Coaches "are intent on filling two more scholarships." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaches "are intent on filling two more scholarships."

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

We need to get o
Maybe it's just my perception but used on lots of guys that really hurt the APR. Guys like Darius Smith, Antonio Kellogg, etc. when we had those large recruiting years (6 open I think). Maybe it's not worth filling the roster for bad fits. Then again, guys like Austrie worked.

We really need to get away from this APR academics at all costs mindset. We got caught and punished - lets target passable APRs not perfect scores. I would much rather bring in some talent than scholars.

Reaction Score
After Miller's commitment today UCONN has two more scholarships left and as per Dom in his article (http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83332393/) Ollie intends to use both for next year.

I am little surprised but if true, combined with Ollie's earlier statements about closing in on some recruits soon, it looks like we will have some more good news for next year's team coming in the next few weeks.

I am sure the next two scholarships will address 1) BALL HANDLING current team's biggest weakness; Adams has real nice handle but I don't want a freshman being our only primary ball handler (don't really trust TSam and jury is still out on Cassell Jr), would be great if we could get a more experienced ball handler to help Adams and 2) perimeter shooting.

Ball handing is #1, z-buster#2. Fr Adams and Fr whomever as PG are still Fr so unless we get another 5th yr as PG we'll need shoring up there. I expect better-anyways handles from Purv, TSam and Hammy but still fear the big-quick PG teams.

Reaction Score
We need to get o

We really need to get away from this APR academics at all costs mindset. We got caught and punished - lets target passable APRs not perfect scores. I would much rather bring in some talent than scholars.

Transfers are what can kill your APR. When you reach for players who aren't good enough to play here, there is very good chance they transfer and a decent chance they cost you an APR point.

Reaction Score
Transfers are what can kill your APR. When you reach for players who aren't good enough to play here, there is very good chance they transfer and a decent chance they cost you an APR point.

This.

The concern isn't that we take academic risks late in the recruiting year. The concern is we take lousy basketball players who we try to force out the door in a year or two. Unless transfers are really good academically (I think they need a >2.6 GPA), they cost a point.

This is exactly what killed our APR in the 2007-2010 timeframe. It wasn't just poor students, it was poor basketball players/decent-but-not-good-enough students.

And, APR aside, I'd rather not take a kid who we know we're going to recruit over in a few years and who might gum up the works scholarship-wise.

Reaction Score
We need to get o

Kind Sir Chief:
I apprehend that the focus on academics is born of a healthy distrust of the NCAA and the relish with which they censure our basketball programs. The objective being to avoid eligibility pitfalls and force them to grin and award championship trophies.

Reaction Score
As someone that really wants a zone buster, I hope the bank is closed!

Happy to read this quote about filling them!
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs is a name that I've heard as a possibility. He would add valuable experience and more importantly a solid ball handler

Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs is a name that I've heard as a possibility. He would add valuable experience and more importantly a solid ball handler
He wouldn't have to sit out a year?

Reaction Score
I recall the year Napier was recruited, he was a late add. Didn't he move up a year to join the huskies?
Is it possible Ollie could be looking at 2016 recruit that might be available now?

Yea. I guess this could have been answered, but I was a jr when he committed and he was supposed to be '12 but reclassified very late with the intent of coming here.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs would be perfect. Is the staff working on him/is it realistic to think he may come here?

Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs would be perfect. Is the staff working on him/is it realistic to think he may come here?

I don't think he has even expressed interest in transferring. People just noted that he'd be immediately eligible if he did, but he has to want to transfer first, and he's not forced to like Miller was.

Reaction Score
A good case can be made that the staff will roll with the Omar Calhoun/Sam Jr. duo instead of adding a 5th yr grad transfer shooter type addition. The more I think about it ...I don't see Ollie recruiting over either 1 of these guys. Recruiting over in this case meaning reducing potential minutes. The only way that happens could be IF the player they decide to consider is just a BIG TIME talent. UConn may not be into recruiting JUCO players (my guess is they really aren't) but a real good 1 with 2 years of eligibility can be worked into the system next year and flourish in his final year. That may be a tough sell on a JC kid with high major potential (the pool is dwindling anyways).

It is what it is...I would like to add but it isn't that easy. Definitely guys out there that we are not pursuing.

Reaction Score
A good case can be made that the staff will roll with the Omar Calhoun/Sam Jr. duo instead of adding a 5th yr grad transfer shooter type addition. The more I think about it ...I don't see Ollie recruiting over either 1 of these guys. Recruiting over in this case meaning reducing potential minutes. The only way that happens could be IF the player they decide to consider is just a BIG TIME talent. UConn may not be into recruiting JUCO players (my guess is they really aren't) but a real good 1 with 2 years of eligibility can be worked into the system next year and flourish in his final year. That may be a tough sell on a JC kid with high major potential (the pool is dwindling anyways).

It is what it is...I would like to add but it isn't that easy. Definitely guys out there that we are not pursuing.

Not saying they will go this route. Nothing indicates they are. But SCJR came from the Junior college ranks.

Reaction Score

Well I agree that from the outside looking in it doesn't seem that KO has anyone on his radar. Though from the quote in the article and him focusing on true point guards like the one we lost out to Marquette on I'm sure he might have someone on his mind. Do you really want TSAM and Sam Jr. as your backup guards? I know I don't feel comfortable with them especially with OC as the only other option. We just seem very weak at those 1-3 backup positions.

Reaction Score
Not saying they will go this route. Nothing indicates they are. But SCJR came from the Junior college ranks.

Not sure if he is 1 of the few exceptions. I am just speculating though.

Reaction Score
Well I agree that from the outside looking in it doesn't seem that KO has anyone on his radar. Though from the quote in the article and him focusing on true point guards like the one we lost out to Marquette on I'm sure he might have someone on his mind. Do you really want TSAM and Sam Jr. as your backup guards? I know I don't feel comfortable with them especially with OC as the only other option. We just seem very weak at those 1-3 backup positions.
I don't disagree that adding a player would be the right move. There are guys out there that can help us. What we really need is a guy that can come in and hit 50 + 3's at a 40% clip. The staff may think Omar & Sam Jr. will be the answer. I think J. Adams has a shot to hit +60 from behind the arc in 2015-16 at close to a 40% clip (probably 38%'ish but maybe 40%).

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
I understand that a LOT of people are down on SCJR.. But I wouldn't underestimate what he will be able to bring with a year in the program under his belt and being completely healthy. Let the hate begin, but I think he can bring some of what we need..

Reaction Score
I understand that a LOT of people are down on SCJR.. But I wouldn't underestimate what he will be able to bring with a year in the program under his belt and being completely healthy. Let the hate begin, but I think he can bring some of what we need..

Maybe he can, but it would be irresponsible to going into this season relying on heavy minutes from Cassell or Samuel. I'm sure that the staff is still working on some potential additions, and there will be more transfers announced at the end of the semester.

Reaction Score
I do agree with you that I have more faith in Sam I am having an impact next year than TSAM. I liked how SCassell ran the offense in the minutes he got. I think KO actually preferred him running the offense when RB was out than TSAM based on his substitution patterns this season. I love TSAM's energy but he just isn't a point guard unless we play a team like AZ St. who puts no pressure on the ball all season long. LOL!

Reaction Score
No hate but what leads you to believe this? I know that he was battling injuries and has room for improvement but he was awful both offensively and defensively. I would love nothing more than to see him make substantial progress but 28% from the field and a defensive liability is not someone I want to have to count on next season.

Reaction Score
Id rather not use the scholarships just for the sake of using them. If it came to giving them out to projects like Michael Bradley or Ben Eaves, id rather not use them

What about projects like Austrie and Armstrong and Thabeet? It's nice that we don't want projects who don't become valuable contributors, but it would be nice if we recognized that there is no way of knowing for sure which projects will develop and which won't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom