Coaching Hot Seat? | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat?

Reaction Score
  • UNC — time for Mack to retire for good
  • UAB — only 2 seasons so Dilfer may get more time but so far a disaster
  • Fla — buyout likely too big
  • FSU — ditto
  • Pur — also only 2 years
  • Aub — who would’ve thought that hiring a scumbag wouldn’t work? But also only 2 years
  • USC ? Lincoln Riley has not exactly turned out as promised

Reaction Score
Norvell at FSU isn't in any danger, but Napier at Florida needs a miracle. His buyout won't save him.

Reaction Score
Don Brown has got to be fired at UMass. They are pathetic.

Quote from an article on yahoo sports/AP

“I almost think the speed of the game surprised us a little bit,” UMass coach Don Brown said.

Reaction Score
Don Brown has got to be fired at UMass. They are pathetic.

Quote from an article on yahoo sports/AP

“I almost think the speed of the game surprised us a little bit,” UMass coach Don Brown said.

One side note from this game is Drew Pyne is the back up QB at Missouri. Quite a career. Three years at ND (with one great year), one at AZ St. and now at Missouri playing back up minutes against their weakest opponents.

Will, perhaps, the new look NCAA with NIL and revenue sharing prompt some of these kids to lose the stars in their eyes and seize the opportunity to develop while playing meaningful minutes at UConn. Or is a scholarship from ND too tempting?

Reaction Score
One side note from this game is Drew Pyne is the back up QB at Missouri. Quite a career. Three years at ND (with one great year), one at AZ St. and now at Missouri playing back up minutes against their weakest opponents.

Will, perhaps, the new look NCAA with NIL and revenue sharing prompt some of these kids to lose the stars in their eyes and seize the opportunity to develop while playing meaningful minutes at UConn. Or is a scholarship from ND too tempting?
Good question. Was watching Jeff Sims backup a freshman at Arizona State and wondered why we couldn't land a kid like that. I get CT angle with Pyne, but productive QBs that bounce around to end their careers as backups somewhere seems strange.

Reaction Score
Good question. Was watching Jeff Sims backup a freshman at Arizona State and wondered why we couldn't land a kid like that. I get CT angle with Pyne, but productive QBs that bounce around to end their careers as backups somewhere seems strange.
ego is a hell of a drug

Reaction Score
Here is the primary reason UConn has struggled attracting good QBs:

Scoring Offense:
2024: #24, 35.8 pts/game
2023: #121, 19.1 pts/game
2022: #117, 19.4 pts/game
2021: #129, 15.6 pts/game
2019: #120: 18.4 pts/game
2018: #112, 22.2 pts/game
2017: #103, 23.6 pts/hame

Hopefully, 2024's offensive production will change the narrative.

The top HS QBs are going to commit to top programs, but the top programs recruit top QBs every season and many will transfer. That is UConn's opportunity. Getting top QBs who didn't gain the starting QB spot to transfer to UConn. With an attractive offense and NIL, it makes it easier.

Reaction Score
Here is the primary reason UConn has struggled attracting good QBs:

Scoring Offense:
2024: #24, 35.8 pts/game
2023: #121, 19.1 pts/game
2022: #117, 19.4 pts/game
2021: #129, 15.6 pts/game
2019: #120: 18.4 pts/game
2018: #112, 22.2 pts/game
2017: #103, 23.6 pts/hame

Hopefully, 2024's offensive production will change the narrative.

The top HS QBs are going to commit to top programs, but the top programs recruit top QBs every season and many will transfer. That is UConn's opportunity. Getting top QBs who didn't gain the starting QB spot to transfer to UConn. With an attractive offense and NIL, it makes it easier.
Trust me, i get our futility on offense plays a role, but you're not putting up better numbers sitting on the bench.

Reaction Score
Trust me, i get our futility on offense plays a role, but you're not putting up better numbers sitting on the bench.
Their choice has been to compete for a starting job on a team that has a good offense and plays top competition or be a guaranteed starter on a team with a bad offense against weaker competition. If you have a good offense, the QBs will want to come.

Reaction Score
Norvell at FSU isn't in any danger, but Napier at Florida needs a miracle. His buyout won't save him.

It’s funny because someone said his buyout is too big. Are people even paying attention? Buyouts don’t matter in the SEC.

Reaction Score
This could be their normal season moving forward
Other than the money that is now flowing into Norman, they’ll regret leaving their old Big 12 Brethren. The novelty of The SEC will wear off after getting waxed by UGA, UT, and LSU for a few years. Their auto bid into the playoff will be replaced with games against Iowa in the Outback Bowl.

Reaction Score
Other than the money that is now flowing into Norman, they’ll regret leaving their old Big 12 Brethren. The novelty of The SEC will wear off after getting waxed by UGA, UT, and LSU for a few years. Their auto bid into the playoff will be replaced with games against Iowa in the Outback Bowl.
This is going to be a problem for lots of schools in the Big 10/SEC. Schools that are used to being in the top 2 or 3 year in and year out in their conference, will probably have more losses and could be in the top 5 to 7 now. Schools like Washington, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn St., USC, Oregon,... In the past, one of those schools can have a mediocre team and only have 2 losses. No more.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a problem for lots of schools in the Big 10/SEC. Schools that are used to being in the top 2 or 3 year in and year out in their conference, will probably have more losses and could be in the top 5 to 7 now. Schools like Washington, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn St., USC, Oregon,... In the past, one of those schools can have a mediocre team and only have 2 losses. No more.

If only there were a solution …. :cool:

Reaction Score
Not on hot seat yet but Lance Leipold and Kansas were expected to be very good (preseason top 25) and are currently 1-5 and deadlast in Big 12.

Reaction Score
Not on hot seat yet but Lance Leipold and Kansas were expected to be very good (preseason top 25) and are currently 1-5 and deadlast in Big 12.
He may have missed his window to jump to another job, if he was interested in one. Feels like survival mode for him now.

Reaction Score

They are losing close games. He's got enough equity built up there.

Kansas won't find a better coach, and Lance didn't forget how to coach overnight.

Reaction Score
Good point. Sooners could easily go 7-5 with games @Ole Miss, v Bama, @ LSU, @ Mizzou, v SCar.
Oklahoma is going to become another Nebraska in the SEC. I think long term Texas will too. Opening the door to the SEC into their recruiting grounds won’t end well for either one.
Leopold probably still has some goodwill at Kansas, but that is a really difficult job.

The other one I think is probably feeling some heat is Kelly. LSU isn’t paying him $10 million to lose to a mediocre USC and play in the Reliaquest Bowl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom