College Basketball Discussion 11.13-11.19 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

College Basketball Discussion 11.13-11.19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Very wild. Tyler Harris, a freshman, took the game to OT with 3 straight free throws.
That was a good Yale team that blew out Cal.

Definitely should have won this game too.

Reaction Score
What a game so far!

USF has been surprising. Lang and Rideau have been very good transfers who give veteran stability to add to their good young talent with their sophomores David Collins, Justin Brown, Mayan Kiir and Alexis Yetna. Tons of size.

David Collins is legit. Combine his strong 6'3 frame and his fearlessness and you have a heck of a lead guard. Loved how he took over the game in the last five minutes. Got lucky with his "slip" into the driving bank shot, but he's a very good college player.

First time watching Akinjo. Very sloppy early on, but impressive late in the game. He's got a bulldog mentality. Govan had a heck of a half too.

Hope USF finishes this game strong!

Reaction Score
Akinjo with a 3 forces OT.
Lang put the ball in a millisecond after the buzzer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What a game so far!

USF has been surprising. Lang and Rideau have been very good transfers who give veteran stability to add to their good young talent with their sophomores David Collins, Justin Brown, Mayan Kiir and Alexis Yetna. Tons of size.

David Collins is legit. Combine his strong 6'3 frame and his fearlessness and you have a heck of a lead guard. Loved how he took over the game in the last five minutes. Got lucky with his "slip" into the driving bank shot, but he's a very good college player.

First time watching Akinjo. Very sloppy early on, but impressive late in the game. He's got a bulldog mentality. Govan had a heck of a half too.

Hope USF finishes this game strong!

75-73 2 secs left in OT

Very good game. I suspect USF finishes higher this year,

Reaction Score

Damn so close.

The AAC is on the heals of the C7 Big East this year in terms of league quality. The AAC dregs are much improved over what they were two years ago. Good coaches at USF, ECU, Tulane and of course UCONN make a huge difference.

I expect SMU might be looking to upgrade at year's end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Shockers are tied with Alabama right now. 69-69
Remember the name Dexter Dennis. The Shox are playing with a lot more confidence right now than they did in the Providence game.

Reaction Score
Wichita gets edged out by Bama.
The surprising part is how cohesive Marshall has them playing compared to earlier in the year. That PG seems like a different player.
Now its not just the McDuffie Haynes-Jones show.
The lumps they take now will make them hard to deal with come January.
Like all Marshall teams, they're now hitting the boards hard and effectively.

Reaction Score
Wichita gets edged out by Bama.
The surprising part is how cohesive Marshall has them playing compared to earlier in the year. That PG seems like a different player.
Now its not just the McDuffie Haynes-Jones show.
The lumps they take now will make them hard to deal with come January.
Like all Marshall teams, they're now hitting the boards hard and effectively.
Alabama was just housed by Northeastern. Wichita State is 2-3, with losses to Davidson (just blown out by Purdue) and Louisiana Tech. They have wins against Providence and Appalachian State by a combined 9 points. Appalachian State's only win is against DII Mars Hill...

To characterize these opening five games as anything other than a disaster for them is a absurd. It was so bad that they essentially need to win the remainder of the OOC to even be on the bubble.

Reaction Score
Alabama was just housed by Northeastern. Wichita State is 2-3, with losses to Davidson (just blown out by Purdue) and Louisiana Tech. They have wins against Providence and Appalachian State by a combined 9 points. Appalachian State's only win is against DII Mars Hill...

To characterize these opening five games as anything other than a disaster for them is a absurd. It was so bad that they essentially need to win the remainder of the OOC to even be on the bubble.

They don't even have Teddy Allen yet and they essentially only have 2 guys (3 if you count the big Swede that hardly plays) that played Major college basketball before this year.

I don't know what you were expecting.

The Providence win, and further opportunities down the road with perhaps Teddy Allen to sprinkle in with a rapidly improving team is actually pretty solid and on an expedited schedule, imo.

Did you watch the game today?

Reaction Score
Its early but to me the teams in the American that realistically have a shot so far for the tournament are out of the following group: UConn, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, Temple and Houston. UCF already has a bad loss on their resume, and Cincinnati lost a home game. These teams though play enough good teams OOC that they have a chance. Big East is down big this year so there will be some extra bids out there.

SMU has eliminated itself with 2 bad home losses (I know they don't have Foster but still) and Witchia, while young, has 3 losses before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They don't even have Teddy Allen yet and they essentially only have 2 guys (3 if you count the big Swede that hardly plays) that played Major college basketball before this year.

I don't know what you were expecting.

The Providence win, and further opportunities down the road with perhaps Teddy Allen to sprinkle in with a rapidly improving team is actually on an expedited schedule, imo.
I didn't expect anything else. I didn't think they'd be good, and right now they aren't.

I like that you are rah-rah for the conference, I guess, but if I read your post without context I'd have thought Shocker fans should be pretty ecstatic losing valiantly against a good Alabama team. Instead, they lost to a bad team, after losing to a mediocre/bad team, after losing to Louisiana Tech already, who may be king of the CUSA hobos, but is nothing but a drag on their resume. It's that contrast between what happened, what was expected, and how you presented it, that led me to post.

Oh, and @BFieldHusky ld is right on his conference assessment.

Reaction Score
Its early but to me the teams in the American that realistically have a shot so far for the tournament are out of the following group: UConn, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis and Houston. UCF already has a bad loss on their resume, and Cincinnati lost a home game. These teams though play enough good teams OOC that they have a chance. Big East is down big this year so there will be some extra bids out there.

SMU has eliminated itself with 2 bad home losses (I know they don't have Foster but still) and Witchia, while young, has 3 losses before Thanksgiving.

Temple will be in the post-season somewhere. They've already beaten Georgia and have a very good guard group.

Reaction Score
Its early but to me the teams in the American that realistically have a shot so far for the tournament are out of the following group: UConn, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis and Houston. UCF already has a bad loss on their resume, and Cincinnati lost a home game. These teams though play enough good teams OOC that they have a chance. Big East is down big this year so there will be some extra bids out there.

FAU is a disaster of a loss. They just won the fight of their lives against Incarnate Word...

UCF has to win out OOC, including Mizzou and Bama. They might be able to lose one of them, but they lost their wiggle room.

Beating Ohio State would have been nice for Cincy, but it's not a bad loss and there are other good teams on the schedule.

Reaction Score

The conference is really weak this year.

Reaction Score
FAU is a disaster of a loss. They just won the fight of their lives against Incarnate Word...

UCF has to win out OOC, including Mizzou and Bama. They might be able to lose one of them, but they lost their wiggle room.

Beating Ohio State would have been nice for Cincy, but it's not a bad loss and there are other good teams on the schedule.
UCF is definitely on thin ice. They need to win tonight and then at least split those two games like you said.

Memphis and Temple play good OOC schedules. We have our opportunities. Cincy still has some chances. Houston doesn't have a huge margin of error, but they play BYU and Oregon.

Reaction Score
The conference is really weak this year.
Well, in a weird way it will probably be "better" because the bottom teams have some signs of life. If USF and ECU not be among the worst 100 teams in the country, all the RPIs of the conference will rise.

Reaction Score
I like that you are rah-rah for the conference, I guess, but if I read your post without context I'd have thought Shocker fans should be pretty ecstatic losing valiantly against a good Alabama team.

Again... Are you watching the games?
It has nothing to do with rah rah anything.
They played much better today than they did against Providence.
If you really enjoy basketball and the process that goes into a season, then you don't see everything through the lens of March.
When you see a bunch of kids that used to play very jittery, all of a sudden start to confidently make plays and play together, it's fun to watch.
You have my permission to be disappointed. A win would have been fun but so is the prospect of knowing that the wins will come. If I were a WSU fan, that's the lens I'd be using - and I'd appreciate what I have in Gregg Marshall. After watching Patrick Ewing today, Wichita fans have a lot to be thankful for.

Reaction Score
Well, in a weird way it will probably be "better" because the bottom teams have some signs of life. If USF and ECU not be among the worst 100 teams in the country, all the RPIs of the conference will rise.
I agree with that but incredibly weak at the top, we should have a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom