Cochran is done | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cochran is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel for Casey. He worked hard to be the best he could be and it showed.

I'm happy UConn is letting him keep is scholarship until he graduates. That's a very classy move. Part me though thinks, because Casey has expressed interest in coaching, Diaco wants to keep him on to give him a chance to coach while he earns his degree.

Good Luck Casey. If you're anything like your father, other teams better watch out!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I feel for Casey. He worked hard to be the best he could be and it showed.

I'm happy UConn is letting him keep is scholarship until he graduates. That's a very classy move. Part me though thinks, because Casey has expressed interest in coaching, Diaco wants to keep him on to give him a chance to coach while he earns his degree.

Good Luck Casey. If you're anything like your father, other teams better watch out!

UConn has a history of doing this. They did it with an offensive lineman during Edsall's run (who's name escapes me) who was forced to end his career due to a spinal condition or something like that. It's the right thing to do. These kids literally risk their lives out there.

Reaction Score
UConn has a history of doing this. They did it with an offensive lineman during Edsall's run (who's name escapes me) who was forced to end his career due to a spinal condition or something like that. It's the right thing to do. These kids literally risk their lives out there.

Joe Akers

Reaction Score
Casey for OC!

Boyle might be looking at playing time if Whitmer falters. Might as well get him to feel out the AAC.

Reaction Score
Can't imagine the sense of loss that Casey is experiencing. Here is kid who has lived for the game, given it his all and loved being able to play for UConn. As someone noted, this can be a brutal game, and hopefully he is able to walk away and not experience any of the serious outcomes that come with multiple concussions.

Eventually he will come to terms with it all, but for now we should give him and his family all the support we can muster. Glad to know that the college allows him to retain his scholarship and that Diaco will keep him on the sidelines, use his skills and wits, and help him move into a coaching career if that is his goal.

All the best Casey.

Reaction Score
Can he still practice with the team with no contact? If possible, this could be big still for the development and growth of the team from a practice stand point.

Reaction Score
First time I ever posted on an opponent's board. I just wanted to let you guys know we were upset about this news too. It's hard to see anybody have to end a promising career this way. Cochran is a good player, and I wish him the best in his recovery. I liked your team a lot, and everything I've seen from your fans has been nothing but class. I'm looking forward to playing you guys next year at our place.

If any of you decide to make the trip out, just ask on CougarBoard and I'll get you a list of my favorite places to eat and things to do. I'm just jdub over there (why do usernames here require 5 characters?). There are a lot of great outdoor activities really close, and even Zion and Bryce National Parks are only about 3 to 4 hours drive. With the Friday game, that would make a pretty awesome weekend.

Reaction Score
First time I ever posted on an opponent's board. I just wanted to let you guys know we were upset about this news too. It's hard to see anybody have to end a promising career this way. Cochran is a good player, and I wish him the best in his recovery. I liked your team a lot, and everything I've seen from your fans has been nothing but class. I'm looking forward to playing you guys next year at our place.

If any of you decide to make the trip out, just ask on CougarBoard and I'll get you a list of my favorite places to eat and things to do. I'm just jdub over there (why do usernames here require 5 characters?). There are a lot of great outdoor activities really close, and even Zion and Bryce National Parks are only about 3 to 4 hours drive. With the Friday game, that would make a pretty awesome weekend.

Classy post! I'm rooting for the Cougars this season.

I'm hoping to make the trip out there next year to see the rematch. Never been to Utah and would love to visit. If I can I'll definitely drop in on your message board to get some advice on things to do and places to eat.

Reaction Score
There are many terms one could use to reply to this along with calling you many things other than Bruce. Not sure if we are allowed to say things like low life, classless piece of pig snot but we will see.
One can only hope if you have a season ticket you will give it up to someone with a tad of an IQ and a love for our team.
We can only wish Casey nothing but the best in the future and be glad he will remain on board as a QB mentor. That still gives us a good arm on the practice field. We can then hope after he graduates he starts his professional coaching career right here as an assistant.
They say adversity builds character, well by the end of this season we are going to have a ton of character.
Good luck Casey and Go Dogs!!!!!

I love the sanctimonious people like you who look for anything remotely ambiguous so you can pretend it means... what, exactly? That I want Cochran to keep playing through concussions? It's another piece of terrible luck for a team suffering a string of terrible luck. I'm frustrated. Obviously. That's obviously what the post meant, and then I clarified it later in the thread. The only possible explanation is that you're staggeringly stupid, or you're pretending to be staggeringly stupid so that you can insult me for not being as enlightened or for having as much perspective as you want people to think you have.

Reaction Score
Sad for Casey, but is football worth the health issue later in life? I just hope Connecticut will produce another QUALITY QB for UConn...think about the QB we had landed since DO...where are they now...

Reaction Score
Sad for Casey, but is football worth the health issue later in life? I just hope Connecticut will produce another QUALITY QB for UConn...think about the QB we had landed since DO...where are they now...

There is a kid, last name Boyle I believe.....

Reaction Score
I wonder how many would welcome him (Lagow) back? I don't think his recruitment went down the way anyone wanted. But that staff is gone now, he could come in and challenge for PT. Is he ready to compete for a job? I think he has the size the staff likes. He could provide some depth if he didn't win the job making it easier to redshirt Davis. I'd take him back.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wonder how many would welcome him (Lagow) back? I don't think his recruitment went down the way anyone wanted. But that staff is gone now, he could come in and challenge for PT. Is he ready to compete for a job? I think he has the size the staff likes. He could provide some depth if he didn't win the job making it easier to redshirt Davis. I'd take him back.

My philosophy is if the coaching staff believes a player can help the team, then I'm all for it...

Reaction Score
Nothing personal to the kid but I think the Lagow train has left the station. Let him win the JC job, produce and contact us before considering him. Based on track record concern is we take him back, everyone gets excited again about the thousand tweets he sends out about his love of UCONN and then if he does not win the starting job in camp he bolts week or two before season to a d1AA school leaving us without a #2. Anyway if he tears it up at Cisco he will be looking for a P5 shool in South/Southwest before UCONN.

Reaction Score
Nothing personal to the kid but I think the Lagow train has left the station. Let him win the JC job, produce and contact us before considering him. Based on track record concern is we take him back, everyone gets excited again about the thousand tweets he sends out about his love of UCONN and then if he does not win the starting job in camp he bolts week or two before season to a d1AA school leaving us without a #2. Anyway if he tears it up at Cisco he will be looking for a P5 shool in South/Southwest before UCONN.

That's all fair. He's earned that reputation. I'm wondering if he matured, and decided he doesn't want to bounce around anymore. Shakim Phillips went back to BCU after transferring out, so it's not unheard of. I was really just thinking out loud. We're desperate for depth at the position. I understand why some (many?) would hesitate to give him another chance here.

Reaction Score
He might have matured but if I remember the father was heavily engaged and assume still has lot of influence so too much risk. While excited we recruited him originally I always thought from day one was that since played high school in Texas winning the UCONN starting QB job was going to be a piece of cake and when it did not happen he bailed. Phillips different deal, he wants to appeal to NFL as he is in last year and clearly Davis is the man here and with his injuries Foxx was bypassing him and he had shot to be the man at BC so he left.

Reaction Score
Phillips seemed like a nice, polite young man. I liked him and don't blame him for looking out for himself his last year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

In his defense, Des Connor (a huge PP supporter) of all people stated during summer camp 13 months ago that Lagow was clearly the most polished of the QBs. Upon his departure P stated (evidently as a reason for his not being as successful as he should have been) something along the lines of "they wanted to see their kids play so I did that" which I took as his admitting that he was more concerned with keeping the local HS coaches happy than awarding positions based on merit.

Lagow left because he was buried on the depth chart, which if Des was correct in his assessment (to be completely fair I did not see any of the QBs perform in 2013's summer camp) was an injustice.

Its over now, I wish the kid the best but as we landed Shireffs (sp?) we basically replaced him. A postgrad who wouldn't leave if he didn't win the starting job (if we can find one) would be our best bet. If we want another third year soph in 2015 I would prefer someone who hasn't been here and felt he got a raw deal last time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom