampened the mojo and the school needs a larger alumni base in general, but the generational time line still applies.

Schools like PSU and Michigan get the attendance equivalent of 1/6 to 1/4 of their living alumni base to show up every week. That is the truest measuring stick.

IHNI, how many living alumni UConn has but if it's 200k, then 1/5th of that is 40k, which sounds about right and is a pretty strong fan base for a ten year old program.
Hey Bubba,
You hit all the main points very well. There is one other item that needs correcting
THE LINES AT HALFTIME for the mens room at the RENT are BRUTAL....please convert part (JUST PART) of each ladies bathroom to accommodate the guys....
Man, one of these daze, I'm gonna pee in my pants or stop having a few brewskies before the game...and that's not happening!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Just readmit students with a game ticket and a UCONN ID. They obviously wouldn't re-admit me with my male pattern baldness, baggy 38 year old eyes and stinking of brews and sausage. Just students. I want more students at games, not less. Raising their prices will only encourage more and more to stay back on campus and sleep through games (quite literally, I'm guessing). Keep the tickets cheap for them. Incent them to buy season tickets so keep those dirt cheap with bus passes. Students without season tickets can buy tickets at a campus box office for something like $15 and bus pass for $5-$10.

The problem with cheap tickets is they clearly don't value them. They show up late and leave early, or they don't show up at all. Read the article (again, if necessary), the price of the ticket is not keeping them away.

What's the point of selling 10,000 season tickets to students if 30% of them go unused for the season, and half of the 7,000 who show up leave early?

There are good reasons nobody is allowed re-admittance. Allowing them to come and go will result in less students in the stands at any given time because they can go out to the lot, meet friends, drink, smoke, do what students do, and then... maybe... come back.

After skimming through the thread, it seems like some people haven't even read the article. It's eye opening. One poster complained that a kid wouldn't buy a $20 ticket. He/She would if she intended on going. If they don't intend on going, why sell them the ticket? We are giving away prime seats, and the students are taking advantage and watching 2/3rds of the games they actually show up to.

Arizona had cash prizes for students at games. The prize had to be collected after the game in person, some of them went uncollected. The blue-bloods, with their "superior" product, "superior" tradition, "superior" atmosphere, etc, etc, etc, are having the same problems we have.

Reaction Score
It's about the product, the entire product. Access, tailgate, pregame, schedule, W/L, concessions/merch, in-game entertainment, PA, post game, postgame tailgate, and traffic control.

Am I missing anything? There is not one area listed that could not be improved.

It's the #1 sport behind the NFL, it sells itself. Any lag in expected customer satisfaction is operational.

Detaining people or making it less accessible will only drive people away. The kid who buys a $7 ticket and skips the game isn't even buying a $20 ticket and still doesn't show up.

When we started this journey we acknowledged that it would take a generation of alums going to the Rent as students (and having a good time) to fill the place regularly. We had a terrific start. CR and PP have dampened the mojo and the school needs a larger alumni base in general, but the generational time line still applies.

Schools like PSU and Michigan get the attendance equivalent of 1/6 to 1/4 of their living alumni base to show up every week. That is the truest measuring stick.

IHNI, how many living alumni UConn has but if it's 200k, then 1/5th of that is 40k, which sounds about right and is a pretty strong fan base for a ten year old program.

Please answer honestly, did you read the article linked by the OP?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Interesting comment from the side-bar:

>>Thomas Doochin, University of North Carolina: "People would rather stay at fraternity houses with unlimited food, booze and a big-screen TV than make the trek to the stadium... Phone service is terrible during games and it's hard to stay in touch with the world for the three hours you're in the stadium."<<

Significant shift in thinking over the past few decades... I go to games to get away from the world for three plus hours!
I want to like this because I agree that the in-home experience has surpassed and is about to lap the in-stadium experience. On the other hand I hate the trend, which makes me not want to like the post.

I think tailgating differentiates the two experiences the most and the rules need to be loosened. There needs to be a place for parents and kids (or buddies) to have a catch and/or an actual game or touch football in the Blue Lot. The parking lanes need to be spread out more so proper games of ladder ball and bean bag toss can happen without people criss-crossing under tents. Things of this nature happen would have a significant benefit to in-stadium attendance. Not being groped like an airline passenger every time I enter the stadium would help too.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure maybe the regular guy but FB had been played for over 90+ years in the 60s and my Dr used to chain smoke cigarettes in his office during my regular physical in the 60s too though smoking had been going on for centuries.When I grew up we played tackle w/o any sort of equipment until I was in my 20s?How often was Phil Simms sacked,cracked or otherwise abused but like other past FB stars come into our living rooms weekly seemingly doing fine? I don't have the credentials/knowledge to speak except as a layman on the subject but why then do we support the sport if its reached that level? What percentage are affected? This is way beyond my limited knowledge. I respect you're posts so I'll listen to those with more knowledge OTT than I.
I didn't play organized football until High School, but I played soccer from about 6 y.o. until then. Every half day in middle school we would go out to the soccer fields and play tackle football. I used to live at the end of a cul de sac with a big field at the end. Kid in my neighborhood used to play Tackle football in that field as well. What's the point? Parents can try to protect their kids all they want. If they what to play football, it's going to happen, organized or not.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
When me and Mrs. CTMike have a baby CTMike, they will be at every game from day 1.

Reaction Score
I want to like this because I agree that the in-home experience has surpassed and is about to lap the in-stadium experience. On the other hand I hate the trend, which makes me not want to like the post.

I think tailgating differentiates the two experiences the most and the rules need to be loosened. There needs to be a place for parents and kids (or buddies) to have a catch and/or an actual game or touch football in the Blue Lot. The parking lanes need to be spread out more so proper games of ladder ball and bean bag toss can happen without people criss-crossing under tents. Things of this nature happen would have a significant benefit to in-stadium attendance. Not being groped like an airline passenger every time I enter the stadium would help too.

Maybe for the students. Not for me. Watching the game at home means being locked in my room because the kids want to play Xbox, I get peppered with "can you do this please" and have to pause the TV. Going to the game means getting to tailgate and watch the entire game. People that want to spend their lives cooped up at home in front of a TV are people I don't get.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Please answer honestly, did you read the article linked by the OP?

In it's original form, before it was posted here. Basing long term decisions on current fads isn't that smart. People will always want to attend big events in person, if they are big enough.

My biggest takeaway from the entire issue (an offseason teaser article, btw) is that there is a need to expand bandwidth and multimedia capabilities in current stadiums.

Perhaps the future is a twitter cue for the next chant (#U-C-O-N-N), LED lighting by section based on decibel level, real time crowd sourced in-game entertainment. Use your imagination.

I do think the next version of Gampel should feature student/standing seating in front, followed by club/suite seating for fat cat donors so they can sit comfortably above the chaos. Topped by a mezzanine of cheaper seating (i.e. out of the TV shot). Both sides/the TV side, let the architect of record figure that one out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This student section bashing is misguided. Our student section has been excellent over the years. Not letting buses leave until the end would kill attendance.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Maybe for the students. Not for me. Watching the game at home means being locked in my room because the kids want to play Xbox, I get peppered with "can you do this please" and have to pause the TV. Going to the game means getting to tailgate and watch the entire game. People that want to spend their lives cooped up at home in front of a TV are people I don't get.

The NFL is having the same problem. They are literally programing against themselves. The Red Zone Channel, HDTVs, DVR, and fantasy football allow fans to forego the in-stadium experience, and everything that goes along with it (ancillary expense, traveling, and parking headaches) for a 50 yardline seat with commentary, instant replay, and cheap concessions. However, tailgating makes a significant difference in the in-stadium experience.

The difference between the in-arena and at-home experence is even more pronounced in basketball. Especially in the misconfigured monstrocity that is the XL Center. I went to the Memphis game on Saturday and it was great, but if my seats were any further back or if I was not with a group of really good friends, I'd rather be on my leather sectional, Mike Patrick be damned.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When me and Mrs. CTMike have a baby CTMike, they will be at every game from day 1.

A bit of a heads up.... Day 1 is brutal for football. Even at 4 my daughter can be a handful and makes concentrating on the game difficult. She got through Memphis because we sat in the sun, no way was I making her suffer through Louisville.

As for the buses, if you make it so they can't leave they won't come at all.

You can't make people sit through games, nothing is going to change that.

At for the quality of their seats they are the worst in the building.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Obviously ESPN can't write this story, but the real problem in the longterm is the school's addiction to television money.

15-20 years from now the current process of collecting tens of millions per team from contacts with cable outlets won't work.

They certainly need to improve the in stadium experience, but it's really secondary to the gravy train needing a new solution down the line.

I don't much care that my cable bill is $250, but a lot more have started caring when they understand an HD antennae, netflix and hulu gets them 90% of non sports programming for like $25 a month (it also gets you a good amount of NFL).

The cable companies can just make internet access ever more expensive. The networks don't have that ability, and if they can't spread the cost of live sports to 100 million subscribers, the model falls apart pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
In it's original form, before it was posted here. Basing long term decisions on current fads isn't that smart. People will always want to attend big events in person, if they are big enough.

My biggest takeaway from the entire issue (an offseason teaser article, btw) is that there is a need to expand bandwidth and multimedia capabilities in current stadiums.

Perhaps the future is a twitter cue for the next chant (#U-C-O-N-N), LED lighting by section based on decibel level, real time crowd sourced in-game entertainment. Use your imagination.

I do think the next version of Gampel should feature student/standing seating in front, followed by club/suite seating for fat cat donors so they can sit comfortably above the chaos. Topped by a mezzanine of cheaper seating (i.e. out of the TV shot). Both sides/the TV side, let the architect of record figure that one out.

All great ideas.

You're coming to conclusions that don't make sense based on the article, but it's not worth debating.

Reaction Score
This student section bashing is misguided. Our student section has been excellent over the years. Not letting buses leave until the end would kill attendance.

I'll remember this the next time I watch 3/4 of them leave at the end of the 3rd quarter of a 1 possession game.

Our student section is excellent for night games not played the Thursday before Labor Day (a time slot I wouldn't suggest changing anyway).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm 1000% underestimating the challenges involved in bringing a baby to the Rent. :)
I'm gonna bring my now 18 month old daughter to the Spring Game in April. I'll let ya know if it's easy or not! I will say, having our daughter has ended our season ticket purchases for a bit as leaving our kid 7 times a fall for a full day at a time is not something we can do as our parents both live out of state. Once our daughter, and soon to be daughter in July, get a bit older, we'll be there in full force!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't much care that my cable bill is $250, but a lot more have started caring when they understand an HD antennae, netflix and hulu gets them 90% of non sports programming for like $25 a month (it also gets you a good amount of NFL).
More and more people that I talk to have done this or are close to doing it. We watch tons of sports in our house so giving up cable hasn't been something we've considered because while ESPN3 is ok, you can't get a lot of NFL football like redzone, at least that's what we've heard from a lot of our friends. I think cable is going to have its day sooner rather than later as hulu, netflix, and other services are the easiest and cheapest source to get everything you can get on cable to 1/10 of the price.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm gonna bring my now 18 month old daughter to the Spring Game in April. I'll let ya know if it's easy or not! I will say, having our daughter has ended our season ticket purchases for a bit as leaving our kid 7 times a fall for a full day at a time is not something we can do as our parents both live out of state. Once our daughter, and soon to be daughter in July, get a bit older, we'll be there in full force!

Spring game works pretty well with kids. Usually decent weather, they have some bouncy house type crap and it usually over in like 90 minutes. No bathroom lines, plus they can run around on the field after.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I got fed up with time Warner and other cable companies so I got rid of it and got Netflix.

The only things I need and absolutely can't miss are UConn basketball/ football, and the giants. Between espn3, Over the air Fox and the occasional stream on the ininternet that I play on my tv I don't miss any games.

I really only get screwed out of regular season Yankees games but even those you can stream on sites online.

Reaction Score
Having read thoroughly, each of the proceeding posts, I have to concur with many of your thoughts. At the surface, you all have valid points for reasonings behind the decrease in interest among students on many campuses, if not most campuses across the country. I was struck by Ivan Maisel's candidness in not understanding why a younger generation isn't going to the stadium citing a general 5% decrease in interest across the country. Interesting topic in the off-season.

Like all of you on this board, I love college sports, actually...eat, sleep & live for it and enjoyed playing years ago, but.... let's take a step back and look at the topic - not from the myopic world of ESPN - but from a much more broad view.
When we do, perhaps greater understanding MIGHT explain the forces shaping college campuses. I find Maisel's comments and posture, perhaps fundamentally flawed from the outset- not surprising!!

1) The basic business model of higher education has changed in the last ten years. Faced with rising costs, schools must look to those students that are considered full pay - not receiving academic scholarships and grants. In the last ten years, many schools have seen a dramatic rise in foreign students that can pay the full tuition outright not putting a drain on university coffers. Many schools, if not most, as early as 2008, saw an 8 to 10% increase in foreign students over the last decade. The trend continues. IMO, logically, your base sample of interest has changed....and if your base has changed-you MIGHT experience a paradigm shift in other areas...like student interest in attending an event they have no or little interest.

2) The competitive academic nature of schools and the students has spiked due to the economic costs of attending school. IMO, perhaps greater attention to the rigors given the costs of attending...less efforts made by students to take time in attending a time consuming event that might limit academic achievement. Outstanding schools like UCONN, have a high number of achievement oriented students. you might or MAY find them in attendance in September or October....but interest will wane as the semester enters the beginning of November and beyond.
Reasonably expected. There are many students now attending that have never experienced anything less than a 4.0 .....

3) Without sparking controversy, you might find that in the last 12 years, a change in demographics of students attending schools. Eneough said (too political)....will not go beyond that....

4) As schools have faced increased costs as well as competing for the best students and their wallets, students have travelled greater distances to attend schools. Private (and public) universities will find greater numbers of students outside their immediate geographic footprint. With that in mind, attendees at schools MIGHT have less interest in VIEWING the athletics of a school they are attending.-than a team or school closer to their geographic home that they have followed during their growing years.

The greater question(s) have to be asked:
a) How do you compel a student population that might not have an interest to start...statement not a question.
b)How do you motivate, market and sell to, in UCONN's case, a built in base of alumni within 90 minutes of athletic venues and that can afford the price of low cost entertainment...statement not a question to supplement student inaction.
c) When do you stop looking to your students and start looking to your regional Alumni, family, friends and a new legion of fans....statement not a question.
d) How do you cross market into other areas....statement - not a question.

The greater statement should be made to all universities : IF....IF ...IF there are greater medians to push your product, event and venue, perhaps the delivery of the message is flawed.
Sustained growth is not achieved through limiting tactics (close the gates, stop the bus caravan,) as some have hinted but through elimination of barriers to entry.

At UCONN, we sit on the precipice of something truly great and unique. There is an untapped silent market that is waiting, unlike other schools and universities. In 2 threads, we had close to 15,000 views regarding an assistant coaching hire and an inadvertant statement. That tells me interest among all of you is keen, smart and highly interested. We can accept limiting cerebral (small brain) ESPN viewpoints expressed by Mr. Maisel or find greater solutions to a common good and rise above the perceived malaise......15,000 views tells me otherwise that it is there....191 days to BYU.

Last edited:

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
There have been many studies of the way the next generations will change from the present. GENERALIZATIONS include...

How they approach jobs and work (more work-life balance)
How they approach religion (less emphasis)
How they approach housing (moving back to the cities)

How they approach sports has got to also be a part of that.

To ColtHouse75's point, the university will need to build in the student population that desire to see the game live. Any and all games on campus, not just football on our board, but hockey, both basketball teams, both soccer teams, baseball and the rest of our athletic department.

Why? Because these are the donors of tomorrow. They need to show up at the university with the diversity they bring, the school needs to germinate in them the desire to support athletics because that is the unifying nugget that we have. Then, as Alumni, they will be able to identify with their university success while they are successful as well, and they will probably become donors of some sort.

I don't focus solely on football in this case as I think the future is clear enough. With pending decisions on unionization, stipends and the break off of the higher tier programs, college football could turn into semi-pro football and I haven't thought about what that will mean to it's student interest.

Husky25

Reaction Score
A football game is an all day affair and the lack of ease to get out of the parking lot when all the tents are set up dissuaded my wife and I from bringing my son (turned 1yo. last August.) We did take him to a Rock Cats game though. I suppose he loved it. He didn't cry and we stayed the whole game, but he's a happy kid anyway, so who can tell. He'll be 20 months old by the time the Spring game rolls around so we might try it, weather depending.
I'm 1000% underestimating the challenges involved in bringing a baby to the Rent. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate