Cochran | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cochran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've said this a few times. He looked awful in the spring game, but he was always coming off he wrist injury and probably wasn't through working out the kinks off that.

Clearly Boyle has a "bigger" arm. And I'm glad we saw him play. But now we have seen them both, and Cochran is a better "quarterback" at this point. Cochran reminds me of Pennington in some ways. Smart, accurate, and if he can't throw the deep ball as well? I don't care. I'll take an excellent short-mid range passing game like today and ride it to an AAC championship!!

Reaction Score
“@NHRJimFuller: Casey Cochran now with 425 passing yards, second highest total in school history”

445 is record

“@NHRJimFuller: Casey Cochran is also second all-time at #UConn with 34 completions in a game”

39 is record.

Both held by Danny O

Edit:
“@peatonrobb: Cochran sets school record for passing with 461 yards. Davis has school receiving record with 15 catches for 207 yards.”

Would a PP coached team make 34 pass attempts a season?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
...are we gonna end up with Weist?

I mean I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing either.

The only thing that will ever make other possible coaching choices totally irrelevant is if the next guy goes unbeaten. Otherwise, we'll never know if someone else could have been better. In the meantime, Cochran doesn't look flukey. I know he had a couple of TD passes in garbage time, but he was still sharp even than. Game time performance will be hard for the coqach, whoever it turns out to be, to ignore when next year's starter is named. BTW, McCummings supposedly is back next year and maybe there is a role for him, not necessarily in his old role, because he's big and a decent runner. Could be a lot of choices. Of course next year, the D will be doing some retooling. The pass rush needs to improve a lot to help the D backs.

F

fortebleedsblue

Clearly Boyle has a "bigger" arm. And I'm glad we saw him play. But now we have seen them both, and Cochran is a better "quarterback" at this point. Cochran reminds me of Pennington in some ways. Smart, accurate, and if he can't throw the deep ball as well? I don't care. I'll take an excellent short-mid range passing game like today and ride it to an AAC championship!!

I will take accuracy any day and we can't down play Casey's arm strength .. This game and last he threw a few darts. The problem with PP and I'd even say Weist to a degree was the lack of cross routes....too much thrown out wide far down the field where the catch either went out of bounds or was over thrown. Now the offense is unpredictable and fun to watch because CC has proven to be an accurate passer.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Casey. The receivers were great today and the o-line did a nice job as well. TJ deserves a lot of credit for this too.

Reaction Score
I posted this on Dec. 3 , 2011:

"I do see some similarities with Cochran and Kellen Moore in that they are about the same size, both Moore and Cochran have fathers who coach, both are known for accuracy and both won Gatorade player of the year in their respective states. Just wanted to point out that Moore and Landry Jones redshirted their freshman years. If Cochran is as good as Moore, I like our future."

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/mcentee-to-start-next-year.8268/page-2

Two years ago, that was a big "if." After what I saw from Casey at the Rent over the past two games, that big "if" is getting smaller.

Reaction Score
If Casey was a hockey player we'd refer to him as the antithesis of what is called a "Practice Player." I don't care that the competition was weak. How many 80+ yd drives does he have vs how many we've had in last 5 years? How many 3rd down conversions does he have vs our avg over last 5 years? He's a gamer plain and simple.

Reaction Score
If Casey was a hockey player we'd refer to him as the antithesis of what is called a "Practice Player." I don't care that the competition was weak. How many 80+ yd drives does he have vs how many we've had in last 5 years? How many 3rd down conversions does he have vs our avg over last 5 years? He's a gamer plain and simple.
That drive at the end of the first half is just not something were used to at UConn.

Reaction Score
Weist went with Boyle as well. All the Husky fans who saw Cochran play at the Spring game reported he was wildly inaccurate. Not the same QB. Which makes sense: young kids develop in college.

He was inaccurate in SMU game but really seems to have gotten comfortable with each game. You can really see the improvement with him in each of the four games he has start. Really poised now on drop backs and roll outs. The era of the UConn Run and Shoot is upon us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am being very real. IMO Casey is clearly The Franchise for the next three years. It's as clear as day.

Johnny Football is over, it's now "Casey Football".

Yep and Boyle was never going to allow anyone else to start for 3.5 years.

Reaction Score
It was an incredible performance. UCONN went out to destroy Memphis and they accomplished their goal. But a 425 yard passing game is insane. Unreal!

Update: 463 passing yards, single game UConn record.

Reaction Score
Yep and Boyle was never going to allow anyone else to start for 3.5 years.

There is a big difference. With Boyle we were just looking at raw talent and trying to project what he could become, with Casey we don't need to project, he's already performing at a high level.

TD passes in six straight games is not a fluke, and Casey is winning with his brain, that will not suddenly go away, it actually seems to be getting better every week.

Reaction Score
Update: 463 passing yards, single game UConn record.

watching NFL channel and PATS channels this week..both emphasizing what it takes to play at the QB position; smarts, quick thinking, football mind that takes years to matriculate,
extremely accurate short and mid range, leadership and respect. Though last 3 opponents weren't UCF and CINCY, a reds shirt frosh just sets an all time single season record....his decisions, quick release,
football acumen for 18 years "learning under a football coach "father". has leadership and demonstrates abilities far in excess of few red shirts...Go CASEY....

Reaction Score
There's one more thing. When we (my wife and 2 grandsons) were sitting freezing in the cold during halftime at Temple---and you can imagine what the vote was on leaving---the team came back out and it was my wife who noticed that Casey was walking up and down the bench animatedly exhorting his offensive teammates--yelling, hitting their helmets, poking at their chests ---being a vocal and demonstrative leader. That leadership which begets confidence was somehow missing during most of the year. Vocal leadership can ring hollow if the performance is poor, but when the game starts to click, it's indispensable. CC has that leadership gene and it has helped this team turn it around at season's end.

Reaction Score
BTW Tim Boyle was predicted to be the starter next season on a local afternoon FM radio sports show Thursday. Haven't seen this mentioned/discussed on the board yet.

Reaction Score
BoatShow said:
Who ever called the screen to McCombs on 4th and 1 when everyone in the stadium thought a rush to Max was coming is the new headcoach. Even if it was Casey.
Or, Day?

Reaction Score
Not to toot my own horn, but I never understood why Boyle got a shot before Cochran. Made no sense to me.

Really happy for him as a fellow Masuk alum, and for the Huskies who finally appear to have a viable QB.
It may have been due to the fact that Chandler Whitmer is about the same height. Since UCONN was running for the most part a Pro style offense vs. Spread (Which is the reason why Tim Boyle left BC). Chandler got a number of passes batted down as a starter. I believe the team wanted to show a different
look. Casey's broken wrist also set him back. The silver lining in all that is Casey kind of assumed a coaching mentality and learned the playbook. He got to see what was and wasn't working. Being an attentive bystander allows for a different perspective and learning experience. Of course there is no substitute for getting out there in live action. UCONN is going into 2014 with three experienced quarterbacks. Obviously Casey is far and away the lead dog right now. With injuries and such, Tim Boyle's experience will prove to be very valuable. TJ now knows what it takes to succeed at this level. Chandler, if he stays will be one of the best 3rd string quarterbacks in the country! It will be interesting to see what happens to Kevon Taylor.

Reaction Score
Casey is ahead obviously but Boyle still has great upside. We need both and they should continue to grow and compete. Casey showed why he was more ready to take the lead albeit against inferior competition and with a group that had begun to improve during a tough transition. And we will continue to jump on and off each banwagon based on the last game played.

Reaction Score
The X-factor for this season has been Casey Cochran. Father said son is underappreciated at UConn. Son proved him right. As some say, GDL ran the o-line into the ground and the helped cause chaos on the offense faster. TJ simply regrouped the players. Towards the end of the Louisville game, I was standing by the UConn sideline and barely anyone was there, and I was yelling "Casey! Casey! Casey...!" at Weist. He heard and had the look of a mad scientist on his face. You're welcome. Let the stats speak for themselves. Casey as the starting QB is a must going into next season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/41/connecticut-huskies

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am putting a lot of Casey's success on the improved pass protection and a change in the play calls to deliver the ball quickly, but I will give him this. He has shown in the recent games to be more accurate than Boyle and thrown fewer interceptable balls than Whitmer, but how much of that is based on the previous statement remains to be seen. Casey saw a fair amount of mop up duty early in the season and looked just as bad, if not worse than the other two playing the same system against the same opponents. No idea, who looked like what in practice.

Reaction Score
Blackberry brandy. Warmth of watching Casey march us up and down, wind behind us and wind in our face.
Sprinkle of sugar. Casey is pinhole accurate. Enough arm. Enough height. Brains and smarts. Massive leader - just you wait.
Dab of honey. Geremy top flight possession receiver. Foxx gratifies Weist playing up to his explosive abilities. Others WRs contribute and block.
Bitters. Improving but average O Line decimated by graduation.

Reaction Score
He looked like crap in both spring games. I didn't expect him to be any good at all.

Reaction Score
Not to toot my own horn, but I never understood why Boyle got a shot before Cochran. Made no sense to me.

Really happy for him as a fellow Masuk alum, and for the Huskies who finally appear to have a viable QB.

Was n't there a rumor going around that the reason Boyle transferred to UConn was that PP promised to start him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom