Cochran to Start Saturday | The Boneyard

Cochran to Start Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just don't blow Kivon Taylor's redshirt.

Next QB up: Brian Lemelle

Reaction Score
Smart move, we need to know what he has going into next year and this is a good time to experiment, this should also give the rest of the team a little boost out of the gate. Casey has earned this opportunity.

Good luck Casey!

Tim Boyle is a heck of a talent and he should keep his head up, watch and learn. College is for learning and Tim has certainly learned a lot over the last month. He has a huge upside if he continues to work hard to improve his craft.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There really was no other choice. I thought Boyle showed a ton of potential against USF, but he has really regressed. Not giving up on him yet.

Gotta wonder if this would've been Lagow's shot?

Reaction Score
The fair thing to do. Boyle needs to sit for his sake. Casey gets to show what he can or can't do in normal game conditions and as another poster said, gives the team a boost. The wrs were exhibiting poor body language every time Boyle missed a throw, and the frustration is understandable.

Reaction Score
SMU puts up a lot of points but their D is bad. This is a good opportunity for Cochran to get some points and build confidence for the first W of the year (vs. Temple).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There really was no other choice. I thought Boyle showed a ton of potential against USF, but he has really regressed. Not giving up on him yet.

I don't. Lagow is not a Husky.

Reaction Score
Force your better QB to play against the top 3 defenses in the conference, let the 3rd stringer play against the bottom D's and look good.

Great way to create a huge QB controversy next year, but oh well, that's Dan Mullen's problem <g>

Reaction Score
this was a move that had to be made but I don't have high hopes. Replacing the quarterback rarely matters. Hope this is one of those rare instances where it does, though. One thing this will tell us is whether the new coach should be checking the JUCO ranks for a stop gap to get us through next year.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Pretty much all of this. I am all for this move, and still support having played Boyle this year. Maybe Cochran will turn into our version of Major Applewhite. Small, slow QB that is always overlooked based on skillset, but just produces.

Reaction Score
I definitely have not given up on Boyle, but I think this is the correct move. Cochran has earned this start and they need to find out how good he potentially is before the season ends. I would hate to have him go elsewhere without having had a real chance to show what he can do under game conditions.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reminder.
Just sayin'...no use worrying about a player who is not on the team. That young man made a choice. He alone should live with the consequences, good or bad.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Pretty much all of this. I am all for this move, and still support having played Boyle this year. Maybe Cochran will turn into our version of Major Applewhite. Small, slow QB that is always overlooked based on skillset, but just produces.
Or Drew Brees...

Reaction Score
Just sayin'...no use worrying about a player who is not on the team. That young man made a choice. He alone should live with the consequences, good or bad.

I am trying to worry about anything other than the play between the lines right now.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
this was a move that had to be made but I don't have high hopes. Replacing the quarterback rarely matters. Hope this is one of those rare instances where it does, though. One thing this will tell us is whether the new coach should be checking the JUCO ranks for a stop gap to get us through next year.

Stop gap to what? CW will be a senior next year provided he stays. He is our JUCO. Next coach will be looking for OL in JUCO I'd imagine

Reaction Score
Stop gap to what? CW will be a senior next year provided he stays. He is our JUCO. Next coach will be looking for OL in JUCO I'd imagine

I will be STUNNED if Whitmer is here next year.

Reaction Score
Force your better QB to play against the top 3 defenses in the conference, let the 3rd stringer play against the bottom D's and look good.

Great way to create a huge QB controversy next year, but oh well, that's Dan Mullen's problem <g>

USF has a great defense too.

Reaction Score
I will be STUNNED if Whitmer is here next year.

Why? Does he have somewhere else to go? He can't afford to lose any more eligibility. And given the dumpster fire of our offense, chances are he'll get another shot at some point.

Reaction Score
hurray.
My late dad used to say: There is no player more beloved on the team than the back-up qb, holding the clipboard, wearing his baseball cap backwards, with the headset on to listen to the playcalling from above.

Reaction Score
Why? Does he have somewhere else to go? He can't afford to lose any more eligibility. And given the dumpster fire of our offense, chances are he'll get another shot at some point.
FCS. Kid is competitor. My guess is he will participate in spring ball then read the tea leaves on the situation.

Reaction Score
My late dad used to say: There is no player more beloved on the team than the back-up qb, holding the clipboard, wearing his baseball cap backwards, with the headset on to listen to the playcalling from above.

Yeah but sometimes those back-ups turn into good or even great players. As a Jet fan I vividly remember Moe Lewis injuring Drew Bledsoe and seeing him replaced by the Brady Bunch's dad.

Aren't almost all college QB's a back-up at some point? Cochran is still a Freshman, he may very well turn into the starter for the next three years or maybe he won't, we need to find out.

I'm sure there were plenty of Pitt fans who thought that Flacco kid should be given a shot.

Colin Kaepernick was just a no name back-up at the start of last season.

I have seen enough of Cochran to think he could be another Cody Endres type of passer. Cody wasn't super talented but he had very good instincts, was very accurate, and got the ball out quickly which gave his receivers room to run.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could see Whitmer leaving to a FCS team with a real chance to start during his senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom