Coaches "are intent on filling two more scholarships." | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaches "are intent on filling two more scholarships."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Austrie and Thabeet both started Day 1. I don't think I'd call either of them "projects," at least in the sense that we use the word to describe Bradley or Eaves. I don't even think Austrie improved very much at UConn.

Reaction Score
No hate but what leads you to believe this? I know that he was battling injuries and has room for improvement but he was awful both offensively and defensively. I would love nothing more than to see him make substantial progress but 28% from the field and a defensive liability is not someone I want to have to count on next season.
If you watched the games where he came into relieve RB at the point and run the offense he did pretty well. Definitely better than TSAM. The problem his shooting and shot selection are still awful. Though if he can improve on that and run the offense well he would be a great backup point guard for next year. Hopefully the injury was the reason his shooting and quickness were so off last year.

Reaction Score
If you watched the games where he came into relieve RB at the point and run the offense he did pretty well. Definitely better than TSAM. The problem his shooting and shot selection are still awful. Though if he can improve on that and run the offense well he would be a great backup point guard for next year. Hopefully the injury was the reason his shooting and quickness were so off last year.

I watched those games, and everything you've said here is wrong. His shot selection wasn't even the problem. He just missed a lot. He wasn't able to functionally run the point because he's not quick enough to get past anyone.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I watched those games, and everything you've said here is wrong. His shot selection wasn't even the problem. He just missed a lot. He wasn't able to functionally run the point because he's not quick enough to get past anyone.

People are higher on SCJ because they haven't seen him play in as long. Nothing more to it.

Reaction Score
Look at Ollie's recruiting task from a 2 year perspective.

2015 now looks so much better with Miller committed, but the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes need to be historic. To have 13 scholarship players after the 2016 and 2017 classes, we need to recruit a minimum of TEN players, likely ELEVEN to replace Hamilton, and POSSIBLY TWELVE if Adams proved good enough to go after a sophomore season. Enoch could be the last man standing. 10-12 players in 2 recruiting classes seems huge given the competition for talent. Clearly we will be too 'class heavy' in those years so I would expect transfers, juco, 5th year players, and unused ships to get sprinkled in so we don't have more than 5 recruits in any one year with 4 years eligibility. This year we offered everybody, had obvious needs to give playing time, and still missed on so many. Getting 3 good recruits a year should keep a program competitive nationally, but if we do just that we'll have only 7-8 players. Recruiting in volume will sometimes have to be at the same positions so it will be very interesting.

On my greed list I hope it includes both Kegler and Samuels, and both Gilbert and Gibbs, as well as Zach Brown and Mathias. Throw in an unknown German 6'9 who shoots the 3 at 40% or better, and all is well. (Have not seen Bradley or Davis play but you can add them in too)

Reaction Score
What about projects like Austrie and Armstrong and Thabeet? It's nice that we don't want projects who don't become valuable contributors, but it would be nice if we recognized that there is no way of knowing for sure which projects will develop and which won't
To be fair you don't not start a 7'3" center when you have a team of freshman

Reaction Score
I don't like to throw these sort of statements around casually, but if UConn signs Gibbs they instantly become one of the best teams in the country, IMO. Gibbs is that good.

Reaction Score
I don't like to throw these sort of statements around casually, but if UConn signs Gibbs they instantly become one of the best teams in the country, IMO. Gibbs is that good.
Seriously- it also relieves Jalen Adams of starting point guard duties as a freshman. Having the option to bring Adams off the bench is quite the luxury.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Seriously- it also relieves Jalen Adams of starting point guard duties as a freshman. Having the option to bring Adams off the bench is quite the luxury.
Have you heard anything about the gibbs brothers and Uconn?

Reaction Score
Gibbs would be a big time get and would perhaps explain why we haven't heard anything about other graduate transfers who are guards. Gibbs + another wing would be ideal.

But I'll believe UConn is a serious contender for a New Jersey kid when it actually happens.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="BLUEDOGHOUSE, post: 1303232, member: 981". The more I think about it ...I don't see Ollie recruiting over either 1 of these guys. .[/QUOTE]

I don't see Ollie recruiting under either of these guys.

Reaction Score

Exactly. Gibbs replicates 95% of what Boat gave us on offense, but with a better, more-polished supporting cast, and now Adams can play the '02 Ben Gordon role off the bench, only playing point guard some of the time. That's a Final Four caliber roster, provided any of Enoch/Nolan/Facey is good enough to be a regular rotation player.

Reaction Score
with all the chatter I think it's time the gibbs brothers get their own thread on here.. waddya say guys?

Reaction Score
Why would Gibbs be allowed to play immediately if he transfers? Is he graduating from SH or expecting a waiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom