Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo

Reaction Score
He's not an "elite" passer. Again, there's an example of folks here crowning him. Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6

He needs to work on his D. "Flashes?" Maybe. He couldn't get off the court without fouling too much last year, and many of those fouls were unnecessary and way too far from the basket. He averaged more fouls per game last year than points.

Does he currently have a role? Yes. Can it increase? Yes. Can it decrease? yes.
I'd say Andre has excellent court vision and he is a good passer. I think his turnover percentages are that way because he too ofter tries to thread the needle and make the high degree of difficulty pass too often. He needs to curtail that for sure.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Did you see Jax's stats I just posted from last year? He's also a liability on D. He's not a better passer. And are you even watching these games? Eye test fails as well.

3 point % was .118
More fouls per game than points - 2.8/2.7
Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6
He passes the eye test with flying colors. If you look at statistics you'll see Polley is average at best. Go through each individual game and look at Polley's statistics. He had two big games that brought up his scoring average. He had several games of 0's across the board. Jackson also missed ~4 games. No one expects him to score like they do Polley, but he does a lot more on both ends

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
it's not very versatile when whaley gives you 2 pts and 1 reb as the starting PF that's for sure
He is also our best defender. He'll probably average 6 and 8

Reaction Score
He is also our best defender. He'll probably average 6 and 8
that would be great but so far it's 5 and 2 against the softest of cupcakes. akok has totally eclipsed him by comparison thus far.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jackson is absolutely terrified to shoot the ball. If Gaffney continues to fill it up AJ will see his minutes drop significantly.

He can almost read AJ’s mind. “Everyone thinks I can’t shoot. If I do shoot they’ll know it.”

Per my previous post in this thread, I think our shooting isn’t dire as most do, but that is with Gaffney on the floor.
Agreed. As of now Gaff is lighting it up. Gaffney would take Polleys minutes

Reaction Score
Do you think Polley should play over him?
Actually I don't think either Polley or Jackson deserve alot of playing time at the moment - even while we wait to see Hawkins. Polley can't play decent defense and Dre has no offensive game to speak of - he is even missing gimme layups! And while Dre dibbles around the perimeter, defenses collapse and double/triple team in the paint. Even in limited action, Diggins looks more comfortable with the ball than Dre does.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jackson still hasn’t shown me he can’t shoot, he just chooses to not shoot. Jury is still out on him, but my god I hope he figures it out.

Reaction Score
After 2 games I'd like to see the rotation look something like this. Can trim down to 9 come Big East play, and maybe Akok takes over the starting 4 spot or Hawkins the starting 2 spot by then too

PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (10), Diggins (5)
SG: Gaffney (15), Hawkins (20), Jackson (5)
SF: Martin (15), Jackson (15), Polley (10)
PF: Whaley (10), Akok (20), Martin (5), Johnson (5)
C: Sanogo (25), Whaley (15)
Martin only getting 20 minutes and Cole 25? Not going to happen even in your best dreams. They both will be on the court for 30 plus minutes when the big games come up. Those 2 and Sanogo are integral parts of our success,.

Reaction Score
Enjoy your night my friend. You will be hearing from me after every game. I hope my critiques of Ajax become incorrect. I will gladly admit if I'm wrong...I don't think you will though.
You’re weird man lol

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Martin only getting 20 minutes and Cole 25? Not going to happen even in your best dreams. They both will be on the court for 30 plus minutes when the big games come up. Those 2 and Sanogo are integral parts of our success,.
Yeah Hurley just confirmed as much in his presser. Said he expects RJ, Sanogo and Terese to each be playing 32-33 minutes or more by Atlantis.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
arguing about akok being the starting SF is not a debate it's an embarrassment for all involved
That one comment was an aside to the debate. Scroll back more. We were talking bout Ajax. And I misspoke about Akok replacing Ajax. Apologies. It'll be Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Jackson has to start shooting the three or at least drive midrange otherwise teams will sag deep into the paint
Agreed, these are the games that he should take more 3's. AJax is one of those players that offers way more in other parts of the game. He is a difference maker.
Agree. I would almost say after two games, Hawkins, Polley and Jackson are three bodies fighting for two players' minutes.
Nope, Jackson is going to get his minutes. Polley is so far the same Polly. Hawkins, though he has not played yet, he will be very a very special player. Not sure if you have watched videos of his HS games or tournament play and compare Ray Allen's games at that point in his life and you might see the light.

Seriously this thread makes me laugh. There is a post prior to the season RJ to slow, low level D1, ugh! Now he's hmm ok and should be off point. RJ has bb IQ and is tough he belongs right were he is at UC bb level and where ever DH seems fit to put him depending on who is on the court with him.
Sanogo is a Beast you say. Yes he has dominated CCSU and Coppin St and he should for LIU. Let's just temper down the enthusiasm you have right now. Sanogo no doubt has greatly improved but until he matches up with players of his size and caliber you should see a slight lesser beast.

@XLCenterFan, wow, you must be in the casual fan section of the game regarding AJax. I guess, coaches, analysts and scouts don't know what they talking about regarding him or can't see what other things he offers on the court. Yes, his shot is a work in progress. It has gotten (form) better since last year.

Reaction Score
This lineup was on point today.

It's a natural lineup.

Cole can score and pass as necessary. No pressure to run the team and look for his shot.

Gaff can be the point guard and just add scoring as needed. His 3 point shot has looked sharp both games.

Martin is a better 3 than he is a 2 or 4. Can slash, rebound and will get good open looks where he is a decent shooter.

Akok is the stretch four. A pair of 3's, a heckuva catch and dunk and just gets to be the energy guy.

Sanogo is a beast.

Would love to see this lineup for about 20 mpg.

Whaley is still lost as the 4 with Sanogo. And he is noticeably less skilled as a back to basket post player than Sanogo and noticeably worse than Akok as the face up stretch 4. He can still get 20 minutes.

Jackson. Anyone who thought he was going to be a decent or semi respectable shooter can pocket those comments until Sep 2022. He has zero confidence and seemingly zero desire to shoot a J. He is still a beast on defense in passing lanes and defensive rebounding but his man to man D was less than stellar.

Polley. We know this yo yo ride with him. If his shot isn't falling, he's not going to contribute elsewhere.

Diggins and Johnson looked more comfortable today than they did game one. Springs looked more relaxed too.

If Gaff, Cole and Martin continue to play like this Hawkins is going to max out around 15 minutes.
Great post. I’m a little late to the thread but I think this lineup is a manifestation of Hurley pre-season alluding to a pretty short rotation; the lineup does appear fairly complete and well-rounded for winning in college. You sub and keep in Polley if he’s hot; Jackson if we want to go a little bigger and athletic; Whaley for more defense. Then you sprinkle in the younger guys

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agreed, these are the games that he should take more 3's. AJax is one of those players that offers way more in other parts of the game. He is a difference maker.

Nope, Jackson is going to get his minutes. Polley is so far the same Polly. Hawkins, though he has not played yet, he will be very a very special player. Not sure if you have watched videos of his HS games or tournament play and compare Ray Allen's games at that point in his life and you might see the light.

Seriously this thread makes me laugh. There is a post prior to the season RJ to slow, low level D1, ugh! Now he's hmm ok and should be off point. RJ has bb IQ and is tough he belongs right were he is at UC bb level and where ever DH seems fit to put him depending on who is on the court with him.
Sanogo is a Beast you say. Yes he has dominated CCSU and Coppin St and he should for LIU. Let's just temper down the enthusiasm you have right now. Sanogo no doubt has greatly improved but until he matches up with players of his size and caliber you should see a slight lesser beast.

@XLCenterFan, wow, you must be in the casual fan section of the game regarding AJax. I guess, coaches, analysts and scouts don't know what they talking about regarding him or can't see what other things he offers on the court. Yes, his shot is a work in progress. It has gotten (form) better since last year.
Make no mistake: Sanogo is a beast. He will be neutralized only by doubling him; by the end of the season I suspect you’ll need a big-to-big double like we did on Elton Brand in the ’99 NC game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Make no mistake: Sanogo is a beast. He will be neutralized only by doubling him; by the end of the season I suspect you’ll need a big-to-big double like we did on Elton Brand in the ’99 NC game.
Agree. Beast is a good title for him. He's going to be a problem for teams all year, now 'til March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom