Coaching search… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coaching search…

Reaction Score
Golden turned Temple around by playing a super easy schedule. Not Kidding.

Go to his Wikipedia page and look it up for yourself. Golden's most impressive win at Temple was beating UCONN in 2010 in Philly. I'm not kidding look it up for yourself.

Based on that if we are hiring Golden because he turned Temple around I hope we are also announcing we are joining CUSA so we can get that super easy schedule going. Also not kidding.

We all know UCONN is in a really crap position today after THREE poor performances at HC. Temple in 2006 was far worse. I'm certain you all are not historians; but, that Program has 20 years of not winning more than 4 and 6 times won 1 or less. So ... yeah, I get it. Retread retread and you are angry.

The key to me - if I am Dave - IF Al Golden comes in with dynamite OC and DC and Oline coach staffing. Bingo. Why do I think that is possible ... again Matt Rhule and Ryan Day on Day One at Temple. It is who he has in his pocket; it is bringing in a COLLEGE guy who can wrap up transfers + grab the talent we need from the rising class. It is not a distinct NO. It is ok for us to be skeptical because of the disastrous state and the years he has been in the NFL. However ...

look Mom - NO BOLD

Reaction Score
Gotta think AD DB, with all the time in the world, will get the right guy. If it is Golden, then I will feel a whole lot better than when RE was rehired. But that is a low bar to clear. Gotta think something will happen soon. Announcement exactly three weeks from today? Maybe the Coordinators announcements will be more scrutinized?

Reaction Score
Schiano has done a decent job in stabilizing Rutgers. He brought in a number of transfers and he seems to have improved recruiting. He has a veteran team this year and he is not starting freshmen and sophomores, so there could be a dropoff next year. But, he is the poster child of what happens if you hire a defensive minded coach - your results are dependent on how good your OC is. Here are the points Rutgers has scored over the past 6 games: 13, 13, 13, 7, 20, 3. On paper, Rutgers OC has a good resume and he did a decent job last year, but the results aren't there this year. Who is to blame?

College football has changed and you have to be able to score points. Sabin saw how college football was changing and he has been able to attract great offensive coaches to Alabama to score points. Alabama can throw money at assistant coaches and they can hire many off the field offensive coaches. UConn can't do that. What UConn can do is pay an offensive minded head coach more than he can make as a top P5 OC.
Rutgers looked like a Pop Warner team playing 6-3 Wisconsin yesterday. Paul Crist put the reserves in after halftime and they still scored 20 something points in the 3rd quarter. Schiano is another fat cat retread and is getting paid $4 million a year. That’s what slightly scares me about Golden, but he’s better than anything we have had this season. We need a smart young coach who’s hungry and has a vision, and can sell that to recruits and transfers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
what Does UConn really need today?
program builder
hungry/ young enough to know what success will lead to
great recruiter with knowledge of the base geographic recruiting hot spots
charisma, although I put that way down on the list
a pan that includes who his key coaches will be and what budget he needs to get them
a history of replacing under performing coaches
not afraid of a contract with lots of incentives

What does the coach need fromUconn
commitment to fund good coaches all the way down to the position level
the ability to stretch on 10% of the recruits every year with admissions
willingness to accept a 90% graduation rate
not afraid of the transfer portal
in other words, what every P5 coach gets from his school

Golden actually checks all those boxes. He will be the best recruiter as HC since RE 1.0 and will be a lot better than that. Knows the NE, FL and the Delmarva. Big success in VA over his career. He will get UConn to a winning record within 3 years. Not sexy hire, not a splash, although more of a splash than FCS coaches or assistants and certainly not anyone that will make this board happy. Until he starts winning.

I will take him over almost every realistic name floated on this board.
A guy that’s been out of coaching college for over 6yrs and had a 59-59 record in college again over 6yrs ago will have us winning and you say that with such confidence. You can’t make this up.. smh

Reaction Score
what Does UConn really need today?
program builder
hungry/ young enough to know what success will lead to
great recruiter with knowledge of the base geographic recruiting hot spots
charisma, although I put that way down on the list
a pan that includes who his key coaches will be and what budget he needs to get them
a history of replacing under performing coaches
not afraid of a contract with lots of incentives

What does the coach need fromUconn
commitment to fund good coaches all the way down to the position level
the ability to stretch on 10% of the recruits every year with admissions
willingness to accept a 90% graduation rate
not afraid of the transfer portal
in other words, what every P5 coach gets from his school

Golden actually checks all those boxes. He will be the best recruiter as HC since RE 1.0 and will be a lot better than that. Knows the NE, FL and the Delmarva. Big success in VA over his career. He will get UConn to a winning record within 3 years. Not sexy hire, not a splash, although more of a splash than FCS coaches or assistants and certainly not anyone that will make this board happy. Until he starts winning.

I will take him over almost every realistic name floated on this board.
I’m not so sure, but thank you Mrs Golden.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni was a dinosaur. Golden is not.

Well you really don't know if that is true, you are just hoping it is. What we do know is that he has been away from the college game for 6 years and is currently a position coach in the NFL. That matches PP's prior 6 years when we hired him to a tee, except PP actually became a defensive coordinator in the NFL so PP one upped Golden.

The selling point for Golden is that he turned Temple around. He turned Temple around from 2006-2010 which matches Randy Edsall's most successful period as a coach. Do you consider Edsall a dinosaur? We all know the game has changed a ton since 2010. If Edsall is a dinosaur I fear Golden is too and there is literally nothing that proves he isn't except a leap of faith.

Reaction Score
UMass's top two candidates their admin are floating out there are Liam Coen and Don Brown. UConn's top candidates AD DB's floating out to gauge fan reaction .... Al Golden and Skip Holtz.....I guess he did give us Edsall. Not encouraging though.

Reaction Score
UMass's top two candidates their admin are floating out there are Liam Coen and Don Brown. UConn's top candidates AD DB's floating out to gauge fan reaction .... Al Golden and Skip Holtz.....I guess he did give us Edsall. Not encouraging though.
Somebody floated Holtz and Golden but the general reaction is no thanks. Compare that to Hurley when most knew it was the right decision. AD Dave needs to make a pick that rekindles confidence and energy. These guys deliver “meh”. Golden is much better than Holtz but you still end up with a 59-59 meh Coach.

Reaction Score
Well you really don't know if that is true, you are just hoping it is. What we do know is that he has been away from the college game for 6 years and is currently a position coach in the NFL. That matches PP's prior 6 years when we hired him to a tee, except PP actually became a defensive coordinator in the NFL so PP one upped Golden.

The selling point for Golden is that he turned Temple around. He turned Temple around from 2006-2010 which matches Randy Edsall's most successful period as a coach. Do you consider Edsall a dinosaur? We all know the game has changed a ton since 2010. If Edsall is a dinosaur I fear Golden is too and there is literally nothing that proves he isn't except a leap of faith.
^^^1000%

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like Coen but does UConn take another coordinator or go with a head coach at a lower level or like a MAC school type.

One thing the offense has to be 21st century not the screens, draws and other 1990 offenses

Reaction Score
Then what the hell are we even debating.

I sure as hell hope Dave Benedict can hire someone who brings some excitement this go around.

I was excited about Diaco. Sometimes sexy isn’t what you need. Golden‘s Temple teams were a Harvard Business School case study on how to do a great deal with next to nothing. And his team always played hard.

Reaction Score

‘Edsall and Golden have superficial similarities. But it doesn’t surprise me that you are so easily duped.

What Golden did at an outcast school with no resources was better than what Randy did in a well funded situation in a BCS conference.

This is the only way to look at this.

No comparison to PP and RE.

Reaction Score
I was excited about Diaco. Sometimes sexy isn’t what you need. Golden‘s Temple teams were a Harvard Business School case study on how to do a great deal with next to nothing. And his team always played hard.

You’re living in the past. You’re talking 10-11yrs ago. Sucks UConn has fans that are excited about a retread. Diaco was a DC with NO HCing experience. That’s not going to happen this time.

Reaction Score
‘Edsall and Golden have superficial similarities. But it doesn’t surprise me that you are so easily duped.

What Golden did at an outcast school with no resources was better than what Randy did in a well funded situation in a BCS conference.

This is the only way to look at this.

No comparison to PP and RE.
Shut up Carl

Reaction Score
I like Coen but does UConn take another coordinator or go with a head coach at a lower level or like a MAC school type.

One thing the offense has to be 21st century not the screens, draws and other 1990 offenses
Difference between UConn and UMass is that we can have another edsall 2.0 type run and UConn would still be in FBS but if UMass is similar to it’s current Status in 5 years they would have to drop down to FCS. Idk why Coen would even consider it.

Reaction Score
you guys are exhibit A and B on why the Boneyard has become the dumbest place on the internet.

Laughing at all my posts… are you mad Carl? Did I touch a nerve? All love man. Take your meds and relax. All love.

Reaction Score
I’d be ok with Golden, as long as he can recruit in New England, NJ, NY, PA, etc, and I think he can, his picks for OC and DC also need to be good recruiters. Fans and the administration alike need to realize this is a 5 year rebuild, and recruiting is pivotal in rebuilding UConn. If the new staff can’t do that then FBS football at UConn will be on borrowed time. Golden also knows the recruiting landscape in Florida and the southeast which is a plus. All that being said, I’d rather see Dave go after Moorhead, Sean Lewis, or Rhett Lashlee.

you have to take into account the huge number of vacancies. I’d love to have Moorhead or Lashlee but they are out of our league. Also who actually wants this nightmare job. Paychecks are great, but the stink of abject failure will damn your career.

Golden’s MO is recruiting strong and defense. I’ll take that over Patriot League guy,

If there is a version of Golden that was recruiting and offense that would be a perfect candidate.

A guinea pig could have done better than Randy. He ran off everyone competent. He didn’t start his best players and played favorites. Pretty much anyone we hire will be better than Randy.

Reaction Score
you have to take into account the huge number of vacancies. I’d love to have Moorhead or Lashlee but they are out of our league. Also who actually wants this nightmare job. Paychecks are great, but the stink of abject failure will damn your career.

Golden’s MO is recruiting strong and defense. I’ll take that over Patriot League guy,

If there is a version of Golden that was recruiting and offense that would be a perfect candidate.

A guinea pig could have done better than Randy. He ran off everyone competent. He didn’t start his best players and played favorites. Pretty much anyone we hire will be better than Randy.

JM is not out of our league, especially not Lashlee. Most disagree and the one who’s opinion matters the most, Dave also disagrees.

Reaction Score
Diaco was sexy, charismatic but ultimately did not work out. Was more concerned with coaching defense than winning. Doesn’t mean coordinators can’t be successful since some are. It’s a crapshoot. My fear is Lashlee would just leave and go back down south if things got too difficult.

Reaction Score
JM is not out of our league, especially not Lashlee. Most disagree and the one who’s opinion matters the most, Dave also disagrees.

Oh really? You really think Dave would admit someone is out of our league? You really don’t think that Moorhead won’t have better opportunities at bigger schools with more money?

You really think Lashlee would entertain coming back? I don’t think so.

We’ll get the best available person that actually wants to be be here. That pool is not large.

Reaction Score
Diaco was sexy, charismatic but ultimately did not work out. Was more concerned with coaching defense than winning. Doesn’t mean coordinators can’t be successful since some are. It’s a crapshoot. My fear is Lashlee would just leave and go back down south if things got too difficult.

Rhett ain’t coming back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom