Coaching Hot Seat Poll | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat Poll

Which coach will be fired/resign before next season?

• Hatchell (UNC)

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • McCallie (Duke)

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Warlick (Tenn)

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • S. White (Vandy)

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Coale (Okla)

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • WakeF/LSU/TCU/Colo/Nwstern/Ohio St

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other P5 (54 schools)

Votes: 15 16.1%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I dont have the info on contract enddates which may be _the_ key piece of information. But others may know...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sue Semaru at FSU signed an extension which runs through 2020. She is a former COY for WBB and might get pulled to another program. I would think FSU would have an extension on the table by now if they were intent on keeping her.

Reaction Score
Sue Semaru at FSU signed an extension which runs through 2020. She is a former COY for WBB and might get pulled to another program. I would think FSU would have an extension on the table by now if they were intent on keeping her.

uhhh, ok ?

The intent of this post is about programs that are doing poorly. Not the ones where the coach moves on to better opportunities.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I dont have the info on contract enddates which may be _the_ key piece of information. But others may know...

Warlick seem like obvious choice but I may just be wishful.

McCallie should go but guessing they keep her another year or two since they just had back to back solid seasons with Lexie Brown.

Coale built her program from scratch and has a young roster so I'm guessing she'll get a longer leash. Maybe another year or 2 to see what she can do since she has proven to be an effective coach in the past.

White is only in her 3rd season. Guessing they give her 1 more year to right the ship.

Hatchell also built her program from scratch so I can't see her getting axed but wouldn't be surprised if she steps down at the end of the year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I've got to run out the door, but this is what a quick search yielded:

- NC & Hatchell: Extended until 2020
- Duke & McAllie: Extended until 2021
- Vandy & White: She signed a six-year deal when she came aboard in 2016. Wonder what the buyout is?
- U Tenn & Warlick: Fullmer extended her until 2021-22.
- LSU & Vargas: Just got a three-year extension, but the payout is "only" $300k.

Even quicker thoughts:
- NC will let Sylvia Hatchell finish out her stint.
- Duke AD White never met a big decision he would pass on. She's got an interesting '19 recruiting class coming in and a mess of injuries. Not yet.
- Vandy. This one's not working, but there's a lot of cash there. Does not behoove Steph to leave voluntarily. Only thought: if Katie Smith has trouble with new owners in NYC, could Steph rebound there?
- LSU. Year by year....the payout is low.
- Ohio State. McGuff is winning some games he has no right doing so with transfers and duct tape. Plus, he's got Kiersten Bell and a highly rated class coming in. He stays.

Reaction Score
Note to voters: the question is not who _should_ get fired or who is the worst coach, but who most likely won't be there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The question I have for all the HC’s listed is, “Does the school, fan base and AD care enough about WBB to make a change?” The closest anyone gets to YES is TN, but even there I wonder if Phil Fulmer will remove Holly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The question I have for all the HC’s listed is, “Does the school, fan base and AD care enough about WBB to make a change?” The closest anyone gets to YES is TN, but even there I wonder if Phil Fulmer will remove Holly.
In general, no the AD do not care enough.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Warlick seem like obvious choice but I may just be wishful.

McCallie should go but guessing they keep her another year or two since they just had back to back solid seasons with Lexie Brown.

Coale built her program from scratch and has a young roster so I'm guessing she'll get a longer leash. Maybe another year or 2 to see what she can do since she has proven to be an effective coach in the past.

White is only in her 3rd season. Guessing they give her 1 more year to right the ship.

Hatchell also built her program from scratch so I can't see her getting axed but wouldn't be surprised if she steps down at the end of the year.

I would be surprised if there are any UConn fans that would like to see Warlick fired. Keep her on as head coach she's doing just fine. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if there are any UConn fans that would like to see Warlick fired. Keep her on as head coach she's doing just fine. :D
Exactly how does failing to coach up young ladies, Russell, Desheilds, Cooper, Graves and all of this current crop help WCBB?

Reaction Score
Re: "should, or "will"

Despite the contract extension and that the AD does not want to fire Holly, I think he will be forced into it if this string of losses continues, because the Tennessee press and game announcers, who up to now have coddled Holly, are now questioning why a team with such great recruiting classes is playing so badly.

Could it possibility be the coaching? Novel idea!

Reaction Score
Cori Close just got an extension and is beloved in Westwood by the administration. She is an inferior coach, IMO, but deserves a few years to prove she's not. I think Close is one of those coaches who would really benefit from a top notch assistant.

I think another Pac coach, Cal's Lindsay Gottleib is in much worse shape. She loses Anigwe this year and has nothing coming in but her buyout is huge.

Reaction Score
There are 5 selections for other. I was one of the 5(so far)
My pick is Geno of UConn.

Geez Louise. The title of the thread is "hot seat," and every named choice is a team doing poorly. How much more clear need I be that this was about coaches in trouble of losing their jobs or being forced out?

Secondly, I think Geno is too competitive to go out on a down note. He will want to leave his successor with a loaded team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Exactly how does failing to coach up young ladies, Russell, Desheilds, Cooper, Graves and all of this current crop help WCBB?
It's not about helping WCBB, it's about having TN (particularly TN fans) suffer.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Geez Louise. The title of the thread is "hot seat," and every named choice is a team doing poorly. How much more clear need I be that this was about coaches in trouble of losing their jobs or being forced out?

Secondly, I think Geno is too competitive to go out on a down note. He will want to leave his successor with a loaded team.
When you included "resign" in your poll line it does not have to be a "hot seat" person. If you wanted it only a hot seat I would not have included people who might resign. Not every coach who resigns is on a hot seat.
As for Geno wanting to leave his successor with a loaded team, that doesnt have to be the case. His comments this year make me feel he has had enough with the current, and perhaps future players in WCBB.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For your individual coaches, others have laid out some of the reasons it may be a bit unlikely. I picked McCallie, but more because of Cameron's remarks regarding her health, as well as the unprecedented (I think) poor start to the season.

Your group, I'm not sure:
Wake - do they care enough. She hasn't been awful, but not good enough if you want a decent program
LSU - probably not on a hot seat. Not great record, but far from terrible
TCU - not sure its "urgent" but I could see her seat being fairly warm
Colorado - 3rd year, probably get another one
Northwestern - just doubt it. He's a quality coach, if a little odd. Met him outside the GW arena back in the day, having his coffee before the game. Greeted us as Rutgers fans and also stopped and visited with the Rutgers bus load inside the arena.
Ohio State - not yet. Knew this was a rebuilding year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Judging from the information (the noted comments of w-i-d-e s-p-r-e-a-d discontent on their booster threads) we've been hearing about, it appears that most of the LV fan base has had enough of Holly Warlick. Even the most loyal LV fans appear ready for a change.

When a river crests its banks, and floods the surrounding area, that constitutes an EMERGENCY. Evacuations and corrective measures must be taken by the local authorities until the rain stops, the water recedes and things return to normal. Until then, you MUST do everything possible to mitigate the impending danger and consequences.

Right now there are "dark" storm clouds over the LV program (losers of their last 5 games. 4 of those losses to unranked teams) that aren't going away. The LV are at the bottom of the SEC conference standings at 1-5, just above winless Vanderbilt (0-5).

Tennessee is thought by many to be an elite program on the rise. Especially given the influx of 5 star talent they have on their roster, and the elite 5 star talent that is coming in next year. How can this be? It’s often said “you’ve got to have the horses to run a race.

They've got the horses, and they’re going in the wrong direction, so it must be the jockey.

Here's the weather report for Knoxville for the foreseeable future - HEAVY thunderstorms and monsoonal type rains will continue, because the storm system is NOT moving out. It's "stalled" right over Knoxville, thus the flood waters will continue to rise with no end in sight. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
For your
Northwestern - just doubt it. He's a quality coach, if a little odd. Met him .

My thought on NW is that he’s getting up there so I could see him being eased towards the door given the mediocre performance.
Oh but didn’t they have the player suicide last year? If he handled that well, and I think he did, that could engender more good will from the admin.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My thought on NW is that he’s getting up there so I could see him being eased towards the door given the mediocre performance.
Oh but didn’t they have the player suicide last year? If he handled that well, and I think he did, that could engender more good will from the admin.
Thanks - he's 6 months older than I am. Glad to know my status.

I'm not sure his career isn't coming to a close, I just don't see it as being abrupt. Part of the reason he is at Northwestern is he has a special needs child (autism) that is receiving good care in the Chicagoland area, part of the reason he moved there 10 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom