Coaching hot seats | The Boneyard

Coaching hot seats

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Who is at risk of getting the boot once the season finishes? I dont know the contract breakdown by coaches, but ones I'd expect to be on the hot seat include:

Travis Mays-SMU
Sherri Coale-Oklahoma
Jonathan Tsipis-Wisconsin
Karen Aston-Texas
Stephanie White-Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
Who is at risk of getting the boot once the season finishes? I dont know the contract breakdown by coaches, but ones I'd expect to be on the hot seat include:

Travis Mays-SMU
Sherri Coale-Oklahoma
Karen Aston-Texas
Mays is toast. His AD tried to sweep it under the rug, but they're getting sued now and it ain't going away.

Sherri - Love you, but show me the money.

Aston - Texas has all the money in the world. Bye.

White - Is this what Vanderbilt wants to be? ??? Maybe they've lost interest (I have).

Wisconsin - Who cares?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Haven't heard much about Duke this season....

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Mays is toast. His AD tried to sweep it under the rug, but they're getting sued now and it ain't going away.

Sherri - Love you, but show me the money.

Aston - Texas has all the money in the world. Bye.

White - Is this what Vanderbilt wants to be? ??? Maybe they've lost interest (I have).

Wisconsin - Who cares?

Wisconsin hasn't been decent in quite some time but they have always had strong support for women's athletics and can draw massive crowds when the team does well. They were among attendance leaders in the 90s and early 00s when the program was at its peak.

It's pretty stunning how bad the program has been considering the success of most other women's athletic programs at UW, plus men's basketball has been consistently strong the past 2 decades. Only 1 NCAA berth in the past 18 years, 8 straight losing seasons and they've never even gone to a Sweet 16 despite having a recruiting hot bed in Milwaukee and Chicago. In recent years they've missed out on landing in state recruits Arike Ogunbowale, Sidney Cooks, Samantha Logic, and two top 30 recruits for 2020 (Kapinus/Donarski). I wonder if they'll give him a longer leash or shop around for a new coach.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Travis Mays-SMU
Sherri Coale-Oklahoma
Karen Aston-Texas
Mays - yes, gone. Coale, only gone if her contract has run out. Tsipis - only his 4th season, so he probably gets 1 more. Aston - she won enough to stay. White - lots of injuries, but still improved. She will be back.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Also:

Jen Hoover, Wake Forest
Reportedly in last year of contract, though I can't find any confirmation of this.

Brandon Schneider, Kansas
I have no idea why, but apparently he was extended to 2022 a couple years ago:
"Schneider, who would be entering the final year of the original five-year contract he signed with Kansas in 2015, has three years remaining on his deal because of an unreleased two-year extension given to him in the spring of 2018. Schneider said his contract now runs through March of 2022."

Kristy Curry, Alabama
"Alabama's Kristy Curry received a contract extension prior to the 2016-17 season, keeping her on as head coach of the Crimson Tide women's basketball team through 2020."
But can she save her job with an NCAA bid? Alabama is on the bubble with recent wins over MSU and A&M.

Nancy Fahey, Illinois
She's in her 3rd year now, like Tsipis at Wisconsin, and her contract was for 6 years. She was recruited away from Wash U by her former AD from there who had taken the Illinois job, so I'll assume that gets her at least another year to show improvement.

Lynne Roberts, Utah
Headed in the wrong direction. Now in her 5th year, she went to the WNIT in each of her first 3 years. Then, what appeared at first to be her breakthrough season last year fell apart amid a rash of injuries. Now this is her first sub-.500 season at Utah. Apparently a couple years ago she was extended to 2023.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lynne Roberts, Utah
Headed in the wrong direction. Now in her 5th year, she went to the WNIT in each of her first 3 years. Then, what appears at first to be her breakthrough season last year fell apart amid a rash of injuries. Now this is her first sub-.500 season at Utah. Apparently a couple years ago she was extended to 2023.

I don't know about that. Between losing Huff to graduation and Edwards to transfer, they were going to take a step backward. They had a few Sr. this year but most of their production came from Fr. and Sophs. Seems like a decent core to build around for the next 2 years. They finished ahead of a bunch of other rebuilding teams in the conference standings.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin hasn't been decent in quite some time but they have always had strong support for women's athletics and can draw massive crowds when the team does well. They were among attendance leaders in the 90s and early 00s when the program was at its peak.

It's pretty stunning how bad the program has been considering the success of most other women's athletic programs at UW, plus men's basketball has been consistently strong the past 2 decades. Only 1 NCAA berth in the past 18 years, 8 straight losing seasons and they've never even gone to a Sweet 16 despite having a recruiting hot bed in Milwaukee and Chicago. In recent years they've missed out on landing in state recruits Arike Ogunbowale, Sidney Cooks, Samantha Logic, and two top 30 recruits for 2020 (Kapinus/Donarski). I wonder if they'll give him a longer leash or shop around for a new coach.
Tsipis is a terrible coach. He never really was a good coach. He lucked out that Jonuel Jones’ high school coach was the assistant so she transferred from Clemson to there because she was like family to her. The only good seasons he’s had as a head coach was with her on the team I believe. Wisconsin didn’t do any due diligence.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Tsipis is a terrible coach. He never really was a good coach. He lucked out that Jonuel Jones’ high school coach was the assistant so she transferred from Clemson to there because she was like family to her. The only good seasons he’s had as a head coach was with her on the team I believe. Wisconsin didn’t do any due diligence.

I'm in no way a Tsipis enthusist but don't quite see how he can be labeled based on his long-term stay at Notre Dame, succussful stint at GW and incomplete work at Wisconsin.
I've followed him (primarily due to his work at ND, as well as that of Megan Duffy -- more on her later), so a few thoughts.

- The assistant coach you're referring to is Diane Richardson, who at the time of Jones' middle school career, was the head coach of the elite prep school, Riverdale Baptist, in Maryland. Richardson helped Jones immensely, which led Jones getting the scholarship to Clemson.

Now, I'm not certain Tsipis "lucked out" because he hired Richardson, who, in turn, was probably key to Jones coming back to the D.C. area and GW. Richardson, I might add, also benefitted from this association: she's head coach of Towson State.

- While Jones was getting better and better, GW was not totally a one-horse team. That, one could argue, was partially due to another shrewd hire by Tsipis: Megan Duffy, who came south from St. John's to take over the recruiting and guard coaching. Hannah Schaible was probably her main recruit, as well as Kelli Prange.

- So Tsipis went 14-16, 23-11, 29-4 and 26-7 and hired excellent assistant coaches in her first HC gig. I'm not sure I get what's terrible about that. BTW, it wasn't all Jones: the team he left went 20-10 in Jen Rizzotti's first year.

- He got the GW job largely based on his job as associate head coach and chief recruiter for Muffet McGraw. While Niele Ivey is largely known for working on/with Skylar Diggins, Tsipis brought in loads of other top contributors, Kayla McBride and Natalie Novosel to Maddie Cable. McGraw was/is a huge supporter of his.

- At Wisconsin, he took over for Bobbi Kensie in 2106, who went 47-100 in 5 years. Beside the results, the knock on her was she didn't work the Wisconsin High Schools and kids went everywhere but Madison: Wisconsin-Green Bay, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa...you name it. Tsipis has hit gyms, hired asst. coaches with local connections to stem that tide. It's difficult with the success of Iowa, allure of Lindsey Whalen and Marquette's continued success. And, ironically, guess who is now in charge of Marquette? Yup, Megan Duffy.

So, he's 44-79 (pre-B1G tourney) and the next class is supposed to be better. He signed a five-year deal and has allegedly gotten extensions. I think he'll get at least one, maybe two, to see if this approach works to waken a sleeping program. Right about now, he could use a Skylar Diggins, Kayla McBride or Jonquel Jones -- even Maddie Cable or Hannah Schaible -- to come aboard.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Tsipis isn't terrible, but he needs to do better soon. I see him around for another year or 2.

Some of the others that I do think are terrible have probably done enough to stay.

Coale to me is really on the hot seat - whatever happened to OK (that's rhetorical, really)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Travis Mays-SMU
Sherri Coale-Oklahoma
Karen Aston-Texas
Outside of firing with cause, no one will be fired while the contract still has years and dollars on it.
Coale's contract runs thru June 2022, 2 more years
Tsipis contract runs thru June 2021, 1 more years
Stephanie White's contract runs through June 2022, 2 more years

Karen's contract is up at the end of this year and I think she needs a Sweet 16 run to save it. Given a poor recruiting class coming in, a wider gap growing between Baylor and Texas and constant underachievement, she's got a lot of explaining to do.

Travis Mays contract was not disclosed but it is speculated it was for 6 years thru 2022 season (Mar-Apr-Jun). Rarely does a school just fire someone and have to buyout the remaining years in non-revenue sports (Tenn did this last year with Holly), so unless some additional grievances come to light that the school did not know about, they are on the hook for his last 2 years. Frankly, they should eat that cost and do what's right but who knows.

Did Jen Hoover do enough for Wake Forest this year?
Brandon Schneider at Kansas has 2 more years until March 2022.
Melissa McFerrin has one more year at Memphis March 2021
Matilda Mossman has been at Tulsa 9 years and while her contract terms are not public, her tenure at Tulsa has to be tenuous.
Nancy Fahey at Illinois is a cautionary tale of a great D2 coach struggling in 3 years of D1. She's signed thru March 2023

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I'm in no way a Tsipis enthusist but don't quite see how he can be labeled based on his long-term stay at Notre Dame, succussful stint at GW and incomplete work at Wisconsin.....

- He got the GW job largely based on his job as associate head coach and chief recruiter for Muffet McGraw. While Niele Ivey is largely known for working on/with Skylar Diggins, Tsipis brought in loads of other top contributors, Kayla McBride and Natalie Novosel to Maddie Cable. McGraw was/is a huge supporter of his.
What's interesting is all the success that MEN have had who have worked for MM but yet she doesn't want to give MEN any more positions...interesting...:rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I wish UConn had the opportunity to crush Mays one more time this year. I feel for the players on all of his teams, but another nice 50 points behind whuppin' would make me smile.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I still can't see Wake Forest parting ways with Jen Hoover, perhaps the best player in program history. She has Wake Forest competitive in a competitive ACC (this down year for the conference notwithstanding).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rarely does a school just fire someone and have to buyout the remaining years in non-revenue sports (Tenn did this last year with Holly), so unless some additional grievances come to light that the school did not know about, they are on the hook for his last 2 years. Frankly, they should eat that cost and do what's right but who knows.
This is purely a technical comment - but Women's Basketball is classified as a Revenue Sport, generally. Is it - no, not really, I suppose.

Your greater comment is 100% correct, we suffered with 2 years of Niya Butts after the writing was engraved on the wall because they wouldn't buy her out - for very little. OTH, I will admit that Arizona is considered relatively stingy.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What's interesting is all the success that MEN have had who have worked for MM but yet she doesn't want to give MEN any more positions...interesting...:rolleyes:

Who else is there besides Tsipis who has had about a .500 win record as a head coach?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Who else is there besides Tsipis who has had about a .500 win record as a head coach?

That would be Kevin McGuff, who served as an assistant coach for six years. During his time, Notre Dame went 160–39, including a national title in 2001. He then went to Xavier (of Ohio), the first of his head-coaching positions.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
This is purely a technical comment - but Women's Basketball is classified as a Revenue Sport, generally. Is it - no, not really, I suppose.

Your greater comment is 100% correct, we suffered with 2 years of Niya Butts after the writing was engraved on the wall because they wouldn't buy her out - for very little. OTH, I will admit that Arizona is considered relatively stingy.
On the plus side, Adia is really, really good and has that program looking very good. I do wish they would play a less "physical" style given the nice set of players you have. This team is more than McDonald-Reese, Thomas, McBride, Pueyo and Alonso that all have an offensive skill set-no need to resort to ASU thug ball...

If I may ask, where did you see it listed as a "revenue sport" as in all my dealings with 3 different D1 schools as one of the "sports support group" leaders, never was it listed as such. In fact, in my research from 2016, only UConn had mad money at WCBB. So from a "sport perspective" not really a discussion. Just curious why.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I still can't see Wake Forest parting ways with Jen Hoover, perhaps the best player in program history. She has Wake Forest competitive in a competitive ACC (this down year for the conference notwithstanding).
This was the 1st and only year she was competitive (if tied for 11th and 13th seed is competitive). Now compare that to what the BC coach did...it's not even close.

2012-13 13-19 (.406), 5-13 ACC (T-9th)
2013-1415-16 (.484), 5-11 ACC (11th)
2014-15 RPI 18613-20 (.394), 2-14 ACC (13th)SoS 229
2015-16 RPI 8617-16 (.515), 6-10 ACC (10th)SoS 253
2016-17 RPI 9116-16 (.500), 6-10 ACC (9th)SoS 146
2017-18 RPI 11114-17 (.452), 5-11 ACC (11th)SoS 212
2018-19 RPI 14910-20 (.333), 1-15 ACC (15th)SoS 94

2019-20 RPI 127 14-15, 7-11 tie 11th, 13th on tiebreaker. SoS 115

...so tell me again how's she "kept them competitive, this year not with standing" as to me, this is not competitive and add in the extremely soft OOC, tells me below AVERAGE.

Reaction Score
On the plus side, Adia is really, really good and has that program looking very good. I do wish they would play a less "physical" style given the nice set of players you have. This team is more than McDonald-Reese, Thomas, McBride, Pueyo and Alonso that all have an offensive skill set-no need to resort to ASU thug ball...

If I may ask, where did you see it listed as a "revenue sport" as in all my dealings with 3 different D1 schools as one of the "sports support group" leaders, never was it listed as such. In fact, in my research from 2016, only UConn had mad money at WCBB. So from a "sport perspective" not really a discussion. Just curious why.
I agree about Barnes. I would characterize both Wildcat and Sun Devil defense as intense, focused and physical.

Aari McDonald was named Defensive player of the year, Robbi Ryan was All PAC and Kiki Russell was honorable mention all defense.
88006648_10157863609652707_668635079802617856_o.jpg

All non thuggish honors recognizing excellence.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Now if we could only get rid of Joan from announcing their games...she's almost as a bad as Deb "is there a game on that I should perform analysis on vs. promoting my own ACC agenda" Antonelli.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In recent years they've missed out on landing in state recruits Arike Ogunbowale, Sidney Cooks, Samantha Logic, and two top 30 recruits for 2020 (Kapinus/Donarski)..
My guess his biggest Wisconsin miss was clearly Megan Gustafson from Port Wing, Wisconsin and played for South Shore High School. It would have helped him if he had the Big 10 POY and Iowa didn't. .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom