College Basketball Discussion 11.13-11.19 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

College Basketball Discussion 11.13-11.19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Again... Are you watching the games?
It has nothing to do with rah rah anything.
They played much better today than they did against Providence.
If you really enjoy basketball and the process that goes into a season, then you don't see everything through the lens of March.
When you see a bunch of kids that used to play very jittery, all of a sudden start to confidently make plays and play together, it's fun to watch.
You have my permission to be disappointed. A win would have been fun but so is the prospect of knowing that the wins will come. If I were a WSU fan, that's the lens I'd be using - and I'd appreciate what I have in Gregg Marshall. After watching Patrick Ewing today, Wichita fans have a lot to be thankful for.

You're definitely painting their performance this year in a far rosier light than it deserves. It's nice that they're clicking and gelling, but that doesn't change the fact that they've performed poorly against mediocre competition thus far -- those are actually two separate phenomena.

Reaction Score
If you really enjoy basketball and the process that goes into a season, then you don't see everything through the lens of March.
When you see a bunch of kids that used to play very jittery, all of a sudden start to confidently make plays and play together, it's fun to watch.
You have my permission to be disappointed. A win would have been fun but so is the prospect of knowing that the wins will come. If I were a WSU fan, that's the lens I'd be using - and I'd appreciate what I have in Gregg Marshall. After watching Patrick Ewing today, Wichita fans have a lot to be thankful for.
That's nice and a cool sentiment for someone who's a fan of the team to have. But these are bad losses come March, and what will ultimately keep the team out of the tournament

Reaction Score
Got to watch Campbell and Chris Clemons on CBSSN. Incredibly fun player to watch. Even at 5'9, there was a play where he took the ball coast-to-coast and posterized Austin Peay.

Reaction Score
You're definitely painting their performance this year in a far rosier light than it deserves. It's nice that they're clicking and gelling, but that doesn't change the fact that they've performed poorly against mediocre competition thus far -- those are actually two separate phenomena.

Not really, when some were wondering what Marshall really had in a lot of recruits that weren't considered blue chips.
Bama has been picking much higher up on the tree and the guys in Black definitely didn't back down an inch.
Udeze and Echinique will be a problem for the next few years. They will own the paint.
Dennis is a future NBA guy.
Burton has the poise you'd look for in a Junior.
Stevenson has to be more of a sniper but it's easy to see why LSU was after him.
This game, Torres really won me over. Prototypical point.. but early on I wondered if it was a wasted ship.

Beyond all that is the realization that Wichita likely wins every game if they have Teddy Buckets. They lost those games because their seniors McDuffie and Haynes-Jones went cold. Theyve needed Teddy

Reaction Score

My response is best summed up by:

That's nice and a cool sentiment for someone who's a fan of the team to have. But these are bad losses come March, and what will ultimately keep the team out of the tournament

Again, I'm glad you're excited, and I'm glad the team is coming together.

But you prettied up a corpse. If they want to be in the NCAAs, this essentially amputated their feet. They can still do it, I guess.

Reaction Score
Not really, when some were wondering what Marshall really had in a lot of recruits that weren't considered blue chips.
Bama has been picking much higher up on the tree and the guys in Black definitely didn't back down an inch.
Udeze and Echinique will be a problem for the next few years. They will own the paint.
Stevenson has to be more of a sniper but it's easy to see why LSU was after him.
This game, Torres really won me over. Prototypical point.. but early on I wondered if it was a wasted ship.

Beyond all that is the realization that Wichita likely wins every game if they have Teddy Buckets.
Alabama vs. Northeastern - Game Summary - November 15, 2018 - ESPN

Reaction Score
Alabama was just housed by Northeastern. Wichita State is 2-3, with losses to Davidson (just blown out by Purdue) and Louisiana Tech. They have wins against Providence and Appalachian State by a combined 9 points. Appalachian State's only win is against DII Mars Hill...

To characterize these opening five games as anything other than a disaster for them is a absurd. It was so bad that they essentially need to win the remainder of the OOC to even be on the bubble.
Davidson should get blown out by Purdue.
Doesn’t say a lot about Wichita State, though.

Reaction Score
Davidson should get blown out by Purdue.
Doesn’t say a lot about Wichita State, though.
In good years Davidson can beat low-end Top 25 teams, in which case WSU's loss wouldn't look so bad.

After the game against Purdue, it seems like this isn't one of those years.

Reaction Score

Too early to say yet if Bama is a bad loss.
No one here is claiming the Shockers will be dancing. Just giving credit where its due. Marshall still has the magic eye.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Beyond all that is the realization that Wichita likely wins every game if they have Teddy Buckets. They lost those games because their seniors McDuffie and Haynes-Jones went cold. Theyve needed Teddy

We're completely talking past one another. How good their players will be in the future doesn't have anything to do with their objectively poor play these first five games. One does not disprove the other.

Reaction Score
We're completely talking past one another. How good their players will be in the future doesn't have anything to do with their objectively poor play these first five games. One does not disprove the other.

It's relevant because UConn will play WSU at some point... and whether or not Wichita can make the tournament at that point is irrelevant. The question that should be on everyones mind is whether they will be tournament quality... because that's where it impacts UConn. That team (especially with Allen and Marshall) can easily be tournament quality at that time.

Reaction Score
USF isn’t horrible this year. They coulda shoulda won that game. Their size will give us some problems.
We will be talking about Akinjo for 4 years. He’s still only 17 but has that it factor. He makes the usual freshman pg mistakes but he’s exciting to watch and has already proved he’s clutch.

Reaction Score
Great ending to Indiana/Arkansas. Love Gafford's fire. He'll be a heck of a NBA player, reminds me a lot of Tyson Chandler with his size, length, athleticism, defense and intensity.

Reaction Score
I'm glad UCF won. It's possible sneaks into the RPI Top 50 by years' end, but by no means assured, and a loss would look bad. WKU got smoked by the only other low end Top 35 team they played.

Reaction Score
In good years Davidson can beat low-end Top 25 teams, in which case WSU's loss wouldn't look so bad.

After the game against Purdue, it seems like this isn't one of those years.
I get that they’re a solid team. But Purdue is, I believe, better and should be. And I think Matt Painter is a great coach.

Reaction Score
I'm glad UCF won. It's possible sneaks into the RPI Top 50 by years' end, but by no means assured, and a loss would look bad. WKU got smoked by the only other low end Top 35 team they played.

WKU also beat #13 West Virginia.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Va Tech-Purdue coming down the stretch on ESPN2, been an extremely fun watch.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Tulane is all over South Dakota State early up 16-8 at the first TV timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads