Cochran is done | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cochran is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow this is terrible news but the right decision. Casey seems like a really great kid and his safety is the most important thing, he will still be a big part of this program.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
2014 depth chart should be:
Boyle
Whitmer

Then it's open season on 2015. If Boyle closes the year out strong, he has the upper hand heading into Spring Ball over Shireffs and Davis. If he struggles, it's an open competition and likely Shireffs in '15 if he has a good year of practice and two good camps next year. Davis hopefully redshirts until 2016. Will need to add another QB through 5th year eligibility, JUCO or an incoming FR though to build depth to preserve Davis' RS.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
That's not what I said or meant. More of a "f- me" when something bad happens. Man, you folks are touchy.

In positive news, Mike Enright confirms that UConn will honor Casey's scholarship. So there's that.
FWIW I knew what you meant. This program feels snake bitten at this point and it really hurts.

I think everyone agrees this is the right call for Casey. It just sucks for the program big time.

Reaction Score
6675156407_f3cfc33e7a.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A JUCO won't help until next season either. Too late at this point.

I should have been clearer, my apologies.

My major point was that while it appeared to be a sound approach when it looked like Casey would be here for the remainder of this season and a couple more beyond that, now that Boyle logistically cannot be redshirted this year, we need to play the better of the two (Whitmer, Boyle) QB's now.

I also added (and yes, I should have mentioned Sherrif, my apologies for the omission) that we need bodies for this position going forward and both a JUCO and (if we can find one) a post-grad (giving us a junior and senior as backup QB's next year) added this offseason should be a goal.

mets1090

Reaction Score
My hope, is that Diaco, our first time head coach, has finally realized the complete lunacy in a "preparatory" phase of the season, and whatever that means to him, with all these substitutions and self-evaluation stuff - and the reason is injuries. I've been kind of quiet about that aspect until now, but we lost Cochran for good, during the "prepatory" phase.

I'm 100% behind Whitmer getting every snap against Boise, and a starting lineup on each side of the ball, that is going to play and practice all week like it. As much as I jest around here, I'm entirely sick of this concept of rotating players in games for self-evaluation purposes.
If not for Whitmer taking a bunch of snaps against BYU, there's a chance UConn loses to Stony Brook. So there's that. If anything this will reinforce things in Diaco's mind. Now if someone gets hurt, at least his backup has seen a good amount of snaps. I think that's the point.

I'm also not a huge fan of all the substitutions but I think it's a necessary evil given the steady decline of the team's performance in the last three years culminating in the show that was 2013.

Reaction Score
This is just terrible. The legacy of the damage done to our team and OL continues. We just couldn't fix it fast enough. Wishing Casey and his family all the best. I hope he chooses to stay at UConn with the team in some capacity. It's a really tough deal for a guy who worked his butt off to prepare for this year.

The team should dedicate the rest of the season to him starting this weekend.

Reaction Score
If not for Whitmer taking a bunch of snaps against BYU, there's a chance UConn loses to Stony Brook. So there's that. If anything this will reinforce things in Diaco's mind. Now if someone gets hurt, at least his backup has seen a good amount of snaps. I think that's the point.

I'm also not a huge fan of all the substitutions but I think it's a necessary evil given the steady decline of the team's performance in the last three years culminating in the show that was 2013.

Are you suggesting that the experience gleaned from the BYU game allowed Whitmer to not be even worse than the terrible he was against Stony Brook? He seems like a good dude, and I wish him the best, but he can't throw, and that's a pretty vital skill for a QB at this level.

Reaction Score
You still have a wealth of knowledge on the game. More than most. If coaching is in your future you will be one heck of a coach. Either way I can only wish the best to a fellow Husky.

Reaction Score
I should have been clearer, my apologies.

My major point was that while it appeared to be a sound approach when it looked like Casey would be here for the remainder of this season and a couple more beyond that, now that Boyle logistically cannot be redshirted this year, we need to play the better of the two (Whitmer, Boyle) QB's now.

I also added (and yes, I should have mentioned Sherrif, my apologies for the omission) that we need bodies for this position going forward and both a JUCO and (if we can find one) a post-grad (giving us a junior and senior as backup QB's next year) added this offseason should be a goal.

Agreed. Just seemed you were referencing for the rest of this season. Nothing can be done until next year unfortunately. Back to Casey.

Reaction Score
Casey I'm sure nothing anyone can say will make you feel any man, but this sucks I can't imagine what he must be feeling. Good luck in everything going forward I hope he continues to be a part of the team, loved seeing this kids attitude!

Reaction Score
This just incredibly sucks on multiple levels.

When Diaco said a formal announcement would be made, I feared this.

To those clamoring for Boyle.....if they thought he was the best option they would've played him. Need to rally around the starter, even if it's Whitmer.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wow this sucks for everyone involved, best of luck to CC in his future endeavors. But it's next man up

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN (short) story

I wish Casey the best. He seems like a good kid and I am sad to him not being able to play a game that I'm sure he loves.

Reaction Score
BUT ...

Someone has to play the 4th QB. You have got to find someone ... here you are in the second week of school ... to be the next man up. Cause you can't have Shirrefs. And this is why losing Taylor was a problem. I don't know ... it seems like another injury and you better have a plan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's the Maryland plan if Whitmer gets hurt. High school quarterbacks who changed positions.

Reaction Score
It's the Maryland plan if Whitmer gets hurt. High school quarterbacks who changed positions.
It is unbelievable the amount of bad luck this program has had at this position. You can't make it up.

Reaction Score
Have to wonder if this played into Diaco's decision to have a two QB gameplan. He must've known one more concussion would end Casey's career.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that the experience gleaned from the BYU game allowed Whitmer to not be even worse than the terrible he was against Stony Brook? He seems like a good dude, and I wish him the best, but he can't throw, and that's a pretty vital skill for a QB at this level.
Oh I don't think he's a D1 starting caliber QB but he has always had issues with happy feet, speed of the game etc. which can only be helped by playing. Despite the awkward fumble, he actually took care of the ball more than he has in the past which is not good but it is what it is. I guess I'm suggesting that if he hadn't played against BYU, that terrible fumble could have led to things spiraling out of control for him.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
All the best to CC. Just crappy news.

Reaction Score
Have to wonder if this played into Diaco's decision to have a two QB gameplan. He must've known one more concussion would end Casey's career.
Whitmer's had some at UConn as well. Took a big pop on a scramble against SB. Only a matter of time before we see Boyle. I hoep it is not because Chandler got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom