Coaching Hot Seat Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat Poll

Which coach will be fired/resign before next season?

• Hatchell (UNC)

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • McCallie (Duke)

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Warlick (Tenn)

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • S. White (Vandy)

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Coale (Okla)

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • WakeF/LSU/TCU/Colo/Nwstern/Ohio St

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other P5 (54 schools)

Votes: 15 16.1%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Judging from the information (the noted comments of w-i-d-e s-p-r-e-a-d discontent on their booster threads) we've been hearing about, it appears that most of the LV fan base has had enough of Holly Warlick. Even the most loyal LV fans are ready for a change.
:eek:

I’m not sure how much message boards are representative of the fan base, particularly in WCBb which has a lot of older, less computer literate fans.

And as we have seen, many teams, even good ones, have little/no web presence.

Reaction Score
Cori Close just got an extension and is beloved in Westwood by the administration. She is an inferior coach, IMO, but deserves a few years to prove she's not. I think Close is one of those coaches who would really benefit from a top notch assistant.

I think another Pac coach, Cal's Lindsay Gottleib is in much worse shape. She loses Anigwe this year and has nothing coming in but her buyout is huge.
She can recruit, but once they’re on campus she can’t get all those highly ranked recruits to produce much. I agree about Gottlieb.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's not about helping WCBB, it's about having TN (particularly TN fans) suffer.
Sorry. I love WCBB too much to enjoy UT's sufferring over the future quality of the product it graduates.. Yeah, I enjoy watching the very old windbags over there on VolNation that just can't let the ravings of a mind addled Summitt go. I enjoy that very much. But I will never enjoy watching a Mercedes Russell, who deserved far better, struggle to be more than the medicore player she is, simply because she chose an incompetent college coach. That just seems cuel to me.

Reaction Score
I think the most likely to get fired are Warlick and White. I think JPM will be around a little longer. She should be fired tho.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry. I love WCBB too much to enjoy UT's sufferring over the future quality of the product it graduates.. Yeah, I enjoy watching the very old windbags over there on VolNation that just can't let the ravings of a mind addled Summitt go. I enjoy that very much. But I will never enjoy watching a Mercedes Russell, who deserved far better, struggle to be more than the medicore player she is, simply because she chose an incompetent college coach. That just seems cuel to me.
You're missing some great shadenfreude. :D

Seems kewl to me. ;)

Reaction Score
I've got to run out the door, but this is what a quick search yielded:

- NC & Hatchell: Extended until 2020
- Duke & McAllie: Extended until 2021
- Vandy & White: She signed a six-year deal when she came aboard in 2016. Wonder what the buyout is?
- U Tenn & Warlick: Fullmer extended her until 2021-22.
- LSU & Vargas: Just got a three-year extension, but the payout is "only" $300k.

Even quicker thoughts:
- NC will let Sylvia Hatchell finish out her stint.
- Duke AD White never met a big decision he would pass on. She's got an interesting '19 recruiting class coming in and a mess of injuries. Not yet.
- Vandy. This one's not working, but there's a lot of cash there. Does not behoove Steph to leave voluntarily. Only thought: if Katie Smith has trouble with new owners in NYC, could Steph rebound there?
- LSU. Year by year....the payout is low.
- Ohio State. McGuff is winning some games he has no right doing so with transfers and duct tape. Plus, he's got Kiersten Bell and a highly rated class coming in. He stays.

Reaction Score
If Sylvia Hatchell were to leave NC, I wonder if Shea Ralph would be given the opportunity? She is from North Carolina and I have no doubt she would be able to help turn that program around.

Reaction Score
If Sylvia Hatchell were to leave NC, I wonder if Shea Ralph would be given the opportunity? She is from North Carolina and I have no doubt she would be able to help turn that program around.

Shea's Mom was an All-American at UNC. But the Heels missed their window with Shea. A few years ago I think they could've gotten her.

Charlotte Smith, former UNC star, is currently at Elon and considered the favorite.

Reaction Score
When you included "resign" in your poll line it does not have to be a "hot seat" person. If you wanted it only a hot seat I would not have included people who might resign. Not every coach who resigns is on a hot seat.
As for Geno wanting to leave his successor with a loaded team, that doesnt have to be the case. His comments this year make me feel he has had enough with the current, and perhaps future players in WCBB.
That’s just his schtick. He doesn’t have the talent level he’d like to have this year. If he gets who he wants in the next two recruiting classes he’ll be all cocky and happy again.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I’m not sure how much message boards are representative of the fan base, particularly in WCBb which has a lot of older, less computer literate fans.

And as we have seen, many teams, even good ones, have little/no web presence.
I Will say that the local papers and talk shows are openly saying change needs to come and who will UT hire adds credence this is widespread. Add in the fact Dawn Staley felt the need to advocate for her friend further enforces the fact this isn’t just the malcontents on that orange board.

Reaction Score
I don't know one opposing teams coach that wouldn't want Holly to continue to lead the helm at Tennessee.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't know one opposing teams coach that wouldn't want Holly to continue to lead the helm at Tennessee.
Maybe Fargas, so she can take over?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We aren't that lucky. She would have her entire house packed and inside Knoxville within two hours if she got the call.
There are undoubtedly some in Knoxville who would like to keep the team in Pat's lineage. And she's pretty much the only viable candidate among them, as far as I know. Stranger things have happened!

Reaction Score
Probably the only sure way to tell if a coach is really on the hot seat is to get a look at their bare bottoms to see if they are red or not. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Probably the only sure way to tell if a coach is really on the hot seat is to get a look at their bare bottoms to see if they are red or not. :rolleyes:
Hmmm... I am at the ASU-UCLA game right now. Maybe during pregame I should offer to do a hot-seat inspection for CTT...?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We aren't that lucky. She would have her entire house packed and inside Knoxville within two hours if she got the call.
I might have missed it in other threads, but what are your thoughts on Fargas as a coach, recruiter, etc. There's been some disagreement as to just how good a job she's done - both at UCLA and at LSU... But as a LSU fan, you follow her more closely than any of us who mostly just look at stats and draw conclusions...

Reaction Score
I might have missed it in other threads, but what are your thoughts on Fargas as a coach, recruiter, etc. There's been some disagreement as to just how good a job she's done - both at UCLA and at LSU... But as a LSU fan, you follow her more closely than any of us who mostly just look at stats and draw conclusions...

At LSU I expected more from her, she has been mediocre. We have never been bad but haven't been very good either. Her accomplishments at LSU came with the last coaches players. Her kids have never made it past the first round. Under her tenure, South Carolina and Miss St state passed our program, while we lag behind. We are never ranked in the top 25 nationally, the recruiting is erratic.

Her recruiting has been the biggest issue. Going back to her UCLA days, her last two recruiting classes weren't great, she had left before it took a toll on UCLA, even some UCLA people could go into detail more about that. When she has the talent, she does well but the issue is she has never had a full roster at LSU that had 3-4 talented players. She seems to get the most out of kids but when you are limited in terms of the kids ceiling, it is what it is. We have had issues with kids getting suspended, quitting the program, or transferring. We heavily rely on transfers due to misses in recruiting. There is no stability which brings more issues.

She is not the worst coach in the world at all, she will never have awful seasons but I have yet to see anything that she can build and sustain a top program. She knows her X's and O's but the types of kids she recruits and the discipline/management of players in her program leave a lot to be desire. She is in year 8 and we haven't really accomplished anything.

I will root for my LSU tigers to win every game but I really want to move on from her. She constantly makes excuses as to why she can't have success at LSU. She has allowed some of the states best talent leave the state almost every year. It also seems like she isn't hungry and motivated as she was in the past, its pretty noticeable to people who are close to the program.

Reaction Score
Vandy will give White another year I believe. Gives Kim Rosamond four years as a head coach before they call her back in to take over. She was a long time assistant and great recruiter. Has her team #1 in their conference in only her third year.

Tennessee Tech

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I voted for McCallie and Coale. As far as Holly, I think Phil Fulmer is looking at the job she's done as an island, without the history Pat brought previously. She's won 73% of her games and I just don't think Fulmer will fire her unless they end up with an awful record.

I also don't think Vandy will fire Stephanie White after only 3 seasons.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Since is thread started, quite a few new revelations have been exposed.
1. Holly won a game! Holly has not only become more outspoken on her position, other coaches have come to her defense and Fulmer has remained steadfast by being silent. I think she’s safe for another year.
2. Hatchell won her biggest game in 10 years and may even qualify for the NCAA!
3. Coale has 3 years left on her contract at $1.1 mil, she is not getting fired.
4. Same with Fargas, 3 years left and no money to buy her out.
5. McCallie is having a bad year. As a private school, who knows how much she is really making but suspect it’s $1 mil+. And she has 2 years left. I don’t think they are firing her. Her winning percentage is still pretty good even if they are not royalty any more.
6. Stephanie White-ah, here’s the one nugget that may be on the hot seat! She’s been abysmal in her three years and it is only getting worse. She did well her first year with the prior coaches players, however her own recruited players have either left or underachieved and next years class is so-so with one player of 94 score.
To me, she’s over rated as a coach and developer who is overpaid and has a lot of overpaid assistants to the return on investment is atrocious. Pack your bags!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Vol fan fave John Adams says Holly isn't going anywhere. He says time to fire Holly was after last season. Instead, she signed a new contract. He says new standard is 20 wins and make the NCAA tournament.

UT Lady Vols' losing streak is over, but what's next for team, Holly Warlick?

After the noise subsided and the smoke cleared, Tennessee actually won a game – thanks greatly to an accommodating LSU team, which handled the basketball as though the two had just been introduced in pregame warmups.

The Lady Tigers (12-7, 3-4 SEC) committed 25 turnovers, made only two second-quarter field goals and missed three consecutive layups when trailing by eight points in the fourth quarter on the way to a 74-65 defeat.

. . .

Tennessee has underachieved while too often losing games against less talented teams this season. Youth aside, its roster includes seven McDonald’s All-Americans. The team frequently has looked poorly coached or motivated; its defense is maddeningly inconsistent; and it’s terribly lacking in good shooters – as evidenced by its 0-for-13 shooting from 3-point range against LSU.

Reaction Score
She can recruit, but once they’re on campus she can’t get all those highly ranked recruits to produce much. I agree about Gottlieb.
In respect to " she can recruit" who are you referring to? Gottlieb or Close? It couldn't be Gottleib because her roster is getting weaker the longer she is there. Unfortunately unless she resigns she will be there till her contract expires. The AD made a huge mistake when he jumped the gun and extended her contract.

Close can recruit, but the level of coaching and play in the Pac 12 has risen and many programs or are on the verge of passing UCLA. I never had much respect for Close's coaching chops but Gottlieb was a real disappointment.

Hatchel has the support of both the administration and enough of the fan base so she is safe as long as she want to coach. The Duke coach is also safe because the AD will not fire her probably out of principle. The same reason the coach stuck it out. The people that wanted her to leave made the tactical mistake of pushing to hard ( making the issue about personality rather than basketball ) so that both McCalley and the AD have dug in their heels even deeper. Of course health issues might do the trick for them.

As much as Holly has the personal support of the AD and the administration, I can not see how the can keep her much longer. I mean the standards and expectations for Tenn are set so high that mediocrity will not be tolerated for too much longer. The Tenn brand and reputation is close to being worn out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom