Coaching search… | The Boneyard

Coaching search…

Reaction Score
It appears that Al Golden is AD Dave’s top candidate or Al is just lobbying hard for the job. Multiple media outlets are reporting Golden is a major candidate and one connected CT football coach is saying Golden will be hired.

I don’t know what to make of this if true. On one hand, he’s a pretty good coach, but he’s not even close to a sure thing. He definitely meets my definition of a retread. He had a great shot to prove himself as exceptional at Miami and failed.

I have to say, I’m not pleased with this rumor. He would bring immediate competence and competitiveness, but I was looking for more. The potential to take us further than anyone could ever expect was my hope. That should be the goal. We will see where this goes but if AD Dave is reading, this is not what we were looking for. Not terrible, but let’s swing for the fences here, even if that means a 34 year old MAC coach.

Reaction Score
If he could get us to 10-3 in four years, I’d take him. Just not confident that he will. And for what its worth, I’m also not confident about these rumors. Every time we’ve been through this, the guy who “ had the job locked up” ended up not getting the job.

Reaction Score
It appears that Al Golden is AD Dave’s top candidate or Al is just lobbying hard for the job. Multiple media outlets are reporting Golden is a major candidate and one connected CT football coach is saying Golden will be hired.

I don’t know what to make of this if true. On one hand, he’s a pretty good coach, but he’s not even close to a sure thing. He definitely meets my definition of a retread. He had a great shot to prove himself as exceptional at Miami and failed.

I have to say, I’m not pleased with this rumor. He would bring immediate competence and competitiveness, but I was looking for more. The potential to take us further than anyone could ever expect was my hope. That should be the goal. We will see where this goes but if AD Dave is reading, this is not what we were looking for. Not terrible, but let’s swing for the fences here, even if that means a 34 year old MAC coach.
I rather see Sean Lewis get the job than Golden

Reaction Score
I have been thinking of the story of Liam Coen interviewing for the job of OC at the University of Kentucky with Mark Stoops.

He came in WITH a full staff list of who he would bring, 300 plays (mainly from his Rams playbook), recruiting ideas, and how he worked gameday + weekly meeting format + some film review on future opponents.

My point: if you have a qualified guy - which is what Temple's rise portrays - and they have a detailed comprehensive interview, you absolutely are gonna put him high on the list. And calling him a retread is pejorative. He actually is not out to pasture; he has serious coaching at Detroit and Cincinnati. And yeah Pro ... but leaving Miami does not give you a lot of HC options - money or operational. As we see with Clay Helton's choice.

Al ain't at the top of my thoughts. I trust in AD David Benedict

Reaction Score

Who fits your hope at this point? A team with no conference, a complete rebuild required and if successful will need to win at least 7 wins to even get a minor bowl bid and with a school and fan base that puts BB first is not attracting a sure fire top tier MAC coach. They have better options. So who do you want?

Reaction Score
Was hoping they would interview Nick Hill. Not sure he is the guy but he has been associated with some good offensive minds.

Reaction Score
That would be underwhelming. We could do worse, but it certainly doesn’t light any fire. Very journeyman pick. I kind of hope this is a curveball.

Reaction Score
… who is the “connected CT football coach” you are referencing?
I can’t say. A good friend of mine knows who the source is. The question we both have is whether he was making a guess or a statement. I won’t put his name out there when I don’t know the context in which he said it. Personally, I didn’t see AD Dave going in this direction. It seems kind of reminiscent of bringing Edsall back.

Someone asked above, who I’d prefer. A young and energetic coach like Lewis would be more attractive to me. Golden would be the best coach we’ve ever had though. Not that it’s saying much.

Reaction Score
Remember some of these people we think we want might not be interested in coming here = not good fit.

Reaction Score
I can’t say. A good friend of mine knows who the source is. The question we both have is whether he was making a guess or a statement. I won’t put his name out there when I don’t know the context in which he said it.
Fair enough… is it generically coming out of Northwest CT?

Reaction Score
Guessing he is not the top choice. With a good staff and plan things should at least improve.

Reaction Score
I’m going to guess this is the Golden camp getting this out there. The more I think about it, the less I can see it. It doesn’t seem like an AD DB type pick.

Reaction Score
Yes. Don’t say names though.
My sense is its coming from this (which has been beat up pretty good for no other confirmation in the “Who’s your list for next HC” mega thread):

I posted this thought in that thread yesterday:

-> We had the usual plethora of “connect the dot” names thrown out by the mainstream CFB media after Edsall left then radio silence about candidates till two rumors this week by On3 - Holtz and Golden (which at least someone in the process confirmed to Dom Amore that the interest w/ AG was at least mutual). I have a hard time believing those are the only two candidates for the job @ this point in time. There are leverage games and timing of seasons in play.

Now, I can be proven wrong in the end but it would seem real strange for AD Dave to tie his career cart to Al Golden (and overall IMO Golden would be in the middle of a pack of realistic choices for me - some better/some worse).

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I would feel better about the Golden hire if I knew he was bringing an OC from a school with a successful modern offense. If UConn is serious...they need to pay for assistants. Golden alone won't be the answer...but golden with an up and coming OC from a MAC school....or an offensive assistant on a P5 staff...that could work.

Reaction Score
If Scott Frost was fired would he be a top choice for UConn?

Reaction Score
If Scott Frost was fired would he be a top choice for UConn?
He would be a tough get. But, he knows how to build. The other guy is Patterson who took a zombie TCU program to prominence. In each case, however, they had the advantage of sitting in recruiting hotbeds. We would have to put up some serious coin to even be considered.

Reaction Score
My sense is its coming from this (which has been beat up pretty good for no other confirmation in the “Who’s your list for next HC” mega thread):

I posted this thought in that thread yesterday:

-> We had the usual plethora of “connect the dot” names thrown out by the mainstream CFB media after Edsall left then radio silence about candidates till two rumors this week by On3 - Holtz and Golden (which at least someone in the process confirmed to Dom Amore that the interest w/ AG was at least mutual). I have a hard time believing those are the only two candidates for the job @ this point in time. There are leverage games and timing of seasons in play.

Now, I can be proven wrong in the end but it would seem real strange for AD Dave to tie his career cart to Al Golden (and overall IMO Golden would be in the middle of a pack of realistic choices for me - some better/some worse)

I believe his source is the coach I am referring to.

Reaction Score
He would be a tough get. But, he knows how to build. The other guy is Patterson who took a zombie TCU program to prominence. In each case, however, they had the advantage of sitting in recruiting hotbeds. We would have to put up some serious coin to even be considered.
Knowing AD DB he would put up serious coin to make sure his football program is in good hands. He made a great hire in MBB. Why can’t he make a great hire for FB.

Reaction Score
Knowing AD DB he would put up serious coin to make sure his football program is in good hands. He made a great hire in MBB. Why can’t he make a great hire for FB.
This is the shot to get it right with a great hire. If we had Frost or Patterson, you know we are in greats hands with guys who will get it done.

Reaction Score
This is the shot to get it right with a great hire. If we had Frost or Patterson, you know we are in greats hands with guys who will get it done.
It’s about time UConn football hires the right coach. I wouldn’t be surprised if they still are interviewing and might have second interviews with coaches. They got to make this the right choice.

Reaction Score
Bob Chesney has Holy Cross rocking. I wouldn’t be shocked if he isn’t considered as the next head coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who fits your hope at this point? A team with no conference, a complete rebuild required and if successful will need to win at least 7 wins to even get a minor bowl bid and with a school and fan base that puts BB first is not attracting a sure fire top tier MAC coach. They have better options. So who do you want?
Could not disagree more on your evaluation of the attractiveness of this job. Just because we suck now, and we do at an absolutely epic level of suckiness, doesn’t diminish the fact that we are a land grant university with huge brand awareness, and outstanding facilities. UConn is a good job that will attract decent candidates, IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom