Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

Reaction Score
Rick Insell has accomplished a lot at MTSU and IMO should be considered. I don't know if he would take the job as he has a good thing going at MTSU. I also don't know if he has the required personality to compete with the other SEC Head Coaches. However he should be able to build the program back to the levels that Jim Foster and Melanie Balcomb had where Vandy was going to the Tournament every year.

Rick Insell is 69 years old. It would surprise me a lot if Vandy were to go in that direction at this point, even though he is, as you say, a successful coach.

Reaction Score
Rick Insell is 69 years old. It would surprise me a lot if Vandy were to go in that direction at this point, even though he is, as you say, a successful coach.
That was my thought but just hadn’t voiced it. Rosamond could get a look and wouldn’t be expensive either.

Reaction Score
Don't know what the Campus Life and Culture is at Vanderbilt, but from the Outside, it appears that it is a Sleeping Giant just waiting to be woken. Vanderbilt is a great Education Institution in a Great Mid Size City (Nashville) that has a lot going for itself. Nashville is more then just Country Music ?

Rick Insell has accomplished a lot at MTSU and IMO should be considered. I don't know if he would take the job as he has a good thing going at MTSU. I also don't know if he has the required personality to compete with the other SEC Head Coaches. However he should be able to build the program back to the levels that Jim Foster and Melanie Balcomb had where Vandy was going to the Tournament every year.
I very much doubt that any major basketball school would hire a 70 year old coach. MTSU will let him stay till he wants to go, but hiring a coach at that age is super risky, unless it's Geno or another championship level coach, and how many years would they stay there trying to rebuild before retiring.

Reaction Score
Here is VU's campus publication's list - some intriguing names and some head-scratchers, but ... isn't that almost always the case with these kinds of lists?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Are there any rumors about who Oklahoma is targeting to replace Sherri Coale ?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thought on the Vandy job: With Sue Semrau iback to Florida State, is one successful year at the helm of the Seminoles enough to merit consideration for Brooke Wyckoff for the Vandy job? Before her one year of HCing, she's been with Semrau for quite some time.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thought on the Vandy job: With Sue Semrau iback to Florida State, is one successful year at the helm of the Seminoles enough to merit consideration for Brooke Wyckoff for the Vandy job? Before her one year of HCing, she's been with Semrau for quite some time.
Of all the newbies this year (Ivey, McCray, Elzy, Lawson) who came from lower programs or were an Assistant, and took over P5 programs, she did by far the best of the lot. In my estimation, yes, she has earned the opportunity to take on a P5 job. I watched her early in the season and she too struggled to coach games late but she learned and did a lot better by the end of the year. Unlike a certain unnamed Green coach who consistently whittled away games in the 4th during the whole season....sorry, couldn't resist...

Brooke shouldn't wait any more for Sue to decide when to retire. Go West young lady, go west!...or North but that's not what Horace Greely had written.. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Of all the newbies this year (Ivey, McCray, Elzy, Lawson) who came from lower programs or were an Assistant, and took over P5 programs, she did by far the best of the lot. In my estimation, yes, she has earned the opportunity to take on a P5 job. I watched her early in the season and she too struggled to coach games late but she learned and did a lot better by the end of the year. Unlike a certain unnamed Green coach who consistently whittled away games in the 4th during the whole season....sorry, couldn't resist...

Brooke shouldn't wait any more for Sue to decide when to retire. Go West young lady, go west!...or North but that's not what Horace Greely had written.. ;)

Get both the Greely and other "green" references. No offense taken on the latter. Truth may sting, but it's still the truth. ;)

(In all fairness, one area of improvement was in handling back-court pressure: Niele correctly deduced that having freshmen Olivia Miles and Maddy Westbeld figure it out wasn't such a bad start..having incoming frosh Sonia Citron should help, too ?.

We're also in agreement on Ms. Wyckoff, who should look for and pursue an appropriate opportunity. Shes' ready.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hot take: The Rice job is at this point more prestigious and holds more promise than the Vanderbilt job.

Houston > Nashville :)

Reaction Score
March 17: Sherri Coale announces her retirement from OU (which was almost certainly discussed at length with administration).
March 24: Lon Kruger announces his retirement from OU (also very likely discussed ahead of time).
April 1: Porter Moser announced as new mens' BB coach at OU.

April 8th and counting - no news about OU WBB coaching hire (though The BallOut claims to have a rumor - it's password protected).

I hope SA's are paying attention to the priority that OU is giving their women's program.

Reaction Score
The finalists for the Montana position:
  • Oregon associate head coach Mark Campbell
  • Oregon State associate head coach Brian Holsinger
  • North Texas (former Texas) associate head coach Jamie Carey
  • Montana interim head coach Mike Petrino

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The finalists for the Montana position:
  • Oregon associate head coach Mark Campbell
  • Oregon State associate head coach Brian Holsinger
  • North Texas (former Texas) associate head coach Jamie Carey
  • Montana interim head coach Mike Petrino

Surprised to see Campbell (apparently) interested in this job. No offense to our Big Sky folks but that's not a good step up from being (reportedly) one of the hottest ACs in the country.

Reaction Score
Surprised to see Campbell (apparently) interested in this job. No offense to our Big Sky folks but that's not a good step up from being (reportedly) one of the hottest ACs in the country.
My thoughts precisely. If he doesn’t get it, it means either he withdrew or Montana screwed up.

He helped take both Oregon State and Oregon from the bottom of the Pac-12 to the top of the Pac-12 rather quickly.

But if he wants to stay in the PNW, I don’t really see any of those Pac-12 jobs opening up in the next year. I was shocked he didn’t seem to be a higher priority candidate for UW.

Reaction Score
Hot take: The Rice job is at this point more prestigious and holds more promise than the Vanderbilt job.

Hot as in anybody touching that is gonna get burned.
SEC>>Cusa

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was shocked he didn’t seem to be a higher priority candidate for UW.
There were fairly persistent rumors that the AD was locked into hiring a woman for the the position.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
March 17: Sherri Coale announces her retirement from OU (which was almost certainly discussed at length with administration).
March 24: Lon Kruger announces his retirement from OU (also very likely discussed ahead of time).

April 8th and counting - no news about OU WBB coaching hire (though The BallOut claims to have a rumor - it's password protected).

I hope SA's are paying attention to the priority that OU is giving their women's program.
What, as opposed to the priority they gave it the last 4 years when Coale let it wither and last year when she abandoned her team during Black LivesMatter discussions? I would rather have them get it right by waiting a bit than rush it and get it wrong. Unless you really felt Langley should have gotten the job (I didn’t) no one worthwhile has landed at another program to cause consternation. Seems like they still have all their options open for assistant coaches or Mid-major HC’s

Reaction Score

I don't know why you are implying that they are doing wrong. What if Moser was their first offer and he accepted quickly? OU could have swung high and some WBB coaches they pursued turned them down and then they are having to go back to the drawing board to interview more candidates? There is way too little known to just assume they don't care about making a good hire. If they wanted to hire someone quickly maybe they could have just promoted Jackie Stiles but at least they didn't do that. You saying its not a priority could just be them doing due diligence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
What, as opposed to the priority they gave it the last 4 years when Coale let it wither and last year when she abandoned her team during Black LivesMatter discussions? I would rather have them get it right by waiting a bit than rush it and get it wrong. Unless you really felt Langley should have gotten the job (I didn’t) no one worthwhile has landed at another program to cause consternation. Seems like they still have all their options open for assistant coaches or Mid-major HC’s
I think Harris should have been their top choice, actually, and then Langley. Letting them both get away is a bad, imo. You make a good point about no one else “worthwhile” (though that’s not the word I would have used, I know what you mean) landing anywhere else - except Harris, imo.

Heck, maybe I’m wrong and they are ironing out he details to steal Jeff Walz away from Louisville. I just think that the discrepancy between the programs isn’t a good look. I guess it will boil down to whom they hire.

Reaction Score
Good luck recruiting All Americans to Montana., No offense to Montana but it would be a step down from any WAC school. Sometimes interviews are done for $$$ leverage.

Reaction Score
Good luck recruiting All Americans to Montana., .
Well good luck recruiting All Americans to pretty much any non P6 school , right?

out west there’s the PAC, Gonzaga, and BYU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom