Coaching hot seats | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaching hot seats

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Do you know when her contract is up?
No, but they fired the men's BB Coach Marvin Manzies after 3 years and actually had only two recruiting classes. He took over the team less than two months before his first season, had half of the team gone by the time he came on. His last year was a winning season. If you have someone that has been coaching for 12 years and only had 4 winning seasons and 3 of those were in a row. I think it's time to say Adios Amego.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No, but they fired the men's BB Coach Marvin Manzies after 3 years and actually had only two recruiting classes. He took over the team less than two months before his first season, had half of the team gone by the time he came on. His last year was a winning season. If you have someone that has been coaching for 12 years and only had 4 winning seasons and 3 of those were in a row. I think it's time to say Adios Amego.
What a blast from the past - never knew where she ended up. A lot of people thought she was too long at UCLA, as well, IIRC. We were at Rutgers at the time, so I wasn't following her real close but I definitely remember that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What a blast from the past - never knew where she ended up. A lot of people thought she was too long at UCLA, as well, IIRC. We were at Rutgers at the time, so I wasn't following her real close but I definitely remember that.
I wished someone would blast her back to the past, worst coach in the Mountain.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think Hoover might be safe after I looked at their roster today. Only lose one senior who played today.... and they have a good core returning.

Hoover hired Yale's recruiting coordinator -- Melissa D'Amico -- prior to last year and the Deakin' Demons have a class of four coming to Wake next year, including PG Jewell Spear, who I remember reading some positive reviews of over the years.

Reaction Score
This was the 1st and only year she was competitive (if tied for 11th and 13th seed is competitive). Now compare that to what the BC coach did...it's not even close.

2012-13 13-19 (.406), 5-13 ACC (T-9th)
2013-1415-16 (.484), 5-11 ACC (11th)
2014-15 RPI 18613-20 (.394), 2-14 ACC (13th)SoS 229
2015-16 RPI 8617-16 (.515), 6-10 ACC (10th)SoS 253
2016-17 RPI 9116-16 (.500), 6-10 ACC (9th)SoS 146
2017-18 RPI 11114-17 (.452), 5-11 ACC (11th)SoS 212
2018-19 RPI 14910-20 (.333), 1-15 ACC (15th)SoS 94

2019-20 RPI 127 14-15, 7-11 tie 11th, 13th on tiebreaker. SoS 115

...so tell me again how's she "kept them competitive, this year not with standing" as to me, this is not competitive and add in the extremely soft OOC, tells me below AVERAGE.

Looks like a great team that would fit nicely in the AAC. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

What your post is really saying, UNLV doesn't pay attention to the WBB and couldn't care less. It's the MBB they care about.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I wished someone would blast her back to the past, worst coach in the Mountain.
As I had no idea who this is, and what the discussion was about, I just did a quick search and review. This year she is tied for 5th, last year she tied for 1st, the year before that she was 3rd. So on the surface, she is not the worst coach in the Mountain West Conference. Here contract runs thru the 2021 season. I would say based on the peripherals of her record, places in the MW and focus, it's at best a 50-50 probability she is retained. So unless you have more "inside info"-were significant resources given to her? Were there many transfers out? She's getting paid oodles of cash as a salary that could be spent elsewhere. That type of effort that the school is not getting the correct return on it's effort are some of the other reasons why she would not be retained. Sorry...:oops:

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Hoover hired Yale's recruiting coordinator -- Melissa D'Amico -- prior to last year and the Deakin' Demons have a class of four coming to Wake next year, including PG Jewell Spear, who I remember reading some positive reviews of over the years.

That explains why Yale's class of Soph-Sr are so good. Hoover has had a long a leash at WF so if she is finally turning it around, good for her. Now that said, an unbiased observer, someone who is agnostic to a coach's pedigree, abilities as a player would say, her W/L record, her having the lowest attendance in the ACC last year and one of the 3 lowest in the last 5 years (every year of these 5 she was second to last or 3rd to last-ahead of Clemson and BC at the time who have since vaulted past her), if her contract is up this year, I might pull the trigger, obviously if she has more years left, she gets that time. What would be a great boon to her would be a nice run in the WNIT. But please don't tell me she's done a good job, because she hasn't. At best, it can be said, she's showing signs of improvement.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I, along with several Purdue fans hope Sharon Versyp is on this list.
I wonder if just barely squeaking into the NCAA tournament is enough to save her job. The AD spoke openly last year about how more was expected from the program.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
That explains why Yale's class of Soph-Sr are so good. Hoover has had a long a leash at WF so if she is finally turning it around, good for her. Now that said, an unbiased observer, someone who is agnostic to a coach's pedigree, abilities as a player would say, her W/L record, her having the lowest attendance in the ACC last year and one of the 3 lowest in the last 5 years (every year of these 5 she was second to last or 3rd to last-ahead of Clemson and BC at the time who have since vaulted past her), if her contract is up this year, I might pull the trigger, obviously if she has more years left, she gets that time. What would be a great boon to her would be a nice run in the WNIT. But please don't tell me she's done a good job, because she hasn't. At best, it can be said, she's showing signs of improvement.

That's the problem, Defense, in simply looking at numbers, statistics and analytics from afar without looking at the reasons behind the numbers. Wake Forest has had a long legacy of injury-plagued teams; this was one of the few seasons while Hoover has been there where the team was largely healthy.

Reaction Score
I wonder if just barely squeaking into the NCAA tournament is enough to save her job. The AD spoke openly last year about how more was expected from the program.

I dunno. She's rode the injury, illness, we'll have better depth, trains for years. How many coaches have been let go after making the NCAA?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I dunno. She's rode the injury, illness, we'll have better depth, trains for years. How many coaches have been let go after making the NCAA?
Good question.

Warlick was fired by Tennessee after last year's 1st-round exit.
Goestenkors "resigned" at Texas after a 1st-round exit in 2012.
Hatchell "resigned" after last season's 1st-round exit, but that was allegedly over off-the-court stuff.

There may be others I just can't think of right now.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As I had no idea who this is, and what the discussion was about, I just did a quick search and review. This year she is tied for 5th, last year she tied for 1st, the year before that she was 3rd. So on the surface, she is not the worst coach in the Mountain West Conference. Here contract runs thru the 2021 season. I would say based on the peripherals of her record, places in the MW and focus, it's at best a 50-50 probability she is retained. So unless you have more "inside info"-were significant resources given to her? Were there many transfers out? She's getting paid oodles of cash as a salary that could be spent elsewhere. That type of effort that the school is not getting the correct return on it's effort are some of the other reasons why she would not be retained. Sorry...:oops:
I have no horse in this, as I don't follow UNLV, but as I suggested in my post, her history at UCLA was such that she just wasn't popular. At the time, long before the PAC12 network, UCLA was on TV a bit - even in NJ - and I never thought she was horrible, but then I would come on the BY and some UConn fans would be tearing her up. And when I looked into it further, such as you could at the time, she just wasn't popular. It sounds to me like that hasn't changed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She resigned as the Head Coach on Friday after her first round loss. Over the 12 years as the HC she amassed a 182 - 193 record. No one has said if it was voluntary or if she was kind of pushed out.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So here's a bit of a twist to the Coaches on the hotseat question...what former coach comes back out of retirement to take over a team this off-season, call it the "Nell Fortner"?
Of the top of my head is a list of:
Joanne Boyle
Holly Warlick
Gail Goestenkors
Melanie Balcomb
Caroline Peck

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So here's a bit of a twist to the Coaches on the hotseat question...what former coach comes back out of retirement to take over a team this off-season, call it the "Nell Fortner"?
Of the top of my head is a list of:
Joanne Boyle
Holly Warlick
Gail Goestenkors
Melanie Balcomb
Caroline Peck

Please let it be Caroline Peck, so I don't have to hear her in the studio anymore. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I feel bad for anyone that might get Peck or Balcomb.
Balcomb has been sitting on Purdue's bench this year, with no noticeable result. Her last few years at Vandy didn't go well either.
Peck, even though she won a NC, had that one gift wrapped and handed to her by Nell Fortner.
Fortner is the one coach I wish Purdue could have held onto. Great recruiter, personable and able to coach on the big stage.
Something Sharon Versyp has yet to demonstrate.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for anyone that might get Peck or Balcomb.
Balcomb has been sitting on Purdue's bench this year, with no noticeable result. Her last few years at Vandy didn't go well either.
Peck, even though she won a NC, had that one gift wrapped and handed to her by Nell Fortner.
Fortner is the one coach I wish Purdue could have held onto. Great recruiter, personable and able to coach on the big stage.
Something Sharon Versyp has yet to demonstrate.

Boyle was pretty bad at Virginia. Not sure anyone would want her either.

Reaction Score
Boyle was pretty bad at Virginia. Not sure anyone would want her either.

All the coaches listed were probably highly sought after or recommended at some point. Just goes to show you how quickly your reputation can be changed.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
So I did a little research, and it turns out some schools / folks call it a revenue sport and some do not. When we were at Rutgers it was called a "Revenue Sport" to differentiate it from the sports that got no revenue from fans (everything else but football and MBB at the time). Those other sports had no admission charges and were called either "non-revenue" or "Olympic" sports, including golf, tennis, swimming, Field Hockey, lax, and yes, at the time, soccer. Times have changed.

I also saw a scholarly article that considered it a revenue sport; but conversely found several schools that call "baseball" for example a revenue sport because it is (for them). I agreed with your comment that it does not typically generate significant revenue, but the classification does apparently vary.

A lot of the physicality in the PAC is not so much the contact on the ball handler but is in going after blocks, loose balls, and the like. Which an awful lot of the ref's have no problem with. I regularly expect injuries; but as physical as our players are, I have never seen them do anything intentionally harmful and additionally (and unlike Rutgers) I don't see them playing a style that pushes the foul envelope. I don't think a review of U of A fouls would find the calls unbalanced (again, unlike (often) Rutgers). And in the PAC, an awful lot of foul calls are actually pretty ticky-tack while some really physical stuff is not called.
Let me preface my comment with the fact that Rutgers is my 2nd favorite school and I grew up very close to their campus.

Rutgers Football doesn't even make money, so basically, the term "revenue sport" has to mean that fans pay for tickets or there wouldn't be any revenue sports. I'm sure the annual Big Ten checks help to nearly balance the budget, but without that, there'd be a huge deficit.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
There was a time people wanted her at Duke.... but we got McCallie instead.
Interesting. I didn't know Joanne Boyle played at Duke. she had two nice runs at Richmond and California before cratering at Virginia. Honestly, Lindsey Gottlieb parlayed Joanne's talent at Cal into her Final Four run and then ruined that program. Coaching is a job that is invariable a job waiting to be fired. All of the old coaches listed were fired at one point but they did have success somewhere.

Reaction Score
I have no horse in this, as I don't follow UNLV, but as I suggested in my post, her history at UCLA was such that she just wasn't popular. At the time, long before the PAC12 network, UCLA was on TV a bit - even in NJ - and I never thought she was horrible, but then I would come on the BY and some UConn fans would be tearing her up. And when I looked into it further, such as you could at the time, she just wasn't popular. It sounds to me like that hasn't changed.

Kathy Olivier was a horrible coach but a good recruiter and a brilliant politician. She knew how to play the right people and held on to two coaching jobs for a total of 24 years with a record of around .500.

UCLA fans were especially upset at her lack of discipline and seeming lack of coaching knowledge. Only when she was threatened with dismissal did she start trying to coach. In a shocking interview, she admitted that only in her final season at UCLA did she start correcting her players when she would "let things slide" previously. Erica Gomez, point guard, did a scathing interview with the LA Times outlining the program's problems. Olivier herself said she didn't want the players to think basketball was the only thing the college experience was about and it led to a total loser mentality. According to Gomez, after UCLA was thrashed by UConn, the girls got on the bus and talked about where they were going shopping the next day. That was the culture she imbued. During weight training sessions, she would have the girls get up and pretend they were auditioning for American Idol. Need I go on?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Kathy Olivier was a horrible coach but a good recruiter and a brilliant politician. She knew how to play the right people and held on to two coaching jobs for a total of 24 years with a record of around .500.

UCLA fans were especially upset at her lack of discipline and seeming lack of coaching knowledge. Only when she was threatened with dismissal did she start trying to coach. In a shocking interview, she admitted that only in her final season at UCLA did she start correcting her players when she would "let things slide" previously. Erica Gomez, point guard, did a scathing interview with the LA Times outlining the program's problems. Olivier herself said she didn't want the players to think basketball was the only thing the college experience was about and it led to a total loser mentality. According to Gomez, after UCLA was thrashed by UConn, the girls got on the bus and talked about where they were going shopping the next day. That was the culture she imbued. During weight training sessions, she would have the girls get up and pretend they were auditioning for American Idol. Need I go on?
Thanks. As I said, I never knew details, really, I probably would know more if this had been after we moved to Tucson but that was when we were still in NJ.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom